Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

The Bloop posted:

I'm only slightly less than this

I really like enjoying the emotions fiction can bring

I've gotten emotional just thinking about songs from shows and movies

:hfive:

Yeah I could probably make myself cry just by thinking about Theoden making his speech and leading the Rohirrim to the White City.

One of my absolute favorite lines in any movie that exists..... "And Rohan will answer...." loving goosebumps galore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDBPmEAheCY

edit: omg I might have to put on Two Towers or Return of the King tonight. I'll be playing games and getting drunk (almost there) and smoking weed so it wouldn't be bad to have that on in the background. X2 (x-men 2) is on atm. Not my favorite but one of my favorite scenes. Colossus turning into steel and blowing some cops threw a wall. I LOVE Colossus.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Aug 29, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
There's a lot of media that I loved as a kid/teen/young adult that I find very hard to revisit for a lot of reasons.

Heavy Metal is not one of them.

As dumb as this sounds, I think Taarna has somehow become my least favorite segment over the years.

Crackwhore Barrel
Mar 10, 2012

Galaxy Quest and Hamlet 2

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

JediTalentAgent posted:

Heavy Metal is not one of them.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I really need to find one of my old TBS/TNT recordings of it from video tape because I probably watched that so many times in the 90s that the odd edits burned themselves into my mind. Rewatching it now, there's a scene in Harry Canyon for the Turner edit had this really strange cut that I remember so well that I instictually remember it as the transition/whole scene.

Then when I'm watching the unedited version: "Oh, yeah, this movie DOES have nudity, drugs, and swearing."

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

JediTalentAgent posted:

As dumb as this sounds, I think Taarna has somehow become my least favorite segment over the years.

Wait until this guy learns about anime

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I only saw part of Heavy Metal when I was young. Maybe 13 or something. All I remember is the B-29 or whatever scene with the skeleton zombies.

Although the South Park episode introduced me to this song which I really like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYqEgFEkxek

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
It's not even that, though. It just feels like Taarna's segment has so much less personality than the rest of the segments and I tend to remember it the least. I'm not saying I hate that segment, but I think it's just my least favorite compared to the rest. 20 years ago? I probably would have said it was the best and the alien abduction segment was my least favorite.

But over the years everyone I knew who saw the movie seems to think Taarna is the best segment and I'll hear so many people throw around their least favorite. I was surprised for a long time that the WWII segment that was unpopular with a number of folks I knew.

I really disliked HM2000 and that movie feels so much like an attempt to recreate a Taarna-like figure, so maybe that's also tainted my opinion of Taarna's segment in general.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I have a weird emotional thing with movies. When I was younger it was far worse in which I get too emotionally involved/sucked into the movie that it can get pretty intense. I had to be very careful with which movies I watched. I laugh, actually cry (a lot), all of that stuff. I know that's not really that odd overall. But I have a thing for epic battles. I'm watching Avengers: Endgame right now on TV and it just reminded me of it because the "Avengers.... assemble." scene at the end happened and I tear up. A marvel movie. Tears in my eyes.

One that REALLY does it is the Battle of Helm's Deep in Two Towers. When Eomer and Gandalf charge down the hill I start hyperventilating and tear up. It's just too powerful. It's really weird.

Starship Troopers does it too. The Klendathu Drop. It's just so intense I can barely take it. Again, hyperventilating and possible tears. Not sure why it's epic battles but that's what really does it to me. Also, the music is key.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Rx8_vjbXX4
I'm not this level, but I get more emotional about stuff than is acceptably manly, esp now that I'm older and don't care about having feelings. I watched Starship Troopers this Wednesday and got a little misty when Diz died, because it's sad that the highlight of her life is banging a guy who is not interested in her.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Yeah it really is something else. As far as I know, Verhoeven read a tiny bit of the book and thought it was fascist trash so he made a way over the top fascist movie. He's a genius.

I saw it as a kid in theaters at maybe 14 years old. I joined the Marines in part due to this movie. lol

It wasn't until years later that I found out that the movie was complete satire and I missed the point completely. As did many people.

quick edit: it is kinda nice though when you watch a movie as a kid and it's one movie, but then you see it as an adult and it's an entirely different movie due to your understanding.

Oh yeah it holds up great and fun to notice little stuff on rewatch. Like how during the Rico gets a psychic nudge from Doogie about where to go in the caves. Realized that the odds were this was going to get Rico killed but Doogie did it anyway to try to get the brain bug.

Also interesting bugs likely had zero awareness of Earth or humans and didn’t possess FTL until one day invaders began attacking because their government wanted a war and they fought back. And with their brain drain abilities they probably now know where Earth is and how FTL works.

SAY YOHO
Oct 5, 2021
I swear I saw somewhere that the subtext of Starship Troopers was that the asteroid impact was a false flag for an attack on Klandathu, but on rewatch I could not find it, other than the fact that they are aliens lacking space tech, but they also somehow evolved to shoot "flak" into space? Yeah, redirecting meteors across interstellar space is a big ask, nevermind the timescales, but that's par for the course in science fiction especially if you evolved to poo poo plasma into space to shoot down invaders.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

SAY YOHO posted:

I swear I saw somewhere that the subtext of Starship Troopers was that the asteroid impact was a false flag for an attack on Klandathu, but on rewatch I could not find it, other than the fact that they are aliens lacking space tech, but they also somehow evolved to shoot "flak" into space? Yeah, redirecting meteors across interstellar space is a big ask, nevermind the timescales, but that's par for the course in science fiction especially if you evolved to poo poo plasma into space to shoot down invaders.

Yeah that came up in the Aliens thread a bit and I don't think I agree with it. I don't think Earth made a false flag attack on us. We're lovely enough to make them want to kill us. Before the bug attack, there was a Mormon outpost set up on one of their planets. So like..... we had people trying to spread the good word of the lord on one of their outer planets. They literally wanted to bring their religion to bugs. And they got slaughtered.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
God help me, I remember liking Starship Troopers 3.

But I also had the strange idea that all three of the ST films are each future media propaganda things. The first film is more obvious, but the second film is a piece of underground counterculture media that is less about the bugs and more about being critical of the Federation/military. The third film is a more akin to a peacetime and post-war satire of human society during and after the bug war.

I know, I'm reading more into the sequels that is likely there, but it's how I feel.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I've never seen the sequels but I've heard at least one of them has their merits. I mean, I should see them at some point.

TK8325
Sep 22, 2014

I have a weird emotional thing with movies. When I was younger it was far worse in which I get too emotionally involved/sucked into the movie that it can get pretty intense. I had to be very careful with which movies I watched. I laugh, actually cry (a lot), all of that stuff. I know that's not really that odd overall. But I have a thing for epic battles. I'm watching Avengers: Endgame right now on TV and it just reminded me of it because the "Avengers.... assemble." scene at the end happened and I tear up. A marvel movie. Tears in my eyes.

One that REALLY does it is the Battle of Helm's Deep in Two Towers. When Eomer and Gandalf charge down the hill I start hyperventilating and tear up. It's just too powerful. It's really weird.

Starship Troopers does it too. The Klendathu Drop. It's just so intense I can barely take it. Again, hyperventilating and possible tears. Not sure why it's epic battles but that's what really does it to me. Also, the music is key.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Rx8_vjbXX4

I had a nice ugly cry at the end of 3000 Years of Longing yesterday at the theater. That movie is really good and it's now in my list of favorites.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I was fine up until the last scene of Portrait of a Lady on Fire and then I loving exploded into tears. I knew how it was going to end, but I didn’t know what that end would look like.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

SAY YOHO posted:

Yeah that came up in the Aliens thread a bit and I don't think I agree with it. I don't think Earth made a false flag attack on us. We're lovely enough to make them want to kill us. Before the bug attack, there was a Mormon outpost set up on one of their planets. So like..... we had people trying to spread the good word of the lord on one of their outer planets. They literally wanted to bring their religion to bugs. And they got slaughtered.

Gonna politely disagree about that. A major theme of the movie is Earth has a lovely fascist government but no external enemy. They want to preserve their power and keep building massive fleets and giant armies but with nothing to do they're gonna have lots of idle well armed folks who might have their own ideas how to run things or get some people asking if the money could be better spent elsewhere. They find scary bugs except they are far far away and no danger to Earth if the tiny number of rocky planets they inhabit are left alone.

Earth could send a steady stream of troops to fight but citizens might get upset with their kids being maimed for nothing. So the Federation needs to make them a threat, and this includes the slaughter of the Mormon outpost, with a decent chance Federation encouraged this faction of dissidents who they don't control to set up shop on that planet and then after the inevitable claimed it had been off limits. But that's not enough for a full scale war so we have the meteor.

