Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Hey guys, remember Bleach? It's back! And it's real fuckin' good!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sygUhb8Q2Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzR82oXbjnY

A Shonen Jump manga mega-hit from the turn of the century written by Tite Kubo, BLEACH tells the story of Ichigo Kurosaki, Substitute Soul Reaper, who got his start in a chance meeting with Rukia Kuchiki, a Soul Reaper who gave him her powers to fight a hollow (a lost soul that turns into a monster) while she recovered from injuries.

The original Bleach anime ran from 2004 to 2012. The show was notorious for its pacing issues, cramming huge, season long filler arcs smack dab in the middle of an existing arc. The anime was cancelled before the start of the final arc. The manga reached completion in 2016, but there were no signs of an anime adaptation of the final arc until a surprise announcement in 2020.

BLEACH: Thousand-Year Blood War covers the battle against the Quincy, a mysterious group of hollow hunters who were mostly exterminated 200 years ago for their excessive hunting of hollows. Now called the Wandenreich, they're lead by a brutal and powerful leader, Yhwatch, who claims divine destiny and seeks the destruction of all Soul Society. Ichigo jumps into action to save the remaining hollows from genocide and thrusts himself to the forefront to take on anyone who would hurt his friends.

Bleach is available on Hulu in the US and Disney+ in most other regions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Is this a rescue arc?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
originally it would have been, but ywach only spontaneously changed his personality and motivations three times and not five. #4 was the one in need of rescue.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I'm watching Bleach in 2022 and loving it.

I assume manga stuff needs to be in spoiler tags?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006
No one likes me, but by god I will hold posting grudges for years to get into the cool kids club. I've won title as a most ignored user! Please unignore me uWu
Smellrose
God bless this mess.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
YWACH

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I’m still rewatching that first fight with Number One and grinning like an idiot every time :allears:

Has there still not been any word on when the dub(s) are supposed to be coming out?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
BLEACH Anime Thread: This Season Brought To You By the Letter Q

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Namtab posted:

Is this a rescue arc?

It's the thousand year blood war

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Namtab posted:

Is this a rescue arc?

Are there any Bleach arcs that aren't rescue arcs?

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

ayyyyy i'm ywachin here

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Second episode was better than the first so. Hmm might continue.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

apache is very cute they should put her on the main cast

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Stairmaster posted:

apache is very cute they should put her on the main cast

In a different world the arrancar would have had more of a presence. I like all of the tres bestia.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Can Fullbringer Ichigo still use is Vizard form with the mask?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

nobody knows

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
probably forgotten like when ichigo could detect people's location via spiritual threads

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Freakazoid_ posted:

probably forgotten like Chad's arc

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
I ditched Bleach somewhere during the Fake Karakura Town fights, tempted to start watching this cuz I gotta see my girl, Rukia, again.

And my guy, Chad

And my other guy, Urahara

God this series has such good characters

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Happy Landfill posted:

God this series has such good characters
I just wish they were in a different series. :(

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Pierson posted:

I just wish they were in a different series. :(

I assume you mean a series written by a different author/mangaka, who was better able to explore those characters because Kubo could put them in Zombie Powder or something and they'd still end up feeling underwhelming and oft forgotten I'd imagine, especially when his editors are pushing him to focus on more popular characters so pretty much the entirety of Soul Society keep finding excuses to butt into every arc.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Yeah, I’m sometimes left wondering how much different/better a series could have been if the author had been given some more room to breathe without a weekly format.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
as burn the witch demonstrated, kubo remains kubo.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

tsob posted:

I assume you mean a series written by a different author/mangaka, who was better able to explore those characters because Kubo could put them in Zombie Powder or something and they'd still end up feeling underwhelming and oft forgotten I'd imagine, especially when his editors are pushing him to focus on more popular characters so pretty much the entirety of Soul Society keep finding excuses to butt into every arc.

It'd be pretty funny if (Huge Spoiler)instead of character rankings darling Toshiro getting waxed and put through reanimated torture they swapped in someone else. Like say... Momo(Huge Spoiler)

Lamebot fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Oct 19, 2022

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Just to get ahead of it, this thread is for discussing what has been animated. Lets not do the thing where we make every page look like a CIA document.

Anyways, holy poo poo everything about the new episodes is clean as gently caress

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I've yet to watch the second episode, and maybe I've been spoiled by modern good anime but episode one has some real janky poo poo in it animation wise. Like Uryuu skating around on his little reiatsu skates looks like total garbage. Also the show seems to be pretending that Orihime and Chad matter at all? I did find it pretty funny when Chad punched a fodder hollow, that any of his friends could have killed cleanly, into a building causing massive property damage and probably killing tens of people.

But Ichigo said "bankai" and number one was playing, so it's anime of year.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
So what's actually happening with Bleach as a manga at this point? I fell into a Bleach wiki-hole after watching the bankai release from the new episodes on YouTube, and was reminded of the manga special where Hell is set up as a new problem and the Burn the Witch manga is basically just Bleach II, so is there more manga coming or what?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

tsob posted:

So what's actually happening with Bleach as a manga at this point? I fell into a Bleach wiki-hole after watching the bankai release from the new episodes on YouTube, and was reminded of the manga special where Hell is set up as a new problem and the Burn the Witch manga is basically just Bleach II, so is there more manga coming or what?

Probably a better question for the other BLEACH thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3909239

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Julias posted:

Probably a better question for the other BLEACH thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3909239

I blanked on the fact there even was another Bleach thread, but yeah, fair point. Thanks.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
It's weird to see some of these arrancar/hollows again, I thought they all died.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
The recent episodes looked pretty good but I hope they have some amazing fights in store because 4 episodes in I didn't see a single one.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

lordfrikk posted:

The recent episodes looked pretty good but I hope they have some amazing fights in store because 4 episodes in I didn't see a single one.

Mod edit: don't spoil

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

I'm so

MAD

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
This poo poo is brutal. Glad I had enough control not to read (most of) the manga all this time.

Is the way Yamamoto pronounced Yhwach the correct way? I thought it was supposed to be like yah-watch, but he says it more like yah-hah-bah.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Freakazoid_ posted:

This poo poo is brutal. Glad I had enough control not to read (most of) the manga all this time.

Is the way Yamamoto pronounced Yhwach the correct way? I thought it was supposed to be like yah-watch, but he says it more like yah-hah-bah.

His name was TLed as Juha Bach originally. It's pronounced like hebrew similar to YHWH (Yahweh)

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Kild posted:

His name was TLed as Juha Bach originally. It's pronounced like hebrew similar to YHWH (Yahweh)

I liked the early translation that called him Johann Bach, but yeah I think the original kana was Yu-Ha-Ba-Ha

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...
This is a very "hope this wasn't your favorite character" season, huh?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I somehow missed that a new Bleach season was out until last week and as the original was one of the animes that got me hooked on them in high school, I had to give it a watch. I watched the original seasons up until they defeated Aizen and maybe a little bit after that so I'm kind of picking up bits and pieces of what was between that and this. Like why he has a swastika blade which I hope is like a Hindu reference but now the bad guys are definitely Nazi's so... :dogstare:

In the first episode when "Number One" kicks on with the gang re-intros it was so incredibly nostalgic and just a great feeling. The plot seems kind of mediocre but maybe it will get better as things develop?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Ichigo's sword doesn't have a Nazi swastika; it has a Buddhist symbol that predates the swastika by literal millenia. The two are very similar looking, and Hitler may even have taken inspiration from the Buddhist symbol, but the points on the Buddhist symbol and the points on the swastika go in different directions; one clockwise, one counter clockwise. A Nazi swastika is also rotated to be at an angle, while the Buddhist symbol is depicted normally. Ichigo's bankai points the right way to be a Buddhist symbol, with the points all falling in line relative to the blade, rather than being at an angle to it.

Also, he achieved bankai before beating Aizen; so he had that sword when you watched it, probably for quite some time.