Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

You should watch House, OP.

Not the series, the 80's horror-comedy.

Seriously underrated movie. Great fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
Don’t know what’s so scary about Hausu, the ghosts are constantly laughing, and when they kill you and make you a ghost, well it’s a laugh riot! You get to have fun tormenting interlopers for the rest of eternity!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Duck and Cover posted:

I've been watching The Umbrella Company and it some how manages not to be repetitive tedious garbage while also not being a punch fest. Weird I know. 7 episodes in my opinion might change. Werebutts, Danny, Flex Mentallo etc. do try to make The Doom Patrol good but it's just not enough.

Umbrella Academy is just discount Doom Patrol. It's a little ironic that you're complaining about tedious repetition when you have said the same thing about the show in just about every single post.

Groke posted:

Danny the Street features prominently, too. A sentient piece of urban geography with a nonbinary/genderqueer identity thing going on. Back when I read the comics in the 90s I would not have expected something like this to show up in a live-action TV show ever, but here we are.

Yeah that rules. Doom Patrol turned out to be exactly like I'd hope it would. I mentioned Flex because that poster wanted to see him in it.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

CPL593H posted:

Umbrella Academy is just discount Doom Patrol. It's a little ironic that you're complaining about tedious repetition when you have said the same thing about the show in just about every single post.

Yeah that rules. Doom Patrol turned out to be exactly like I'd hope it would. I mentioned Flex because that poster wanted to see him in it.

Well maybe it’d be more of a discussion if you said something beyond “you’re wrong”. You read the comic maybe when you were young and so you’re willing to look over it’s faults. It’s fine some people rather just watch something good.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
Moon Patrol > Doom Patrol

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

Duck and Cover posted:

I watched the season finale of season 1 yesterday. What the gently caress did I watch? Why do shows who waste so much time on character schlock suck so bad at season finales? gently caress. I JUST WANT SUPERHEROES SMASHIN SUPER VILLIANS I DO NOT NEED THE SAME CLICHE STORY REPEATED OVER AND OVER AGAIN IN FLASHBACKS I GET IT GOD DAMNIT JUST STOP STOP NO BEING SELF AWARE THAT YOU'RE DOING IT ISN'T BETTER.

I also watched the first episode of season 2, I think I'm done. Maybe I'll watch a good show again like Cleopatra 2525.

edit: Well a bunch of meta non heroes solving things would also be good but that's kind of the B plot lightly sprinkled in while I want it to be A plot.
It's a DC show OP. They write super-hero soap operas. Even the cartoons (which used to be super hero shows) are soap operas now.

It's a soap opera first, and like super-heroes third or fourth.

I don't know how Peacemaker broke this mold, but DC should fire literally every single person they employ except the people responsible for that show.

LOL but they're too busy rehiring a famed violent groomer and kidnapper.

And with those dumbfucks from Discovery at the helm, it's just going to get so much worse. They're making it so easy for Disney right now.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Buttchocks posted:

Moon Patrol > Doom Patrol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EptD9Egf7w

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Jelly posted:

It's a DC show OP. They write super-hero soap operas. Even the cartoons (which used to be super hero shows) are soap operas now.

It's a soap opera first, and like super-heroes third or fourth.

I don't know how Peacemaker broke this mold, but DC should fire literally every single person they employ except the people responsible for that show.

It isn't just that. I've watched Gotham and Arrow and while I didn't finish either of them (I got sick of Arrow around the 3 season probably due to their not being enough salmon ladder), they were both better than Doom Patrol. Doom Patrol is just bad. It is bad.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Duck and Cover posted:

Arrow ... better than Doom Patrol

:lol: Seriously? Wow. That's uh... not a good review for Doom Patrol.

I liked Gotham! Arrow is the worst DC show I've ever seen and while DC shows aren't known for being good, it's not even close. Arrow is a sin against television and possibly humanity itself.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Jelly posted:

:lol: Seriously? Wow. That's uh... not a good review for Doom Patrol.

I liked Gotham! Arrow is the worst DC show I've ever seen and while DC shows aren't known for being good, it's not even close. Arrow is a sin against television and possibly humanity itself.

Doom Patrol is more annoying to me because the highs are high which it makes the lows feel worse. Arrow is just kind of whatever. Arrow is toast, while Doom Patrol is like a tasty sandwich but with an orange peel. Many orange peels. I do not like eating orange peels. Now it has been awhile since I watched Arrow (and Gotham for that matter, I meant to watch more of it but never got around to it) so maybe time has soften my dislike for the show.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

op perhaps dc's "titans" would be more your speed

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Doom Patrol is literally a show about a support group for the differently abled. If that doesn’t sound entertaining to you, it’s probably not for you.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Nigmaetcetera posted:

Doom Patrol is literally a show about a support group for the differently abled. If that doesn’t sound entertaining to you, it’s probably not for you.

No I don't like it because it's a bad show. Now if it was a good show than I'd like it.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
DC needs to stop trying to make "Doom Patrol" a thing. It's not gonna be a thing.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Applewhite posted:

DC needs to stop trying to make "Doom Patrol" a thing. It's not gonna be a thing.

there should be an episode of doom patrol where they go to the doom house.

5 episodes later they have a talk with richard about his addiction issues

7 episodes in richard learns that he is dead so goes back to doing pills while poo poo posting

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
Peacemaker is amazing.

Doom Patrol was entertaining for a while but got too far up its own rear end with the multiple personality girl’s psyche and Danny the street jfc. I don’t care if it’s from the comic, it’s pure wankery. And then I stopped watching.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Duck and Cover posted:

Well maybe it’d be more of a discussion if you said something beyond “you’re wrong”. You read the comic maybe when you were young and so you’re willing to look over it’s faults. It’s fine some people rather just watch something good.

lol, I read the Grant Morrison comics in my 20s and again like a month ago. Plus I've read the various new versions of them over the years. It's not blind nostalgia, I just really like the Doom Patrol. Incidentally the most recent version of Doom Patrol was written by the same guy who created the Umbrella Academy.

The Management posted:

Peacemaker is amazing.

Doom Patrol was entertaining for a while but got too far up its own rear end with the multiple personality girl’s psyche and Danny the street jfc. I don’t care if it’s from the comic, it’s pure wankery. And then I stopped watching.

Peacemaker has the only intro sequence I never once skipped on streaming. That poo poo rules.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

doom patrol is a good show, it's fun and neat and very pretty, although it keeps doing the comic book thing of having a cut off after which they only make self-references and stop doing new things.

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007
Doom Patrol is good but Crazy Jane gets pretty tiresome

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice
Watch Harley Quinn instead OP, it has James Adomian doing a Tom Hardy impression voicing Bane, Dr. Psycho calls Wonder Woman the c word and has to do an apology tour, and Harley accuses Batman of loving bats.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

CPL593H posted:

lol, I read the Grant Morrison comics in my 20s and again like a month ago. Plus I've read the various new versions of them over the years. It's not blind nostalgia, I just really like the Doom Patrol. Incidentally the most recent version of Doom Patrol was written by the same guy who created the Umbrella Academy.

Peacemaker has the only intro sequence I never once skipped on streaming. That poo poo rules.

Nostalgia is not defined by x amount of years. There's two types of fans the "oh the comic is better" who wants any other source to be bad and the type that will put up with faults because they really want something to be good. I wanted Doom Patrol to be good, it wasn't. If you find it to be good you're wrong and should leave the fact telling to somebody. Me. Just let me tell you what is good and what is bad because I clearly am superior at identifying it.

Doom Patrols intro is abstract garbage that lots of shows do. Streaming sucks because it's a hassle to do picture and picture on a computer using a website. Well at least Windows I could see Macs handling it better. I sure as gently caress am not going to pay 100% attention to most shows.

Government Handjob posted:

Watch Harley Quinn instead OP, it has James Adomian doing a Tom Hardy impression voicing Bane, Dr. Psycho calls Wonder Woman the c word and has to do an apology tour, and Harley accuses Batman of loving bats.

Sold.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Duck and Cover posted:

Nostalgia is not defined by x amount of years. There's two types of fans the "oh the comic is better" who wants any other source to be bad and the type that will put up with faults because they really want something to be good. I wanted Doom Patrol to be good, it wasn't. If you find it to be good you're wrong and should leave the fact telling to somebody. Me. Just let me tell you what is good and what is bad because I clearly am superior at identifying it.

Doom Patrols intro is abstract garbage that lots of shows do. Streaming sucks because it's a hassle to do picture and picture on a computer using a website. Well at least Windows I could see Macs handling it better. I sure as gently caress am not going to pay 100% attention to most shows.

Sold.

It sounds less like the problem is this show or any other show like the problem is that you're just an rear end in a top hat.

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!
Doom patrol sounds like a YouTube channel devoted to reviewing the hottest new doom maps and wads

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

CPL593H posted:

It sounds less like the problem is this show or any other show like the problem is that you're just an rear end in a top hat.

Me being an rear end in a top hat doesn't make Doom Patrol good. Now there's an argument to be had for fans (*cough* Rick and Morty) making something worse but as powerful as I am I don't think I can make something good or bad. I am but one hedgehog bringing you the facts.

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
Doom Patrol ruled and very queer friendly. I liked all their hosed up stories, and the genderqueer street, a literal place you can find to be as gay as you want, is a really beautofil metaphor. If there was a season after 2 I didn't see it tho. Who the hell has the DC streaming app?

Oh yeah I remember also the bad guy has two dicks

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Wilkins Micawber posted:

Doom Patrol ruled and very queer friendly. I liked all their hosed up stories, and the genderqueer street, a literal place you can find to be as gay as you want, is a really beautofil metaphor. If there was a season after 2 I didn't see it tho. Who the hell has the DC streaming app?

Oh yeah I remember also the bad guy has two dicks

It got moved to HBO Max and there are three seasons now with a fourth having been shot. But because the new owners of Warner Bros are pulling some kind of Bain Capital type scam with the company hopefully they don't just go "gently caress everyone who made this nobody gets to see it.".

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Dr. Psycho is an obnoxious, but very necessary part of the show. Season 3 without him is just crap.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

This Harley Quinn better be worth it! Totally unrelated, HBO cares about usenet.

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice

Nigmaetcetera posted:

Dr. Psycho is an obnoxious, but very necessary part of the show. Season 3 without him is just crap.

I'm not sure why he hasn't been around this season, but he apparently shows up in the latest episode hosting a podcast from Arkham Asylum. Maybe Tony Hale has been too busy doing other stuff?

E: there hasn't been much Clayface in this season either, but Tudyk also voices Joker who gets a fair amount of screen time this season so maybe that's why? Personally I just want an entire episode dedicated to BAEne. Arkham Asylum is for the criminally insane, The Pit is for the criminally capable!

Government Handjob fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Sep 3, 2022

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
would you rather have the plussy or the clussy

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Coolness Averted posted:

I just want goddamn flex mentallo, is that too much to ask? A glistening oiled up muscleman using muscle magic to change reality

This! He’s great! I think I stopped watching after he discovered his wife was still alive and then she dies.

It’s such a stupid concept that I figure it probably came from the golden age of comics. Anyone know? I can google it.

Oh yeah! I also hope Timothy Dalton’s magical missinglink daughter grows up because she is played by a stereotypical child actor. Not a fantastic actor, I mean.

Bored fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Sep 8, 2022

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
Danny the Street owns and I wanna move there, I will admit Jane's deal is getting tiresome to me but I'm into the show generally.

Harley Quinn owns extremely hard tho

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Doom Patrol season 1
Doom Patrol season 2
Doom Patrol season 3

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Bored posted:

This! He’s great! I think I stopped watching after he discovered his wife was still alive and then she dies.

It’s such a stupid concept that I figure it probably came from the golden age of comics. Anyone know? I can google it.

Oh yeah! I also hope Timothy Dalton’s magical missinglink daughter grows up because she is played by a stereotypical child actor. Not a fantastic actor, I mean.

I like how the department of normalcy killed her in a super duper normal fashion. Ribbon disintegration bombs are normal right?

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Sep 8, 2022

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Bored posted:

Nope, he's a creation of Grant Morrison their run on Doom Patrol in the eighties. He's meant to invoke Golden Age era Superman who could just pull random new superpowers out of nowhere whenever he needed them.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

David D. Davidson posted:

Nope, he's a creation of Grant Morrison their run on Doom Patrol in the eighties. He's meant to invoke Golden Age era Superman who could just pull random new superpowers out of nowhere whenever he needed them.

Excellent!

I'm now at the end of season 2. Jane's in a coma AGAIN

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
You can't really fault anyone for how season 2 ended. Covid stuff happened and they had to end the season two episodes early.

David D. Davidson fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Sep 10, 2022

SPIRIT HALLOWEEN SALE
Nov 5, 2017

Alan Tudyk plays Mr. Nobody in Season 1 of Doom Patrol (which is the best part of Doom Patrol and the best season).

He also voices both the Joker and Clayface in Harley Quinn

e: I'll add this. It stinks that Doom Patrol is so close to being a consistently good show. When it's good it's good, but it has a lot of schlocky filler. Each Season gets progressively more pretentious and the Jane poo poo sucks. Cyborg annoys me for some reason, he feels like a tertiary character that should only show up once or twice a season. Doesn't help that his make-up is jarringly bad. Although the 70's buddy cop skit with Robotman made me laugh.

Maybe I'm wrong but I feel like James Gunn could save the series. Keeping the weirdo comedy without letting the show's head get so far up it's own rear end. Peacemaker was a lot of fun.

SPIRIT HALLOWEEN SALE fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Sep 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
it'd be cool if we got a lot less super hero shows

even these quirky "alternative" super hero shows mostly just suck