Big city on fire, lots of video, Federation doesn't have to tell citizens how to react as they bay for bug blood but are thrilled to take on the solemn duty of kicking off the war. But the only support we have for the claim the bugs sent the meteor is the Federation itself. Why would the bugs send a rock across the galaxy at FTL then hit the brakes when it got close to turn it from an extinction level impact to the mere loss of a city? How do the bugs know where Earth is? Why don't they use FTL for anything else? The Federation propaganda isn't asking, but is quick to claim more rocks are on the way and the Federation is shooting them down to keep everyone safe.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Yeah I get that they absolutely could have done that.... but do you have actual proof?

I've never seen anyone provide any evidence that that's true. Just all speculation and "well it makes sense."

edit: I absolutely hate fan fiction and fan theories so I take most things in movies at face value unless the writer or director specifically answers some dumb fan's burning questions.
I wouldn't be surprised at all if it's true, I've just never seen solid proof.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Aug 29, 2022

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM killed Masen

loving Moron posted:

Dawn of the Dead and Day of the Dead

I doubt I've ever seen anything as much as Dawn and Day is super good/depressing. My younger friends growing up didn't know that the intro to M1A1 - Gorillaz was so great. I had to make ppl watch Day to understand why I like that intro. Night is great, day is always gonna be my fave, and day is just amazing. I will watch the whole film just to see dude's guts ripped outon the table and that was such a well set-up effect

Mackerel Cornflake
Mar 26, 2021

Enami was able to
obtain that cereal
through illegal
channels.

Lots of good movies in this thread. Not too many picks that make me scratch my head and wonder, "why though?" Pretty good taste, everyone.

I'll nth anything by Stanley Kubrick and the Coen Brothers. I rewatched The Hudsucker Proxy the other night and was like, "drat, I forgot how good this is." These days I'm quite partial to their adaptation of True Grit. I watched the John Wayne version a lot as a kid with my aunt and grandmother during weekend sleepovers and I still have a lot of nostalgia for it, but these days I'll pick the Coen Brothers version every time. It's got the same magical quality The Big Lebowski and O Brother Where Art Thou have where pretty much every line is quotable and hilarious.

Since I'm a translator over at the NEET thread, I should prolly post some Japanese picks. Millennium Actress by Satoshi Kon is my go-to movie whenever I feel like I need to cry or I'm feeling nostalgic for Japanese cinema, since it's partially a send-up of the actress Setsuko Hara and the golden age of Japanese cinema in the fifties and sixties. I watch Ikiru by Akira Kurosawa every New Years Eve and it fulfills a similar purpose, but I'll also put it on whenever if I feel I need a classic movie injection.

A film I really like that everyone seems to hate is Darren Aronofsky's The Fountain. I kinda understand why the movie gets the hate it does, for a movie that's all about a love story across time told in three distinct eras--the past, present, and future--it sure seems more interested in Hugh Jackman's suffering than Rachel Weisz's. Like it's a very one-sided selfish kind of love story. Add to that lines like "death is a disease, and I will find the cure," I can see why a lot of people are turned off by it. Separated from all that baggage though, I just find it to be a really gorgeous film with phenomenal music and special effects--the image of a soap bubble in space with a dying tree inside is very unique and I find the whole experience of the film to be oddly calming and mesmerizing. It was one of the first blurays I bought and watching it for the first time in 2006 kinda kicked off the high-definition era for me. That said, while I like Darren Aronofsky as a filmmaker, he strikes me as a somewhat narcissistic personality, and combined with his obsession with graphic violence I understand why people would shy away from his movies. I love them though. The Wrestler is another favorite of mine I'll never get tired of watching.

Mackerel Cornflake fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Aug 29, 2022

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

I only saw part of Heavy Metal when I was young. Maybe 13 or something. All I remember is the B-29 or whatever scene with the skeleton zombies.

Although the South Park episode introduced me to this song which I really like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYqEgFEkxek

it's a great song

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

ChubbyChecker posted:

it's a great song

That whole soundtrack is great, and I'm glad they scrapped the original soundtrack for the ensemble, even if the album that came out of it is great.

Initially, they just hired BOC to do the whole soundtrack. Eventually they reneged on that and opted for the ensemble, kept one BOC song, and BOC released a lot of what they recorded, with some new stuff, as Fire of Unknown Origin.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Hausu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mackerel Cornflake
Mar 26, 2021

Enami was able to
obtain that cereal
through illegal
channels.

Twenty years ago (!) my middle school Japanese teacher subjected our classroom to this absolute gem of a movie. To this day I fondly remember the experience.