Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

About the Game

Mega Man Rock & Roll is a 2019 fangame released by Dennis Engelhard on the PC. Inspired loosely by Mega Man 9, the game imagines a new plot from Dr. Wiley in the Mega Man universe and sets the Blue Bomber to stop Wiley's nefarious deeds once again.

The big change added by the mod is the inclusion of Roll, Mega Man's sister as a playable character. Roll has typically been a supporting character across most of Mega Man, she sometimes acts a shopkeeper, but is usually simply there to comment on events and be the housekeeper for Dr. Light's lab. She's seen some extra play in the likes of the Mega Man Battle Network series where she acts as a powerful early summon and as a friend of Mega Man, but ultimately remains a background character there as well. She's also rather infamously seen play in fighting games, being the absolute worst character in Marvel vs. Capcom 2 to the point that an entire tier is named after her and dedicated to how terrible she is.

But Engelhard's efforts have given the maligned younger sister a new lease on life as she enters the fray here. Roll is distinct from her brother, Rock, in that she has a double jump, incredibly useful in the precision platforming world of Mega Man, but at the cost of taking a point more of damage from all sources and lacking the ability to charge her buster.

It's a strong contrast, with the siblings being very powerful in very distinct circumstances, Roll is much more likely to get you to a boss, but might well struggle when you get there.

That's not all for changes made, with Engelhard adopting the weapon wheel introduced in Mega Man 11 and finally having half the robot masters be female.

Unsurprisingly, fan reception for the mod has been excellent, with Engelhard himself being taken aback by the response.

What makes it more surprising is that this is Engelhard's first ever game mod, with the original concept for Rock & Roll simply being an attempt to recreate Mega Man's physics.

The creativity on display really speaks to what I think is a bright future for him in game development and it shows as he's taken what he learnt here and is working on his first original game, Nevermore.

I can speak for both Tea and myself when I say that we are incredibly excited to see what this game has in store.

About the LP

This is a blind Co-op LP. Tea and I will play through the game and when possible (aka when Tea is at my house) we will swap controllers with each level and each life so you can see our different approaches to platforming!

Art and banners, will, as ever, be handled by the amazing Bifauxnen.

Episodes

Links

Our Patreon! - In case you want to support our LPs and see episodes early! (Incidentally this is also the only place where I can actually time video releases, so if I need to delay posting a video here, it will show up on Patreon on its own.)

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Apr 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
Psst. Zero was GBA and ZX was DS. Nether was on 3DS

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I'd never heard of Megaman Dongs until now, so I'm gonna go look for a LP to witness the beauty of Mega Manatee in action.

Ghost Woman and Reactor Man because she has the coolest portrait.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

mateo360 posted:

Psst. Zero was GBA and ZX was DS. Nether was on 3DS

Ding ding ding!

I realised this after the upload, so you have won my TOTALLY INTENTIONAL error spotting competition.

Your prize is an extra vote.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I remember seeing someone stream this a year or two ago and it looked good so looking forward to it again.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Ghost Woman and Reactor Man get my vote. Ghost Woman sounds cool.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

I can't remember these levels well enough to make an informed decision, so, uh...

(This is a vote for Beetle Lady and Tide Man)

Ptolo
Oct 31, 2011
Very cool that this is a fangame built from the ground up instead of a romhack. It will be interesting to see how well it replicates the physics.

Beetle Lady and Tide Man so we get to see some robo bugs :3

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Beetle Lady seemed the most visually interesting.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
Looking forward to this :)

I'll vote Beetle Lady and Tide Man.

edit: Also, in a thread like this it would be amiss to not mention Heavy Sigh's LPs of Mega Man Fangames for the old Fangames threads. The games showcased are of... let's say, varying quality. I especially recommend the Mega Man Recharged LP for an example of another very, very good fangame (still unreleased, unfortunately).

Carpator Diei fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Sep 17, 2022

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Why yes, I DO have enough CON to whip my hair.

Ghost Woman and Reactor Man sounds good.

