Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Once upon a time, beset by lay-offs, Raven Software made the very last original game in its history, before being locked forever in the Call of Duty mines by Activision.

It's a bit of a miracle that Singularity exists, and that it runs as well as it does, and that it plays OK. Its quality of Russian captions is entirely predictable though.

So, let's go on a trip though a tale about being stuck in a stupid time loop, made by a team about to suffer the same fate.

SelenicMartian fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Feb 10, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Please help my browser is infected with this game now.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

One day I'm going to learn Russian so I can properly groan at the style of typography they have chosen.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

The word in front of Tim looks like it's the result of putting 'Frank' into an auto-translator.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
This game looks neat and I'm enjoying the translations, but it does highlight how weird it is that they're mixing Russian and English on the same signs. Do other games do this and I've just never noticed?

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Why advise people to lay down? In a fire, smoke and heat will rise, so staying low allows for the possibility of more air that won't instantly sear your lungs.

Lokapala
Jan 6, 2013
The "Smoking Blows Here" sign is perfection.

"Help me, for the love of god" (or, I guess, "Помогите, ради бога") is, surprisingly, a thing a Soviet person, even a scientist, would be entirely likely to say, especially in the 50s. Soviet culture did not produce any new emphatic exclamations to replace the religion-based appeals, and the profanity language does not lend itself very well to begging.

On the other hand, the constant "Russian" in announcements is really annoying. They wouldn't be talking about "Mother Russia", making "every Russian proud" and promising best "Russian" education. Soviet education, come on guys, keep your setting straight.

And speaking of, it's either called "Katorga-12" and you send your unwanted politicals into death mines here, or it's a closed science city where you voluntarily move with your entire family because the pay and the amenities are crazy good. If the writers really needed to have it both ways, you could have a gulag on the north end of the island, with death mines, and an unsettlingly nice and clean closed science city in the south, with schools, parks and fancy apartments. For extra Bioshock-ness, even.

Side note: "katorga" is a very Imperial Russia thing. You got sent to a "katorga" when you were a terrorist who plotted against the tsar, you went to "lagerya" when you made a dumb joke about Stalin.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I love mistranslation translation tour! Though I will not be following the challenge issued in your video description.

And while I'm no voice actor I can't help but think they went with how they pronounce Katorga because even after hearing the correct pronunciation it takes quite an effort to make my mouth form those sounds in that order and I'm pretty sure I'm still doing it very wrong.

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010

SIGSEGV posted:

One day I'm going to learn Russian so I can properly groan at the style of typography they have chosen.

I доит sее тне ряоблем? Sеемs реяfeстлу яеадавле то ме

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

SIGSEGV posted:

I recommend at the very least learning to read cyrillic so you can read phonetically some of the poo poo that was meant for a latin-reading audience because it is often unintentionally very funny

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

We meet our first enemies, not counting the Russian grammar.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Well, that school was certainly a thing. But I vaguely remember the pistol being useful after some upgrades, but at the start, yeah, it's not that great.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Yeah, funny to introduce it as a powerful but slow weapon and the first thing you run into takes multiple shots unless you happen to head-shot it. Save that description for the magnum-equivalent.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I can't really fathom the amount of not giving a poo poo to not hire someone, or a few people, that knows Russian pretty well to oversee the Russian text in your game set in Soviet Russia.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I know its video games but people shouting cries for help into a tape recorder because... someone will hear it and come for them? is always kind of funny.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Space Kablooey posted:

I can't really fathom the amount of not giving a poo poo to not hire someone, or a few people, that knows Russian pretty well to oversee the Russian text in your game set in Soviet Russia.

It happens all the time, in all languages towards all languages. I consider myself happy when the names are patterned after existing people on wikipedia because there's nothing that works quite as well to set the tone than to have some character's name be a slur in the language in which it is meant to be.

Kibayasu posted:

I know its video games but people shouting cries for help into a tape recorder because... someone will hear it and come for them? is always kind of funny.

Audiologs are a mistake, I think the only good one is that one left by Karras in Thief 2.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

SIGSEGV posted:

It happens all the time, in all languages towards all languages. I consider myself happy when the names are patterned after existing people on wikipedia because there's nothing that works quite as well to set the tone than to have some character's name be a slur in the language in which it is meant to be.

Yeah I realize that. It's especially egregious when the foreign language is in the entire game, however.

