Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

Kale
May 14, 2010

Flowing Thot posted:

"South Korean developer Shift Up released its financial results for 2023, reporting massive gains in terms of operating profit – this value went up by 516% year-on-year and grew to around $82.4 million USD. Looking at net profits, Shift Up managed to turn a loss of around $5.3m USD from 2022 into a plus of around $79m USD – not a small feat by any means."

"Earlier this year, Shift Up initiated the process of getting listed on the Korean Stock Exchange – with analysts predicting it to be valued at over $2 billion USD."

https://videogames.si.com/news/shift-up-profit-growth-2023

I don't think Sony wants to pay Bungie money for Shift Up.

I don't get the sense they'd be in that sort of ball park. Not like Tencent trying to acquire Mihoyo and being rebuffed and now them being valued so high that the talk would be more merger than acquisition. Apparently no other privately owned gaming company in the world is worth more now. Shift up indeed went public though, but I think after Kim Hyung-Tae the next biggest owner of Shift Up is Tencent and Kim only has a 45% share apparently so even buying up his shares wouldn't be enough to get a controlling interest. That's where the tricky part lies in getting him to cough up his shares and then trying to convince Tencent to cough up another 6% or so, assuming they have that much. That's even if they see clear value in it necessarily rather than continuing to partner up with them on some projects here and there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Kale posted:

trying to convince Tencent to cough up another 6% or so, assuming they have that much.

Quick google shows Tencent has 20%.

But yeah, doesn’t seem likely. More publishing deals between them maybe, but not acquisition.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Vikar Jerome posted:

Enjoying the two posters posting through this poo poo with a good bit about a fake game called Megaton Musashi, i might join in tbh

It's real and its good!! My uncle works at level 5 and he said it's gonna get an advertising budget any day now!!!!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I remember the gacha game Limbus Corporation gave a female character a full-rear end wetsuit as a "summer swimsuit" because that's pretty funny but a bunch of Korean chuds got angry so the developer had to fire am artist that they had pegged as a feminist and then they also went through the game to edit out instances of characters holding their fingers up in any way like 🤏 because apparently that means the character is making fun of My Small Penis Specifically

The losers over there don't play, man

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

:stonklol:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

If you think that's bad, wait til you hear what they did to Ligma Associated.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

They were like legitimately at the doors of the company in a way that people feared for their safety

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Shift Up's gacha game Nikke (which is largely about staring at women's asses while they shoot guns, is my understanding from its ads) had a crossover with Chainsaw Man where you could acquire Makima, a character that series' fanbase goes ferally horny for. However, the catch was that she was wearing a long trenchcoat, so you couldn't stare at her rear end while she shot guns, and people went ballistic.

This has nothing to do with anything, but it is very funny.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

They also had a Nier Automata collab where they had Pascal, a robot who does not have an rear end, and people complained about that despite 2B, the character who Has The rear end, also being in the collab

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the funniest thing about nikke is that its playerbase is like 30-40% female

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Bugblatter posted:

Sony clearly does want to continue investing in SK development, but I don’t think there are any obvious candidates for acquisition right now.
the path forward is pretty clearly the same as they did for stellarblade, toss korean mobile game devs money to make a single-a ps5 exclusive. fans of their previous work will check it out and it helps build those devs up, while being a relatively small investment from the sony side relative to aaa game budgets. acquiring them would be its own can of worms, but this avenue is pretty simple and has similar benefits.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

If you think that's bad, wait til you hear what they did to Ligma Associated.

What’s Updog?

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

I'm having flashbacks to finding out about that one mobile game that combined gun fetishes with loli fetishes. Iirc there was even a thread for it on these very forums.

I'm consequently really loving depressed rn

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Waffleman_ posted:

I remember the gacha game Limbus Corporation gave a female character a full-rear end wetsuit as a "summer swimsuit" because that's pretty funny but a bunch of Korean chuds got angry so the developer had to fire am artist that they had pegged as a feminist and then they also went through the game to edit out instances of characters holding their fingers up in any way like 🤏 because apparently that means the character is making fun of My Small Penis Specifically

The losers over there don't play, man

Outrage over the finger gesture has happened with multiple games. Lost Ark is another prominent one. Remember the shitstorm over this poster for camping snacks?

The nationwide shitstorm was ridiculous. The graphic designer was pushed to make a public apology where she said she wasn't a misandrist, loved her husband and son, and she wasn't a part of any feminist organizations. The marketing team lead was still fired to sate the rage of the masses in the end.

Afterward I started trying to use the gesture as much as possible when referring to small quantities, just to watch dudes flinch.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Apr 28, 2024

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

free hubcaps posted:

I'm having flashbacks to finding out about that one mobile game that combined gun fetishes with loli fetishes. Iirc there was even a thread for it on these very forums.

