Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

galagazombie posted:

Did anyone honestly expect them to let us have two Mauvier’s after seeing his identical outfit? Actually that would have been hilarious. Just straight up give us a clone unit with identical stats, bases, appearance, and support conversations.

Have them act as a dual unit, like when you have Glenn wield both worlds’ Einlanzers in Chrono Chross.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

ROFL Octopus posted:

Have them act as a dual unit, like when you have Glenn wield both worlds’ Einlanzers in Chrono Chross.
they have a support with each other thats just solemn nodding

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Important service announcement: mage cannoneer absolutely does work with Lucina's Dual Strike skill. Sadly the chain attacks don't seem to inflict poison or other status effects, but it's pretty fun to have every single player phase attack start off with a cannonball to the face.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

This is my first time trying Wave 3 of the DLC but goddamn Mage Knight Pandreo with Chrom goes hard. +10 Magic is completely insane on a unit with high Build and Speed.

I know Sword Power comes late for him but that combined with a forged Levin Sword (dirt cheap) is some absurd damage stacking.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Started Fire Emblem ENGAGE last night. I've only played Awakening, and then a few hours of Fates Birthright but it didn't grab me (too much guff with the pocket time baby soldier dimension i think). I have a friend who loves the franchise and she's been saying that she didn't care for the story, but she greatly enjoyed the gameplay.

I can see loving why because this isn't some kingdoms at war story, this is motherfucking Kamen Rider Decade/Zi-O and/or Gokaiger/Zenkaiger. That's a loving Tokusatsu OP and a henshin and these first chapters you're fighting toku goons. Someone at Intelligent Systems really put his toku dvds on the table during the board meeting about how to make an anniversary Fire Emblem game.

cardinale
Jul 11, 2016

yes, it rules

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

cardinale posted:

yes, it rules

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

cardinale posted:

yes, it rules

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Yes, once you know exactly what it wants to be, it's a blast.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

cardinale posted:

yes, it rules

M.Matsuda
May 9, 2014

May the Sacred Flame shine forth!

MorningMoon posted:

Started Fire Emblem ENGAGE last night. I've only played Awakening, and then a few hours of Fates Birthright but it didn't grab me (too much guff with the pocket time baby soldier dimension i think). I have a friend who loves the franchise and she's been saying that she didn't care for the story, but she greatly enjoyed the gameplay.

I can see loving why because this isn't some kingdoms at war story, this is motherfucking Kamen Rider Decade/Zi-O and/or Gokaiger/Zenkaiger. That's a loving Tokusatsu OP and a henshin and these first chapters you're fighting toku goons. Someone at Intelligent Systems really put his toku dvds on the table during the board meeting about how to make an anniversary Fire Emblem game.

yes, and it rocks.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

cardinale posted:

yes, it rules

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Really enjoy every part of hte presentation so far. Did not really care for the dragon mommy but i'm very into pretty much everything else and i'm hoping a map turns out to be the abandoned warehouse, if not at least a quarry or three. BUT YOU AIN'T GETTING ANY MORE POSTS FROM ME FOR A FEW MONTHS BECAUSE THE XENOBLADE 3 DLC IS NEXT WEEK AND THEN TEARS OF THE KINGDOM

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I like the one random Corrupted that's able to fight off Marth and Alear combined for half a minute.

You go, random zombie dude.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Going off that cutscene and the bandit at the beginning of 3 Houses that probably would have killed all the royals if not for Byleth's bs magical time powers, clearly the best time to defeat a Lord is when they are level 1 and without their Jeigan around.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
ive been thinking about chapter 21/22 of engage again for the past couple days and IMO it still rules extremely hard

pretty much all of the VAs in the game are great, but f!Alear & Veyle's voice actors really do knock it out of the park

edit: also i specifically love how they handle the emblems in that scene - griss's earlier reveal that alear was sombron's kid was kind of obvious, but the additional reveal that she's been doing the fell dragon version without realizing it was cool. When she re-summons marth, the regular invocation method doesn't work, but it does when she leans a lot harder on the prayer aspect of the summoning. It's a nice touch!!!!