Somehow never heard of this game.
Gonna download it immediately.

Edit: Whew, that sure is some old-school difficulty.

Cyflan fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Sep 17, 2022

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Agreed with Ghost Woman and Reactor Man

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Our adventure begins, as always, with some incompetence.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Of the four robot masters who got kidnapped during the intro stage, two of them were Fire Man from MM1 and Skull Man from MM4, but the others are more obscure. As far as I know, Honey Woman is an original creation for this game, but she has a lot in common with Hornet Man from MM9. Meanwhile, Dagger Man is from another fangame, Mega Man: Super Fighting Robot (you guys might enjoy that one too).

This game honestly does a good job of balancing the two characters, as you've already noticed. It tends to break down a bit along the lines that Roll is better at getting to bosses while Rock is better at killing them, but there are definitely parts of stages where the charge shot makes things much easier, and some bosses' attacks are a lot easier to avoid with the double jump.

I remember Ghost Woman being one of the tougher stages, I think I might've left her for last? I don't think this is quite so bad as starting with Torch Man, at least. And of course the Castlevania aesthetic is great.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

That was an incredible trap at the end.

Luninareph
Jan 12, 2019

Why, no, I wouldn't hurt a (butter)fly. Why do you ask?
That was really fun to watch! Looking forward to seeing more :)

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Explopyro posted:

Of the four robot masters who got kidnapped during the intro stage, two of them were Fire Man from MM1 and Skull Man from MM4, but the others are more obscure. As far as I know, Honey Woman is an original creation for this game, but she has a lot in common with Hornet Man from MM9.

If memory serves, Honey Woman was actually Hornet Man's original design concept before he was changed into his current incarnation.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
That ending was amazing. You took it with good humor, which is always nice. I'm looking forward to see more of this game, it has the real Mega Man feel.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Tallgeese posted:

If memory serves, Honey Woman was actually Hornet Man's original design concept before he was changed into his current incarnation.
Exactly. The original concept art was released at some point, and there are quite a few differences:

In fact, this might be the answer to the question why Splash Woman is weak to bees: She kind of replaced Honey Woman as first female robot master.

Carpator Diei fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Sep 20, 2022

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

oooh, this looks lovely so far!

that trap was Good Trap Design, because it was one of the pop-up spikes, not a death spike hidden behind the 1up sprite. if you notice the gold pixels appear under you, you've got a split second to hop away and keep your prize

also getting killed right after grabbing a 1up is, at worst, a small and funny waste of your time

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
This looks like it'll be fun. I like the touch of changing the starting message between "Ready to Rock" and "Ready to Roll" depending on who you're playing as.

One thing I don't get is making Roll take more damage from enemies than Rock. She already has less firepower to compensate for the increase to mobility, having her be more fragile on top of that seems excessive. But I'm not a game designer, so I suppose I should withhold final judgment until the game is over.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
The only criticism I have of this game so far is the double-penalty of increased damage and no charged buster for Roll, but as we haven't seen any of the other weapons and abilities she and her brother will unlock in this games, it may very well be a reasonable balance in the long run.

Super happy to learn this exists and I'm definitely going to follow this with rapt interest.

Also happy to see it's blind and not an edited/deathless run. Falling down pits is proud Mega Man TRADITION.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Shei-kun posted:

The only criticism I have of this game so far is the double-penalty of increased damage and no charged buster for Roll, but as we haven't seen any of the other weapons and abilities she and her brother will unlock in this games, it may very well be a reasonable balance in the long run.

Super happy to learn this exists and I'm definitely going to follow this with rapt interest.

Also happy to see it's blind and not an edited/deathless run. Falling down pits is proud Mega Man TRADITION.

