Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
I really love hearing about stuff that's only made in your region of the world. Usually there's a pretty good reason but I loving love to hear about it anyway. Where I am from, in the summer, you can get oyster/clam fritters. Which is basically a deep fried batter of oysters or clams stuffed between like a bun. It's loving awesome and I feel like I need to drink a beer and take a shower just thinking about it. Anyway, tell me about the weird poo poo you could eat in your town that you found out was weird when you went to college.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

Most people around here eat Weetabix with butter on instead of milk but when people hear about this they look at you like you’re some kind of alien

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

In the west country of England the orchard farmers make Scrumpy, which is basically cider (or hard cider to you I guess) made from crappy apples not selected for anything else. Farm workers in ye olde days used to get some everyday as a reward. The homebrew stuff normally sits around 12-15% and is served out of massive bottles. Its loving horrible to drink, doesn't even taste of apples, and is not worth anyone's time.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
what prompted this post was this freak right here:

https://twitter.com/RegionalUSFood/status/1563134185937678336

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

Chrs posted:

Most people around here eat Weetabix with butter on instead of milk but when people hear about this they look at you like you’re some kind of alien

there are like big weetabix's right? basically like a cracker with butter on it

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Drink water out the bottle

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
:worship:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carne_asada_fries

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

poutine

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Drink water out the bottle

lol

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

kecske posted:

In the west country of England the orchard farmers make Scrumpy, which is basically cider (or hard cider to you I guess) made from crappy apples not selected for anything else. Farm workers in ye olde days used to get some everyday as a reward. The homebrew stuff normally sits around 12-15% and is served out of massive bottles. Its loving horrible to drink, doesn't even taste of apples, and is not worth anyone's time.

12-15% lol jesus christ. that's like 50%+ fermentables just being pure sugar. apples yield a juice that gets to about 6-7% on it's own. basically the shittiest apple wine you can imagine making

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

kecske posted:

how much like a pirate and/or sam gamgee do you sound

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I'm not exactly from anywhere, so I'll go with my birth state.

Kentucky bourbon balls! You can make them yourself or, if you're feeling lazy and/or spendy, you can order the best ones I've ever tried from this place in Frankfort, KY.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

We're moving soon and my wife tells me that we're going from Lobster Rolls and Clam Cakes to...Chicken Riggie. It's just rigatoni covered in a red sauce that has shredded chicken and peppers incorporated. I'm already not impressed.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

In Connecticut we got a local type of pizza which we call "apizza". Brick oven stuff which can come out kinda imperfect shaped, but is pretty awesome. There's like a very light crumbly charcoalish quality to the undercrust too.
It's centered around New Haven in particular.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Grape posted:

how much like a pirate and/or sam gamgee do you sound

https://youtu.be/WjTIFkWJctY

Uriah Heep
Apr 28, 2010

im having a bit of an existential crisis here guys
Come autumn in the northeast US nothing slaps quite as hard as apple cider donuts . Not sure how regional they are, in reality I'm sure you can find them anywhere but they are a new england staple for sure

Gotta get them fresh though, man they are dynamite

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

San Antonians love barbacoa tacos and Big Red. For breakfast. Yes, we are a very fat city.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I've lived in a lot of places but currently I live in Colorado which specializes in Green Chili, especially on top of burritos. It's really good if it's made exceptionally well but it's just pretty bland from most places, which seems to be the theme of a lot of food here.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
can u get a brekky burrito with that green chile that would be god tier eats imo

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

there's a place around here you can get a big all beef hotdog with a nice assortment of toppings and a large refillable soda for $1.50

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Chinatown posted:

can u get a brekky burrito with that green chile that would be god tier eats imo

ive eaten more breakfast burritos smothered than i have smothered regular burritos. it works v. well

Navin Johnson
Mar 1, 2016

In Western Oregon, biscuits and loving gravy can be had everywhere, even at a gas station. The quality varies. Good luck!

