Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is our favorite RSS reader
This poll is closed.
Whatever comes with my web browser 3 6.25%
google reader 6 12.50%
digg 2 4.17%
thunderbird 3 6.25%
outlook 3 6.25%
netnewswire 6 12.50%
feedburner 1 2.08%
freshrss 1 2.08%
tiny tiny rss 1 2.08%
large large rss 2 4.17%
yarr 1 2.08%
jarr 1 2.08%
bubo reader 1 2.08%
commandfeed 1 2.08%
goeland 1 2.08%
kriss 1 2.08%
leed 1 2.08%
leselys 1 2.08%
miniflux 2 4.17%
moonmoon 1 2.08%
newsblur 4 8.33%
newsdash 1 2.08%
newspipe 1 2.08%
politepol 1 2.08%
rss fulltext proxy 2 4.17%
Total: 18 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Progressive JPEG posted:

miniflux and reeder both do that too, i think it just scrapes what it thinks the main content is. sorta surprising how well it works

itll still fail if the article went ultra hostile with dividing up content into multiple pages but otherwise Just Works

nice! it's a cool feature and made a bunch of site more palatable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts
i'm reviving this dead rear end thread because i just spent the better part of two hours getting pissed

what i want: my rss feeds digested down into a .mobi file and delivered to my kindle every morning. has anyone managed to accomplish that in a nonshit way?

every solution i tried so far has been its unique flavour of lovely. special mentions go to the fetch news function in calibre which scales up every image, including icons, so that they take up an entire goddamn page

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

armpit_enjoyer posted:

i'm reviving this dead rear end thread because i just spent the better part of two hours getting pissed

what i want: my rss feeds digested down into a .mobi file and delivered to my kindle every morning. has anyone managed to accomplish that in a nonshit way?

every solution i tried so far has been its unique flavour of lovely. special mentions go to the fetch news function in calibre which scales up every image, including icons, so that they take up an entire goddamn page

i think calibre is pretty much the only game in town for this at this point unless you want to write your own. i havent looked for it but there's probably something that does pdfs that you can then automail to your send to kindle email address

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

can someone explain what an ras feed is for those of us who don't live in a nursing home

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

instead of going to a news website or blog to be bombarded with ads and lovely web designs you subscribe to their “rss feed” using an app that displays the content in a text only format. if you frequently check a lot of different sources, it’s handy to have everything in one place rather than having to individually visit a whole bunch of websites

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

how do they make money off that though?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Cactus Ghost posted:

can someone explain what an ras feed is for those of us who don't live in a nursing home

they’re for torrents

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts

Elder Postsman posted:

here's the neat thing: they don't

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

you can put ads in rss feeds too

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Elder Postsman posted:

This was technology from back when people thought you could get rich by making the internet useful.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

mediaphage posted:

you can put ads in rss feeds too

or truncate articles so readers have to go to the full site 😑

some feed apps support readability mode that pulls the full site, hiding ads, so the site gets a little ad load as a treat and the reader doesn't see it

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Agile Vector posted:

some feed apps support readability mode that pulls the full site, hiding ads, so the site gets a little ad load as a treat and the reader doesn't see it

i use reeder on my phone and it does this - it's nice

justcallhimdragon
Aug 23, 2023

+1 to FreshRSS in Docker and Reeder on the phone. i tried to let Bionic Reading grow on me but it didn't work :(

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

just go to the drat site

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

qirex posted:

just go to the drat site

nah

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

qirex posted:

just go to the drat site

what is wrong with you

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing

rowkey bilbao
Jul 24, 2023
at some point I had a python running in ~the cloud~ that pulled a selection of articles from a bunch of sites, sent them to my pocket account which was synced to my kobo, rotated daily. Iirc reliably scrapping non rss websites to find content was a headache and I stopped.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

post hole digger posted:

what is wrong with you

I’d rather websites with articles continue to exist instead of everything being a newsletter or xitter thread

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

used the power of scraping-to-rss to track when i could order a professional iphone from the airline miles store

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
that virgin api user vs chad screenscraper thing is absolute 100% truth

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
scraping to rss is a classic case of, we want normies to go to the site and generate ad dollars, but I am happy to find a way around it myself

is it like being a landlord??

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
sure, why not

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

qirex posted:

I’d rather websites with articles continue to exist instead of everything being a newsletter or xitter thread

inoreader will send those to an rss feed for me too :smugmrgw:

100723_2
Oct 8, 2023
post your favorite rss algorithms

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

according to github, thread title might actually be true

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

hmmz looks like youtube broke their rss feeds for user channels, they're all throwin up 404s now

I only followed a couple youtube feeds and I was on the fence about keeping them anyway so :byewhore:

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Dijkstracula posted:

according to github, thread title might actually be true

hell yeah, the only thing keeping rss from dominating in 2023 was that there were literally 0 readers, all those websites producing their quality rss feeds full of information will finally be useful

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

hell yeah, the only thing keeping rss from dominating in 2023 was that there were literally 0 readers, all those websites producing their quality rss feeds full of information will finally be useful

it says "reader" not "feed"

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

computer world news dominated by proliferation of rss readers with nothing to read

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

would be kinda rad to see a resurgence thanks to twitter dying but i expect that won’t happen

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

well at least zero readers popular among people I follow on github dot com :smug:

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

A surprising number of websites still quietly support RSS though I can’t honestly say theyre always serving up quality.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

many if not most of the larger cms platforms all support it so it’s often just a default thing that website owners may or may not mess with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

it certainly was my last memories of rss before google reader shut down: more and more feeds went either dead or started serving up a clickbait title and nothing else.