Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Still find it funny that every character desperately wishes they could meet/find/serve/dissect a living human being, and none of them is aware that said last living human is just the weirdo who sells them junk out of his RV, including Emil himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Emil is my boy :kimchi:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Ok. Finally sitting down to finish out the cour. Random comments are in chronological order as I watch the episodes, so be ready for a stream of conciousness.

Ep. 8 (Rewatch): Big thing I missed on first watch was the static next to 9S's ear right as the lights start the flicker in the painting room. He was trapped in cyberspace as soon as that happened and way before he actually walked down the hallway with Adam hovering around him.

Ep. 9:
It seems extra creepy having Adam bust out the "Don't you wanna **** 2B" line. :stare:
Ok. The cathedral section of the Copied City....wasn't there a deleted area in the game where you went into the cathedral for more dialogue and/or a special encounter? Or am I confusing it with a fan-hack?
Linking it into the Nier Library instead of that reveal being later makes sense, especially as a backdrop to the Adam fight.
Compressing the alien reveal into it, eh? Huh.
AND the human reveal!? Goddamn. Wait. Then what's up with the Commander's overheard conversation with the Moon? I swear they were going for Humanity isn't actually extinct in this timeline since the Commander is supposed to know, anyway. Unless the "Moon" folks were the machines posing and the Commander doesn't know that yet?
What the gently caress?! Eve bites it this time? But he wasn't severed from the network, right?
That was a good episode.
I legit want half of those T-shirts. Particularly the mackerel one and the council of humanity one. :v:

Ep. 10:

Ok. I was concerned they were going try to make the cult less....culty? The pods straight whipping out their gatling guns when the machines start chant was hilarious. Also....I guess this implies they were part of Eve's portion of the network? (Or they just wanted to have a reason to not use the controversial phrase "Kami ni naru")
Kind of sad the So-Shi fight was so short. The wave of robots flooding up like they were going to Matrix squid rush 2B and just dive into the molten metal was an ok gag.
Doesn't seem to be much of a difference between how Adam is handling Eve's death and how Eve handled Adam's in the game. Or maybe that's the point?

Ep. 11:

Ah, yes. Nothing's better than playing classical music over a muted scene of slaughter and mayhem.
Ahhhh. They name dropped the carrier that get's demolished in the battle with Grün.
Uhhhhh.....Moon folks going for instrumentality, here? Sooooo, humanity is dead but their remaining data has an AI attached to it that wants to attain godhood?
Big generic hulk was boring, but understandable when they wanted to get the whole Resistance involved in the battle with Lily being a focus. The fight with the red units was sweet. I just wish it lasted more than 30 seconds. :(
Satellite laser cool. Time to see what the implications for that will be.
That reminds me. I should've pet my pods more in the game.

Ep. 12:

2B allowing 9S come along into the pit while missing his right hand seems out of character, honestly.
Yaaay. A2 shot.
The English version of Weight of the World is a good choice. Also....mid-episode credits. This should be interesting.
Ok. Just doing the Route B 9S resync process/reveals.
Hmmm. A No.9 call out. I'm guessing that little speech we heard while 9S was getting the secret files was No.9's recording/explanation for creating the back door into the bunker server.
Uhhhhhh...I'm 90% sure those quick screen flashes right before the end of the episode were different times 2B had to kill 9S. :stare:

Overall really good. I like the changes for the most part. Still need to wait for what kind of weird fallout emerges, but I think it was a good encapsulation of Routes A+B.

Biggest disappointment: When 2B finally got access to Virtuous Treaty, I was hoping for some dual wielding/combo action. Sadly, that never happened.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

It’s interesting they used the English version of Weight of the World instead of the Japanese but I’m not complaining. I wonder if the mid episode credits in the finale means they will be tackling the game’s multiple routes somehow after all (or at least finding some way to combine all 4 into a single story)

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Crazy thought I'm only bringing up because it'll look real good if I somehow made a called shot here...