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

Grape posted:

In Connecticut we got a local type of pizza which we call "apizza". Brick oven stuff which can come out kinda imperfect shaped, but is pretty awesome. There's like a very light crumbly charcoalish quality to the undercrust too.
It's centered around New Haven in particular.

regional pizza is so weird and people are so defensive about other regions pizzas. Isn't a callout about you btw, just an observation

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

Uriah Heep posted:

Come autumn in the northeast US nothing slaps quite as hard as apple cider donuts . Not sure how regional they are, in reality I'm sure you can find them anywhere but they are a new england staple for sure

I love apple cider doughnuts

man I am getting hungry!

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Navin Johnson posted:

In Western Oregon, biscuits and loving gravy can be had everywhere, even at a gas station. The quality varies. Good luck!

I sincerely feel bad for non-Americans who don't understand the culinary perfection that is biscuits and gravy.
If you think it sounds disgusting, you're just plain wrong and I'm sorry.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

boiled peanuts and gator tail

chickie nugs for brekkie
May 17, 2010
In Oklahoma they had onion burgers. Regular burger with a ton of onions. Like 3:1 onion to meat ratio.

In Wisconsin we have cheese curds and Friday fish frys. Of particular interest is the bluegill fish fry. In Oklahoma bluegill is bait not food.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
edit: ^^^^ yeah Friday Fish Fry's are huge here. I usually get the walleye but perch can be pretty good. I used to get cod when I was younger but it's just too plain.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i had to look it up. apparently all we got is maple syrup on snow and fiddleheads

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

In florida we do this thing where we take frozen chicken, we boil it, then we refreeze it. We then put it on a slice of fozen white bread with a slice of processed cheese on top. then we microwave liberally. presto. state speciallty.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

ManBoyChef posted:

In florida we do this thing where we take frozen chicken, we boil it, then we refreeze it. We then put it on a slice of fozen white bread with a slice of processed cheese on top. then we microwave liberally. presto. state speciallty.

What in the gently caress

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

chickie nugs for brekkie posted:

In Oklahoma they had onion burgers. Regular burger with a ton of onions. Like 3:1 onion to meat ratio.

In Wisconsin we have cheese curds and Friday fish frys. Of particular interest is the bluegill fish fry. In Oklahoma bluegill is bait not food.

Green Bay was a great trip because everyone had cheese curds. One place did them with a mix of cheese types and we ended up going back to get them a second time later in the week.

The regional food I didn't know I needed were Seattle Style Hotdogs. It's a footlong in a bun smeared with cream cheese. Your supposed to have relish on it as well, but I went with brown mustard and it worked out great.

matti
Mar 31, 2019

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mustamakkara

its good

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Lazyfire posted:

The regional food I didn't know I needed were Seattle Style Hotdogs. It's a footlong in a bun smeared with cream cheese. Your supposed to have relish on it as well, but I went with brown mustard and it worked out great.

:hfive:

Yeah that was quite the surprise when I got one at a dive bar there. It was great.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Up here in Albany we steam a good ham

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Sonoran hot dogs:

A grilled hot dog wrapped in bacon and served in a toasted Mexican bolillo bread topped with pinto beans, diced tomatoes, onions, mayonnaise, mustard, green salsa, and cotija (a crumbly) cheese on it. El Güero Canelo is the most famous Sonoran hot dog vendor here, but there are also countless food trucks and carts scattered around town that also serve them (a lot of times cheaper and better, but I still like EGC).

Chimichangas:

Invented by accident at the US's oldest continuously operating Mexican restaurant, El Charro Cafe. Deep fried burritos and you can practically put whatever you want on them. They are a flexible food.

Fry bread:

It is just native fry bread from the Tohono O'odham and Pascua Yaqui tribes, but you start putting whatever the gently caress you want on it and it becomes a popover. There are several big variations of fry bread, but I just love me some honey and powdered sugar on a nice hot fry bread *drools*

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgQLIcEYAtw

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Uriah Heep posted:

These are loving insanely good, though I think they have them in the general Northeast and not just New England.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

I live in the country with the highest per capita consumption of yerba mate, if that counts as a regional specialty