Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006

The 1994 PC version of Road Rash was undoubtedly the culmination of Early 90s culture.

- A grunge soundtrack featuring Hammerbox, Swervedriver, and Alice in Chains
- Digitized photograph sprites like Mortal Kombat and Doom
- FMV cutscenes
- Most importantly: 90s Sport Bikes

The game is about illegal motorcycle racing around California, and heavily features punching cops. Who cares. If I wanted to talk about the game I would have posted this in Games.

I want to talk about the motorcycles in these rad cutscenes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZ4P6DdPmU0

It looks like most of the identifying markings have been removed, but I bet we can figure out which bikes are featured in these cutscenes. 11 year old MSPain always wanted to know, and now it's time to find out.

For instance I'm pretty sure the cover art is a a Ducati 851 chasing a GSX-R750. Both with weird paint jobs.

What do you spot?

MSPain fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jul 28, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Oh hey, this came up in another thread a couple years ago almost to the day.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The intro vid for the 3DO Road Rash is basically a readout of every thought I had in the early 90s:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlfrJDglTMQ

Incidentally, anyone able to ID the debadged bikes in that? The blue and white one is obviously an RGV250, the yellow one is (99% certain) an FZR1000 Exup, the grey/red/black one is I'm *fairly* sure a CBR600 (could be a 'blade but AFAIK they never did a Fireblade with an enclosed frame like that), but there's three that have me baffled.

The red one doing the burnout from the cops - Ducati 888 is the most obvious choice but the front air intake is in completely the wrong place, and there's no vents in the fairing - could be one of the dozens of weird regional variations I suppose (also odd that they'd not use the 916 but whatever).

The white/blue/red one doing the wheelie has got me completely baffled though - the colour scheme and vents are 100% Honda but all of their sports bikes of the era had twin lights. Only Suzuki were doing single squarish lights in the early 90s, but all of their bikes of that era were way fatter, and it has what looks like a single exhaust with expansion chamber - there *was* an RG125 but it had the same big square arse all Suzukis of the era had. Also it's wheelying with a *lot* of confidence for a 90s 125. Any ideas?

There's also a mostly-white one you only see for a couple of frames in the background that *might* be a Fireblade but you really can't see enough of it to tell.

Phy posted:

Yellow - yeah, it's a FZR. From the wikipedia article for road rash 2: " The yellow Yamaha FZR1000 featured on the cover was Breen's (one of the game devs) own bike, and would later be featured in the full-motion videos of the 32-bit versions of Road Rash."78

Red - Ducati 851?

White/blue/red - I wanna say Yamaha TZR250? Maybe in this color scheme, and the blue is just the bluish gray overlain by the purple filter?

Re: video Red Bike

Finger Prince posted:

I think it's a 900SS.

That's about as far as we got though.

E: was this the cover you're talking about? Definitely an 851, haven't identified the other bike yet.

Phy fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jul 28, 2022

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Looks like an NSR250R.

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
oh that's absolutely it

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
O for the days when you could buy a motorcycle with the cigarette advertising preinstalled

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
There's a bright yellow FZR 1000 in some of the videos

LodeRunner
Dec 27, 2003

Go on, take the money and run.
Thankfully because I'm a total waste of everything on the internet I made sure to make friends with one of the devs years ago, Dan Geisler. Make sure to creep on him on reddit https://old.reddit.com/user/dgeisler

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’m the guy wheelieing with his hand off the throttle.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I’m the guy wheelieing with his hand off the throttle.

the throttle is the w key. even in the 90s keyboards supported multiple simultaneous keypresses???

or was it the up arrow

Cactus Ghost fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Dec 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Real road rashers have an old-school throttle lock on their bar ends so they can chain or billy-club ambidextrously. It's why the bikes go so goddamn far if you get punched off.