Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

nate fisher posted:

Thanks for the positive support. I just didn’t know where to say that since college football was such an important part of our relationship. Non-sports people don’t understand how sports can bring people closer together. It is bond that is never broken even after the person is gone and he would want me to say there is no sport better than college football. Not even close.

Sorry for your loss man. I had the same sort of relationship with my grandfather. The 2016 UT UGA game was the last time I got to talk to him after a game and I’ll remember that forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

nate fisher posted:

Thanks for the positive support. I just didn’t know where to say that since college football was such an important part of our relationship. Non-sports people don’t understand how sports can bring people closer together. It is bond that is never broken even after the person is gone and he would want me to say there is no sport better than college football. Not even close.

Sorry for your loss. My dad has been dead for 2 years now and I still get the urge to call him up and chat about sports sometimes.

Tad SG
Apr 16, 2003

Here are provided seats of meditative joy, where shall rise again the destined reign of Troy.
Not to get all meta, but the demographics of this board are amazing. We’ve travelled a long way from the carefree twenty-somethings laughing at things like “2 girl teams, 1 Apple cup.”

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

northwestern is still desperately trying to sell tickets to the ohio state game, they can't even find 40,000 ohio state fans to watch them beat northwestern 85-0 in a rainstorm.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Tad SG posted:

Not to get all meta, but the demographics of this board are amazing. We’ve travelled a long way from the carefree twenty-somethings laughing at things like “2 girl teams, 1 Apple cup.”

you also forgot about the weekly thread OP tribute to Erin Andrews.

we all got older and there ain't many young'ins coming in to replace us on SA, so it's pretty clear how demos have shifted. we're now the targets for those medicine and knee brace ads on the broadcasts :v:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Shout outs to winkie to whatever muddy hole he's presently curled up and jacking off in

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

R.D. Mangles posted:

northwestern is still desperately trying to sell tickets to the ohio state game, they can't even find 40,000 ohio state fans to watch them beat northwestern 85-0 in a rainstorm.

that's because everyone in Chicago is either a Notre Dame fan or Michigan fan.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

predicto posted:

wow, look how ignorant you look right now

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Let the record show I tried to find a picture of UChicago fans to make the cheap "he said Chicago" joke and one doesn't actually exist.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Soul Glo posted:

I want to see Tennessee beat Bama three times in one season

I'm torn because that happening to Bama would be loving hilarious but on the other hand 1998 was my first seriously invested fandom year and Tennessee can kiss both sides of my rear end

E: aw hell, sorry Nate.

tactlessbastard fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Nov 5, 2022

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

predicto posted:

I think there’s more Wisconsin and Purdue fans here than Michigan.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/PeteThamel/status/1588871631652663296

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Bird in a Blender posted:

I think there’s more Wisconsin and Purdue fans here than Michigan.

MSU has more alumni there than every Big Ten school except for Illinois.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Huh...

https://twitter.com/Dave_Matter/status/1588895775634771969

Um, ok. Playing and losing close games to good and bad teams is an improvement? I guess? Sorta?

e: apparently added 2 years to the contract so he's signed through 2027 and he got a raise of some undefined amount so far.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Nov 5, 2022

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

lamentable dustman posted:

We've beat better teams

Just win and it'll work out

Hearing the ROY bus revving up

It doesn’t ultimately matter, but advanced metrics have Clemson’s and Michigan’s schedule nearly identical.

Michigan ends with Illinois and Ohio State, so it’ll work itself out. Win out and Michigan is in (over Clemson).

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Grittybeard posted:

Huh...

https://twitter.com/Dave_Matter/status/1588895775634771969

Um, ok. Playing and losing close games to good and bad teams is an improvement? I guess? Sorta?

e: apparently added 2 years to the contract so he's signed through 2027 and he got a raise of some undefined amount so far.

Weird and kind of a waste, but it’s basically unheard of nowadays for a school to retain a coach with less than three years left on his contract, so I’m sure Missouri was in a place where they felt they either had to fire him or give a vote of confidence in the form of a token extension.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I get the sense Eli's a guy who plays really well with boosters too.

He seems to recruit fairly well considering everything. Shame about the W-L record.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
If he signs an offensive coordinator, it will be a great extension

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/delatorre/status/1588918498255933440

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Oh man, it's going to be embarrassing when we still lose this.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

i'm so glad that texas A&M university, a school that had to back out of a bowl game in flordia due to covid, learned nothing from their experiences and is now basically out of a conference game in florida due to "~the flu~"

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Wow this game would’ve been postponed if it was 2020

Edit: just to cap the conversation on this, there are 6 out to flu, this list includes everyone already injured or suspended.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Nov 5, 2022

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Spaced God posted:

i'm so glad that texas A&M university, a school that had to back out of a bowl game in flordia due to covid, learned nothing from their experiences and is now basically out of a conference game in florida due to "~the flu~"

Lost with flu, not lost of flu.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Is PJ Fleck going to get fired? Minnesota got off to a hot start against some truly terrible teams, but they’ve seemed really bad for the last few weeks

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

General Dog posted:

Is PJ Fleck going to get fired? Minnesota got off to a hot start against some truly terrible teams, but they’ve seemed really bad for the last few weeks

Is Tanner Morgan still out?

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

General Dog posted:

No. I mean, he probably should. He's been a trash recruiter. But at the same time there aren't really better coaches for this type of program. They're never going to get a big name coach. In theory they need to strive to be an Iowa program which is every 4-5 years make the Big 10 title game but that doesn't really seem like it's on the table because they choke against Iowa every year then have a bad loss or two on top of that.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

soggybagel posted:

No. I mean, he probably should. He's been a trash recruiter. But at the same time there aren't really better coaches for this type of program. They're never going to get a big name coach. In theory they need to strive to be an Iowa program which is every 4-5 years make the Big 10 title game but that doesn't really seem like it's on the table because they choke against Iowa every year then have a bad loss or two on top of that.

What’s he bringing to the table if he’s not recruiting well? As far as I know he’s not a Dan Mullen schematic mastermind type.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

General Dog posted:

What’s he bringing to the table if he’s not recruiting well? As far as I know he’s not a Dan Mullen schematic mastermind type.

A strong enthusiasm for selling bullshit to the locals

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

General Dog posted:

Boat metaphors

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Alaois posted:

Boat metaphors

Land of 10,000 lakes, seems like a great fit :hmmyes:

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
If you're looking for the summation of what it means to be a Missouri football fan, the Tigers lost today because the Wildcat punter made the terrible decision to try and punt a bad snap away when he could've just taken a safety and dared Mizzou's moribund offense to move the ball. Instead, they luck out with a roughing the punter call because the defender started his tackle as the punter had his back turned and was still finishing scooping the ball up.

Mike_V fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Nov 5, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Blake Corum and Donovan Edwards after watching Northwestern rush for 200+ yards against Ohio State today: