Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

This is going to be a long, nowhere near complete list, peppered with completely random thoughts:

High School/College Plays/Musicals That Were Decent Productions
Death of a Salesman
Of Mice and Men - during this play, a lead actor fell off the loving stage mid-line, somehow landed on the floor (this was a tiny theater without a pit) backwards with one hand and foot, and sprang back up to his mark on stage without interrupting the line at all. Literally a blink-and-you'd-miss-it moment of one of the most amazing physical feats I've seen in my life.
The Laramie Project
Brighton Beach Memoirs
Grease
soooo much Shakespeare
A production of The Wizard of Oz that ran long because intermission ran for about 70 minutes while EMTs wheeled out a guy that apparently died of a heart attack from some minor pyrotechnics during the first act
Blood Brothers, which has godawful music and just remembering it brings up the motif in my head, ugh
Evita
Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat
A Chorus LIne
Arsenic and Old Lace

Notable professional productions:
Wicked, the Broadway cast (I think?) in Chicago
Chicago, on Broadway
The Year of Magical Thinking, performed by Vanessa Redgrave
Billie Elliot (which sucked out loud)
Avenue Q (which was hilarious, but probably has aged like milk)
The Hour We Knew Nothing of Each Other, which was a silent, plotless play about people crossing through a city street, was much longer than an hour, and I probably would have enjoyed a lot more if I wasn't still pissy about having to go to Billie Elliot
Speed the Plow starring loving Jeff Goldblum and (ugh) Kevin Spacey
War and Peace - the two-play epic version by Helen Edmunson, who we got to meet a few days after the show. This one was incredible. I went into it dreading it, because it was literally two 3+ hour plays with an hour and a half lunch break between them. But it seriously blew me away and it was a real honor to get to ask the playwright some questions.
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
The Birthday Party
The Lover and The Collection - these starred Charlie Cox who was pretty unknown at the time other the 2005 Casanova movie
Guys On Ice which I thought was pretty funny at the time but I cringe to think of now
Bach at Leipzig - this one's cool, it's a pretty decent farce done in the style of a musical fugue
Good Soul of Szechuan
Major Barbara

But by a huge, huuuuge margin, the worst play I've ever seen in my life was a press premiere of Fram by Tony Harrison. It's all done in extremely forced verse, about half of which are morose poet ghosts bemoaning that they can only eat vomit and dung, and another third or so is spent just fellating the art of poetry itself, badly. It's ostensibly about its titular doomed expedition, which would be a cool idea for an epic play - even in verse, if done better - but it's just so muddled and throws in scenes and messages about Russian and African famines on top of the aforementioned puke poet poltergeists. And it is all so overwrought. Even for four hours of rhyming, it's overwrought. There's a part where the ship rises out of the stage - or maybe it was a plane? I think both were involved and it's been ages - but regardless, a big vehicle is supposed to come out of the stage while a man with his eyes and lips sewn shut scream-moan-hums desperately. Except at our showing, the stage lift gets stuck, and this guy is out there freaking out at the audience for seven or eight minutes straight while the techies try to fix whatever's gone wrong. It was meant to be a really deep, jarring, somber scene, but most of the theater was really politely trying not to laugh too loud by the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

A couple of years ago I was curious about how many Broadway theaters I had seen shows in, so I made a list:

