Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Road rash, Moto Racer, Tourist Trophy. All the bike games one needs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

It’s the lack of chain whipping that bums me out

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

ought ten posted:

Beat me to it.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Tourist trophy is the only reason I still possess a ps2 somewhere.

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

I typed random avatar and this happened.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The first motoracer is gloriously fun. Specially the dedicated wheelie button.

Rad soundtrack too.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

ought ten posted:

I may never get to launch off the tallest hill in Hawaii and swing a chain around my head pretending I'm a helicopter

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
The intro vid for the 3DO Road Rash is basically a readout of every thought I had in the early 90s:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlfrJDglTMQ

Incidentally, anyone able to ID the debadged bikes in that? The blue and white one is obviously an RGV250, the yellow one is (99% certain) an FZR1000 Exup, the grey/red/black one is I'm *fairly* sure a CBR600 (could be a 'blade but AFAIK they never did a Fireblade with an enclosed frame like that), but there's three that have me baffled.

The red one doing the burnout from the cops - Ducati 888 is the most obvious choice but the front air intake is in completely the wrong place, and there's no vents in the fairing - could be one of the dozens of weird regional variations I suppose (also odd that they'd not use the 916 but whatever).

The white/blue/red one doing the wheelie has got me completely baffled though - the colour scheme and vents are 100% Honda but all of their sports bikes of the era had twin lights. Only Suzuki were doing single squarish lights in the early 90s, but all of their bikes of that era were way fatter, and it has what looks like a single exhaust with expansion chamber - there *was* an RG125 but it had the same big square arse all Suzukis of the era had. Also it's wheelying with a *lot* of confidence for a 90s 125. Any ideas?

There's also a mostly-white one you only see for a couple of frames in the background that *might* be a Fireblade but you really can't see enough of it to tell.

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jul 29, 2020

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

MomJeans420 posted:

I loved that game but it left me disappointed as an adult that jumping over cows on a sportbike really isn't a part of my day to day riding experience

get a sumo

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

goddamnedtwisto posted:

the yellow one is (99% certain) an FZR1000 Exup

The red one doing the burnout from the cops - Ducati 888 is the most obvious choice but the front air intake is in completely the wrong place, and there's no vents in the fairing - could be one of the dozens of weird regional variations I suppose (also odd that they'd not use the 916 but whatever).

The white/blue/red one doing the wheelie has got me completely baffled though - the colour scheme and vents are 100% Honda but all of their sports bikes of the era had twin lights. Only Suzuki were doing single squarish lights in the early 90s, but all of their bikes of that era were way fatter, and it has what looks like a single exhaust with expansion chamber - there *was* an RG125 but it had the same big square arse all Suzukis of the era had. Also it's wheelying with a *lot* of confidence for a 90s 125. Any ideas?

There's also a mostly-white one you only see for a couple of frames in the background that *might* be a Fireblade but you really can't see enough of it to tell.

Yellow - yeah, it's a FZR. From the wikipedia article for road rash 2: " The yellow Yamaha FZR1000 featured on the cover was Breen's (one of the game devs) own bike, and would later be featured in the full-motion videos of the 32-bit versions of Road Rash."

Red - Ducati 851?

White/blue/red - I wanna say Yamaha TZR250? Maybe in this color scheme, and the blue is just the bluish gray overlain by the purple filter?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Hey can someone post the heterosexuality is dead to me pic?

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Tyvm

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Blessed.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

If I could make a forum background, I would use this

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Phy posted:

Yellow - yeah, it's a FZR. From the wikipedia article for road rash 2: " The yellow Yamaha FZR1000 featured on the cover was Breen's (one of the game devs) own bike, and would later be featured in the full-motion videos of the 32-bit versions of Road Rash."

Red - Ducati 851?

Front intake is still wrong, it's under the light like a contemporary Ninja, and there's no fairing vents at all which is pretty unique for a 90s bike, especially a Ducati. Maybe some sort of after-market fairing? Not many bikes in those days had 2 exhausts like that, AFAIK that was a pretty uniquely Ducati thing at the time.

Phy posted:

White/blue/red - I wanna say Yamaha TZR250? Maybe in this color scheme, and the blue is just the bluish gray overlain by the purple filter?

That's definitely it, look at all those lovely 90s vents and intakes - excellent spot.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Front intake is still wrong, it's under the light like a contemporary Ninja, and there's no fairing vents at all which is pretty unique for a 90s bike, especially a Ducati. Maybe some sort of after-market fairing? Not many bikes in those days had 2 exhausts like that, AFAIK that was a pretty uniquely Ducati thing at the time.