Blaziken386 fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Apr 22, 2023

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/SerenesForest/status/1652948406111817729

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

I have bought every western release of fire emblem since they started coming out and, until very recently, played a total of 0 of them.

I just completed the very first western release on the gameboy advance.

My thoughts are:

I enjoyed the gameplay (except 2 part final chapter, what a terrible slog). I disliked the story and pretty much all the characters. After chapter 20 I was skipping all the dialog and never felt I missed anything.

I’m reaching out to ask for help. Which western release fire emblem has the most refined gameplay? I really had fun playing the GBA game.

Story doesn’t matter because I’ll likely end up skipping it. If it does have a good story, that’s a bonus.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

I have bought every western release of fire emblem since they started coming out and, until very recently, played a total of 0 of them.

My thoughts are:

I enjoyed the gameplay (except 2 part final chapter, what a terrible slog). I disliked the story and pretty much all the characters. After chapter 20 I was skipping all the dialog and never felt I missed anything.

I’m reaching out to ask for help. Which western release fire emblem has the most refined gameplay? I really had fun playing the GBA game.

Story doesn’t matter because I’ll likely end up skipping it. If it does have a good story, that’s a bonus.

You should ask in the other fire emblem thread, but honestly it’s probably this one (Engage) unless you have unusual tastes. If you love character building and difficult puzzles it might be Conquest. If on the other hand you don’t think you’d like anything significantly more complicated than the game you played it might be Radiant Dawn. And some people love Thracia 776 but I haven’t played it so I’m not sure what sort of person has that opinion; and it doesn’t have a western release anyway (though it does have a good fan translation).

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

My thoughts are:

- Sacred Stones is just a refined version of the first western release and mildly easier

- Path of Radiance is the first 3d game and introduces its own elements and is probably the most well written game in the series but normal NA mode is Japanese easy and the real hardest difficulty was never localized so you want to play on hard if you don't want to sleep walk through it and the 3d animations can be gruelling to sit through

-Radiant Dawn is the sequel to that one and is the biggest and most unwieldy of the western releases as far as single campaigns go which means it has some of the highest highs and lowest lows in a single game, mostly mechanically. It shares a lot of the same weaknesses as Path of Radiance along with its own unique ones and has weaker writing but is still the only game that adds map elevation as an aspect of gameplay

- Awakening is a massive regression gameplay wise and leans more on nostalgia and couple matchmaking, more Disgaea number go big than anything inherent to the series

- Fates Conquest is probably the most refined in the sense that you can feel the developers actively loving with you on every map, there's deliberate thought in every tile and enemy placement and it unfucks Awakening's gameplay gimmicks and takes a lot of the excessive rng out of them

- Three Houses is in sort of a midway point between the previous two in terms of gameplay and mechanics but sprinkles Persona style sim poo poo on top and is the first game to bother with world building since Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn

-Engage has the most going on mechanically but relies on a lot of nostalgia and gameplay assumptions that you might not have if you've only played a gba game in addition to the new stuff it adds, I would play one more from a different era for at least a few hours before jumping to that

Perfect Potato fucked around with this message at 06:36 on May 6, 2023

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Would definitely recommend Engage if you’re all about the gameplay, and also maybe New Mystery of the Emblem if you’re not adverse to emulating old vanilla DS* games and inserting a translation patch. Hope your Fire Emblem journey goes well!

*or doing homebrew on a 3DS

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Thank you all for your suggestions. It sounds like, even if I won't be able to fully appreciate the references and cast of Engage, it is the best one to jump into next. Sounds like the highest highs are the Gamecube and Wii ones and I'll save them for the end.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
There’s also a pretty big romhack scene to dip into once you’ve satiated the canon. Some of them are even good!

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

MorningMoon posted:

Really enjoy every part of hte presentation so far. Did not really care for the dragon mommy but i'm very into pretty much everything else and i'm hoping a map turns out to be the abandoned warehouse, if not at least a quarry or three. BUT YOU AIN'T GETTING ANY MORE POSTS FROM ME FOR A FEW MONTHS BECAUSE THE XENOBLADE 3 DLC IS NEXT WEEK AND THEN TEARS OF THE KINGDOM

Six months later and I'm at chapter 22. I've been enjoying it plenty but it's a side game for me between major switch releases or to play before bed when I'm mostly using my PS5. Goal is to finish before next week Friday for obvious reasons.

