Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Jymmybob posted:

one of the most absurd things I've ever seen. 11/10

I literally jumped at the bamboo spear smash cut. Well played, PA Works. Well played. :golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Goddamn that finale ruled. It's gonna be hard to pick between this and Bocchi as my AOTY to be honest.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

starting the finale: last one. revenge. murder. Let's GO I want ALL the smoke

finishing, happy tears clapping: nagomi realest in the business S+ show, and my bloodthirst still got what it wanted

lmao nagomi singing the ED

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

lol. When she said that line, in my head, I totally would've translated it as "Call me Berkshire!"

Jomo
Jul 11, 2009

Ibblebibble posted:

Goddamn that finale ruled. It's gonna be hard to pick between this and Bocchi as my AOTY to be honest.

I am in the exact same boat; this year has been SSR level in terms of shows. Regardless, both are in my top recommendations now.

Eagerly awaiting the Yakuza0 x Akiba Maid War overhaul Mod.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

loving incredible. nagomi not being able to hit those enka notes in the ending but going for it anyway is just perfect. chekovs bamboo spear. christ. anime of the year

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Is the line, "Tell them that Nagomi Wahira is in mourning." a reference to something? It sounds extremely familiar.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

saw it pointed out that 2018 Nagomi is wearing the hairclip Ranko was picking out for her. this anime keeps fuckin me up

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
gimme a bite, nagomi

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

:barf:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
So, after a day of processing, here are some other random thoughts:
-I’m glad the manager stayed her pathetic self all the way to puke bowl a d beyond.
-I’m glad Nagi wasn’t redeemed/had a change of heart.
-Her willingness to off her subordinates over the Oink Oink girls up until they pushed the exact right buttons was A-class characterization.
-I’m glad the moonbeam maid is the one who shot her.
-Panda low key best psycho.
-I was amazed they didn’t show Nagomi’s bullet riddled body. So, we’ll really never know how many she got hit with. It only takes one through the spine to paralyze.

Overall, I’m just happily surprised that everyone stayed completely true to character. It would’ve been so easy to have those last minute heel turns, especially considering Nagomi’s entire outlook/disposition. But they had everything work out without having to resort to those sorts of cliches. That’s the real strength of the show in my opinions.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

So, after a day of processing, here are some other random thoughts:
-I’m glad the manager stayed her pathetic self all the way to puke bowl a d beyond.
-I’m glad Nagi wasn’t redeemed/had a change of heart.
-Her willingness to off her subordinates over the Oink Oink girls up until they pushed the exact right buttons was A-class characterization.
-I’m glad the moonbeam maid is the one who shot her.
-Panda low key best psycho.
-I was amazed they didn’t show Nagomi’s bullet riddled body. So, we’ll really never know how many she got hit with. It only takes one through the spine to paralyze.

Overall, I’m just happily surprised that everyone stayed completely true to character. It would’ve been so easy to have those last minute heel turns, especially considering Nagomi’s entire outlook/disposition. But they had everything work out without having to resort to those sorts of cliches. That’s the real strength of the show in my opinions.

I get the impression that it was deliberately ambiguous how many bullets had actually hit Nagomi because while Nagi was an excellent shot with an easy target, she'd also completely lost her poo poo and was just firing wildly. Hence why it was possible for her to end up in a wheelchair rather than just being Swiss cheese.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
I wish someone would make a gif of them crying and waving their glowsticks

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
So many gif-able moments in that show in general.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

This was an incredible show, and the puke bowl just elevated it

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

It feels like stuff like that are tropes from other Yakuza media, although not having actually seen anything other than a couple Beat Takeshi movies what do I know. It's got me wanting to play some Yakuza games and watch Violent Cop so mission accomplished.

Jomo
Jul 11, 2009

Coxswain Balls posted:

It feels like stuff like that are tropes from other Yakuza media, although not having actually seen anything other than a couple Beat Takeshi movies what do I know. It's got me wanting to play some Yakuza games and watch Violent Cop so mission accomplished.

Highly recommend starting with the classic Battles without Honor and Humanity (the 1973 film) for anyone interested in finding out more about the influences on this series. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battles_Without_Honor_and_Humanity_(film)

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

If we're talking movies, the originals are important and Tokyo Drifter (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0061101/) is a must watch I'd say.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Yakuza 0 is great, and it only just clicked for me that maid cafes are just hostess clubs.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Maid cafes are an evolution of the hostess club, yes. It's more formulaic and cutesy, to suit the modern otaku, who enjoys things moe rather than overtly sexy.

TheMaskedReader
Aug 14, 2022
Just binged this entire anime with some friends.

One of the stupidest shows I've ever watched. One of the greatest shows I've ever watched.

Goddamn, I did not expect that level of storytelling from the funni maid gangster drama. The dramatic parallels being used constantly, the level of casual violence without robbing it of context or meaning, the constant callbacks to established character traits and past events.

What a drat good show. I'm sad about it, now, because it's over - But in a good way.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Late to the party on this one but I love this kind of deadpan ridiculousness. I think my single favorite moment was seeing the talking fish, comfortable with the knowledge that it would probably never be explained or seen again. Baseball ep best ep.

I would've liked a little epilogue to see what everyone else got up to. One place where I wish AMW didn't play it so straight was with the ending, which is horrifically sad if you think about it much. Nogomi got to live out her dream... sort of... but she's apparently the last one there after everyone else has moved on? Seems pretty lonely.

Anyway this is the most fun PA Works anime since Shirobako.

Dirty Hammy

derra
Dec 29, 2012
The show tells us that 35 is old for a maid. Everyone else likely aged out of the biz peacefully, but Nagomi is a true believer in the cute maid life.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
I feel like super upbeat cute wheelchair maid is enough of a hook to surpass the usual issue of aging out of popularity

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I also got the vibe that none of the other maids were quite as invested in the profession as Nagomi was. They're living their own dreams now, which just happen to be quite different dreams. Small chance that Yume has taken over as whatever the modern, legit equivalent of a maid queenpin like Nagi is, but that's about it.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Yawgmoft posted:

I feel like super upbeat cute wheelchair maid is enough of a hook to surpass the usual issue of aging out of popularity

The spin was pretty slick tbh

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
I just assumed Nagomi owns the cafe now, but still works the floor when she can.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Moe moe kyun :smith:

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
that better be a tank top by sun up :cool:

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage