Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Eight-Six posted:

texas public school, so.........

Maybe in our case it was kosher? Hopefully I don't sound like an rear end in a top hat saying that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
Our dinner ladies would occasionally bring leftover roast potatoes out to the playground, ring a bell and we'd all stop playing football or whatever and run over and queue for the roasties, they were always super crispy and salty, delicious. Very satisfying impact when thrown at someone's head too.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

pizza and chikin fryz

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Anne Whateley posted:

I realize reminiscing about white rice is ludicrous, but I don't know what they seasoned it with that was just amazing. Forever chasing that dragon

Sometimes a simple meal of white rice with butter, salt, and pepper (or soy sauce) is good for what ails ye.

Dogmeat
Jun 20, 2003

Woof!

Pimpcasso posted:

Rectangle pizza was the GOAT

it's great, but the hexagonal mexican pizza (apparently called a 'fiestada' now) easily clears the rectangle

Manto
Aug 27, 2003
Rawrr!
Fridays' lunches were hamburgers, fries, and chocolate milk at lunch. Pancakes were served for breakfast. They would let you come back for seconds on the pancakes after the clock hit a certain time.

Milk came in little cartoons. The carton usually had a cartoon dog printed on it with safety tips like using the buddy system. Your choices were Red, Blue, or Green(buttermilk). Everyone picked Red. Nobody ever got Green, so I don't know why it was offered. At breakfast we got little foam cups of juice as well. The grape juice was the best. They served the good stuff, so it wasn't in the rotation as often as apple and orange.

I liked the grill cheese/veggie soup days. The sandwiches were real crispy from being cooked on a sheet pan in the oven. Dunking the sandwich into the soup to soften it was a futile effort. The soup was tomato broth, ground beef, mixed veg; and it was sometimes called hobo stew. There was a girl that didn't like the soup, so we would trade my sandwich for her soup if we were sat near each other.

I didn't care for lasagna or spaghetti, but it came with a slice of garlic bread. It was great to gnaw on. Crisp, crunchy, and chewy! The rolls were also great, especially with mashed potatoes and gravy. The rectangle pizza was ok. It came either with ground meat or cubed pepperoni like a Totino's. Dessert was usually good. A cookie, square of cake, or at worst canned fruit.

I hated Sloppy Joe day because of the smell, and I always seemed to get a piece gristle. I liked the steak fingers until a kid spit on my tray in first grade. Grossed me out after that. Even though we were just dumb kids, gently caress YOU FOREVER, BERNARDO!!!

The other meal I still think about sometimes was another breakfast item. It was sometimes called cowboy bread. It was super dense, dark, chewy, and a little sticky. The stickiness may have been from syrup that usually accompanied it. It was more like a cake or brownie really. It was spiced with maybe some mix of cinnamon, clove, or nutmeg. It probably had molasses in it.

Epic Mount
Jun 18, 2007

Ez8 posted:

I would just live off candy bars and bags of nacho chips mooched off other kids.

I just sit around all sweaty and lethargic.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

It was every Thursday's lunch for me. It was always mashed potatoes, green beans, roll and fruit or cobbler along with one of the following main items:

• country fried steak
  • Salisbury steak
  • Chicken and noodles

cinnamon rollout
Jun 12, 2001

The early bird gets the worm
Worst was a tofu hotdog (a notdog), I tried to enjoy it, but the texture was so wrong, I can still remember the texture and how I couldn't get through even one of them.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
the school i work at went with "free lunch for all" last year but all anyone got was chicken nuggets, really wet spaghetti, or a salad. Kids complained a lot

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
my mom always sent me in with a sandwich, a plastic bag of chips, a small orange or grapes & generally SSIP's boxed iced tea. same lunch for 40 years now. everyday

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

kntfkr posted:

my mom always sent me in with a sandwich, a plastic bag of chips, a small orange or grapes & generally SSIP's boxed iced tea. same lunch for 40 years now. everyday

Omg SSSIPS

I’m gonna be disappointed if I try it now aren’t I?

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I haven't seen SSIP's in forever.

There's a change.org petition for them to use their original formula

https://www.change.org/p/johanna-foods-bring-back-original-ssips-lemon-iced-tea?redirect=false

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Haschel Cedricson posted:

I don't remember the worst, but the best was definitely turkey gravy day. They removed it from the menu when I was in third grade for some reason, and I actually wrote a letter to the superintendent demanding they bring it back. Not only did the letter work, it also got a shout-out a decade later in one of the speeches a school board member made at our high school graduation.

This is the cutest drat thing and I'm glad you kids got your turkey gravy back.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
We had cooks who would hand make tasty breadsticks for the entire school maybe 3 or 4 times a year. They showed up at like 4AM to make it all happen. Even as kids, everyone knew that breadstick day was a hell of a good day.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Usually once every two weeks we’d have fried catfish nuggets in one of my elementary schools, and I loved those goddamn things. This was in a slightly affluent Michigan district in the mid-90s, and I never saw them served outside of it.

