Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Areola Grande

it's a free country u pervs
at first I thought I was looking at Europe until u said Toronto

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escape From Noise

After some thought I decided to go with the city I grew up in. I don't get much enjoyment from it outside of friends and family. I'll be writing up something today hopefully. Sorry for taking so long!

sb hermit

Moo Cowabunga posted:

I am enjoying this thread.

teen witch
My word is secret. I assume it’s time for a minor confessional.

My hometown is nebulous. I have different addresses, different passports, for places I call home. Hopefully, this doesn’t evoke images of espionage, false names and aliases, cloak-and-dagger activities, as I’m far from all of that (I am, however, pro-cloaks and pro-daggers).

Perhaps another secret.

My amorphous concept of home is in my blood. I too fulfilled my ancestral duty of shagging rear end out of one country into another. My father did it in the 70s, my sister started a few months ago, my mother’s side has documents, records, paperwork, of our predecessors shagging rear end for centuries. Trasatlanticism as tradition.

”teen witch, this is just immigration. you come from a family of immigrants. nothing special.”

the secret is out.
immigrants

let’s go back home. which one?

I have two passports, narrowing that down. One, from birth, the other, gained. I am eligible for a third, but would have to give up one of the other two, so sadly I’m to a passport binary. Luckily, borders are an illusion. For some, a delusion.

take the blue passport, and you will return to where I was born, raised, and where I call home. a quaint little shithole I know like the back of my hand. Long Island has secrets boiling over and spilling onto the stovetop.

if you take the red passport, you continue on the predestined journey. Secrets aren’t boiled here. they’re frozen, hidden in the woods, lurking in the water like näcken. A Swedish tiger, indeed.

I have recently visited my blue passport home. I grow older, and so much still remains. Some grow their roots deeper onto the island, others decay into her soil.

When I was younger, I knew, felt, sensed, that I could be neither of the two. I’m to merely drift in and out, like a breeze. Sometimes the breeze is long needed, a cool relief from sweltering heat. But, the breeze can encourage dry trees to shake and shimmy against one another, generating sparks. Starting a fire. Typically a small brushfire. Usually.

But now I am in the land of the red passport, my current primary, for the past six years, and perhaps indefinitely. I earned that passport, goddamnit.

The ground here is cold, compressed, tightly bound and impenetrable. This is simply Sweden. I have to adapt, but never assimilate. Laying roots here feels impossible, but I have learned there are other ways to emerge. I’ll climb the loving walls. Weave tendrils deep into the foundations, weakening it as I grow further on.

I’m lush green against frigid Falun Red, the snow, the rain, the desires of powerful men cannot stop me. I am Swedish whether they like it or not.

A careless, chilly breeze for hot, parched bodies on one end of the Atlantic. On the other end her depths, as a verdant spite elemental, lacing my vines across and above what I cannot penetrate. I think I’ve found home.

teen witch
tldr; my name is teen witch and I cannot write to a prompt to save my life

Non Krampus Mentis

Scrungus Bungus from the planet Grongous

teen witch posted:

tldr; my name is teen witch and when I write to a prompt it owns bones actually

Gruß vom Krampus

:love: thank u deep dish peat moss for the sig :love:

Ass-penny

I agree it was a good write up, even if I was too sleepy to actually read the articles you linked to

Stoner Sloth

My prompt was restore and, while i'm from Newcastle originally, Adelaide is certainly my home town. Or as we know it here :krad:delaide

I guess my first thought when old mate Chewbs gave me this prompt was that it's been awhile since I've been out and about given the whole pandemic thing that happened as well as dramas in my own life. Time for that to change and to restore my connection with the world a little bit!

Then I thought I bit more and decided on something a bit deeper... without going into personal sob stories, I had a difficult home situation when I was younger and I'd disappear into the wilds for many days at a time. Not only was it safe and hidden but I've always felt a connection to the Australian bushland, something about being out in nature is restorative to my soul and for want of a better term has a feeling of being deeply sacred.

And, given the pretty horrible, no good, very bad news that my friend got the day before, I wanted to lose myself in that for a little while.

So I decided to head to a national park that is close by to my house, I'd been there before many times when I was younger but it has been a few years.

But first I made a stop at my local bakery, they were a bit swamped so I didn't stick around to get pictures but I did get this spooky halloween lunch!

Like all bakeries in Australia this one is award winning, it also happens to actually be pretty good. My pasty and that scary reskinned vanilla slice finished, I headed on further into the park.

Belair is an interesting place - this park was founded in 1891, a full 10 years before Australia was federated into becoming a nation, and is the 10th oldest national park in the world, the 2nd oldest in Oz. It's about 900 square kilometers of grassy scrubland, a type of environment that is pretty threatened these days, and is made up of grassy areas and lots of red and blue gums and the rarer grey box gums mostly.

(this is where I stopped to eat)

There's been a lot of rain and a bit of sun of late so everything is flourishing, the last few years have been good to the bush lands here and there are wild flowers everywhere.

Belair is home to a lot of rare native orchids, here's some information about them and the creatures around that pollinate them.

As mentioned earlier there are plenty of trees here too

and not just gums, we have lovely wattles that are currently in bloom

as well as shady spots for a BBQ (they're coin operated)

I first walked the Lorikeet trail, it's a pretty easy one and only took about an hour and a half but goes past a few nice spots.

(looking through fallen tree at a creek)

and it does, in fact, have lorikeets!

and rosellas!

and magpies!

and... termites?

but this nest is damaged?

most likely the work of an echidna - I've seen plenty of them in the area over the year as they're not uncommon. They're pretty shy though, maybe I'll capture a picture of one another day to share with you.

Anyways, more magpies!

but what's this up in the tree?

looks like

a koala!

continuing on I saw this cool tree

it's a beautiful part of the country in my opinion

as I wandered further, a little ways off from the more beaten tracks with their noisier human visitors, I spotted

this kangaroo...

but it's not A kangaroo

it's TWO!

mum and her joey were cuddled up, kangaroos like to sleep mostly during the day apart from a little wander for food, water or shade - they're more active at night. After mum's big yawn she had a bit of a feed and was laying back down five minutes later.

Moving on... a duck!

a secret hideout!

a sulfur crested cockatoo!

and more ducks...

I must be getting close to water. And indeed sure enough

I came to this dam. It's an artificial one that was set up back in the 1870s to provide water for steam trains, you can still see part of the old pumping set up there. More importantly though there is a mural!

Disclaimer: I don't claim to be an authority on anything that follows, just someone who has tried to learn a bit. I apologize if anything below is inaccurate.

This was painted by some of the kids of the local aboriginal groups. Depicted are the Rainbow Serpent and a kangaroo - the latter has particular importance for the Peramangk people of the Mount Lofty ranges. They tell of how when their people first came to the area it was infested with evil spirits who would change people into animals and plants. The people were able to use magic and drive them down and trap them in the water holes that litter the landscape of the ranges but how for a long time after that certain animals and plants were taboo because they were people who had been changed.

One day a married couple were hungry and ate a kangaroo despite this and when she fell pregnant she gave birth to a kangaroo man called Pootpobberie. He had roo ears and furry arms and legs and was able to jump clear from one side of a valley to the other and he became the forefather of the Peramangk people.

Like the Kaurna (people of the adelaide plains), the Ngarrindjeri (people of the murray lands), and the Ngadjuri (people of the north including the Flinders ranges), many of them were removed from their homes and all suffered the theft of their lands. Some of them were able to stay and there has been an increasing trend for survivors of these unforgivable crimes to move back into the areas that they rightfully own. Still there is massive damage and the Peramangk people suffered badly, there has been some move for them to join with other tribes who fared some what better such as the Kaurna.

I can't claim to do the story of any of these people justice and encourage people to look further into it, they have an amazing history and are responsible for much of the ancient rock art in the surrounding Adelaide hills.

In any case perhaps there's some truth to the evil spirits of the water holes - in 1912 the body of the first curator of the Belair national park was found floating in this dam.

On a more positive note I saw a platypus in this dam! They're rare to spot and elusive but before i could get close to taking a photo this one vanished below the surface and I did not see it again.

