Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hey imps! I thought I'd put up a thread for seeking recommendations, since I'm curious to know about your opinions of Bannerlord, if you don't mind me asking! (Also, I figured a recommendation thread might come in handy, during the coming 'end of year' sales. Apologies if it's too broad a topic for an IZ thread, though - I don't want to take away from the other main threads!)

I actually messaged Sub about it all a little earlier and he mentioned liking the tournament content, which is a good sign. I always enjoyed successfully beating up a dozen guys with my arena-issued quarterstaff, while desperately spinning it around parrying an endless stream of thrusts and swings, from the other combatants.
No idea about the rest of the game though, as I haven't kept up with it since it first hit Early Access. Hopefully it's actually good, now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Major Isoor posted:

Hey imps! I thought I'd put up a thread for seeking recommendations, since I'm curious to know about your opinions of Bannerlord, if you don't mind me asking! (Also, I figured a recommendation thread might come in handy, during the coming 'end of year' sales. Apologies if it's too broad a topic for an IZ thread, though - I don't want to take away from the other main threads!)

I actually messaged Sub about it all a little earlier and he mentioned liking the tournament content, which is a good sign. I always enjoyed successfully beating up a dozen guys with my arena-issued quarterstaff, while desperately spinning it around parrying an endless stream of thrusts and swings, from the other combatants.
No idea about the rest of the game though, as I haven't kept up with it since it first hit Early Access. Hopefully it's actually good, now!

It's good poo poo OP. You'll love it.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Op, I've seen you post quite a bit in the X4 thread in Games. I think if you like that game then Bannerlord is right up your alley. It has army building and basic management/economics stuff while also still feeling deep down like it's still based on some weird old PC mod with terrible UI. If you aren't put off by that then I think you will have a great time.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Wormskull posted:

It's good poo poo OP. You'll love it.

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Op, I've seen you post quite a bit in the X4 thread in Games. I think if you like that game then Bannerlord is right up your alley. It has army building and basic management/economics stuff while also still feeling deep down like it's still based on some weird old PC mod with terrible UI. If you aren't put off by that then I think you will have a great time.

Oh, right! I'd forgotten about the (light, anyway) economy stuff in Warband - sounds good, then! Maybe not quite as good as my X3TC drug empire in that regard, but the economy side of the game should still be decent. I'm pretty used to weird and unhelpful interfaces, after all! :D
Well, sounds like I might be onto a winner - thanks guys!

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

based on eht i know about your tastes this is right up your alley major

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Fungah! posted:

based on eht i know about your tastes this is right up your alley major

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Have you played Kenshi, major? I think you'd really like that one too

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Sub-Actuality posted:

i relly need to try out kenshi, it seems like its my poo poo

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Sub-Actuality posted:

Oh, no I haven't! I have a friend who used to play that a bunch - you might be right, on that! I'd completely forgotten about that game, tbh, so that's a good idea.

All I remember from it is that you can build a trade empire and train your physical attributes by getting yourself enslaved and being beaten up for weeks, in between mining for your overlord haha

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
if there's anyone out there who likes small, cheap arcade-y games, the guy who makes spelunky has a real good little list

The Kins fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Dec 14, 2022

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Fungah! posted:

i relly need to try out kenshi, it seems like its my poo poo

Major Isoor posted:

Oh, no I haven't! I have a friend who used to play that a bunch - you might be right, on that! I'd completely forgotten about that game, tbh, so that's a good idea.

All I remember from it is that you can build a trade empire and train your physical attributes by getting yourself enslaved and being beaten up for weeks, in between mining for your overlord haha

yep that's about the speed of it lol. it's definitely in the same vein as X4 / Bannerlord in that you're gradually building up a faction, but it's a vastly deeper and more interesting world than either of those. strongly recommend it

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

The Kins posted:

if there's anyone out there who likes small, cheap arcade-y games, the guy who makes spelunky has a real good little list

this rules, thank you

Boofy
Sep 11, 2001

everyone shoudl play terra invicta until it makes them a mental retard like my self

thanks to dendy, for good sig

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Sub-Actuality posted:

I refunded Kenshi but I did so knowing I would buy it again one day, it just wasn't the right time for me to learn it. This probably sounds stupid and I'm sure it wouldnt interface with the base/army management stuff that comes up later, but I felt like I would have felt the vibe a lot better as like an over-the-shoulder camera third-person thing instead of the isometric click-to-move perspective it had going on. The world and systems seem really cool but I wanted to play Morrowind in them, not like an RTS

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Kenshi was the coolest thing ever for about 10 hours, then I realized I prefer something with a bit more structure so I went back to RimWorld. I'm looking forward to Kenshi 2 though.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

What's a good city builder? I love Cities Skylines but I'm getting tired of it, and nothing new has really scratched the itch. I also love classic Sim City, Actraiser, and Tropico.