What's the timestamp on the one you're thinking of? I'm pretty confident that the red boi at 0:31 and 1:01 is an 851, the mirror and indicator shapes match, you can make out the NACA cutouts in the fairing down by the level of the front axle, and the 851 does have dual exhausts. It does look like the one in the video has slab-sided fairings where the one I posted has a vent by the rider's knee, though... maybe I'm wrong. e: no vertical nostrils next to the light, either, but it does appear to have a trellis frame. Ok, going back on the 851 idea... but maybe something based on it?

Phy fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jul 30, 2020

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I think it's a 900SS.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Finger Prince posted:

I think it's a 900SS.

You know that was the *exact* bike I thought it was first but when I wiki'd it to confirm they only really talk about the half-faired versions of it so I just assumed I had it confused with the 888, which was their WSB bike at the time.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

You know that was the *exact* bike I thought it was first but when I wiki'd it to confirm they only really talk about the half-faired versions of it so I just assumed I had it confused with the 888, which was their WSB bike at the time.

I probably wouldn't have known, but when I did my test yonks ago there was a guy there with a full faired one who duck walked it around the slalom cones and I remember it distinctly.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

goddamnedtwisto posted:

That's definitely it, look at all those lovely 90s vents and intakes - excellent spot.
Disturbing how many of those ducts are not NACA ducts. A shameful and sad fairing.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Finger Prince posted:

I think it's a 900SS.

Good call. That's a way better match.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Having a mid-life crisis? Did you just divorce your wife of 25 years? Want to impress your Asian mail order bride?

Maybe you should buy an Indian.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’m the photoshopped tearing of the picture.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I’m the photoshopped tearing of the picture.

That's not photoshopped, this was the envelope that Indian sent some promo materials to me in.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
The new Indian bikes are a joy to ride. Especially the challenger model. At the demo event, they have comparable Harleys lined up, so you can feel the difference and never buy Harley garbage ever again.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Nitrox posted:

The new Indian bikes are a joy to ride. Especially the challenger model. At the demo event, they have comparable Harleys lined up, so you can feel the difference and never buy Harley garbage ever again.

Odd you make a crack about Harley garbage after mentioning the Challenger, which has a front fairing that looks like a Rubbermaid garbage can. (I have no love for Harley either.)

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

I test road a Chief in 2015, i thought the clutch was pretty heavy.

The 1200 FTR looks cool though.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Jazzzzz posted:

Odd you make a crack about Harley garbage after mentioning the Challenger, which has a front fairing that looks like a Rubbermaid garbage can. (I have no love for Harley either.)

Okay. First of all, fairings made of rubbermaid garbage cans is a time honored ADVrider tradition and I'll thank you not to get so elitist.

Second of all that challenger actually looks rad where the harley big fairing bikes look weird and badly proportioned.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Get with the times. The new hotness is cutting board bash plates.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Jazzzzz posted:

I don't care how it looks, it rides better. Shifting a Harley Davidson transmission it's like stirring rocks in a bucket.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nitrox posted:

I don't care how it looks, it rides better. Shifting a Harley Davidson transmission it's like stirring rocks in a bucket.

A big twin sure, Sportster is butter smooth though.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Nitrox posted:

I think naming your bike Challenger is weird, though. It's like admitting you're not the first choice. See also: Dodge Challenger cfr Ford Mustang.

Why are American bikes sooo heavy? It weighs 508lbs. A Harley Street Rod "in running order" is 525lbs. A Ducati Monster 797 is 425, and an MT-07 is 403. I wonder how much the Harley Bronx will weigh if it ever gets released.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Toe Rag posted:

Why are American bikes sooo heavy?

they have to carry american riders.

also the riders they have to carry don't believe in technology like aluminum.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Toe Rag posted:

I think naming your bike Challenger is weird, though. It's like admitting you're not the first choice. See also: Dodge Challenger cfr Ford Mustang.

Why are American bikes sooo heavy? It weighs 508lbs. A Harley Street Rod "in running order" is 525lbs. A Ducati Monster 797 is 425, and an MT-07 is 403. I wonder how much the Harley Bronx will weigh if it ever gets released.

Comparing huge cruisers, where the intent of the bike is something deliberately massive, to approachable middleweight naked bikes is dumb. A fairer comparison would be VMAX, boulevard m109 and similar.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I meant the FTR1200. I forgot I edited out of my post. I think comparing the FTR to the Monster is fair. Street Rod maybe less but they don’t really offer anything closer.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
What's wrong with the motorcycle being heavier than some sort of arbitrary minimum? Do you have to walk it up hill on daily basis or something?

