Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chewbecca

Just chillin' : )
Post itt and I will assign you a hometown adventure. A hometown adventure might be a keyword or a specific request, with the expectation you will venture out into your community to find something to share with BYOB about your hometown or state.

Rules:

Do not to share your exact location. City or state/province + country is enough!

Don't doxx yourself or others

You will need to post a photo you have taken, art you have made, or images from the internet, with a couple of accompanying lines so we understand what we are looking at.

You can take a prompt literally or you can approach it laterally - whatever you want!

Thanks to Heather Papps for sweet sig, click for more hot lady action

sigs by luvcow and Khanstant.
Click on Spoonville for a neat surprise

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit

itt

Chewbecca

Your adventure prompt is "markets"

Moo Cowabunga

[Office Worker.

itt

Platinum User Pot Smoke Phoenix!

VANISHER

HEATHER PAPPS

https://giant.gfycat.com/WellgroomedImperfectHaddock.webm the vanisher

Chewbecca

Your hometown adventure prompt is "elevated"

Moo Cowabunga

[Office Worker.

I don’t really have a home town, more of a patch of scrub in the middle of nowhere

but the leprechauns up there sure do like it around here

the trees grow tall

the fields are barren and brown

and it is powered by pure, natural, healthy, and reliable wind :gurf:

I wouldn’t have it any other way.

never change REDACTED. you are my non hometown hometown, elevated in my heart.

VANISHER

HEATHER PAPPS

w4ddl3d33

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD
i'm poastin itt

Chewbecca

w4ddl3d33 posted:

i'm poastin itt

My friend your prompt is "glass"

Escape From Noise

:justpost:

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag
sign me up pls

thanks deep dish pete moss and Plant MONSTER

Manifisto

itt!

ty nesamdoom!

Ass-penny

I'm game

Chewbecca

Your prompt is "enjoyment"

Chewbecca

Dr. Honked posted:

sign me up pls

Hmm, for you the prompt is "biggest"

Chewbecca

For mani the prompt is "growth"

Chewbecca

For you, the prompt is "shiny"

Heather Papps

hello friend

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

Chewbecca

Your prompt is "tradition"

Heather Papps

hello friend

Chewbecca posted:

Your prompt is "tradition"

:haibrow:

when the sun returns i will adventure

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

Stoner Sloth

sign me up old mate!

Chewbecca

Stoner Sloth posted:

sign me up old mate!

Your prompt is "restore"

Escape From Noise

Chewbecca posted:

Your prompt is "enjoyment"

I'll be back home on Monday. So I should be able to do something by the end of the week or this weekend.

Stoner Sloth

Chewbecca posted:

Your prompt is "restore"

:peanut: thanks Chewbs! i'll do my best to bring you a worthwhile radelaide adventure!

Areola Grande

it's a free country u pervs
poasting ITT :)

spring sigs by nesamdoom and Ravenous Scoot

Chewbecca

Areola Grande posted:

poasting ITT :)

Your prompt is "movement"

Ohtori Akio
itt

Chewbecca

Your prompt is "illuminate"

Ohtori Akio

Chewbecca posted:

Your prompt is "illuminate"

Hell yeah.

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae
You can't trick me into posting

ArcMage

What is this thread?

Let's have one

Chewbecca

Viginti Septem posted:

You can't trick me into posting

Your prompt is "under"

Chewbecca

ArcMage posted:

Let's have one

Your adventure prompt is "water"

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae

Chewbecca posted:

Your prompt is "under"

Kansas City underground. I've been exploring some of the West Bottoms lately. The West Bottoms were the original Kansas City, founded in 1860s, the first railroads ran through here. Rail and other industry thrived in the flatlands at the confluence of the Kansas and Missouri rivers. In the great flood of 1903, most of the homes were wiped away and business struggled to return for years. Many of the industry workers (European migrants, Ukrainian, Slovak, etc) took what wood they could and moved up the hills to the West and founded Strawberry Hill, a tiny town at the eastern edge of Kansas City, Kansas made famous for the tiny homes and tiny businesses that were built from the limited supplies they could muster after the flood.

Despite this set back, business soon reemerged in the West Bottoms and progressed into a lively stock yards industry. The American Royal show started in 1905 in a tent, with Hereford and Horse shows. Industry soon boomed again until the great flood of 1951. After this flood residents just moved on and never returned. This killed the tax base and the West Bottoms never returned.

All original building still remain from the 1800s-1900s. These building were picked over by time and by looters and transients. Somewhere around 1990 the area saw a renaissance with small shops, antiques, arts, and haunted houses moving in to claim the cheap property. One of the neatest things about this new growth is that most of the "destroyed" nature of the building has been kept to preserve the Historic qualities. Many of the building are still missing windows, graffiti, but all of this has started to be renovated within the past ten years or so. Sadly, some corporate gentrification has come to sweep up the building and turn them into expensive Sodosopa lofts for the yuppies but there is also a thriving underground art community of poor youths that are doing their best to keep the historic nature of the Bottoms in tact.

The coolest thing about the West Bottoms is that trains still run through here. The Union Pacific lines cross at many of the intersections, just feet from the shops and you're constantly blasted with train horns while you shop.

On the Missouri side the 12th Street Viaduct connected the new, shiny Kansas City, Missouri on the hill (the KC of today) to the West bottoms. This is a beautiful multi-decker bridge that drops from the heights of Kansas City to the lows of the West Bottoms. I'll get pics of this posted sometime. On the Kansas side of the West Bottoms there's less growth, a few specialty shops like car painting, some brewers, antiques, etc. But most of it is still very run down. From Interstate 70 a road called Central Ave crosses the Kansas river and drops into the West Bottoms. The Central Avenue bridge was developed in 1918 and was a main thoroughfare from Kansas City, Kansas to Kansas City, Missouri.

