Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
You think the cops can protect you if you don't post in this thread about your experiences with the stage? Motherfucker, you can only trust your fists (to share your favorite and least favorite shows), police will never help you.

In this thread, share the plays and musicals (and hell, opera and kabuki and whatever the gently caress stage performances) you've seen in your life. If you're so inclined, say where you saw them. If you're a good dude or dudette, say which were the best and which were the worst.

High school
My Fair Lady

College
Red Herring
Company
King Stag
The Playboy of the Western World
Fuenteovejuna
The Importance of Being Earnest
The Trojan Women
Medea
A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum
Much Ado About Nothing
The Taming of the Shrew
Eurydice

Purple Rose Theatre Company (Chelsea, Michigan)
Redwood Curtain

American Players Theatre (Spring Green, Wisconsin)
An Ideal Husband
Pericles, Prince of Tyre
A Midsummer Night's Dream

CIBC Theatre (Chicago)
Hamilton

Various theatres (Indianapolis)
White City Murder
Hamilton
Lombardi
Jesus Christ Superstar
Dear Evan Hansen

Walter Kerr Theatre (New York City)
Hadestown

Ritz Theatre (Camden, New Jersey)
In The Heights

Local community theatre
The Hunchback of Notre Dame

That's in roughly chronological order. The best were Fuenteovejuna, A Midsummer Night's Dream, Hamilton, and Hadestown. The worst were The Playboy of the Western World, Redwood Curtain, and Dear Evan Hansen.

Now it's your turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

My mom took my sister and I to see Cats on broadway when I was very young. I was feeling kind of sick that day so I fell asleep several times throughout the performance and it was very confusing.

My mom remembers it as me "being miserable" and not sick. Why don't you believe that I was sick mom?

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is
I haven't been too many, thanks for reminding me to see more op.

I saw Cyrano de Bergerac a long time ago. I saw the Nutcracker last year, which was very nice.

If you include opera, I've seen Parsifal and Akhenaten. Parsifal had amazing music but you can tell that Wagner was certifiably nuts

Doctor J Off fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Sep 4, 2022

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

last one i saw was erasmus montanus. the lead got buck naked and a little person dragged him around by the dick. it was great

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

I’ve seen Blue Man Group and Stomp. Stomp wasn’t my cup of tea. And then The Nutcracker at the dinner theatre around Christmas. And The Complete Works of William Shakespeare(Abridged) at the Pirates Playhouse. So really not a hell of a lot. I’m uncultured.

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

I saw the last ever performance of Escape to Margaritavilla on Broadway, and at 36 I was by far the youngest person in the audience

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Lucky Guy posted:

I saw the last ever performance of Escape to Margaritavilla on Broadway, and at 36 I was by far the youngest person in the audience

Saw the film version of Jersey Boys and the old broads were wondering why the hell we were there.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

It’s a sad thing that I’m memory-holed on what plays I’ve seen live because I’ve seen quite a few. Off the top of my head (from what I can remember):

West Side Story
The King and I
Cats
Jesus Christ Superstar
The Nutcracker
My Fair Lady
The Phantom of the Opera

no mom very hungry
Oct 5, 2004

You are getting sleepy...

I saw the original Broadway cast of Cats at the Winter Garden Theatre in late spring of 1987 while in NYC. :monar:

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Favorite I’ve seen was either Come From Away or Little Shop of Horrors.

Worst was Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead, bafflingly hard to follow with iffy actors, half the audience didn’t return from intermission.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I have seen so much live theatre that I can't remember all of them. I will say that my benchmark is Urinetown.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

does the Blue Man Group count OP?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

:frogon:

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
my high school did a production of seussical that loving ruled, the dude who played the cat in the hat as the mc was so good and carried the entire drat show on his back

he's probably like, manager of a best buy now

i also saw this production of as you like it but set in the 60s/70s, like everyone was in mod fashion, and I got so horny for the dude playing touchstone because he was dressed like david bowie, and as a 13 year old lesbian I didn't understand how to process it.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

First part of synopsis:

Officer Lockstock, a policeman, grimly welcomes the audience, assisted by the street urchin Little Sally. According to the pair, a twenty-year drought has caused a terrible water shortage, making private toilets unthinkable. All restroom activities are done in public toilets controlled by a megacorporation[11] called "Urine Good Company" (or UGC). To control water consumption, people have to pay to use the amenities ("Too Much Exposition"). There are harsh laws ensuring that people pay to urinate, and if the laws are broken, the offender is sent to a place called "Urinetown," never to return.

My favorite song from it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgH0fOcp3T8

it's real good OP. Ends just as you'd want too. (Well, as anyone on SA would want, presumably)

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

I. M. Gei posted:

does the Blue Man Group count OP?

