Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL
I know that it's only preseason but holy smokes does Shane Pinto look better and better every game. I think Ottawa's in a pretty good place down the middle for the next 7 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug

Jhet posted:

What is the reason Vancouver could make the playoffs?

I know which save you're talking about. It was hot.

I mean Miller, Pettersson, Hughes, demko and kinda Horvat aren't a bad start at all, it's just basically the entire rest of the roster that is varying combinations of overpaid/underproducing/just not that good. Shut down those 4-5 and the rest of the roster just doesn't seem to have the tools to take advantage of any extra space that might give them

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

aejix posted:

I mean Miller, Pettersson, Hughes, demko and kinda Horvat aren't a bad start at all, it's just basically the entire rest of the roster that is varying combinations of overpaid/underproducing/just not that good. Shut down those 4-5 and the rest of the roster just doesn't seem to have the tools to take advantage of any extra space that might give them

Absolutely. They had some good looks in the first game against Seattle, but Demko was the only person really going in the 1st tonight. He made quite a few great saves and it could have been a lot worse than 3 GA.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Jhet posted:

What is the reason Vancouver could make the playoffs?

Pacific Garbage Patch

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Pacific Garbage Patch

I think I was referring to Demko, but that would also have been the answer for the question.

I just finished listening to the Chicago broadcast trying their very best to talk positively about the rebuild that is definitely happening. Meanwhile, they gave up two short handed goals and had about 12 shots all game. The Chicago Dumpster Fire has been lit with gasoline.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
so pitt/detroit tonight has been showing as upcoming on ESPN+ all day, but about a hour before disappeared. turns out NHL network acquired the feed so no ESPN+.
i knows it preseason but god the nhl makes it hard to find its product

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Game looks sloppy as hell but drat that Robertson play and Nylander finish :monocle:

Also Matt Murray has made some saves though I don’t love how he looks all the time

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Well I know it's preaseason but Malkin looks good out there. Seems faster and more slippery

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
It's kind of a funny thing when I watch the game and then check Nat Stat to see if the numbers match up with what I'm seeing and it sort of causes me to reevaluate. Prior to checking Nat Stat I was thinking the Pens were a bit sloppy, but mostly the better. Nat Stat has Detroit with a solid corsi, shot, and chance advantage. Like 60/40. Adjusting for all situations and everything becomes close to 50/50.

Checking the breakdowns and jfc Pettersson/Petry have 1 shot for 5v5 and 13/16 against. The top 6 forwards are posting really bad splits. I *thought* it had been more even than that, but going through in my head....yeah Sid's line has been very bad 5v5. Malkin has been noticeable for trying to dangle and then turning it over. Preseason and all, but that Petry/Pettersson pairing is ugly.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I say this everytime I have to listen to them but goddamn that old-man detroit announcer sucks
just confused Alexei Yashin with Ilya Kovalchuk too (talking about long contracts)

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Mickey Redmond has been going senile for like 5 years now and he really should be made to retire :(

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Malkin doesn't touch that puck that's a hilariously blown delayed offside.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Mickey Redmond has been going senile for like 5 years now and he really should be made to retire :(

detroit's broadcast was ranked the best in the league in an athletic poll this year which i thought was surprising.
i have a fondness for redmond but i do like it better when osgood is on the call
ken daniels is straight gold though

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
Tage Thompson earning that fat contract extension with a 1st period Gordie Howe hat trick. (in the pre-season)

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

th3t00t posted:

Tage Thompson earning that fat contract extension with a 1st period Gordie Howe hat trick. (in the pre-season)

Tage Thompson punching a dude during a preseason game was hilarious.

Not as hilarious as Dylan Cozens scoring a shortie. Sabres are dunking on Carolina’s b-team which is cool to watch but idk how helpful it is for them as a squad.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Tage Thompson punching a dude during a preseason game was hilarious.

Not as hilarious as Dylan Cozens scoring a shortie. Sabres are dunking on Carolina’s b-team which is cool to watch but idk how helpful it is for them as a squad.
It's a good sign that the Sabres A squad is dunking on the Canes B-squad. In not so distant seasons past there would have been little talent difference between the Sabres A and Canes B.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

th3t00t posted:

It's a good sign that the Sabres A squad is dunking on the Canes B-squad. In not so distant seasons past there would have been little talent difference between the Sabres A and Canes B.

They aren’t looking so hot in the third. Carolina is trying very hard now and the Sabres are having trouble adjusting.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

They aren’t looking so hot in the third. Carolina is trying very hard now and the Sabres are having trouble adjusting.
I think the Sabres got cocky after dominating the first 2 periods and took their foot off the gas and decided to coast in the 3rd. Seizing the opportunity the Canes tweeners auditioning for an NHL roster spot played their asses off in the 3rd. Sabres allowed 2 quick ugly goals and then started trying again and kinda clamped it down and ended up winning by 2 goals.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

That was quick

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Kakko :3:

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIČRE IN ME

Fantastic tip by Laf

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
drat this Zacha-Krejci-Pastrnak Czeching line (ha ha) might be pretty good

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Luh da Kids

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Rangers forwards seemed to do a poo poo job helping their D and covering rushes

Also that third pair was poo poo

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

suck it flames

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I'm at Nationwide there's a surprisingly big crowd here.

I don't hate the Safelite logos on the jerseys, which almost look from a distance that they could be an Adidas or other apparel brand logo.

Johnny Gaudreau makes his play look so effortless, which I've only seen of one other player in 16 years of watching this team.

Also, that Chinny goal was sick.

E- I'm glad Jake remembered he's allowed to shoot.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Oct 7, 2022

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I hope Thomas Greiss' outstanding two pad stack to bail himself out of his own turnover gets on Twitter.

Kupo!
Sep 14, 2009

Just follow me through this wall, I can show you things
no mortal eyes were meant
to see.

Blues seem bad? Bad losses to Stars and CBJ?

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
the blues might have had four regulars in their lineup tonight, i wouldn't worry about it

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Hinostroza thought he could casually sneak the puck around Crosby lol I’m glad this is a preseason game!

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Errey, in pre-season form just described someone as having a "big-rear end stick"
Love this guy

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

drat I really thought the Sabres wouldn’t give up too many goals, I suppose that’s what happens when you play your B squad against Crosby & co.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Rangers playing extremely stupid and bad hockey

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.

Levitate posted:

Rangers playing extremely stupid and bad hockey

You love to see it :getin:

Flocons de Jambon
Apr 11, 2015
Muzzin's skating is so stiff

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
lol that the Islanders stole the “play the super mushroom sound when your guy gets out of the box” move from Colorado

I actually think that’s a smart and fun thing to do, but find your own sound effect! The 1-up mushroom sound is RIGHT THERE

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

OldSenileGuy posted:

lol that the Islanders stole the “play the super mushroom sound when your guy gets out of the box” move from Colorado

I actually think that’s a smart and fun thing to do, but find your own sound effect! The 1-up mushroom sound is RIGHT THERE

The Kraken have the 8-bit sound with the Popeye theme jingle that took me the first couple times. It’s different enough, but it reminded me of the Avs using the Mario mushroom too.

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.
Which team does the Mario death jingle when someone on the opposing team takes a penalty? I wanna say the Devils but I'm not 100% sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Not Important posted:

Which team does the Mario death jingle when someone on the opposing team takes a penalty? I wanna say the Devils but I'm not 100% sure

avs do the opposite, mushroom power-up sound effect after a kill