Skratte
Nov 11, 2010

the holy poopacy posted:

Everyone's favorite was these taquitos they'd make although technically I think they might have been flautas because they used big flour tortillas. The filling was standard lovely gringo taco mix but they were both crunchy and greasy so they had a certain appeal that most of the cafeteria food lacked.

There were a lot of worsts but I think the tuna casserole was rock bottom, thankfully they didn't bring it out very often.

We had those taquito things, they were called crispitos. That day or chicken fried steak day were the best.

Worst days usually involved fish. But I also found a water bug inside a tater tot once in elementary school and now I still don't like them.

In schools in the south in the 1980s they served buttermilk next to the 2% and the chocolate milk cartons but kids would only drink it on dares.

The Clitoris
Jan 29, 2020

Finding it makes all of your dreams come true
Rectangular pizza and fried chicken sandwich were the best. I can't remember any of the ones I really hated though

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

bump

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I remember in elementary school (early 90's) they gave us knock-off McRib sandwiches. No one liked them. The trash can was overflowing with them. Every one had a single bite taken out of them. That was the only time they served those.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

This lunch was both, and it was mini cheeseburgers / generic white castle basically. Came 2 to a sleeve and people hated them

Not me tho, which was great since I used to get as many as I wanted

One time I had like 20 then went to baseball game in the city and had a ton of hot dogs there and my farts were so bad on the train after the game people kept like a 10 foot distance from me

Which is really impressive on the green line in Boston @ Fenway after a game

It was rather nice, I was the only person on the entire train with space to stretch

E: one of my friends that was there says he remembered somebody gagging from the smell but I don't. I wouldn't doubt it though. It was easily the worst smelling and most potent gas I've ever had. Could taste it in the air

Miserable Maid
Apr 22, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Manto posted:

Fridays' lunches were hamburgers, fries, and chocolate milk at lunch. Pancakes were served for breakfast. They would let you come back for seconds on the pancakes after the clock hit a certain time.

Milk came in little cartoons. The carton usually had a cartoon dog printed on it with safety tips like using the buddy system. Your choices were Red, Blue, or Green(buttermilk). Everyone picked Red. Nobody ever got Green, so I don't know why it was offered. At breakfast we got little foam cups of juice as well. The grape juice was the best. They served the good stuff, so it wasn't in the rotation as often as apple and orange.

I liked the grill cheese/veggie soup days. The sandwiches were real crispy from being cooked on a sheet pan in the oven. Dunking the sandwich into the soup to soften it was a futile effort. The soup was tomato broth, ground beef, mixed veg; and it was sometimes called hobo stew. There was a girl that didn't like the soup, so we would trade my sandwich for her soup if we were sat near each other.

I didn't care for lasagna or spaghetti, but it came with a slice of garlic bread. It was great to gnaw on. Crisp, crunchy, and chewy! The rolls were also great, especially with mashed potatoes and gravy. The rectangle pizza was ok. It came either with ground meat or cubed pepperoni like a Totino's. Dessert was usually good. A cookie, square of cake, or at worst canned fruit.

I hated Sloppy Joe day because of the smell, and I always seemed to get a piece gristle. I liked the steak fingers until a kid spit on my tray in first grade. Grossed me out after that. Even though we were just dumb kids, gently caress YOU FOREVER, BERNARDO!!!

The other meal I still think about sometimes was another breakfast item. It was sometimes called cowboy bread. It was super dense, dark, chewy, and a little sticky. The stickiness may have been from syrup that usually accompanied it. It was more like a cake or brownie really. It was spiced with maybe some mix of cinnamon, clove, or nutmeg. It probably had molasses in it.

.....You're a really good writer, this made me nostalgic for something I wasn't even there for

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Worf posted:

This lunch was both, and it was mini cheeseburgers / generic white castle basically. Came 2 to a sleeve and people hated them

Not me tho, which was great since I used to get as many as I wanted

One time I had like 20 then went to baseball game in the city and had a ton of hot dogs there and my farts were so bad on the train after the game people kept like a 10 foot distance from me

Which is really impressive on the green line in Boston @ Fenway after a game

It was rather nice, I was the only person on the entire train with space to stretch

E: one of my friends that was there says he remembered somebody gagging from the smell but I don't. I wouldn't doubt it though. It was easily the worst smelling and most potent gas I've ever had. Could taste it in the air

I love ripping disgusting farts lol

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

pencilhands posted:

I love ripping disgusting farts lol

RapturesoftheDeep
Jan 6, 2013
Best was grilled ham and cheese. It blew my mind that you could put stuff other than cheese in grilled cheese and that is still one of my favorite meals. Second was these things they made called "veggie sticks" that were basically Veg-All that was batter-dipped and fried. They weren't around long because all the other kids hated it.

Worst was thick processed turkey and canned gravy on soggy white bread. Also the weird off-tasting vanilla pudding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bodhidharma
Jul 2, 2011

"virgin no more! virgin no more!" i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into a corn cob
I was diagnosed with celiac disease when I was 12, so the only thing that I could eat at my school for like 90 percent of my lunches was ice cream.