Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

The sneaky fella is not the boss I was thinking of!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I forget where I read it but the minigun has one of my favorite video game gun explanations. How do you fit 150 bullets into that tiny thing you reload with? Easy, that small box is actually pulling the bullets you've already fired back in time to be fired again. Obviously.

I'm the kind of person who is inclined to treat stealth sections seriously when they come up, even if they're technically optional, so its always funny to see just how pointless they are.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

Kibayasu posted:

even if they're technically optional, so its always funny to see just how pointless they are.

Remember, if no one is left alive who knows you were there, you've achieved 100% stealth!

azren
Feb 14, 2011

I have a bone to pick with this game now. I'm getting irritated by the "Don't trust Barisov/Her/The Girl" messages; so far, the game has been forcing you to go along with them, providing you with no other options. It just forced you to rescue Katherine, ffs. Sure, maybe Renko doesn't know whether to believe them, but I'm taking them at face value: ham-fisted foreshadowing.

Loving the LP, though.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

You have to consider that, on some level, the game is ultimately meant for gamers and that the gamer stereotype, which may or may not be true, (it is extremely true), is that gamers aren't quite the most mentally agile people in this world or the next.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

SIGSEGV posted:

You have to consider that, on some level, the game is ultimately meant for gamers and that the gamer stereotype, which may or may not be true, (it is extremely true), is that gamers aren't quite the most mentally agile people in this world or the next.

Would you kindly?

stryth
Apr 7, 2018

Got bread?
GIVE BREADS!

azren posted:

I have a bone to pick with this game now. I'm getting irritated by the "Don't trust Barisov/Her/The Girl" messages; so far, the game has been forcing you to go along with them, providing you with no other options. It just forced you to rescue Katherine, ffs. Sure, maybe Renko doesn't know whether to believe them, but I'm taking them at face value: ham-fisted foreshadowing.

Loving the LP, though.

There is actually a reason for all those signs and scribbles, beyond ham fisted foreshadowing, a reason that makes them kinda horrifying.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

A low-energy update for the worst-integrated boss fight.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Time control is nothing against the power of two boxes.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Ship happens.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Metroid reference aside, never did like the grenade launcher much. In a game filled with extremely lethal (mostly) normal guns having the player stand still to sort of awkwardly steer a grenade felt like the bad kind of gimmick. You're at least pretty much invincible when you're using the Seeker.

I'm assuming the random characters on the shipping container are probably trying to be a serial number or whatever which can seem like random letters and numbers so someone probably just rolled a fist on a keyboard for that.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Let's never use the grenade launcher again.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

I love how "aim for the center of mass" is just a constant euphemism for nutshots with the sniper rifle.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

At a certain point the Seeker loses its charm, that bridge found that point.

im saint germain
Jan 30, 2021

i've come from the future to tell you all we have to stop party rock before it returns
I also faced Cosmo D-release-playability woes for years - he was actually kind enough to work with me on my issue (all games except Saturn V and Off-Peak would immediately crash upon launching the game in the Unity launcher - there were a couple indie games from other developers that would suffer this as well), and eventually he determined that it was an issue with the Windows install that came with my laptop. Apparently, Unity is dependent on poo poo that some versions of Windows either lack or put in a place Unity wasn't checking.

Out of nowhere, I got a Windows update that actually solved the issue, and I never figured out exactly what got updated/fixed - all I know is, I'm not going to question how it happened, just appreciate it because I goddamn love that dude's games. You should hold out hope, though - one day, Microsoft may get around to helping you too!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

im saint germain posted:

I also faced Cosmo D-release-playability woes for years - he was actually kind enough to work with me on my issue (all games except Saturn V and Off-Peak would immediately crash upon launching the game in the Unity launcher - there were a couple indie games from other developers that would suffer this as well), and eventually he determined that it was an issue with the Windows install that came with my laptop. Apparently, Unity is dependent on poo poo that some versions of Windows either lack or put in a place Unity wasn't checking.

Out of nowhere, I got a Windows update that actually solved the issue, and I never figured out exactly what got updated/fixed - all I know is, I'm not going to question how it happened, just appreciate it because I goddamn love that dude's games. You should hold out hope, though - one day, Microsoft may get around to helping you too!

Did I miss something in the video or was this the wrong thread? :v:

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

I did mention that Tales from Off-Peak City still reboots my PC. Unity!

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Does your shower/crapper also have its own zip code?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I want to know what kind of decontamination showers these people think they've been using in the past.

For all the dismemberment almost every other weapon has its weird that the rocket launcher barely has any. Though speaking of weapons I think it was Bioshock that also had a revolver with a capacity upgrade but it actually did update the model with a ridiculous add-on. That was cool.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Raven Software fucks

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

As soon as you turned towards the panel saying "control deck", I knew what was wrong.

It is not at all because I have seen many google translations, in fact, if I remember correctly, there were a bunch of those in the offensively French part of Bioshock Infinite.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
I have never seen such a baffling method for credits in a game made by more then a dozen people.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Everything else aside I do enjoy the Barisov ending because I imagine Renko as Homer in the time travel Halloween episode going "Eh, close enough."

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Kibayasu posted:

Everything else aside I do enjoy the Barisov ending because I imagine Renko as Homer in the time travel Halloween episode going "Eh, close enough."

Telling someone with a straight face that they need to go back in time to kill themselves is pretty funny also

im saint germain
Jan 30, 2021

i've come from the future to tell you all we have to stop party rock before it returns
I honestly expected the twist to be that Barisov was all in Renko's head by some point in the plot. Once you fought your way past a bunch of soldiers and mutants to a place where Barisov was just standing there, motionless and unconcerned, I figured that was intentional instead of sloppy and/or rushed work

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

EasilyConfused posted:

I have never seen such a baffling method for credits in a game made by more then a dozen people.

Valve and Insomniac both do a "Everybody by alphabetic order" thing. It's not particularly rare.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

They've got two potential sequel premises, and no studio to make them.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I mean, yeah, it's a game. And just how rushed it was is certainly pretty obvious. But I think it's nice that no matter which way you go, there is no going back. No way to get back to your initial timeline.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

So why couldn't you just shoot Demichev in the past? The world will never know.

After that thing between Bethesda and Human Head over Prey 2 its hard to say if its right but the story I heard about Singularity is that it was a long development that wasn't going well and the rush to release was to get something done. But that's probably taking the word of Activision and lol

berryjon posted:

I mean, yeah, it's a game. And just how rushed it was is certainly pretty obvious. But I think it's nice that no matter which way you go, there is no going back. No way to get back to your initial timeline.

It is a good choice and hopefully it was intentionally done. I feel like the game kind of just pulls the rug with the Barisov ending but I guess you can justify with the logic that even though Barisov doesn't want to conquer the world with guns he's still a scientist working in a secret research lab so he's probably a patriot to say the least.

By the way Selenic I think you mentioned your podcast a few times? Is that something you'd want to link to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Kibayasu posted:

It is a good choice and hopefully it was intentionally done. I feel like the game kind of just pulls the rug with the Barisov ending but I guess you can justify with the logic that even though Barisov doesn't want to conquer the world with guns he's still a scientist working in a secret research lab so he's probably a patriot to say the least.

He was pretty enthusiastic about destroying the Soviet Union's enemies in the little videos he was in