In my own effort to do a little restoration, I found that nearby here someone had dumped some rubbish so for the next six kilometers until I found a bin to dump it I was carrying that too. Scratched the hell out of my arms on some invasive blackberry bushes grabbing it too but at least felt like I'd done something good :unsmith:

Moving on down the trail...

and coming out onto an open field, galahs!

and a fire track, as well as an old storage shed...

a little further on I encounter a big male roo

these are all eastern grey kangaroos, not big reds, but still this guy would be six and a half feet standing up to use the old measurements. Muscly as hell too but again just lazing about and didn't seem to fussed to have his photo taken so long as I kept a respectful distance.

deeper into the park now and well off from where most people get to - this part of it is closed from tomorrow on because of total fire bans. It won't open again until well after summer.

more termite nests

and slowly starting to wend my way back - by this stage I'd been out walking for about 8 hours in pretty rough country and while I was surprised that I was less unfit than I thought, my feet were starting to get a little sore.

and it wasn't long before I'd made a big loop and circled back to my car feeling less stressed about the world.

While much of this country has never really been built on, as mentioned this park started as basically rail road property and has grown - the land being slowly restored with volunteer effort. There is still a lot of work to be done and challenges but it's pretty amazing to have this great natural spot so close to where I live. I plan to make a return trip soon that I will post about, next time I will go the other way and look at the water falls!

Thanks for making this thread Chewbs and I hope you all enjoyed my trip to restore my connection to this place. Sorry for my often shoddy photography but dang I had fun making this trip :shobon:

BONUS SECRET PICS

the week before we had a bonfire in the scrub at back of a friends house

and this seems a fitting end cap and a good time to wish all my orbs the most hallowed of weens!

Stoner Sloth fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Oct 31, 2022

sb hermit

sb hermit

Stoner Sloth posted:

a koala!

a little further on I encounter a big male roo

these are all eastern grey kangaroos, not big reds, but still this guy would be six and a half feet standing up to use the old measurements. Muscly as hell too but again just lazing about and didn't seem to fussed to have his photo taken so long as I kept a respectful distance.

What incredible pictures. Thanks for sharing! I never get to see any wildlife on any of the hikes I get to do in my area.

Once, I traveled to a particularly remote place for a 3 day hike and I saw one deer and that was it.

sb hermit

Although if you hang out in particularly touristy spots, you may see marmots come and beg for food or break into your backpack

Ass-penny

:wow: SS, that's quite the hometown adventure! thanks for sharing it with us, and picking up rubbish!

Moo Cowabunga

[Office Worker.

I agree, SS thoroughly enjoyable read and very happy you have an award winning bakery experience. Magpies aren’t usually my favourite birds as they can get a bit pecky with me in my experience, but I’m super pleased that they were chill for the photoshoot

Platinum User Pot Smoke Phoenix!

VANISHER

HEATHER PAPPS

https://giant.gfycat.com/WellgroomedImperfectHaddock.webm the vanisher

Ohtori Akio
I just thought of the best place to visit for this but you're gonna have to wait an entire extra week for me to get the right pictures.

Australian trees and animals rule.

baka of lathspell

ss that post was rad as hell

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

w4ddl3d33

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD
my prompt was 'glass', i work in sex shops so the only glass i am surrounded with is too nsfw for me to in good conscience post in byob, so i've decided to share with you this thing, drawn on a bathroom wall in tottenham, london

Escape From Noise

Sorry. I keep getting ideas then scrapping them.

Chewbecca

Just chillin' : )

w4ddl3d33 posted:

my prompt was 'glass', i work in sex shops so the only glass i am surrounded with is too nsfw for me to in good conscience post in byob, so i've decided to share with you this thing, drawn on a bathroom wall in tottenham, london

Love it! Remember also that spoiler tags are your best friend :viggo:

Thanks to Heather Papps for sweet sig, click for more hot lady action

sigs by luvcow and Khanstant.
Click on Spoonville for a neat surprise

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

Ass-penny

w4ddl3d33 posted:

lmao someone just posted goatse in an attempt to get banned and the mods didn't ban them. post whatever you want.

this is a good graffiti tho.

Saoshyant

:hmmorks: :orks:

Hello. My prompt was "colorful". Being Autumn here has basically meant no sunshine and not the best conditions to get pretty colors out of anything. My hometown is called Cacém in Portugal. It's composed by four parishes that together form the fourth largest city in this small country.