code:
Broadway Theaters [29/42]
 - [X] Al Hirschfeld Theatre
   - Annie (1997)
 - [ ] Ambassador Theatre
 - [ ] American Airlines Theatre
 - [X] August Wilson
   - Jersey Boys (2005)
   - Little Shop of Horrors (2003)
 - [X] Belasco Theatre
   - 2019: Network [2019-03-30 Sat 14:00]
 - [X] Bernard B. Jacobs
   - God of Carnage (2009)
 - [X] Booth Theatre
   - Gary: A Sequel to Titus Andronicus (2019)
 - [X] Broadhurst Theatre
   - Mary Stuart (2009)
   - Les Miserables (2006)
 - [ ] Broadway Theatre
 - [X] Brooks Atkinson Theatre
   - 2017: Waitress [2017-03-23 Thu 19:30]
 - [X] Circle in the Square Theatre
   - The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee (2005)
 - [X] Cort Theatre
   - 2013: Waiting for Godot
 - [X] Ethel Barrymore Theatre
   - 2017: Six Degrees of Seperation
   - 2018: The Band's Visit
 - [X] Eugene O'Neill Theatre
   - The Book of Mormon (2011)
 - [X] Gerald Schoenfeld Theatre
   - The Audience (2015)
   - The Caine Mutiny Court-Martial (2006)
   - A Chorus Line (2006)
 - [ ] Gershwin Theatre
 - [ ] Helen Hayes Theatre
 - [ ] Hudson Theatre
 - [X] Imperial Theatre
   - 2014: Les Misérables
   - 2016: Natasha, Pierre & The Great Comet of 1812
 - [X] John Golden Theatre
   - 2003: Avenue Q
 - [X] Longacre Theatre
   - 2015: Allegiance
 - [X] Lunt-Fontanne Theatre
   - 2015: Finding Neverland
 - [X] Lyceum Theatre
   - 2016: Fully Committed
   - 2014: Disgraced
 - [X] Lyric Theatre
   - 2007: Young Frankenstein
   - 2018: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
 - [ ] Majestic Theatre
 - [X] Marquis Theatre
   - 2009: 9 to 5
   - 2018: Escape to Margaritaville
 - [ ] Minskoff Theatre
 - [X] Music Box Theatre
   - 2009: Superior Donuts
 - [X] Nederlander Theatre
   - 2021: The Lehman Trilogy 
   - 2016: Disaster!
   - 2010: Million Dollar Quartet
 - [X] Neil Simon Theatre
   - 2001: The Music Man
   - 2019: The Cher Show
 - [X] New Amsterdam Theatre
   - 2006: Mary Poppins
   - 1997: The Lion King
 - [ ] Palace Theatre
 - [X] Richard Rodgers Theatre
   - 2015: Hamilton
 - [X] St. James Theatre
   - 2001: The Producers
 - [ ] Samuel J. Friedman Theatre
 - [X] Shubert Theatre
   - 2020: To Kill a Mockingbird
   - 2017: Hello, Dolly! [2017-11-29 Wed 14:00]
   - 2013: Matilda the Musical
   - 2005: Spamalot
 - [ ] Stephen Sondheim Theatre
 - [X] Studio 54
   - 2009: Waiting for Godot
   - 2018: Lifetime of a fact
 - [X] Vivian Beaumont Theater
   - 2015: The King and I
   - 2018: Junk
   - 2018: My Fair Lady
 - [X] Walter Kerr Theatre
   - 2018: Bruce Springsteen
   - 2016: The Crucible
   - 2013: A Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder
 - [ ] Winter Garden Theatre
There are a fuckton of Broadway theaters.

RoastBeef fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Sep 23, 2022

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Is this the only musicals thread on the entire forum?

I saw Hadestown last night and it could get really corny at parts but visually it's maybe the best show I've ever seen all time all my life

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Rockman Reserve posted:

Notable professional productions:
Billie Elliot (which sucked out loud)
The Hour We Knew Nothing of Each Other, which was a silent, plotless play about people crossing through a city street, was much longer than an hour, and I probably would have enjoyed a lot more if I wasn't still pissy about having to go to Billie Elliot

Heh this reminded me of something - guy I know who's A) in his late 50s and B) is probably quite far along the spectrum but presumably has never been diagnosed because that wasn't a thing when he was young, LOOOOOOOVES Billy Elliott. Like, he has flown all over the world to attend productions of Billy Elliott.

Now to some extent, this is a bit :yikeseroo: because of the fact that the show stars young boys and this guy is unmarried and as far as I know has never had a serious relationship, but I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt because he doesn't come across as any kind of predator, he just comes across as....real odd and obsessed with the show itself. (He's a real serious 7th day adventist as well). It's just weird because he'll blather about how the Dublin production was a lot better than the Buenos Aires production and you're just like....dude, ...........what? Like........what? Billy Elliott? Really? (I've never seen the show and don't really plan to, I barely remember the movie but don't remember liking it that much).

