Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
start a rebellion. we are on year two of refusing to migrate from slack, and execs are now too afraid mention it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
yes, they obviously still want to do it because it’s free if your employees are worthless, but they know anytime they broach the subject they will get a whole day of engineers ranting angrily

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

we use slack op

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
why hasn't irc implemented emoji and wiped the floor with slack?

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

RokosCockatrice posted:

why hasn't irc implemented emoji and wiped the floor with slack?

because slack is very good and irc is weird janky bullshit for nerds

also, facebook uses irc, so it is forever tainted

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
switch to mastodon op

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

go play outside Skyler posted:

we have until feb. 28th to switch. i have a lot of very important slack message threads and insofar they have not come up with a way for us to archive chats

I had to help a company migrate from slack a couple of years ago and I recall exporting public channels being easy and exporting anything else begin a pain in the rear end because they were on free plan. If you're on paid plan then your owner should be able to just request an export easy peasy.

storing important information in chat seems super weird to me tbh. I can't relate to that. Maybe it's because I used to have to use lync and so I'm just conditioned to accepting that messages not only don't get saved but they might also not even be delivered.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

git apologist posted:

because slack is very good and irc is weird janky bullshit for nerds

also, facebook uses irc, so it is forever tainted

IRC is actually great

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

nvrgrls posted:

storing important information in chat seems super weird to me tbh. I can't relate to that. Maybe it's because I used to have to use lync and so I'm just conditioned to accepting that messages not only don't get saved but they might also not even be delivered.

my partner's company does 99% of internal comm via slack and email is just for communication with external companies, i think its weird

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

nvrgrls posted:

it’s not so much intentional storing as it is someone asking the same question you have or posting a notice a few months ago. a keyword search will quickly find that and give you the answer. it becomes google for company knowledge.

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

compliance departments also love having records of everything.

most financial companies will just outright reject any chat program that does not log everything.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

nvrgrls posted:

IRC is actually great

oh great another netsplit

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

The Management posted:

it becomes google for company knowledge.

sharepoint, lol

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

okay hear me out now

Yammer wasn't so bad

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Whenever I add a file to a chat Teams shits a brick because on the backend it keeps every file across all of your chats in a single folder

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

El Mero Mero posted:

okay hear me out now

Yammer wasn't so bad

Yammer is pretty good at what it was designed to do.

Unfortunately most companies don't use it very well and Microsoft is doing its best to ruin the product, too.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

There's a guy at my work that is the last one around still using Yammer. Every once in a while I log in and I see he's just been posting into the void every day for months with nobody responding.

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

El Mero Mero posted:

There's a guy at my work that is the last one around still using Yammer. Every once in a while I log in and I see he's just been posting into the void every day for months with nobody responding.

Living the dream.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

El Mero Mero posted:

lol dead intranet theory

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

El Mero Mero posted:

give him a random like on a post from a year ago to give him hope and will to live

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

lowest high and highest low loser of: WEED WEE
k

Gnossiennes posted:

i will give ms teams this, it is better than cisco jabber, altho having essentially an aim buddy list was a nostalgic feeling

this is how I first hear about the 14 year old news of cisco paying an undisclosed sum for a jabber implementation, i just assumed jabber was dead

distortion park posted:

there's a thing for this called Threads.com. When I used it I genuinely preferred it to emails - but it never replaced Slack

i get this; i preferred wave to email

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Chopstick Dystopia posted:

this is how I first hear about the 14 year old news of cisco paying an undisclosed sum for a jabber implementation, i just assumed jabber was dead

the jabber devs definitely have been for the last few years

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

"teamsing"

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

how it sometimes manages to compress videos to 120p and somehow makes them looks worse than youtube in 2003

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

El Mero Mero posted:

okay hear me out now

Yammer wasn't so bad

the beer pong tables?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

go play outside Skyler posted:

how it sometimes manages to compress videos to 120p and somehow makes them looks worse than youtube in 2003

Founded February 14, 2005; 18 years ago