I have tried on two different weekends to get decent photos whenever a bit of sun would get through. In one the entrances to the place there are these repurposed maintenance facilities that have been painted with welcoming messages:

Opposite to them is the road outside, one to the capital Lisbon and the other to Sintra, a rather touristic place.

You can actually see at the distance the Serra de Sintra (Sintra Mountain range) where an old palace stands, the Palácio da Pena

You can barely see the palace in the distance, but for a reference image there's conveniently a painting of the thing right in this photo.

Nearby this area there's a small park where I take my puppy for walks on occasion (you can see her, the little white fluffy thing on the right)

There's some exercise equipment spread around this park:

The pinkish-reddish road is actually here to mark a bike track, but mostly it's just people who walk through it.

Moving around a bit you can see a children's school near this area. It used to be painted in bright yellow, but it's since lost most of its color:

There's also apartment buildings everywhere which I have made an effort to avoid capturing in the camera, but a small block here usually has some pretty flowers planted. Sadly, the only thing left currently are those orange flowers, though:

Moving further up, you'll eventually reach the largest catholic church in the city:

And that's it! Hope you got a colorful impression of my hometown. I was planning to go the larger park (there's a small river stream there with ducks) and the train station, but maybe some other time.

Moo Cowabunga

[Office Worker.

I love it

VANISHER

HEATHER PAPPS

Moo Cowabunga

[Office Worker.

I love all of it. even the dildos behind the glass that I am being made to imagine

VANISHER

HEATHER PAPPS

sb hermit

Moo Cowabunga posted:

I love all of it. even the dildos behind the glass that I am being made to imagine

Ohtori Akio
Cacém looks lovely. I adore pastel buildings.

Ohtori Akio
Re: glass dildos: yeah moderation is very relaxed here. The SA culture of not oversharing sex stuff is something I personally appreciate a lot, and I imagine it is still in place here in BYOB, but I think it's possible to mention or post pictures of the circumstances of a job at a sex shop without the kind of oversharing that makes people so instantly suspicious.

Stoner Sloth

Moo Cowabunga posted:

rotating several dicks in my mind at once, behind the glass

Ohtori Akio posted:

Re: glass dildos: yeah moderation is very relaxed here. The SA culture of not oversharing sex stuff is something I personally appreciate a lot, and I imagine it is still in place here in BYOB, but I think it's possible to mention or post pictures of the circumstances of a job at a sex shop without the kind of oversharing that makes people so instantly suspicious.

i think we're generally okay with adult/dick jokes, but it's not a place to be horny?

Escape From Noise

Stoner Sloth posted:

i think we're generally okay with adult/dick jokes, but it's not a place to be horny?

[Taps thread]

more falafel please

forums poster

yeah I think it's entirely possible to talk about dildos and even make jokes about dildos without hornyposting, especially with the experience working in a sex shop. it's not like you get horny with customers

thanks Saoshyant and nesamdoom for the sigs!

Ohtori Akio
Horny is prohibited in all threads - not just that one.

Finger Prince

Stoner Sloth

bumping this thread cause it's cool :unsmith:

sb hermit

:same:

has anyone gotten two or more quests yet?

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE

Ok this seems fun, hit me

Chewbecca

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

Ok this seems fun, hit me

Your hometown adventure prompt is "faded"

Chewbecca

sb hermit posted:

:same:

has anyone gotten two or more quests yet?

Is this a request? I fulfil any and all requests

Escape From Noise

I'm so sorry! I'll do this I swear! I'm having a hard time with it and keep putting it off.

sb hermit

Chewbecca posted:

Is this a request? I fulfil any and all requests

:hai:

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE

Chewbecca posted:

Your hometown adventure prompt is "faded"

:hmmyes:

Dukes Mayo Clinic

Chewbecca posted:

Your prompt is "secret"

This is not the adventure, but it is where the adventure begins. Updates will be slow; it’s cold out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit

Dukes Mayo Clinic posted:

This is not the adventure, but it is where the adventure begins. Updates will be slow; it’s cold out.

:ohdearsass: stay warm!