Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

edit: quoting update for new page

This stage and boss fight make the previous conversation about the game having a non-linear difficulty curve unintentionally much funnier

Not that I don't think it's a good design philosophy, mind. And given by the comments, Dennis agrees. Just not for this stage in particular. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

I assume those boss rooms with nothing in them on the way to the refights are where you'd fight the ally bosses if you hadn't rescued them earlier.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.

PlasticAutomaton posted:

I assume those boss rooms with nothing in them on the way to the refights are where you'd fight the ally bosses if you hadn't rescued them earlier.

Yup. It makes this stage much harder, with 12 boss fights and no 2 extra lives.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Rematch bosses definitely seem more aggressive.

For example Ghost lady did three sweeps when doing the sweep attack in the first fight, now she does 4.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

The faint trace of the rescued bosses' attacks is a good touch. Gives you the chance to figure out what's going on if you rescued everybody, and thus feel like you accomplished something.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Can we talk about giving you the refight stage with two gauntlet stages to go through first to get to the (buffed) refights and also if you didn't go for 100% you have to fight even MORE bosses and less resources with no E-tanks along the way? After the exceptionally brutal Protoman stage and boss to purposefully drain your E-tanks? What the hell.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

It is a fangame.
I'm honestly surprised it took this long to reach Kaizo levels of bullshit.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

I think some of these criticisms are at least a bit unfair. For one thing, unlocking the Protoman stage means you will not have to fight the extra bosses in that run (you need to save all four allies and unlock their respective locks to make that level available). And also, with a bit of practice the Copy Robot fight is very readable, and not that hard to get through without spending E tanks.

Also, I'm not convinced these are actually tougher versions of the Robot Masters. It all just feels like a pretty standard rematch stage to me (with the added gimmick of having to swap between Rock and Roll each attempt, which I thought was a neat twist).

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Copy Robot didn't look that bullshit, just that Tea lost it at the shifts.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Omobono posted:

I'm honestly surprised it took this long to reach Kaizo levels of bullshit.
I wouldn't compare them, to be honest. Kaizo is just mean and awful to the player for no reason other than "challenge", this game has actual thought put into it.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Nov 18, 2022

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Explopyro posted:

I think some of these criticisms are at least a bit unfair. For one thing, unlocking the Protoman stage means you will not have to fight the extra bosses in that run (you need to save all four allies and unlock their respective locks to make that level available). And also, with a bit of practice the Copy Robot fight is very readable, and not that hard to get through without spending E tanks.

Also, I'm not convinced these are actually tougher versions of the Robot Masters. It all just feels like a pretty standard rematch stage to me (with the added gimmick of having to swap between Rock and Roll each attempt, which I thought was a neat twist).

Eh I can say that Copy Robot is pretty loving stupid since it's essentially three seperate full HP bars of boss with no weakness to exploit.

I've managed to get past only using a single tank but none feels like I'm just running for the right RNG since Roll's attack pattern is completely trivial if she jumps and an absolute nightmare if she doesn't.

This isn't Kaizo though, there's nothing here that's outright trying to make you have a bad time.

Dennis even noted that his thought around the extra robots was that players on their first time will make the effort to find them all, but speedrunners wouldn't and he wanted speedrunners to have a harder challenge in the final stage, so having to care about ammunition usage and the like.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
I did say before that two bosses were easier with the buster. I've replayed Drake a few times and i think Bubble is easier now, but the snowball weapon is so terrible I honestly feel it's better to take on Reactor Man with the buster.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

I like the gimmick for this fight

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

This is a really creative Wily Machine fight, and as a concept I love it, but as a player I mostly found it frustrating. I really had a hard time with this one, and it's the single fight in the game where I felt like the limit of 3 E-tanks might be too few.

You're limited to a fairly small space, the attacks have lots of spread, and you need to be in very specific locations (with the right timing) to do damage at all. It's just a lot happening at once, and it's easy for mistakes to snowball in a way I found frustrating (oops, I got hit! now I fall off the platform and can't get back in time, the window closes again and I have to start the whole cycle over).

You guys managed to sight-read it and catch on to how it works much faster than I did, though, so maybe you won't feel like you're bashing your heads against the wall as long as I did. (I do really hope you stumble upon the weakness for phase two, because I think you'll enjoy seeing it, but it's kind of obscure.)

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

I just be the game for the first time myself; I was stuck on the Protoman stage for a long time, and I also used all my E-tanks to get through the fight. I had no major problems getting through the boss re-fights, and as for the Wily Machine, it took me a few tries to figure out the best way to go about the fight. It's honestly not too bad once you figure out the weaknesses and can get into a good rhythm. I eventually managed to beat it without using any of my E-tanks but I used up all three in the Wily Capsule fight.

Also I hope they figure out the second phase weakness during the next episode. It'll make Yorkshire Tea's day for certain once they figure it out.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

A wonderful ending to a wonderful game and LP.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Good going at the end there, it was very tense. FWIW the Wily machine weaknesses were:

Phase 1: laser. Does good damage to the eyes, and opens the shutters fast, too.
Phase 2: BEETLES! You have to shoot them right under the hatches after he drops his bombs; it's also kind of funny, as the corpses pile up around Wily at the controls and pop out when you win.

I agree it was a great game; I haven't played 9 but know it has a good reputation. This LP was also the first I had heard of this game, so I'm glad you decided to pick it up.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

AtomikKrab posted:

A wonderful ending to a wonderful game and LP.
Seconded! And I'm really glad that my request had such an unexpectedly positive effect :)

Looking forward to Sonic Frontiers; from what I've heard about it, reactions are pretty cleanly split between "amazingly good" and "unplayable trash".

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
So how does this end if you don't get Proto out? I mean, yes, Lilght recovers and repairs all the captured Bots, but without Proto in the way, Doesn't Wily escape?

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Thanks for another great LP! This was fun, I really enjoyed getting to experience this game again with you (and seeing Dennis' comments on the videos, he was a really good sport).

I'm glad you came out positive on the game and it helped get your LP energy back; I was getting a bit worried for a bit, with how frustrated you were getting in the early Wily stages. This game really doesn't pull a lot of its punches.

berryjon posted:

So how does this end if you don't get Proto out? I mean, yes, Lilght recovers and repairs all the captured Bots, but without Proto in the way, Doesn't Wily escape?

As far as I know, there's a "bad" ending where Wily gets away. I've never seen it, though (every playthrough I've watched did it this way, as did I when I played it myself), so I don't know the details of how it goes.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

if anyone wants to see this great game again, but really really fast this time, it was run on agdq this past week:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_WqjbnsNl0

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
The run through Wily Roll 2 is so loving unbelievable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Natural 20 posted:

The run through Wily Roll 2 is so loving unbelievable.

Absolutely insane. I wonder how long the speed runner practice the stage.