One of the recurring things with the anime has been reversing who lives and who dies at a given point in the story. Lily instead of Anemone, Adam instead of Eve.

The ED has 2B rushing after a vanishing 9S.

And the last shot has a fight to the death between 2B and Nines.

What I'm wondering is if 2B's going to live a bit longer in the anime.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

AlternateNu posted:

Ep. 9:
Ok. The cathedral section of the Copied City....wasn't there a deleted area in the game where you went into the cathedral for more dialogue and/or a special encounter? Or am I confusing it with a fan-hack?

That was a fanhack that was posted on twitter pretending to be the discovery of deleted data - that in an early version of the game there was a hidden cathedral behind the Adam fight iirc. Yoko Taro and some other person involved with the actual game leaned into it instead of debunking it, so this is a deliberate wink towards it.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

This anime is definitely worthwhile "extra" material as a fan of the game, and that feels downplaying the material there is already.

I just wish we'll have a 2B or 9S doing the perfect time dodge because that sound makes my brain feel good things.

Parry or w/e probably has already been animated in the series though?

Edit: It feels funny that the series is animated with all the aesthetics of the game intact, warts and all. One negative I remember hearing from game reviews how monotonous the city ruins were. Like the fact the locales/buildings look the same/monotonous which was probably a budget reason originally. Anime says they were built by...androids or whatever working under the Council of Humanity to prepare for the return of Humanity, which kinda makes sense, no way any buildings would be left standing given the scale of time we're playing with. Is this a retcon though? I don't remember the game mentioning any of that.

Dessel fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Aug 3, 2023

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I don't remember if that was in the game itself but if not it was definitely in supplementary material that came out shortly afterward.

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022

Dessel posted:

This anime is definitely worthwhile "extra" material as a fan of the game, and that feels downplaying the material there is already.

I just wish we'll have a 2B or 9S doing the perfect time dodge because that sound makes my brain feel good things.

Parry or w/e probably has already been animated in the series though?

Edit: It feels funny that the series is animated with all the aesthetics of the game intact, warts and all. One negative I remember hearing from game reviews how monotonous the city ruins were. Like the fact the locales/buildings look the same/monotonous which was probably a budget reason originally. Anime says they were built by...androids or whatever working under the Council of Humanity to prepare for the return of Humanity, which kinda makes sense, no way any buildings would be left standing given the scale of time we're playing with. Is this a retcon though? I don't remember the game mentioning any of that.

From some talk show I found quoted on reddit:

As seen in Nier Gestalt & Replicant, buildings have been more or less destroyed completely. Fast forward into Automata, the Androids try to reconstruct the human world to prepare for the time when humans 'come back' from the Moon, but as they do so, the Machines keep destroying again and again. Since Androids don't know any better, they just try to reconstruct everything.

So, it's basically part of the never-ending cycle of war.

rkd_ fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Aug 5, 2023

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Still no word on Season 2 as far as I’m aware other than the fact it’s happening but the last few episodes of the dub finally got released a few days ago

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Second season to arrive... sometime, this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fUKep-1AXs&t=273s

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Here's to hoping this one has a more smooth production process.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Let's get to the good poo poo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

rkd_ posted:

From some talk show I found quoted on reddit:

As seen in Nier Gestalt & Replicant, buildings have been more or less destroyed completely. Fast forward into Automata, the Androids try to reconstruct the human world to prepare for the time when humans 'come back' from the Moon, but as they do so, the Machines keep destroying again and again. Since Androids don't know any better, they just try to reconstruct everything.

I'm not so sure about the first part of this, since you still see significant remnants like the big bridge that appears to have had a highway running over it (off the coast of the sea town), that big bridge thing in the plains, or the military factory (or the whole facility under Emil's house for that matter).

Granted there's a huge gap between that and Automata, but there was definitely still stuff around in the first Nier game.