I'm specifically drawn to the Central Avenue bridge for some reason, and I spend many days dropping by for photos. I've found a vibrant graffiti community exists around this bridge and there's tons of neat stories being told on the trusses of the bridge (now closed on the bottom porition). Yesterday I ventured across the Central Avenue bridge and found a mecca of graffiti on the abandoned side. I don't have all the photos edited yet.

Underside of the Central Avenue Bridge

Same, but at night

Most of the graffiti seems to be positive in nature. The messages that are negative have mostly all been covered up. There seems to be a lot of comradery in the tagging. I'll get more pics up soon.

Under the bridge, looking towards Kansas City, Missouri.

This building is a metal smithing facility that allows kids to come and tag to keep them from getting in trouble elsewhere. The owner lives there and seems to keep a close eye on goings on. He seems to let kids bring bikes and cars and tear up the intersection with donuts on the weekend. They shut down the intersect in a Fast and Furious style lol, it's nuts.

Some of the graffiti on the abandoned side of the bridge. I was mainly shooting film yesterday for class, ran through a 36-roll and then realized I had never loaded film in the camera. :o So I only have a few digital pics.

Underside of I-70.

Union Pacific train running through West Bottoms. There's a hobbyist train store on the right called Doc's Caboose

Viginti Septem fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Oct 16, 2022

https://i.imgur.com/9jTkSUL.mp4
Thanks to vanisher for the paradise sig! :)

Chewbecca

:nice: hometown adventure pics Viginti Septem and Moo Cowabunga! :hfive:

Ass-penny

it took a lil minute to grapple with shiny. for the first while I thought a lot about cars that I passed and the way a silvery electrical box glows under a street, but I don't think that is what this was supposed to be about. it took me an embarrassing amount of time to remember that Minneapolis is the city of shiny art museums, two of them.

not my photo but this is the Weisman Art Museum, by the world famous Frank Gehry. they house a massive painting of a massive chicken farm by Doug Argue, and an installation piece that is a hallway in a derelict apartment building by Edward and Nancy Reddin Kienholz. "Pedicord Apts. is part brutal realism and part fun house."

also not my photo, this is the Walker Art Center, home to what is maybe Minnesota's best known piece of art, the Oldenburg's Spoonbridge and Cherry.

however I'm not a Minneapolis guy, closer to home I bring you lake Phalen

one of St. Paul's larger lakes, and the closest to me. it's maybe a 10-5 minute walk from where I live, and the walk the circumference it's just under three miles.

wow this picture turned out BAD. It's the state capital building. the gold... thing at the top of the dome is a beacon, or it would be if it were built where the cathedral is, which has substantially better lines of sight through the area. actually I took that picture of the capital from right next to the cathedral. here's one of it's rose windows.

I couldn't be in this neighborhood without stopping to look at this bougie hotel

this used to be a school for artists. it's weird to see it now.

and lol at this skelly that got added to this eagle sculpture just another few blocks down the same street.

Ass-penny

also wanted to say CS and MC both had great photo adventures!

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae

Moo Cowabunga posted:

I don’t really have a home town, more of a patch of scrub in the middle of nowhere

but the leprechauns up there sure do like it around here

the trees grow tall

the fields are barren and brown

and it is powered by pure, natural, healthy, and reliable wind :gurf:

I wouldn’t have it any other way.

never change REDACTED. you are my non hometown hometown, elevated in my heart.

I love this! I feel like I could get lost there for days. Congrats on the clean energy, I hope more follow in suit.

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae

rear end-penny posted:

it took a lil minute to grapple with shiny. for the first while I thought a lot about cars that I passed and the way a silvery electrical box glows under a street, but I don't think that is what this was supposed to be about. it took me an embarrassing amount of time to remember that Minneapolis is the city of shiny art museums, two of them.

not my photo but this is the Weisman Art Museum, by the world famous Frank Gehry. they house a massive painting of a massive chicken farm by Doug Argue, and an installation piece that is a hallway in a derelict apartment building by Edward and Nancy Reddin Kienholz. "Pedicord Apts. is part brutal realism and part fun house."

also not my photo, this is the Walker Art Center, home to what is maybe Minnesota's best known piece of art, the Oldenburg's Spoonbridge and Cherry.

however I'm not a Minneapolis guy, closer to home I bring you lake Phalen

one of St. Paul's larger lakes, and the closest to me. it's maybe a 10-5 minute walk from where I live, and the walk the circumference it's just under three miles.

wow this picture turned out BAD. It's the state capital building. the gold... thing at the top of the dome is a beacon, or it would be if it were built where the cathedral is, which has substantially better lines of sight through the area. actually I took that picture of the capital from right next to the cathedral. here's one of it's rose windows.

I couldn't be in this neighborhood without stopping to look at this bougie hotel

this used to be a school for artists. it's weird to see it now.

and lol at this skelly that got added to this eagle sculpture just another few blocks down the same street.

Great job linking those shiny museums. I would love to see a photo adventure through them sometime, or a day trip adventure around that lake. Superb exploring :D

Moo Cowabunga

[Office Worker.

I went for stroll around the property with my dad as the sun decided to show up. timely as the weather has contributed to glum feels.

we walked up high - elevated you might say

and then looked over the valley

we checked the water pump

and then had a quick dip in the swimming hole

and now I am back in posting range. a good dad day.

VANISHER

HEATHER PAPPS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince

I don't think I'll ever be back to my hometown as in the place I grew up. I'm somewhat nomadic so I don't really have a home or a town, just a place where I live at the moment. However I'm happy to take pictures of something in that place in order to fulfil a vague mandate itt.