Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022

Based on the popular videogame, this version is an adaptation of the same story but changed slightly to fit the format more closely.

Teaser
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PPQ5Cyntyo

Teaser + interviews
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4_xDVQm8MY

A small but cool detail, the teaser mostly mirrors the game's trailer when it was originally announced!
https://twitter.com/aitaikimochi/status/1573578609414938624
The anime features the same composer and same Japanese VA's as the videogame.

Release sometime in January!

I'm really excited about this, cannot wait to see the game come to life as an anime. Hopefully, this also means a new game announcement soon.

rkd_ fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Nov 29, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
A lot of Yoko Taro's tropes and conventions rely on the video game format so it'll be interesting to see how this works.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Assuming it's just an adaptation of Routes A/B, I'd say the video game is the better way to experience Nier Automata, but as long as the animation is competent, it should still be a fun story as a way to get people into the series.

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022
Yeah indeed, a lot of it does not really work if you are not the one driving the actions that lead to the emotional shock so it will be interesting to see how they manage to convey that same message. I am also guessing that perhaps the big reveal will be much sooner so we are more shocked at what the characters go through rather than what we've done.

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9p26isMDvuM

New trailer and cast.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Wonder if they'll try and keep the same cast in English as well. I know Japan likes to keep the same actors for the same roles but that doesn't always work out in English dubbing, depending on the company and Union contracts.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Depends on who grabs it, Netflix has been oddly accommodating in that regard, for instance, and other companies *can* make their shows union dubs with primarily non-union talent to keep Nines and Popola/Devola’s actors so really it depends on if Crunchyroll grabs the dubbing rights.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

they better make extensive use of the bangin soundtrack

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

A lot of Yoko Taro's tropes and conventions rely on the video game format so it'll be interesting to see how this works.

rkd_ posted:

Yeah indeed, a lot of it does not really work if you are not the one driving the actions that lead to the emotional shock so it will be interesting to see how they manage to convey that same message. I am also guessing that perhaps the big reveal will be much sooner so we are more shocked at what the characters go through rather than what we've done.

Considering that the prologue for the story was in the form of live theatre I wouldn't be too worried about a change in medium.

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022

Arbite posted:

Considering that the prologue for the story was in the form of live theatre I wouldn't be too worried about a change in medium.

Which is a tad frustrating to me because a good amount of the story is contained in different mediums and in a language I don't understand. But yeah, Yoko Taro has proven to make his storytelling work in different mediums for sure.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Last Celebration posted:

Depends on who grabs it, Netflix has been oddly accommodating in that regard, for instance, and other companies *can* make their shows union dubs with primarily non-union talent to keep Nines and Popola/Devola’s actors so really it depends on if Crunchyroll grabs the dubbing rights.

I'm almost imagining Crunchyroll snapping this license up as a middle finger to McCarley

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6PLzB3Ouuw

Cool trailer with a lot of video game moments. Releasing January 7, 2023, so about two more weeks!

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I know Taro is pretty involved in most Nier supplementary material, but is there any word on how involved he is with this project?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

AlternateNu posted:

I know Taro is pretty involved in most Nier supplementary material, but is there any word on how involved he is with this project?

He's listed as writer. So, uh, probably "very"

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

rkd_ posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6PLzB3Ouuw

Cool trailer with a lot of video game moments. Releasing January 7, 2023, so about two more weeks!

Where’d you get the 7th from? The trailer itself says January 1st

Also I assume that’s 2B’s Japanese VA from the games reprising her role here?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Larryb posted:

Where’d you get the 7th from? The trailer itself says January 1st

Also I assume that’s 2B’s Japanese VA from the games reprising her role here?

The 1 there is probably the month. The air date has been known to be the 7th/8th for a while.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Supremezero posted:

The 1 there is probably the month. The air date has been known to be the 7th/8th for a while.

Ah ok, I saw “2023.01/January START” pop up near the end and assumed that was the premiere date. Nevermind then

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Supremezero posted:

He's listed as writer. So, uh, probably "very"

Sweet. There’s already talk that one of the androids shown in the trailers is the main character of some of the side material. This is going to be such a lore clusterfuck. :getin:

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

pretty sure the plot design was "the android girl has a fat rear end" and everything else was supplementary

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Calling it right now that the ending will be entirely different.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Every episode should end on a different lettered ending from the game where they horribly die somehow, ala Aeon Flux anime.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I've seen on some news aggregation sites that Taro has said that they're making some adjustments to accomodate the story in an anime format rather than a video game, but if they don't have the random endings then they eat a poop

Happy Landfill posted:

I'm almost imagining Crunchyroll snapping this license up as a middle finger to McCarley

Also I think they have indeed done this and there's nothing about the old VA's reprising the role.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I've seen on some news aggregation sites that Taro has said that they're making some adjustments to accomodate the story in an anime format rather than a video game, but if they don't have the random endings then they eat a poop

Also I think they have indeed done this and there's nothing about the old VA's reprising the role.

I think the Japanese cast is back at least but I’m not sure about the dub (only one actor came back for the English version of the World Ends With You anime from a while back after all)

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Yeah, true, and thank A2 for that, because the Japanese voice cast are all exceptional. It's no personal loss to me to not have the original EN cast back if they're not, I'd never choose to experience this story with them but it's a huge loss if they aren't, given how loved the EN performance is.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
I really want this to be something cool and good but the TWEWY anime doesn't give me much hope!!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

goblin week posted:

I really want this to be something cool and good but the TWEWY anime doesn't give me much hope!!

Yeah, the TWEWY anime was super abridged and assuming this is a direct adaption of the game I’m sort of worried now that this show is going to follow the same fate (I also wouldn’t be surprised if they only wind up adapting the first ending route)

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It's nailed on to be just route A I reckon, and if it somehow does gangbusters, they might do the rest.

Big actual spoilers for the game, though trying to be as vague as possible:
What happens in the intro of C is really hard to reconcile with trying to sell an anime on the back of a beloved highly popular character like 2B.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also I’m not entirely sure how you could do the final ending in anime form

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
That's why there'll be differences :colbert:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Yeah, I wouldn't be too worried about the overall ending, the format allows a different kind of creativity than the game allows, it can't be 1:1, but it will allow them to think outside the box.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
As long as Weight of the World plays at the most opportune time, I'll be happy.

I'm pretty sure I have be programmed with a Pavlovian reaction to that song now.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Larryb posted:

Also I’m not entirely sure how you could do the final ending in anime form

Watching it deletes your Crunchyroll account.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Tamba posted:

Watching it reboots your computer/phone/tablet to factory settings

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Tamba posted:

:pray:

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Not even Yoko Taro is that powerful

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022
New trailer with opening and ending theme song snippets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlP8Bl_YCdw

On the crunchyroll page it says:

quote:

The series will premiere on January 7 with Crunchyroll set to stream the anime soon after.

I wonder how long after January 7 'soon after' means.

EDIT: From The Verge:

quote:

Correction December 15th, 2:07PM ET: Crunchyroll originally told The Verge that the show would begin streaming on January 7th, but after we published this story, said the show will instead premiere sometime in the month of January.

Kinda weird.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Maybe they hit a delay lol

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

struggling to find actors who will do it for £2.50 and a greggs

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Josuke Higashikata posted:

struggling to find actors who will do it for £2.50 and a greggs

Just get the people who did the Black Lion dub to handle it, they’ll do it for £2.00 I bet.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ghmzfUwJk4g

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022
I hope the subbed version will be on there January 7 at least.