Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Has anyone successfully set up the Legacy Contact thing? My partner and I are both on the latest iOS but when we add the other as a legacy contact we get a text with a link to this information page that says “the access key will be stored in the Apple ID settings on your device automatically”, but in the Legacy Contact settings it shows the other person with text saying “Access key has not been saved”.

Is this just buggy or am I missing a step?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

FCKGW posted:

Happened to myself earlier. I was sitting on my rear end watching Twitch when my iPhone, Mac and AppleTV all locked me out. Seems to be some widespread issue but no cause identified yet.

https://9to5mac.com/2024/04/26/signed-out-of-apple-id-account-problem-password/

Happened to me also. Was worried someone was trying to brute force their way into my Apple ID.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

TACD posted:

Has anyone successfully set up the Legacy Contact thing? My partner and I are both on the latest iOS but when we add the other as a legacy contact we get a text with a link to this information page that says “the access key will be stored in the Apple ID settings on your device automatically”, but in the Legacy Contact settings it shows the other person with text saying “Access key has not been saved”.

Is this just buggy or am I missing a step?

iirc the person getting the request has to go to Settings > User Name at top of screen > Sign-In & Security > Legacy Contact and there should be an option there to accept the request.

I had trouble getting it set up as well. Took a few tries before it worked. It’s pretty poorly explained how to actually accept someone’s request.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Branch Nvidian posted:

iirc the person getting the request has to go to Settings > User Name at top of screen > Sign-In & Security > Legacy Contact and there should be an option there to accept the request.
Yeah neither of us have that option, just the heading “Your legacy contact” with the other person and the text saying the key hasn’t been saved.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
This loving account locking glitch is pretty goddamn bad. I can barely use my phone from the dialog popping up, and the procedure to unlock and sign in just loops.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

You can leave the popup on the screen any use any computer to do it from iCloud.com

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

FCKGW posted:

You can leave the popup on the screen any use any computer to do it from iCloud.com

I ended up doing it through my Mac and fixed it. But yesterday the Mac didn’t display the prompt so I feel slightly vindicated

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Inner Light posted:

The Justice Department was hoping to see that too but alas it did not happen

That is much more about the loving banks whinging that they are not control of the new hotness in payment devices.

Maudib Arakkis
Dec 24, 2023

LEST I GET MORE "OWNED" FOR BEING "STUPID" I WILL SAY THIS IS CATEGORICALLY UNTRUE. IT IS OFTEN PART OF DIAGNOSIS AND STAGING BUT IS ALMOST USELESS FOR TREATMENT.
How do I stop junk marketing texts. I get constant texts particularly from mountain bike and outdoor gear sale websites despite always delete and report as junk. what in the world

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Send them a reply that says: STOP

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Maudib Arakkis posted:

How do I stop junk marketing texts. I get constant texts particularly from mountain bike and outdoor gear sale websites despite always delete and report as junk. what in the world

Get ready for a tsunami of them come November :mrwhite:

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Maudib Arakkis posted:

This is not a perfect solution, but you can turn on Filter Unknown Senders and then set Messages to Known Senders by default.

It kind of sucks if you use a lot of SMS 2FA.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

~Coxy posted:

When I go camping I put my phone in the pocket on the wall of the tent and it absolutely demolishes the battery every time. (It's not even cold! Overnight minimum 13° Celsius) One day I will remember not to do this.

I think I worked out what this actually was, and am posting here as a warning to future generations.

If you have a USB-C phone and a USB-C battery, you can end up in a stupid situation where the battery charges the phone until a certain point, but then the phone starts charging the battery, and then the battery goes back to charging the phone, until you wake up in the morning and both phone and battery are dead.

I don't think there's any settings on the phone to disable buddy charging, so next time I go camping I think I'll bring a A-C cable instead.

VVV it is a store-brand 12000 mAh USB-C PD device, so not the absolute cheapest aliexpress garbage but not anything from a reputable brand either. Although I'm not sure this issue can be solved by the power bank itself.

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Apr 29, 2024

astral
Apr 26, 2004

What power bank is it?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

~Coxy posted:

I think I worked out what this actually was, and am posting here as a warning to future generations.

If you have a USB-C phone and a USB-C battery, you can end up in a stupid situation where the battery charges the phone until a certain point, but then the phone starts charging the battery, and then the battery goes back to charging the phone, until you wake up in the morning and both phone and battery are dead.

I don't think there's any settings on the phone to disable buddy charging, so next time I go camping I think I'll bring a A-C cable instead.
Yeah, I have to use a USB A to C cable to charge my phone with my Anker Powercore Slim 10k. It’s really dumb bc I specifically bought it for 20W fast charging when I had a 13 Pro and the USB A output only does 12W. Oh well.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

~Coxy posted:

VVV it is a store-brand 12000 mAh USB-C PD device, so not the absolute cheapest aliexpress garbage but not anything from a reputable brand either. Although I'm not sure this issue can be solved by the power bank itself.

Lmao

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I believe the charging direction can only change when the cable is first plugged in. The two devices negotiate who has the lowest voltage and the higher voltage provides power as long as they're connected.

I would hope there's logic so that a power bank never requests power from a device otherwise they'd be completely useless for actually charging anything but I guess I don't know that for sure and I ain't opening the usb-pd spec to figure it out.

I know I've used power banks overnight and not had both a dead phone and a dead battery, so I guess if one is seeing that they got a crappy power bank.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

astral posted:

Send them a reply that says: STOP

It’s this. They’re being sent by large 3rd party SMS providers who will stop when you follow the opt-out instructions. Deleting and marking as junk does not opt-out.

Same with marketing emails. Just click unsubscribe.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

My power bank shuts off after a short time (maybe a minute) of inactivity so it never runs into that back-and-forth charging situation. I thought that this was standard. I noticed that my iPods pro 2 case only charges to 95-ish with my power bank so it's definitely shutting off when the power draw is very low.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The usb-c in the 15s does have some quirks it seems.

My power bank wouldn’t charge my phone over usb-c when I was checking that before a flight a few days ago. I usually use it wirelessly, but for travel I was using a different phone case.

I thought it was just the charger and ordered a new one, but Amazon sent the wrong thing and I had to return it so I never got a chance to test with another before I left.

The first night I plugged it into an a/c adapter and no charging there either. All I had to do is reboot the phone, my power bank is fine.