Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

No a la carte stuff, just the standard meal of the day.

My favorite I think was when we got chicken nuggets for an entree.

The absolute worst was this combo of a dry, chalky bread roll with congealed gravy, peas, and a gross processed piece of ham. I have no idea what meal they were even going for there, I always dreaded it so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

One time my school served us some gross looking broccoli and cheese that nobody would touch. Eventually one of the lunch aides said they'd give the first kid to try it $5. A girl in my class loudly volunteered. She took a bite and immediately projectile vomited across the table

Tommah
Mar 29, 2003

some kid i ate lunch with didnt like school pizza so he gave it to me every time we had it

now im fat

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

Spicy chicken sandwiches were easily the best and I can't remember anyone opting for the plain version. The worst had to of been the meatloaf. I'm not a fan of meatloaf in the best of circumstances but the school lunch grade meatloaf was truly revolting.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Everyone's favorite was these taquitos they'd make although technically I think they might have been flautas because they used big flour tortillas. The filling was standard lovely gringo taco mix but they were both crunchy and greasy so they had a certain appeal that most of the cafeteria food lacked.

There were a lot of worsts but I think the tuna casserole was rock bottom, thankfully they didn't bring it out very often.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I moved from Australia when I was 8, where everyone brought sandwiches to school, to America and people were eating fried chicken and corn dogs and other disgusting fried things from the cafeteria every day, its no wonder everyone was so much fatter.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
It's missing the gross rear end green beans but this picture was pretty much my elementary school lunch. And yes that's a milk bag. U poke a straw into it to drink it.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Preoptopus posted:

It's missing the gross rear end green beans but this picture was pretty much my elementary school lunch.

Cant remember if we ever got tots and a burger together but that sounds good

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver
We had an island in the middle of the cafeteria in elementary school where you could go up and they'd just give you a slice of bread with peanut butter on it. Either nut allergies weren't a thing in the early 90s or the nut lepers were left to fend for themselves. The lady working the station would score a little heart into the middle with the butter knife, it was nice.

There was also one random day when like 2 classrooms were crowded together into one room and two people unaffiliated with the school presented a slideshow of diseased and putrified cow organs and stuff, no explanation and no warning that it was going to happen. And afterward it was never brought up again. We just sat in stunned silence while they went through the pictures and described them.

There, I hope I managed to not answer the question.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

In elementary school I was the weird kid who loved greens and veggies, so I would always get all my friendss lima beans and peas & carrots and poo poo like that. loving LOVE me some lima beans and peas & carrots still.

My favorite item in elementary school was lil smokies with ranch beans. Mini smoked sausages? Yes, please! In high school, the cafeteria had both grilled and fried chicken sandwiches with Swiss cheese that were ravenously delicious. I think they made them with crack. I used to eat like three of them at a time since I had that teen metabolism and could. Their crinkle-cut French fries also paired nicely with the sandwiches.

The worst meal was probably those rectangular pizzas in elementary school. I know a lot of people have a fondness for those things, but they really were terrible. 98% hardtack dough, nasty cheese product that had a dual viscosity of being burned hard as a rock and slick like snot, and one, maybe two pepperonis on it if youre lucky. Just inedible trash.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
Friday, best and worst choices in one day. Options were chicken curry and Irish stew. The curry was just a bog-standard, yellow Chinese curry over badly boiled rice, but this was 90s Northern Ireland and a bog standard Chinese chicken curry for school dinner was an absolute flavour sensation. Felt like having a takeaway at school, poo poo was unreal.

Then there was the stew, it was probably decent but I'm forever haunted by the absolute horror of seeing the younger kids mix theirs up with ketchup, until it was a weird plateful of vegetables brown until brown and mushy, with an odd gorey vibe thanks to too much red sauce :barf:

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Swallowed a fly that one time.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
I don't remember any school lunches from 40 years ago, OP, how in the world do you remember that stuff

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Those weird taco boats did anyone ever have those? They were like taco meat in a tortilla shaped like a boat.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
The burgers that were 50% lovely beef and 50% soybean, I still crave them every so often

I worked as a lunch lady in my 20s (so I was the youngest employee by like 30yrs) and it kinda owned, it's a super brainless job and the kids will give you drawings sometimes plus I could have as many bean burritos as I wanted on taco day since the kids hated refried beans

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I like my elementary schools "Chili, Chips, and Cheese"

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
My headmaster was actually fired for taking money from the school budget part that was meant to feed us.
His wife was head cook so got away with it for a long time.
Only things I remember was the 'gravy' that turned to rubber within minutes.
And mashed potatoes with hard grey lumps in them

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
:worship:

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
The best was probably a frozen chicken patty because I don't know how you screw that up.
I started skipping lunch in 6th grade because the food was so bad and as a result, I still skip lunch today. Lotta flies in things and watery curries.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
Turkey gravy and mashed potato day was the best

i loving hated the walking taco bullshit of putting that baby poop ground chuck into an emptied frito bag. jesus loving christ

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
My middle school and high school shared a cafeteria and it wasnt awful.

The real horror was the separate elementary cafeteria. I remember one day my mom picked me up early for a doctors appointment or something and as were walking through the school she says Oh my GOD, what is that SMELL?

Its pizza day.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
Lol our school district got pizza from dominos. Extra cheese and exactly four pepperonis per slice

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

Rectangle pizza was the GOAT

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

I don't remember the worst, but the best was definitely turkey gravy day. They removed it from the menu when I was in third grade for some reason, and I actually wrote a letter to the superintendent demanding they bring it back. Not only did the letter work, it also got a shout-out a decade later in one of the speeches a school board member made at our high school graduation.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Best was kindergarten. Cheese sandwiches with margarine. It was like nothing I had ever tasted.

Worst was the cafeteria pizza. Straight cardboard with water and gov't cheese

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

I remember soggy fishsticks. And the pizza had tiny little cubes of "pepperoni" that I've never seen elsewhere. It was all terrible.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

20 Blunts posted:

Turkey gravy and mashed potato day was the best

i loving hated the walking taco bullshit of putting that baby poop ground chuck into an emptied frito bag. jesus loving christ

Emptied? Wtf there are supposed to be Fritos in that bag

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Jelly posted:

I don't remember any school lunches from 40 years ago, OP, how in the world do you remember that stuff

Im 33 so the last time I had school lunch was only like 15 years ago or so

Man it took me a depressingly long amount of time to remember my own age

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Monday hotdogs
Tuesday tacos
Wednesday hamburgers and chocolate milk
Thursday sloppy joes and burritos in a bag
Friday was pizza day, the best day of the week
All the kids would line up super early just to eat

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

wtf are these burrito bags you guys keep talking about?

Ez8
Aug 5, 2004

Nooner posted:

Monday hotdogs
Tuesday tacos
Wednesday hamburgers and chocolate milk
Thursday sloppy joes and burritos in a bag
Friday was pizza day, the best day of the week
All the kids would line up super early just to eat

I would just live off candy bars and bags of nacho chips mooched off other kids.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
There were these breaded fish patties with cheese embedded just under the breading, and I know they SOUND gross but they were absolutely divine.

Also those French bread pizza slices. :keke:

edit:

Eight-Six posted:

friday was always some sort of fried fish because christianity but at least in elementary school I remember getting a rectangle of fried fish with a layer of melted cheese inside the batter

:hfive: I'm quite sure it wasn't Christianity with me though, since I only had these in NYC public schools.

YeahTubaMike fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Oct 15, 2022

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

friday was always some sort of fried fish because christianity but at least in elementary school I remember getting a rectangle of fried fish with a layer of melted cheese inside the batter

I am pretty sure these are not objectively good in any sense, but I kind of wonder if they exist still

Chrispurple
Dec 29, 2012

Oh man, this is gonna be great.
For the rest of my life I'll be chasing the joy I felt on the days the cafeteria would serve either chicken patties or hot dogs. I can still eat that food now, but it's just not the same and that bothers me sometimes.

The real poo poo though was that I was good friends with the kid that lived in the house behind mine and his mom was one of the lunch ladies. All those chucklefucks in school had to wait for taco day, but I had the hookup they couldn't even dream of.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Burgers were definitely the worst. That layer of congealed grease that could be peeled off the top in a single piece :barf:

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

YeahTubaMike posted:

There were these breaded fish patties with cheese embedded just under the breading, and I know they SOUND gross but they were absolutely divine.

Also those French bread pizza slices. :keke:

edit:

:hfive: I'm quite sure it wasn't Christianity with me though, since I only had these in NYC public schools.

texas public school, so.........

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
Spaghett & meat sauce, cold delicious and they had 2 sizes, small in styrofoam and large in cardboard, spaghett day

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

big dyke energy posted:

Lol our school district got pizza from dominos. Extra cheese and exactly four pepperonis per slice

Check out Richie rich over here!

The only thing I remember looking forward to was Baked Potato Bar day.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
The whole school lunch concept was alien to us in Germany in the 80s and 90s.
You sat in the yard and ate whatever your parents put in the plastic container. Lots of rye sandwiches and apples.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
My school did rice as a side but it was incredibly good. I almost always just brought a pb sandwich, but on days they served rice, you could buy a paper boat (the kind for fries) that was just full of rice for like $1, which I did every time I could.

I realize reminiscing about white rice is ludicrous, but I don't know what they seasoned it with that was just amazing. Forever chasing that dragon