Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hey, anyone played Coromon before? I just noticed it on Steam, and it seems like a straight-up Pokemon knock-off. Is it actually any good? If so, does it play it 'straight' and is a simple reskin of Pokemon, or do they actually try to shake it up a little and have some unique mechanics?

I haven't properly played Pokemon since HeartGold (and Ruby, before that) but... now that I think about it, I kinda wouldn't mind a Pokemon-styled game to play now and again, actually. And TBH, the fact that it's actually something new and not Pokemon is a plus, since it'll be entirely unfamiliar to me - aside from the basic mechanics, anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
I haven't played Coromon, but you just reminded me of the pokemon game with guns and slave labor

lol

apparently it's in early access with an expected January 2024 release date

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hah! Excellent, clearly I've gotta keep an eye out, for that! :D

Anyway, I looked coromon up on isthereanydeal and found that it's a tenner (in AUD, anyway) for a day on IndieGala, so I figured I'd give it a go. Tried it and it seems pretty decent so far. Small pool of 'mons (122) and it plays like a old pokemon game, but seems a little nicer overall. Not too bad!

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Cubone posted:

I haven't played Coromon, but you just reminded me of the pokemon game with guns and slave labor

lol

apparently it's in early access with an expected January 2024 release date

This initially feels like a tepid meme game at first but the sheer passion and commitment the devs have put in makes it loop around to being genuinely funny again

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hey, just wondering - is Quantum Break any good? I wasn't even aware it existed until this weekend. From what I gather it's kinda... Control-/Alan Wake-ish, but with a bunch of long cutscenes? So I guess a game in Control's vein, if they decided to go by MGS4's playbook, for some reason? Looks kinda cool, but I'm a little dubious as I haven't heard anything about it, ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Major Isoor posted:

Hey, just wondering - is Quantum Break any good? I wasn't even aware it existed until this weekend. From what I gather it's kinda... Control-/Alan Wake-ish, but with a bunch of long cutscenes? So I guess a game in Control's vein, if they decided to go by MGS4's playbook, for some reason? Looks kinda cool, but I'm a little dubious as I haven't heard anything about it, ever

I heard good things from goons. I tried it on my Xbox and I had two big crashes that erased level progress in the first three levels, so i deleted it. Apparently it has a lot of technical issues, both on Xbox systems and PC. I’m sure it was random but I really didn’t want to potentially replay every 45 minute level a second time or whatever

From what I played of it, it was kind of like a much more linear Control prototype. As you said, lots of cutscenes. I’m sure the Remedy style would eventually wow me, but the initial gameplay felt generic.

Anyway, it’s free on game pass, so it’s not like it’s expensive or anything. Just didn’t click with me