Long wheelbase, low center of gravity, and heft, are the perfect combination for swallowing highway miles. Especially on imperfect American roads. If the suspension is tuned for the weight, it works. Seeing 100K miles on the Goldwing, ST, Concourse or Harley variant of sorts is really not uncommon for that reason. Hell, my current touring bike is nt700, weighting in at 540 lbs, and it's the lightest in the group.

Edit: my cb1100 is actually exactly the same weight, but somehow it is less comfortable, and less predictable on tight mountain roads. It sure has more power, but I'd rather ride the NT most of the days, especially when highway are involved. And since it's a picture thread, here is the current stable

And yes, I know people have done Alaska tours on Ninja 250s, but those are not normal people.

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Aug 3, 2020

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Toe Rag posted:

I’ve never had the impression this is much of a thing in the US (potentially I could see a link to the American Dream in that everyone has to start somewhere, but it seems like that might be a bit of a stretch given the general fetishisation of being the winningest or whatever), but in Australian culture, the underdog has a special place in our psyche.

So much so that every loving election, even the party with the clear lead in the polls will be incessantly talking about how they’re the underdog. 🙄

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Nitrox posted:

What's wrong with the motorcycle being heavier than some sort of arbitrary minimum? Do you have to walk it up hill on daily basis or something?

Long wheelbase, low center of gravity, and heft, are the perfect combination for swallowing highway miles. Especially on imperfect American roads. If the suspension is tuned for the weight, it works. Seeing 100K miles on the Goldwing, ST, Concourse or Harley variant of sorts is really not uncommon for that reason. Hell, my current touring bike is nt700, weighting in at 540 lbs, and it's the lightest in the group.

Edit: my cb1100 is actually exactly the same weight, but somehow it is less comfortable, and less predictable on tight mountain roads. It sure has more power, but I'd rather ride the NT most of the days, especially when highway are involved. And since it's a picture thread, here is the current stable

And yes, I know people have done Alaska tours on Ninja 250s, but those are not normal people.

As weight increases, almost every other performance aspect decreases (obviously). Comparing different bikes soley on weight and make judgements thereof is dumb, yes, and not what I was trying to do. I've just noticed how heavy both the Street Rod and FTR1200 are compared to bikes which could reasonably be cross-shopped on basis of price, performance, and category. I probably should have cited the MT-09 or Monster 821 instead as the performance is probably more closely aligned, but the weights are about the same as the MT-07/797. Weighing 500lbs (or whatever) isn't necessarily a bad thing, but when similar bikes are substantially lighter (50-80lbs), it makes me wonder.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
Weight is a feature!

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Nitrox posted:

I did my month long motocamping tour on an EX250 and thought it to be pretty splendid for the task. Plenty of power for the highways, good aerodynamics, and ridiculous 300+ mile range. Stock seat, too.

I'd probably want a vstrom with cases if I did it again, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Coydog posted:

I did my month long motocamping tour on an EX250 and thought it to be pretty splendid for the task. Plenty of power for the highways, good aerodynamics, and ridiculous 300+ mile range. Stock seat, too.

I'd probably want a vstrom with cases if I did it again, though.
I was probably referring to you, I remember pictures and write up from a few years back. Kudos.

At some point I had an EX250, Ninja 500 and zg1000 concourse at the same time, under one roof. The smaller bikes were specifically purchased to teach people how to ride and get them to breeze through the license test. Maybe I'm too fat at my old age, but 450 mi trip on the ex500 took about twice to effort then it did on the Concourse. Everything from extra wind, noise, pressure on the wrists, seat comfort and even more padding on the pegs, everything mattered. Double the horsepower/torque of the big touring bike was also nice.

When I see people ride something like that around the world, I have a burning suspicion they are riding it not because it's the best tool for the job. Maybe it's more economical, maybe it's simply the only bike they could afford, I don't know. But I feel it maybe similar to marrying your high school sweetheart, you may just not know any better. Like, I've done it myself, rode an EN500 from Philadelphia to Kiev, via port of Lisbon over just 7 days. That's 500km/daily. Never again. Ukrainian country roads still have WW2 shell craters ffs

Gullous posted:

Weight is a feature!
I see your sarcasm, but do you seriously not understand what role it plays when it comes to stability and comfort?