I'm consequently really loving depressed rn

there's an azur lane thread with posts like this

killer_robot posted:

what, you mean the main focus of the actual game? how dare they put big titty ninjas in scantily clad tattered clothing from a game about.. big titty ninjas in scantily clad tattered (if any) clothing!

So, yeah. If you rub the big titty ninjas ships their uniform gets torn up and they flash bra and panty. It's actually a bit of a process because you have to rub the screen repeatedly and not have the motion coded as a tap at any point. Still, honestly, they remain more dressed than most of the in house russian lolis in that game.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Flowing Thot posted:

"South Korean developer Shift Up released its financial results for 2023, reporting massive gains in terms of operating profit – this value went up by 516% year-on-year and grew to around $82.4 million USD. Looking at net profits, Shift Up managed to turn a loss of around $5.3m USD from 2022 into a plus of around $79m USD – not a small feat by any means."

"Earlier this year, Shift Up initiated the process of getting listed on the Korean Stock Exchange – with analysts predicting it to be valued at over $2 billion USD."

https://videogames.si.com/news/shift-up-profit-growth-2023

I don't think Sony wants to pay Bungie money for Shift Up.

Thanks for the source. Ya that was why I was wondering how we well Project Nikke does, a succesful mobile gacha game definitely makes them way more valuable. That is another platform Sony probably wants some exposure to.
Valuation is probably too steep though unless Sony panic sell Bungie. Honestly feel like that Bungie acquisition will bite Sony in the rear end for a long time. Hopefully am wrong tho and Marathon or Destiny 3 are great.

Bugblatter posted:

Tencent is the majority shareholder of Shift Up, I believe (a lot of their internal issues with treatment of female staff came up when Tencent grilled them about it during a shareholder meeting, anyway), which might make a Sony acquisition unrealistic.

Sony was also looking at acquiring Round8 (Lies of P studio), but they’re only one studio within Neowiz and the only branch of that company that is doing well. Neowiz of course didn’t want to lose their only strong studio and Sony didn’t want to buy the whole company for one part.

Sony clearly does want to continue investing in SK development, but I don’t think there are any obvious candidates for acquisition right now.

I am sure Sony is looking at SK up n coming devs due to lower valuation than western companies. Console gaming ain't big in SK tho, it's still primarily a pc market but we are seeing some change in SK and China with more singleplayer games.

Just a exciting time with South Korean and Chinese devs potentially entering the market of singleplayer games in a bigger sense.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Ulio posted:

I am sure Sony is looking at SK up n coming devs due to lower valuation than western companies. Console gaming ain't big in SK tho, it's still primarily a pc market but we are seeing some change in SK and China with more singleplayer games.

Just a exciting time with South Korean and Chinese devs potentially entering the market of singleplayer games in a bigger sense.

Console gaming has grown massively here in just the last few years. I think covid was a major factor, since no one could go to PC방s for a couple years. Adoption rates for the Switch and PS5 are quite similar with western countries, whereas previous generations barely sold here at all. I think that's the major motivation in all the major local developers now working on PS5 ports.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the fact that people spent more time at home also meant phone games were less appealing probably, less need to have something you can tap at for 15 minutes during a break as opposed to an experience you wanna have at least a couple hours a session to devote to

Kale
May 14, 2010

Arist posted:

Shift Up's gacha game Nikke (which is largely about staring at women's asses while they shoot guns, is my understanding from its ads) had a crossover with Chainsaw Man where you could acquire Makima, a character that series' fanbase goes ferally horny for. However, the catch was that she was wearing a long trenchcoat, so you couldn't stare at her rear end while she shot guns, and people went ballistic.

This has nothing to do with anything, but it is very funny.

The same thing kind of happened with another anime collab they did with a franchise called Re:Zero which is very like PG-13 so people were mad it didn't give them enough T&A to look at. The characters in that franchise just kind of look like your standard post 2010's anime trope designs, just not especially overt about it enough to be R-18 or really even 15+. It seems to happen with everything that game ends up collaborating IPs with and it is kind of funny yeah. I just sort of look at these games and honestly can't understand why they're quite as controversial as they are, but then again I'm a bit of a weeb admittedly so.....:shrug:

Bugblatter posted:

Tencent is the majority shareholder of Shift Up, I believe (a lot of their internal issues with treatment of female staff came up when Tencent grilled them about it during a shareholder meeting, anyway), which might make a Sony acquisition unrealistic.

Sony was also looking at acquiring Round8 (Lies of P studio), but they’re only one studio within Neowiz and the only branch of that company that is doing well. Neowiz of course didn’t want to lose their only strong studio and Sony didn’t want to buy the whole company for one part.

