Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.

SorePotato posted:

No but see if we kill all the diabetics we can all focus our lives on growing lovely carrots that we can trade back and forth

harvesting veggies seems like a sore spot for you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

tokin opposition posted:

sowing, reaping, and so on

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

tokin opposition posted:

im going to turn you into a veggie via nine iron

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

tokin opposition posted:

Me handing a basket of a dozen awful lovely carrots to my neighbor: "I apologize for the insane lead and other toxic metal content. I grew this in my yard" My neighbor: "no worries my lovely garbage tomatoes are also tainted by the toxic earth"

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

eat your fingernails/the skin around your fingernails and pick dry skin out of your scalp and eat that

drink your piss

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
me and my neighbors grew a fuckload of vegetables during roni and ate hella free food for a while there. it was badass. some of the tomatoes were huge

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
my peppers have only recently started sprouting flowers due to the hideous heat. happy that they're doing it at all and i won't have to worry about frost until December if even then. loving the changes.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Just lmao at getting mad at gardeners.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.

SorePotato posted:

Me handing a basket of a dozen awful lovely carrots to my neighbor: "I apologize for the insane lead and other toxic metal content. I grew this in my yard" My neighbor: "no worries my lovely garbage tomatoes are also tainted by the toxic earth"

Hydroponics keeps winning

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

SorePotato posted:

this mfer growing carrots on zug island or something lol

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Is there a good book, or article talking about Monsanto's rise to and current dominance of crop varieties?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/gates-funded-green-revolution-in-africa-has-failed-critics-say/

Speaking of monsanto, the Gate's model in Africa has been exactly the same.

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽
Bumping a good thread, also wondering if some kind of reeducation would be needed to get farming demand for some of the less efficient, more destructive foods (talkin beef) down to a reasonable level. And what would that look like?

I assume something like this

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

TheSlutPit posted:

this mfer growing carrots on zug island or something lol

Planet Earth, yes

stumblebum
May 8, 2022

no, what you want to do is get somebody mad enough to give you a red title you're proud of
when it comes to western society abundant meat is gonna be abolished by capitalism running production off a cliff and destroying its own profitability before any left politics have a chance to ramp it down for moral reasons. by that point people will already have no choice but to eat draft animal four times a year and mealworm-lentil patties the rest of the time

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Yeah unless an alternative materializes it seems pretty well culturally ingrained. You might be able to pull fake meat patties when beef is too expensive to buy, but I dunno if it's possible to course correct into a stable system and maintain politics as it is.

Somebody isolated a kind of fungus from Yellowstone thermal vents that can be cultivated & they claim it nutritionally replaces meat, & can be formed into various cuts and textures. They also patented it.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Mostly vegetarian (free) school food could be a good choice for the long term. Get kids used to eating meals that are not centered on meat, maybe even teach them how to make daal in high school.

We have an ongoing discussion at work, where the old guys think there's too little meat, especially once a month or so when they do full vegetarian, but the younger crowd wants more and better vegetarian options (such as an actual vegetarian dish, not just beef stew minus the beef).

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

tbh I think the only """feasible""" is mass reeducation, getting rid of all meat subsidies (and downstream meat subsidies - no more subsidized feed crops), and perhaps legal requirements to have vegan or vegetarian options at all restaurants. Add in a carbon tax to all meat production, maybe subsidize aquaponics for fish.

the only effective solution is probably our friend, climate stalin. eat the beans or die, we have a thousand miles of electric rail to lay today

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
Eat all the loving meat you want now. Record yourself even. If there is electricity in the eco-fascist society that we'll eventually morph into, then you can prove to the illegally-born children that there used to be so much food that people were fat.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

stumblebum posted:

when it comes to western society abundant meat is gonna be abolished by capitalism running production off a cliff and destroying its own profitability before any left politics have a chance to ramp it down for moral reasons. by that point people will already have no choice but to eat draft animal four times a year and mealworm-lentil patties the rest of the time

sounds like capitalism owns

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

sounds like capitalism owns

Ownership is the core of capitalism, yes.

8923_2
Aug 9, 2023

quote:

What is the leftist anwser to growing, harvesting, and processing food?

non-issue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

me and who????