I tried Airborne Kingdom on Switch but found it very limited. I would recommend Islanders, which is kind of a cheap little puzzle game with city builderish elements.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder

The Kins posted:

i can personally rec zeroranger and kero blaster on this list as real good games

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Nostradingus posted:

What's a good city builder? I love Cities Skylines but I'm getting tired of it, and nothing new has really scratched the itch. I also love classic Sim City, Actraiser, and Tropico.

I tried Airborne Kingdom on Switch but found it very limited. I would recommend Islanders, which is kind of a cheap little puzzle game with city builderish elements.

Check out Workers and Resources. It's a lot different than C:S or SimCity since you individually build things instead of plopping down zones and you will never make a big city with it. But it's unique and pretty engrossing once you get over the initial learning curve.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Kenshi is amazing and special. I think the meat of the game is probably the base building stuff, but it's a lot of fun exploring the world with a small band of guys bullshitting back and forth.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Nostradingus posted:

Its a bit of a departure, but the Anno series is similar to Tropico, except instead of internal politics you have RTS-style exploration where you need to settle on islands to grow different crops and stuff to develop your supply lines while enemy AI does the same.

Only Anno 1800 really grabbed me but the other games are well regarded

teppichporsche
May 11, 2019

The Settlers 2 (the remake) and Anno 2070 and 1404 are great games.

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005
Got a sinden on the way need light gun games
Virtua cops
HotDs
Time Crises
?

----------------

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Food Boner posted:

Virtua cops
HotDs
Time Crises
?

Point blank
Elemental gearbolt

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Nostradingus posted:

Against the Storm is really good if you haven't tried that

----------------

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Food Boner posted:

Virtua cops
HotDs
Time Crises
?

vampire night

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Food Boner posted:

Virtua cops
HotDs
Time Crises
?

nice, I'll get two once im done buying two for every single console ever made.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Food Boner posted:

Virtua cops
HotDs
Time Crises
?
stuff for actual lightguns:
Die Hard Trilogy (die hard 2 mode)
Area 51
Battle Clash
Metal Combat: Falcon's Revenge
Lucky & Wild (great in co-op!)
Golgo 13 Arcade

stuff that was on wii so you can just use a wiimote (scratch the itch while the sinden navigates the holiday season postal service):
Gunblade NY
LA Machineguns
Ghost Squad
Dead Space: Extraction

stuff that probably sucks but it might be funny to mess around with for five mins:
those fmv laserdisc games
T2: The Arcade Game
Revolution X
DEATH CRIMSON!

i think the only version of silent scope that supports lightgun is the og xbox trilogy collection, so if you're gonna do emulation good luck with that :(

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

resident evil dead aim

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

trying to jack off posted:

resident evil dead aim

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

resident evil dead aim

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

The Kins posted:

cool, thanks for this

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

resident evil dead aim

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

tryin to figure out what to do for my freestyle games, not gonna get a lot of gamng time in for the rest of impmas so i'm thinkin short and sweet. any ideas?

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Fungah! posted:

tryin to figure out what to do for my freestyle games, not gonna get a lot of gamng time in for the rest of impmas so i'm thinkin short and sweet. any ideas?

Kung Fu for the NES can be beat in under 10 minutes
MGSV: Ground Zeroes maybe takes an hour or two

I'll come back when I think of some more

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Fungah! posted:

Journey is rlly short and rlly beautiful
Hylics is only a few hours long, it's bizarre but kicks rear end
i remember liking VVVVVV even tho it's "indie pixel platformer" to the max

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

journey is very good and fast. I wonder if you can still encounter other people, it really suits the atmosphere.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

my morning jackass posted:

journey is very good and fast. I wonder if you can still encounter other people, it really suits the atmosphere.

i played through it last year on like a Tuesday morning or something and i still encountered at least 3 other randoms so probably

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

Food Boner posted:

Virtua cops
HotDs
Time Crises
?

Police Trainer.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

goferchan posted:

I refunded Kenshi but I did so knowing I would buy it again one day, it just wasn't the right time for me to learn it. This probably sounds stupid and I'm sure it wouldnt interface with the base/army management stuff that comes up later, but I felt like I would have felt the vibe a lot better as like an over-the-shoulder camera third-person thing instead of the isometric click-to-move perspective it had going on. The world and systems seem really cool but I wanted to play Morrowind in them, not like an RTS

I found Kenshi utterly miserable to actually play. I deeply respect it for what it does but I do not like it and would never really recommend it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I found Kenshi utterly miserable to actually play. I deeply respect it for what it does but I do not like it and would never really recommend it

Same here. Too much busy work