Anyway, saw Moulin Rouge last night and thought they did a great job updating the show with songs that have been released since the movie came out, and also just a terrific job with the energy and pizzazz of the show. Just one of those great musical experiences - high octane fun, some plot to give it meat but clearly not meant to overshadow the dancing and singing, and good talent all around (saw The Prom a while ago and the singing of the main character was so absurdly nasal it was painful).

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

Best play I ever saw was The Inheritance that left me an absolute blubbering wreck and really made me re-evaluate how affecting and important drama can be. It was done in two parts over two nights and was all the better for the day-long gap.

Second best was a play called Yerma starring Billie Piper that was similarly devastating. third best was Network starring Bryan Cranston as Howard Beale.

Jerusalem with Mark Rylance was also very special. And there’s been a bunch of other plays I can’t remember and a few Shakespeares along the way. There was a production of Hamlet with David Tennant and Patrick Stewart that a lot of people loved but I found a bit flat. There was a version of Frankenstein with Benedict Cumberbatch and Johnny Lee Miller that was pretty cool.

Hopefully that’s enough to get me a “hell yeah”.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I worked backstage for a play version of 1984 in high school that was kinda cool. The only play I've ever been to otherwise was Book of Mormon which was probably a good play but I can't do musicals, so when the play started and I realized I hate the music in musicals and can't understand gently caress-all of what they're saying I looked up the script on my phone and read through it in 10mins and had a few chuckles then tried to turn off my brain for the remaining hour and 50 minutes or whatever that it took them to act out the script I read in 10mins, like unskippable voice acting in a videogame, and had a thoroughly bad time.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Matinee posted:

There was a production of Hamlet with David Tennant and Patrick Stewart that a lot of people loved but I found a bit flat. There was a version of Frankenstein with Benedict Cumberbatch and Johnny Lee Miller that was pretty cool.

oh poo poo I saw the official recordings of both of these and Frankenstein was amazing and I had completely forgotten that that production of Hamlet even existed until right this second

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i haven't posted my answer and stone cold steve austin has yet to show himself. starting to think he's a coward.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
On Broadway:
Hamilton (in 2019)
Chicago (in 2019)
Les Miserables
RENT
West Side Story
Spring Awakening

Touring productions:
Les Miserables
RENT
West Side Story
Jersey Boys
Book of Mormon
Avenue Q
The Lion King
Wicked
Pippin
A Chorus Line
Fun Home (a concert performance with the Broadway cast; not a full staging)

Local/community productions:
Little Shop of Horrors
Lend Me a Tenor (hilarious farce; one of the only non-musical plays I've seen)
Tomfoolery (a musical built around Tom Lehrer's comedy songs)
Assassins
Fun Home
1984 (also not a musical)

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
I saw Nunsense this past weekend on a whim. With the exception of a few grandchildren, everyone in the audience was at least 30+ years older than me and the vibe was "saucy, young-at-heart grandmas." Very mediocre show but fun as hell due to the crowd. The highlight was when mother superior found some Rush poppers and a guy in his 70s started laughing knowingly long before anyone else knew what it was, enough so that the actress started adlibbing with him about whether he wanted to share it.

Deki posted:

Lombardi

Oh gently caress what are the odds that two people in this thread would've both seen Lombardi.

I liked it, for what it's worth.

Pony Jabroni posted:

hadestown being the most recent and was so glad i went. we did get persephone's understudy at my show and god she nailed it. i kinda liked her more than the original lady. i even liked the guy who played hades almost a little more than the original guy. would still highly suggest it though!

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I saw Hadestown last night and it could get really corny at parts but visually it's maybe the best show I've ever seen all time all my life

Hadestown is so loving good. I don't like Reeves Carney but I still loved it.

Bad Purchase posted:

i haven't posted my answer and stone cold steve austin has yet to show himself. starting to think he's a coward.

He had to make a run to the store:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I've only seen Sweeney Todd on TV Mr. Austin I swear! Please don't cold stun me or my family.
E: wait does Avenue Q count?