Yeah I think it's less about specifically wanting to support Shift Up and looking to make inroads into the Korean market any way they can. This partnership always just felt like a bit of a weird mismatch in terms of the marketing effort rather noticeably.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

wow Stellar Blade is shockingly unsubtle about telegraphing its plot twists. They might as well hang a flashing neon sign up. It almost feels like they accidentally put NPC dialogue that’s supposed to be from the final act of the game into the first section of it.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

The demo had some note on one of the dead bodies that instantly had me think “oh, the monsters are the old humans.” Like, I wasn’t sure if it was blunt foreshadowing or just the explicit context until people got angry about spoilers a couple pages back.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Bugblatter posted:

The demo had some note on one of the dead bodies that instantly had me think “oh, the monsters are the old humans.” Like, I wasn’t sure if it was blunt foreshadowing or just the explicit context until people got angry about spoilers a couple pages back.

There’s at least 3 other twists on top of that which I’m already 99% certain are gonna happen, one of which is because some random NPC was talking as if the twist already happened???

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:

Augus posted:

There’s at least 3 other twists on top of that which I’m already 99% certain are gonna happen, one of which is because some random NPC was talking as if the twist already happened???

I feel like I just met this NPC and I had a real "huh" on my mind the entire conversation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Sounds like you're doing fine? If you're loving around in Hirata that place is a bit higher of a difficulty curve than the main story route at that point in the game, but if you've figured out how to Mikiri then I'd say you're doing better than many others often do. Sekiro is all about leveling up in the brain. Hesitation is defeat.

appreciate the expectation setting here. i'm trying to go into it with the mindset that my observation and reaction to the enemies is the most important thing, but it's a little frustrating when i'm trying to parry a series of wild attacks and if even one slips through i'm dead and have to run past 12 enemies and confront another 8 before i even get a chance to get it wrong a single time going back up against the boss. but i also need to remember/realize that in souls games, when you're beating your head against a wall, there's usually other poo poo to do and i should stop being too stubborn and just go do the main path again for a while.

Thundercracker posted:

One tip I have for Sekiro and especially big bosses like the ogre is that way more attacks are parryable than you think. In fact all the attacks other than grabs for the ogre are parryable even if they look meaty and aren't traditional strikes. The danger pop-up is pretty legit guide.

Once you get that you can stay on top of him and finish him quickly.

Also alot of mini bosses like the ogre can have their first life stealth killed. Like you can just backtrack after triggering him and get an easy backstab.

this is a good tip, and one that i started to figure out a little bit on my own but it's nice to have it spelled out. the ogre guy does this weird dropkick that can be parried which doesn't seem like it should make sense and wouldn't work in other souls games, but it makes sense for the style of game this is, and lies of p did a good enough job of emulating sekiro and employed the mechanic of parrying any attack even if it wasn't a traditional sword strike or whatever. the side swipe attacks still gently caress me up though when they have the danger meter, bc i'm still getting used to having three different ways to respond to it with various timing per enemy. i'll get it, though.

Escobarbarian posted:

When we were having the last Eternal discussion I was thinking about how Sekiro is like the ideal of that style because you only have to remember a few things for all enemies instead of several for each enemy. “Get good at parrying” is 90% of it, you can parry any attack that doesn’t have the red symbol on top, and then red symbol attacks are mostly about looking at the enemy’s body language to figure out which kind of attack it’s gonna be out of three (grab/thrust/sweep) and then doing the appropriate counter (dodge/mikiri/jump). And actually I think you can still party thrusts? But mikiris are easier and better, you have a point about that being an essential skill but it’s a very early skill and also, importantly, it’s like the coolest move in any video game ever

it's more versatile to be able to use the same few moves against any enemy in the game vs in a game like doom eternal where you need to remember a certain weapon mod for each specific enemy, and the same weapon strats don't work the same for even similar enemy types. but, maybe like what will happen in sekiro, once i knew the pattern for each enemy in a given arena in doom eternal, it just became a game of executing the right combo of balancing ammo and using the right mods/methods to dispatch the various enemies, and focusing on crowd control.

lordfrikk posted:

You can deflect thrusts but not block them so it's infinitely safer to use a Mikiri counter, yeah. I've practiced on the last boss so much I just got used to parrying his thrusts but otherwise I will always go for a Mikiri.

You don't need anything to defeat it but it can help. If you're finding he has too much HP, you're probably not being aggressive enough. The only attacks to watch out for are the grabs which always seemed inconsistent to me.

Go somewhere else for now. You can clean up everything else and just get him later.

i have the problem of getting too stubborn and thinking i can brute force something just bc i know it can be done, even though i'm still barely getting to know the game. it's like i get angry when i'm bad at bowling, but i only bowl like once every 6 years or whatever. just a dumb pride thing.

but yeah i'm gonna venture elsewhere like i mentioned above. appreciate the advice.