Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Dr. Quarex posted:

One of my favorite stories was when I ordered the pork tenderloin at a place (in Illinois, though, not that I knew about the Indiana Tenderloin at the time anyway) and the woman was like "it's pretty big, how many buns do you want?" and I said "what do you recommend?" and she said 4, so I was like "oh, I get it, like a tenderloin so big it is about twice as big as the bun so you need four total buns."

Obviously, no, she meant four sets of buns, and it was about that size so each of the four sets of buns had about two more buns' worth of tenderloin hanging out the side.

I cut it in four pieces and got to work.

As I finished the third Pork Quadrant, she passed by the table and said "I've never actually seen anyone finish one of those" so I said "do I get my name on a plaque?" and she said "no" so I said "O.K., can I have free dessert or something?" and she said "sure!" so I finished it. And the free bag of powdered donuts.

I did not suffer any ill effects from this expedition, but I think that was actually the time where I said "you know what, I am not impressing anyone, and I get nothing out of being the guy who can eat the most, so maybe I should stop"

you are fat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

he probably realized this about the time he was rounding the corner on the 3rd pork quadrant

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Salt and pepper chips.

The unholy, yet incredible combination of British chip shops and Chinese food. Fried spuds, onions, bell and chili peppers, seasoned with a salt / white pepper / chicken essence / spice mix

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

I'm from Stockholm, Sweden, and this is the local version of a hotdog: tunnbrödsrulle "flatbread roll"

Swedish flatbread, made from wheat and rye, mashed potatoes, one or two hotdogs. Toppings are usually mustard & ketchup, relish, crunchy fried onions and räksallad.

Räksallad "shrimp salad" is mostly mayo with small pieces of shrimp and food dye, most of the chunks are celeriac or some bland root vegetable. It's really fake stuff, but it works on a hot dog.

You can get that pink goop on a regular dog too.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

axolotl farmer posted:

I'm from Stockholm, Sweden, and this is the local version of a hotdog: tunnbrödsrulle "flatbread roll"

Swedish flatbread, made from wheat and rye, mashed potatoes, one or two hotdogs. Toppings are usually mustard & ketchup, relish, crunchy fried onions and räksallad.

I never thought of mashed potatoes + hotdog, but I'd try it. What I really want now, though, is to try a rye flatbread wrap with bratwurst, mashed potatoes, sauerkraut, and onions.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
In western Pennsylvania, we have a thing where we put french fries on top of grilled chicken salads and steak salads. I grew up here and thought it was completely normal. When I moved to Florida, everyone thought I was crazy. I don't think they do it on the other side of the state, and I'm pretty sure they don't do it in Ohio, either.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
You are just mad I never took the Big Beef City challenge, but it is never too late :swoon:

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

axolotl farmer posted:

Räksallad "shrimp salad" is mostly mayo with small pieces of shrimp and food dye, most of the chunks are celeriac or some bland root vegetable. It's really fake stuff, but it works on a hot dog.

You can get that pink goop on a regular dog too.

That legit looks good as hell.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

Spuckuk posted:

Salt and pepper chips.

The unholy, yet incredible combination of British chip shops and Chinese food. Fried spuds, onions, bell and chili peppers, seasoned with a salt / white pepper / chicken essence / spice mix

That looks great.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

anatomi posted:

Here in Skåne, Sweden we make a spit cake called spettekaka — or spiddekaga in the Scanian dialect. You'll be shocked to know that spiddekaga translates directly to spit cake.

The spiddekaga itself is about as imaginative as its name:

Eggs, sugar and potato starch is mixed. The batter is then poured onto a roasting spit, sometimes in fancy patterns. The finishing grace usually consists of even more sugar in the form of frosting.

What does a spiddekaga taste like? Eggs and sugar. What's the texture like? So dry that only Ben Shapiro could eat a slice without faltering. It's also very brittle and you'll typically use a hacksaw to cut pieces to preserve the unholy structure.

You can make them very big if you want to:

But such extravagance is especially wasteful in the case of the spiddekaga; the signature dryness means that once the cake's out of the plastic bag (which you can use to asphyxiate yourself) it'll desperately absorb moisture and become a soggy mess.

No-one eats spiddekaga any more. Yet for some reason we have two operating spiddekaga bakeries here in Malmö, a city with a population consisting of young people from other regions and immigrants, so the spiddekaga bakeries make even less sense. I can only assume that these places are fronts for drug operations.

this is insane.

