Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is our favorite RSS reader
This poll is closed.
Whatever comes with my web browser 3 6.25%
google reader 6 12.50%
digg 2 4.17%
thunderbird 3 6.25%
outlook 3 6.25%
netnewswire 6 12.50%
feedburner 1 2.08%
freshrss 1 2.08%
tiny tiny rss 1 2.08%
large large rss 2 4.17%
yarr 1 2.08%
jarr 1 2.08%
bubo reader 1 2.08%
commandfeed 1 2.08%
goeland 1 2.08%
kriss 1 2.08%
leed 1 2.08%
leselys 1 2.08%
miniflux 2 4.17%
moonmoon 1 2.08%
newsblur 4 8.33%
newsdash 1 2.08%
newspipe 1 2.08%
politepol 1 2.08%
rss fulltext proxy 2 4.17%
Total: 18 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

https://www.niemanlab.org/2022/12/this-is-the-year-of-the-rss-reader-really/

Even when it really was the year of the RSS reader I wasn't into RSS. I just didn't have enough sources for me to use a reader, or too many sources and I just gave up. I only use 1-2 websites for news so I used to go there directly (and still do). So in short this is not the year of the RSS reader.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I've had feedly since it launched and it's real good and worth the $4/month and rss is also good

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

How many sources do you use?

I like RSS for sure but like... I don't "follow" any bloggers to make it worthwhile.

Like hacker news is my "aggregator" if I have any.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Oh and I do like RSS because I used to use it with IFTTT so whenever my work's blog made a post, my work twitter automatically tweeted it and I looked like I was totally on the ball and Engaged.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

I also use the Feedly and concur with the goodness of it.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

I'm sorry I didn't put it in the poll :(

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

several dozen? I have like 4 local news sites, a bunch of design and photo blogs, a bunch of stereo/home theater sites, a few video game ones and several niche watch and sneaker sites

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
i use newsblur on the reeder app op

its fine but i never check it because it turns out that twitter + email newsletters are a much better way to get the interesting news in front of my eyes anyway

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

qirex posted:

I've had feedly since it launched and it's real good and worth the $4/month and rss is also good

same except i just use the free version

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

i run miniflux on a $5 digitalocean instance (alongside a bunch of other stuff) and point reeder 4 at it

ps reeder 5 is functionally identical to 4, they just want you to buy it again

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator
I use inoreader and it works pretty well. Was on feedly before but don't remember why I switched

Mostly just use it for Youtube though, I'm amazed that the channel rss endpoints haven't been axed yet

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Progressive JPEG posted:

i run miniflux on a $5 digitalocean instance (alongside a bunch of other stuff) and point reeder 4 at it

ps reeder 5 is functionally identical to 4, they just want you to buy it again

i like supporting small developers of software i really like op, especially when they don't do it as a subscription

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

a few of my favorite sites killed off rss this year but I’ll keep clinging to that outdated garbage.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

feedbro has a terrible name, but it tells me when my podcast feeds update so i will forgive it

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
there already was a year of rs on the s: 2008

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Substack has made it a big point that they support RSS for all of the blogs they host. If anything is going to result in an RSS reader renaissance, that would likely be it. (Which then makes you wonder if we really want it to happen if it has to happen that way.)

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

nominating fiery feeds as another reader with a bunch of customization. it's pay for some features, i forget which, but i gladly pay to make sure someone makes an rss reader that conforms to my very specific weirdo customizations

carry on then posted:

i like supporting small developers of software i really like op, especially when they don't do it as a subscription

yeah, fiery feeds is a :10bux: sub and i'd balk, but they seem responsive and attentive to bugs and additional features so i'm okay with supporting them recurringly

neosloth posted:

I use inoreader and it works pretty well. Was on feedly before but don't remember why I switched

i use feedly for syncing (though fiery feedssyncs in icloud if it's local) after years of wrestling with tinytinyrss. ttrss's dev used to be a mega rear end in a top hat on their support forums, so when my local instance tanked i went to feedly and was glad to not have to janitor my sql db of feeds because they hosed up a patch release

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.
I went back to using netnewswire once it got sold back to the original dev and resurrected

I still have 100+ feeds from back in the day; dunno how many of them are really still active. mostly food and music related.

i'm always surprised when i find a site i want to follow and it actually has a .rss feed.

i don't need no fancy features, just tell me when theres a post

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I have a kobo libra h20 2 and it’s extremely needs suiting

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

my wife’s kobo battery is super poo poo I don’t know why

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

I hate her kobo

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
what a shame. mine is good

tbf I had an older kobo which I liked, but would crash if it got too flat or charged for too long

this one I have is very good

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

what sort of psychopath uses an rss feed in 2012

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

i use rss feeds to keep up on my favorite subaru blog posts on the US release of the WRX STi because it's 2004 and i'm daniel tosh

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I need to use it again I think. It's been a while.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

i should start again but honestly besides like 2-3 sites i read regularly i feel like rss has been obliterated

there are several youtube channels i'd like updates on without signing into youtube, gotta see if that has rss

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

How is newsboat not an option?

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

I just grabbed whatever rss readers I remembered or were listed in the wikipedia article.

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no
I have never and I will never use an RSS .

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

OMGVBFLOL posted:

lol

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Share Bear posted:

there are several youtube channels i'd like updates on without signing into youtube, gotta see if that has rss

it does

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
rss? more like rear end

HamAdams
Jun 29, 2018

yospos

echinopsis posted:

rss? more like rear end

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Sweevo posted:

feedbro has a terrible name, but it tells me when my podcast feeds update so i will forgive it

I'm going with this one because it's the most popular one in the curated list of firefox addons in this category.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
used to like rss then i just stopped idk

a lot of sites went to Read More... bullshit

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I liked the idea of .. wanna say pocket? the plug-in where you’d hit a button and then later on in bed my KOBO (not bezo branded paperWHITE(supremacy) ereader) would sync and you could read your articles about the trendiest kernel panics in bed on glorious e-ink

but I never really did that

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

OMGVBFLOL posted:

hahah

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Jonny 290 posted:

used to like rss then i just stopped idk

a lot of sites went to Read More... bullshit

fiery feeds has a toggle that can be set per-feed to fetch the full site and reader-mode it. it's practically the only way to read half my tech rss feeds :sigh:

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

miniflux and reeder both do that too, i think it just scrapes what it thinks the main content is. sorta surprising how well it works

itll still fail if the article went ultra hostile with dividing up content into multiple pages but otherwise Just Works

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tmesis
Jan 18, 2007

sup holmes
Megamarm
post your opml files folks