Yeah sure who gives a gently caress (I saw Blue Man Group in Chicago like six or seven years ago and it was absolutely horrible; I later learned that the woman who signed our work team up to attend had a hobby of writing erotic fanfiction for James Cameron's "Avatar")

big dyke energy posted:

my high school did a production of seussical that loving ruled, the dude who played the cat in the hat as the mc was so good and carried the entire drat show on his back

My Fair Lady at my high school was the first play I ever saw, and I thought the guy who sang On the Street Where You Live loving crushed it. I'm sure if I heard a recording of it now I'd think it was awful, but to my ears in that moment he was the greatest singer on the goddamn planet. I went back twice just to hear it again. Super happy memory.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
My wife is really into live theater and we used to have season tickets to two theater groups every year. I’ve seen so much live theater and most of it went in one ear and out the other

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

I've never heard of stoncold ste. vaustin, sorry op

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

SyNack Sassimov posted:

it's real good OP. Ends just as you'd want too. (Well, as anyone on SA would want, presumably)

they find the piss tape??

SomeDrunkenMick
Apr 21, 2008

The Ferryman in the west end. Jez Butterworth. Pretty good, entertaining had a big cast and yer one from Derry Girls was in it.

The Lieutenant of Inishmore
The Cripple of Inishmaan
A Skull in Connemara
Saw them in the west end or Dublin.
All Martin McDonagh plays, he has a bunch more and with a bit of luck I'll get to them some day. In Bruges, The Guard, Seven Psychopaths, Calvary and Three Billboards are all great movies and the plays are all black comedies like them. If you like his movies you'll like the plays.

Saw The Book of Mormon on Broadway, very very funny, myself and the wife still mess around singing some of the tunes years later. Best part was I went up to buy a glass of wine before it started and it turns out they sold them in big half liter plastic cups with straws. We had another one at the interval, staggered out of the place.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
I've seen Jesus Christ Superstar. That is all. I almost saw it again later in school, maybe grade 11, but i faked being sick so I could go home instead, because my buddy was "sick" that day and I didn't much feel like walking around that city basically by myself.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

Buce posted:

I've never heard of stoncold ste. vaustin, sorry op

You think you're funny?

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Not a fan of “in and of itself”

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
I saw an off-off-broadway version of Madea starring my sister and inspired by 1920's German expressionism, and many years earlier I saw a touring production of Les Mis. Not a huge theater guy. Strikes me as kind of obsolete given that motion pictures exist.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
I've seen Phantom of the Opera several times, and recently saw Jesus Christ Superstar.

Incremus
Aug 7, 2003

Oh no, I'm so sorry, it's the Moops.

When I was in high school I went on a class trip to London and saw the musical Blood Brothers. It was my first "grown-up" play to go see. I don't remember much about it, except at intermission I bought an oversized box of Smarties and ate them for the rest of the production. I still love Smarties and buy them every chance I get.

The second most recent play I saw was in 2016 in Seattle. The play was Stupid loving Bird, which is an adaptation of Chekhov's The Seagull. I found it completely absorbing and loved every minute. The theater was in the round and we had great seats which really made it memorable, and the cast was wonderful. You could tell they were putting their hearts into it.

The most recent play I saw was Dear Evan Hansen and I wanted to die the entire time, except for during the song "You Will Be Found" which I really liked.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

I saw Wicked in Japanese in Tokyo. I think that's it.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

Incremus posted:

The most recent play I saw was Dear Evan Hansen and I wanted to die the entire time, except for during the song "You Will Be Found" which I really liked.

I saw it via Broadway on Tour earlier this year and it's just a goddamn horrible play. I didn't even really like that song; the only one that stuck in my head at all was "Waving Through a Window" and even that only stuck around for a couple days despite me being a total mark for musicals. Shout-out to the baseball glove song for making my friend choke on her popcorn from laughing, though.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I couldn't tell you what random school/community theater plays I've seen but they were generally good goofy fun. Well, I guess I know I've seen A Christmas Carol but I couldn't name any random farces etc.

I've also seen Fiddler on the Roof (good), Book of Mormon (dumb but good) and Wicked (bad but with a good showstopper in the middle)

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

the holy poopacy posted:

they find the piss tape??

No. At the end of Urinetown, the people rise up and overthrow the Urine Good Company. Officer Lockstock then explains to the audience that the UGC were actually right, and the town ran out of water very soon thereafter. It’s insinuated that the main character’s love interest is killed by an angry mob because everyone began dying of dehydration!

Ortho
Jul 6, 2021

Of operas:
The Flying Dutchman
Niobe
Acis and Galatea
La Traviata
Tosca
Rodelinda
La bohème
The Magic Flute
The Marriage of Figaro
Madama Butterfly
Dido and Aeneas
La descente d'Orphée aux enfers
Rigoletto
Aida
Hansel and Gretel
Don Giovanni
Porgy and Bess
Giulio Cesare
Something composed here in town and performed by amateurs. It was terrible but a fine first effort. Don't remember the title.