Hell I was surprised and delighted when the original MW2 got Rio pretty right, and that was just a relatively small section.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

That was a very long time ago and my memory is not so good but that was right before they did a bit of Pakistan with every sign in the wrong language, right?

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I think they had a small bit in Pakistan in MW3 so yeah, very likely.

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Nov 28, 2022

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I enjoy the implication that they're censoring letters by manually retyping them with a dash in place of every redacted character to preserve the spacing of the original, for some reason.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

After two tutorials on weapon upgrades I think weapon upgrades might be important?

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
In that it didn't explain anything, I guess that reveal was kinda similar to Darkseed 2.

TapamN
Jan 10, 2008
I was surprised how often children can get their hands on typewriters and reel-to-reel recorders in the 1950's Soviet Union, but this is no doubt historically accurate.

im saint germain
Jan 30, 2021

i've come from the future to tell you all we have to stop party rock before it returns
I am a firm believer that good audiologs must be left for a specific listener, and unless there's a VERY good, unique reason, "private notes for only the recorder, which just happened to be discovered" doesn't cut it.

When they're properly treated as a found medium, with adequate context (like how written notes are much more prone but not guaranteed to receive), they have a better chance to make the desired impact - otherwise, they're just funneling non-crucial worldbuilding and/or foreshadowing at the player, and the best one can hope for is some decent voice acting to sell it, or otherwise for the speech volume to fade with distance from the object.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Private notes for the recorder, strewn left and right all over the game world.
Why is this log in a random dead end office? Who knows

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I'm reminded of one of the Audio Logs from Bioshock, about the testing of Subject Delta and how it was placed in the relevant lab, with the after effects of the events of the log plainly visible. It was part of the environmental storytelling that didn't break SOD at all.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Alright, I'm wrong, good audiologs are the Karras message in Thief 2 and also the FEAR 1 phone messages.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I am greatly enjoying your narration, but the mouse sensitivity with no smoothing seems designed to make me motion sick actually watching the videos. I'm glad I'm not the one who has to play it like that.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I wasn't expecting "Alpha Protocol" to be the answer to "What game did research into what Russia should look like" but actually I guess that shouldn't surprise me.

Anyways for a short Singularity story I apparently never read the part of the weapons locker text that says you can switch weapons at them. So I did this next part with only the Centurion.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

im saint germain posted:

otherwise for the speech volume to fade with distance from the object.

Nah, this sucks. The prime advantage of audio logs over written notes is you get to actually play the game while listening to them, instead of being stuck standing in a room.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Man, this game owned. Even had a kind of neat multiplayer mode.

im saint germain
Jan 30, 2021

i've come from the future to tell you all we have to stop party rock before it returns

Unreal_One posted:

Nah, this sucks. The prime advantage of audio logs over written notes is you get to actually play the game while listening to them, instead of being stuck standing in a room.

That's the reason I prefaced that bit with "otherwise" - it sucks when you want to listen to them while getting on with your day, but when you're stuck hearing painful writing/voice acting and there's no escape...

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes you think you're making assets for a school level, but…

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have to admit, the game does a lot with a simple mechanic like the basic function of the TMD. Opens and closes new pathways, provides a backup weapon at close range, and acts as a puzzle interaction device. It could be handled worse.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Gravity gun? Check.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Im starting to get the feeling that E99 poisoning is even worse than the lead poisoning that boomers got from drinking leaded milk and sniffing leaded gas. It's the only coherent explanation for the bad Russian

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Barisov is no Dr. Darling but he's got a decent film presence.

Slaan posted:

Im starting to get the feeling that E99 poisoning is even worse than the lead poisoning that boomers got from drinking leaded milk and sniffing leaded gas. It's the only coherent explanation for the bad Russian

Well it would have to be, E99 turns you into a single minded simpleton ready to rage as anything unfamil-waaaaait a second.

im saint germain
Jan 30, 2021

I wonder how hard it would be to dig up old Soviet propaganda videos and compare them to the stuff in Singularity - having not seen any before, it feels like this game is just biting as much Bioshock as the devs could get in there, but I suppose it's possible that these videos are closer to accurate than they seem to the uninformed.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

H h h sovnoohb ofjwheoeiog! :santahurr:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I remember Gorky 17 because when I played the demo I had no idea what turn based combat was I so completely lost when combat started.

“Random word” is at least almost certainly a deliberate joke, especially if it’s on a crate duplicated throughout the whole game. And I actually completely forgot the next boss happens so early in the game.