Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

tsob posted:

Ichigo's sword doesn't have a Nazi swastika; it has a Buddhist symbol that predates the swastika by literal millenia. The two are very similar looking, and Hitler may even have taken inspiration from the Buddhist symbol, but the points on the Buddhist symbol and the points on the swastika go in different directions; one clockwise, one counter clockwise. A Nazi swastika is also rotated to be at an angle, while the Buddhist symbol is depicted normally. Ichigo's bankai points the right way to be a Buddhist symbol, with the points all falling in line relative to the blade, rather than being at an angle to it.

Also, he achieved bankai before beating Aizen; so he had that sword when you watched it, probably for quite some time.

I guess I'd forgotten when he got that sword. It's been a while since I last watched it, and I'm a lot more sensitive to spotting Nazi imagery these days than I was in 2007 or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caros
May 14, 2008

SpartanIvy posted:

I guess I'd forgotten when he got that sword. It's been a while since I last watched it, and I'm a lot more sensitive to spotting Nazi imagery these days than I was in 2007 or so.

In all fairness, it isn't a great look. Like, all of this points are correct, but it is still close enough to be indistinguishable at a glance.

I don't think kubo is a Nazi or anything, but it's definitely yikes to draw your main character with a hilt that is the non-union Mexican Equivalent of a swastika.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

It's the Kanji for Ban as in Bankai you loving doofuses

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Not everything is western European-American bullshit guys, jesus christ.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Caros posted:

In all fairness, it isn't a great look. Like, all of this points are correct, but it is still close enough to be indistinguishable at a glance.

I don't think kubo is a Nazi or anything, but it's definitely yikes to draw your main character with a hilt that is the non-union Mexican Equivalent of a swastika.
wait until you see a japanese map

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
What does the kanji refer to on the map, out of interest? It obviously doesn't mean "final" like it does in "bankai/final release".

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
They're religious temples, it's a religious symbol

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

the bad guys are nazis is maybe not as damning as you seem to think it is

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Caros posted:

This post is loving stupid top to bottom but my biggest issue is that if you want to point out how insensitive and offensive something is it’s probably not great to use “non-union Mexican equivalent” in the same loving sentence

Because that’s really insensitive and offensive

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
It's also kind of backwards, because if anything was to be the store brand equivalent of the other it's the Nazi swastika given it came way, way, waaaaay later and has a lot less meaning behind it.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

tsob posted:

It's also kind of backwards, because if anything was to be the store brand equivalent of the other it's the Nazi swastika given it came way, way, waaaaay later and has a lot less meaning behind it.

You can say the same thing about Odin and Isis, the distinction there is that people don’t have either of those two involved in their form of religious worship anymore, generally

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

TheKingofSprings posted:

This post is loving stupid top to bottom but my biggest issue is that if you want to point out how insensitive and offensive something is it’s probably not great to use “non-union Mexican equivalent” in the same loving sentence

Because that’s really insensitive and offensive
hello I have no significant interest in Bleach but I feel compelled to point out that it's a Simpsons reference, which also includes a drat funny Nazi joke
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWxcnl8PL_o

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

bees x1000 posted:

hello I have no significant interest in Bleach but I feel compelled to point out that it's a Simpsons reference, which also includes a drat funny Nazi joke
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWxcnl8PL_o
oh its a simpsons reference, well then it cant be racist, thank you come again

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
So far all episodes have been pretty mediocre except the Yamamoto episode, which incidentally is the only episode with anything resembling a good fight

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Zzulu posted:

So far all episodes have been pretty mediocre except the Yamamoto episode, which incidentally is the only episode with anything resembling a good fight

the actual show is mid for sure but its OP and ED are really loving good

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

idk i never followed up on the manga in all this time and the pace of these episodes are all juiced up compared to certain batches of the old show, so I've been having fun.

face melt has definitely been a highlight though, yeah

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

can't open the new episode, still laughing thinkin about all these new cats just up in their tower this whole time, lookin down with little binoculars like "oh gently caress! hahaha oh poo poo!"

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Pootybutt posted:

can't open the new episode, still laughing thinkin about all these new cats just up in their tower this whole time, lookin down with little binoculars like "oh gently caress! hahaha oh poo poo!"

Hey they're paid to protect the soul king, not the soul society.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I was wondering what was taking them so long with the next episode, turns out they only had 13 episodes. Next set won't be available until june/july.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
so is this any good?

and maybe more importantly, will I have any idea what's going on if I never got past the Bounto arc in the original series :v:

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Paperhouse posted:

so is this any good?

and maybe more importantly, will I have any idea what's going on if I never got past the Bounto arc in the original series :v:

It's alright. I don't regret watching it but it could have been better. The season ended without much action which was kind of a downer imo.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I liked it a lot, it's probably the best Bleach has ever been animated, but yeah the last two episodes were not a great place to end the season.

I hope some of the more gruesome turns actually stick this time though. I felt like the arrancar lacked some oomph in their overall threat, whereas the wandenreich are making up for that with some real body counts.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
New Trailer for BLEACH https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53_QT4NSB48

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
New OP is out for second cour:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGTYrh-kFbA

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Bleach don't miss. Even the OPs for all of its horrible filler arcs were on point.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Bleach definitely had some of the best OPs and EDs.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french
Uryu is just acting, right? There's no way he's this stupid?

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
So like, if the Quincies were just hiding in the shadow realm of Soul Society all along, did they all watch and lol as Uryu got his rear end beat when they broke into SS to save Rukia?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

its not like they could do much yhwach was couch-mode and probably couldn't even give out letters so he basically only had like three heavy hitters

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Gologle posted:

So like, if the Quincies were just hiding in the shadow realm of Soul Society all along, did they all watch and lol as Uryu got his rear end beat when they broke into SS to save Rukia?

no cus they didnt even know who he was when yhwach introduced him

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I'm just surprised the Quincies didn't all go crazy and kill each other trapped in that space. They seem like the sort who would.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
I mean... Bambietta.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

dipwood posted:

Uryu is just acting, right? There's no way he's this stupid?

He wants a ride in the helicopter.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Whoever has been directing has some good cinematic taste. All these little things, like putting the episode number in a dusty footprint, followed by a wide shot of the castle with the episode title in their air, really gives this final arc some visual appeal outside of the combat.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
This has been one incredibly hosed up war. The bullshit powers one-upsmanship has been off the charts and I enjoyed every episode of it.

Part 3 trailer is up, more episodes sometime next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

I enjoyed the calvinball endfight and hope it goes on for another 12 episodes

if that entire trailer is scenes/frames from the next cour it looks Actually Insane