I've certainly missed a bunch, but that's most of them.

Of operettas:
Die Fledermaus

Of musicals:
The Phantom of the Opera
Evita

Of plays:
Hamlet
Macbeth

Where, for the operas and operetta, is mostly split between the Merrill in Portland (Maine), Jordon Hall in Boston, and the Mahaiwe in Great Barrington. Plays were local productions. Phantom was at Her Majesty's in London, Evita was local-ish.

Favorite is a toss-up between Dido and Aeneas and Niobe. Niobe lives or dies on the proficiency of its cast and the show BEMF put on was simply divine. Dido and Aeneas is harder to screw up and it's super short -- most Baroque opera is around four or five hours long and Dido rarely breaks one hour -- so it's probably a better choice for the novice. And it's in English so you don't have the read the supertitles.

Worst (not including the amateur one because that wouldn't be fair) was probably Magic Flute. That demands grand theatrics and we were not given grand theatrics at the Merrill. Nor was the coloratura soprano skilled enough to pull off the Der Hölle Rache aria at the speed it should be sung. Her tessitura wasn't high enough and she struggled with the whole thing, missing the F6 altogether. Nobody booed, but it's the only time I can recall at the Merrill when nobody applauded after a big aria.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

i saw a performance of rocky horror picture show a few years and i hated every single second of it.

ive seen musical plays before, little shop of horrors and maybe another one and they arnt my favorite thing but i thought little shop of horrors was goog. rocky horror picture show SUCKS.

its intolerable, i couldnt decide if i was more annoyed by the stage actors or the audience, and i know its supposed to be an audience experience but i wanted to and should have just left.

i got so pissed off by the end of it and i was in such a bad mood lol.

numberoneposter fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Sep 9, 2022

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
The best musical I ever saw was Broadway's Les Mis , but I've been to a lot of different shows so I can't remember all of them

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Practicing Hypnolaw since 1990
Grimey Drawer
Monster Soup
Shadow Box
The Murder at the Vicarage
Death of a Salesman
A couple of really lovely, cheesy melodramas at an old people club
Rocky Horror Picture Show
Chess
Sweeney Todd
Scream Queens
Scapino
A Chorus Line
A Streetcar Named Desire
Romeo and Juliet
A Midsummer Night’s Dream
The Diary of Anne Frank
Taming of the Shrew
Cabaret
Fiddler on the Roof
La Cage aux Folles
Little Shop of Horrors

The jewel in the crown was Evita at what was then the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion in Los Angeles- didn’t see Patti LuPone, but her understudy was great, and Mandy Patinkin was loving fabulous.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Lombardi

Book of Mormon

Carmen

Die Fledermaus

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

A bunch of stuff at Seattle Children's Theatre during elementary school. I mostly remember A Wrinkle in Time with a bunch of synchronized ball bouncing

High school:
Fiddler on the Roof
drat Yankees
Into the Woods (non-flanderized version)
Fiddler was best

Schools also had a thing with the Seattle Opera for cheap/free tickets to dress rehearsals, so a bunch of random operas

College did Rocky every year. It was mostly good for being an event, the musical itself is fundamentally kinda crap.
One history professor's taught a seminar on Shakespeare every year and they ended every year with a production of one of the plays. Those were less well executed, since it was history students, not theatre.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
The only musical I've ever seen live was Rent, and (unpopular opinion alert) I found the play dreadful and the songs even worse.

Incremus posted:

Without Dear Evan Hansen the play there would be no Dear Evan Hansen the movie, and without Dear Evan Hansen the movie there would be no uproariously scathing review of the movie by Jenny Nicholson. Worth it, imho, but then again I've never actually seen the play/movie itself.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Mrs. Doubtfire, it was pretty good. I was surprised the lead could do so much dancing and running around under heavy Karl Havoc make up.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

YeahTubaMike posted:

The only musical I've ever seen live was Rent, and (unpopular opinion alert) I found the play dreadful and the songs even worse.
That is a Right and Good opinion. It's worse than Cats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pony Jabroni
Feb 27, 2016

one time my friend and i sewed together our own skirts and conspiracy t shirts and went to an olive garden at 9:30 AM and ordered six liters of wine and free bread sticks and it was the best day ever
in high school the only one i remember was les miserables, since it was such a production and i played in the orchestra.

ive seen off-broadway beauty and the beast, the lion king, cabaret, and hadestown. hadestown being the most recent and was so glad i went. we did get persephone's understudy at my show and god she nailed it. i kinda liked her more than the original lady. i even liked the guy who played hades almost a little more than the original guy. would still highly suggest it though!