Thank you all so much for sharing these things I love it.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Spuckuk posted:

Salt and pepper chips.

If its anything like the pepper chicken in America that sounds real tasty

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Aside from the typical maple [blank] , blank being syrup, sugar, candy, or just flavor added to anything, Vermont has a few other local/regional things.

In North Western VT and across the lake in the Plattsburgh, NY area we have Michigan Dogs.

The name comes from the Coney Dogs you can get in Detroit, which get their name from Coney Island , which doesn't really have these dogs? I mean...at its core, it's a chili dog, BUT a specific type of chili that, originally, was made by Greek immigrants. So it's not usually hot spicy, but might have flavors of allspice, clove, oregano, etc.. And never, to my recollection, with beans. Also similar to the 'NY System' dogs in parts of CT

Then topped with raw white onions and yellow mustard, on a New England-style hot dog bun.

We also got creamees. What's a creemee? A creamie is just local slang for soft serve ice cream...maple being a very popular flavor, naturally. Some claim the mix used in places around here has a higher milk far percentage, but probably not. No one can decide just how to spell creemie , either.

There's also The Vermonter. A sandwich with honey or maple roasted turkey, sometimes ham, red onion, sharp Vermont cheddar, honey or brown mustard, and apple slices, ideally a local one, and a tart, crisp variety like Macintosh. On whole wheat.

My wife is from the Lake Champlain area, so I am well versed with Michigans. Gene’s Michigan Stand is legit as hell. Like stated above, In RI we also have NY System Wieners, AKA Hot Wieners, which are similar to Michigans, except hot wieners are less sweet and a little less saucy. Gotta have them all the way with mustard and onions. If you go to the Olneyville wiener place, the guys there will load their hairy arms up with wieners for you. It’s the best place to end up at 1am when you’re drunk and hungry in Providence, RI.

My record is 6. Which was a mistake. I got halfway through the fifth and my body started telling my if I don’t finish this one and the next one within the next 30 seconds, it’s not gonna happen at all. So I shoveled them into my mouth and spent the next day on the toilet :thumbsup:

In RI, we’ve also got “pizza strips”. At first glance, it just looks like really disappointing cold pizza with no cheese. And that is correct. I remember being a kid and every now and then someone would mention brining pizza to a party or cookout, and then it ends up being pizza strips. Always really let down. However, as I grew up I realized how awesome they were. They are at every bakery and supermarket in RI. They are cheap, simple, delicious, and efficient. Only got five minutes to eat lunch? Grab a couple pizza strips. Need to bring something to a potluck that everyone will eat but no one asks for? Get a box of pizza strips. They’re very customizable too. Bring a few home and throw a couple olives, or pecorino Romano, or hot peppers on them, and they jazz up pretty easy. Until like a year ago they were always 99 cents per strip. So the price is right. You really know Rhode Islanders love them because before a blizzard or hurricane, pizza strips are always one of the first things stores sell out of.

Stuffies. Catch a few giant quahogs. Chop the meat and mix with some breadcrumbs, peppers, onions, celery, spices, and stuff the whole thing back into the shell. Bake and eat. Every seafood market in RI has them. There’s always a few dozen around my house on Christmas Eve. Incredible with some hot sauce. Ruined with too much bacon.

Bloodfart McCoy fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Oct 6, 2022

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

grease trucks?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I was robbed, robbed, of scrapple as my PA birthright. The adults couldn't help teasing about how I didn't want to know what was in it, before I was allowed to have any. No I don't know why I wasn't allowed to have any, but by the time I was it was too late. They'd ruined it for me forever.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I'm from Oregon. Our regional specialty is rain.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
E: no

Teriyaki Hairpiece fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Oct 6, 2022

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Captain Hygiene posted:

I never thought of mashed potatoes + hotdog, but I'd try it. What I really want now, though, is to try a rye flatbread wrap with bratwurst, mashed potatoes, sauerkraut, and onions.

Mashed potatoes and sausage go great together, oven roasted sausage with mash is great.

Another local dish (broadly speaking) is beef ala lindstrom, a ground beef patty with red beets, capers, white pepper and so on.

That stuff to the right is a cold sauce of cream, salt, pepper and chives, made hours before eating to let the flavour blend. I think it's pretty drat regional since nobody I talk to elsewhere ever heard of it or has a name for it. It's great on potatoes tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I'm from Oregon. Our regional specialty is rain.

We also have Marionberry pie :)