I think the idea is that Roll is so much more mobile that she can avoid more damage than Rock can. The other unstated benefit she has is (I assume, but I think it's pretty clear from the footage) that she has effectively a turbo button for her buster. That's generally not as strong on bosses, but it can be more powerful on normal enemies that don't have invincibility frames. I do wish they'd gone full Bass and let her fire in different angles though.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
How punishing the "no charged buster" drawback is for Roll is probably quite dependent on the weapon quality in the game. If the robot master weapons are halfway decent and not worse than the uncharged buster (like far too many of them are :argh:), then it will only be a small drawback. If there are only one or two good weapons, it's a much bigger deal.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
In all the previous Megaman games, would I be willing to give up the charged buster and take 1 extra point of damage for the double jump? I'm pretty sure my answer is yes in every single one.

Thanks for introducing this game! I downloaded it and am having a blast.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

So far, this seems to be cleverly sadistic in a finely-tuned way, but rarely comes across as cheap.

The far-left gear on the bell boss being the big exception - it looked effectively impossible to destroy it unless you did it first or second

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Me, watching the video: ok that extra life seems fishy, there's probably a spike trap under it.
Me 2 seconds later: wait spikes are an instakill? :iia:

That was a fantastic start to this thread.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Well, now you know about the two major types of secrets/collectibles in the game: allies and letters. There's one letter in every stage, but only half the stages have a hidden boss that becomes an ally. (Interestingly I think they all fight differently from their original versions, as we saw with Skull Man here: they're still recognisable, but they have new moves and patterns.) I won't spoil what finding any of these does.

Ghost Woman is tough, good luck.

I assume you've already recorded a bit ahead so I'm not sure if telling you now will be helpful, but there's an infinite 1-up trick in this stage that might make things less painful for you going forward: In one of the narrow corridors, you'll find a purple bat. This bat has an extremely high chance of dropping a 1-up, and it's easy to respawn it by scrolling back and forth, so you can grind to a full stock of 9 lives in minutes.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Oof, that looked rough

Luninareph
Jan 12, 2019

Why, no, I wouldn't hurt a (butter)fly. Why do you ask?

Explopyro posted:

Ghost Woman is tough, good luck.

She DOES look tough... and also VERY COOL. I'm very impressed with the way she moves and acts and fights. It's really making good on what I would want to see from a boss called "Ghost Woman."

azren
Feb 14, 2011

I can already tell this is going to be a treasure to watch.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Shei-kun posted:

I will say that if it gets absolutely excessive on any one area you might end up getting a montage of all our deaths rather than watching the same segment 20 times as I get more enthusiastic and Tea goes more insane.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Oh, I figured if it would be something like an entire episode of nothing but deaths and no progress that editing would be done, as you've done similar things in previous LPs.

It's been a joy to watch your different approaches to the game so far. Getting so many childhood flashbacks to pixel perfect precision platforming and just how easy it felt back in the day.

Then I grew up and got a job and couldn't play games every day and suddenly it's not so easy.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Does this have the old 8-bit mechanic of being able to float on the edge of a platform so long as one pixel is on the ground?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Its megaman. He's like a dog, can't look up or down. So as long as he doesn't look down, gravity doesn't affect him as is natural per my excellent textbook Physics For Engineers by Will E. Cyote

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Episode 03 - Ghost Woman

Art will be along shortly!

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

So, for that corridor with the spiky roomba thing that's been infuriating you... I'm pretty sure what you're actually supposed to do is back up until it changes direction, then follow it until you're past the spikes. You don't need to do short hops to get past it unhurt.

On the other hand, that was an impressive showing against Ghost Woman! I usually have a lot more trouble with her, I'm not good at dodging the Soul Traps (and I rarely manage to escape via button mashing, I just assume I'm taking the hit if I get caught).

On Ghost Woman's patterns, you mentioned getting thrown off by that at first. As best I can tell, she just randomly chooses between the two attack sequences (appearing in front of you and throwing Soul Traps, or appearing in the window and releasing ghosts) each time. You guys did figure out that she only does the tackles if you get caught. I think there's a minor tell in that she stays invisible longer between attacks if the next attack is Soul Trap versus the ghosts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
drat fine job on Ghost Woman there. I eagerly await the shenanigans you get up to with her weapon, both intentional and otherwise.