Fun cast of freakazoids. Main story is indeed a weak anniversary toku show. Very enjoyable maps. Ch22 lol at alear dying but lady veyle gets her dramatic moment rescuing the cast from despair with the OP playing... Except gameplay can't support a combat section for this moment, and the budget can't support acting, so jrock is blaring while everyone stands in place expressionless after 7 minutes of doing that.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

double post but holy poo poo, there's no way the final 4 chapters give me as much of a high as Marth's paralogue just did. Went straight to Marth. one turn prep, second turn mostly prep and then break the door, summon clones in front of it. third turn Chloe with Sigurd OVERRIDE on the train of goons lined up that let me put some damage into marth. Warp Ragnarok. Hortensia and Seadall team up to teleport 6 people up in Marth's studio apartment. Kill the couple goons there with weaker units so the heavy hitters get some clean hits in. Pandreo has Byleth so he does the hustle and everyone hits Marth all over again. Ivy got 2 attacks in and she's got that dragonic hex so he's been debuffed twice. The final attack was Kagetsu, with two 30 damage hits, when Marth had like 20 HP left. Goddamn I'm still riding that high. This game is so hyperaggressive i love it.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

MorningMoon posted:

double post but holy poo poo, there's no way the final 4 chapters give me as much of a high as Marth's paralogue just did. Went straight to Marth. one turn prep, second turn mostly prep and then break the door, summon clones in front of it. third turn Chloe with Sigurd OVERRIDE on the train of goons lined up that let me put some damage into marth. Warp Ragnarok. Hortensia and Seadall team up to teleport 6 people up in Marth's studio apartment. Kill the couple goons there with weaker units so the heavy hitters get some clean hits in. Pandreo has Byleth so he does the hustle and everyone hits Marth all over again. Ivy got 2 attacks in and she's got that dragonic hex so he's been debuffed twice. The final attack was Kagetsu, with two 30 damage hits, when Marth had like 20 HP left. Goddamn I'm still riding that high. This game is so hyperaggressive i love it.

The paralouges are so good.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

mycatscrimes posted:

The paralouges are so good.

I really like the preambles on them where like, Ike talks about being a mercenary cooped up in a church having to fight to survive, or one of the characters talking about how they had to fight with Ike to determine how to save this town of cursed people, or how Lynn's village was wiped off the map and other stuff i'm half remembering, and Alear, who is just dealing with super sentai villains who quickly fold and turn good after talking about their sad family lives, just goes "that's rough :/" but also this complex tragic scenario really just teaches you about friendship.

This is really, really the anniversary toku show of Fire Emblem because the main plot is nothing but every character is fun and the cameo cast is all busted strong. What a good one for my second ever fire emblem.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Blitzing straight for the boss is basically the best way to handle the throne room that map is based on in high difficulties of FE12 so it's a very fitting thing to do here.

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

That is a really fun paralogue. I've never actually rushed the boss though. I usually use some sort of terrain cheese right at the one-tile entrance to pick off the units around Marth and chip him down until I feel confident to run in. I'm way better at Coward Emblem than I am at Rush Emblem.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Most of the paralogues were well done. RiP Lucina for essentially serving as a tutorial though.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Pureauthor posted:

Most of the paralogues were well done. RiP Lucina for essentially serving as a tutorial though.

Not a fan of the Camilla one. They really should have gone with the harbor map and had you doing a desperate defense rather then an annoyingly long slog.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Hunt11 posted:

Not a fan of the Camilla one. They really should have gone with the harbor map and had you doing a desperate defense rather then an annoyingly long slog.

This and the way the dlc campaign were handled are my two biggest complaints about Engage overall I think.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Educational Games posted:

This and the way the dlc campaign were handled are my two biggest complaints about Engage overall I think.

Isn’t that the same complaint? :v:

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Last Celebration posted:

Isn’t that the same complaint? :v:

By the dlc campaign I mean the side missions that use your character skills but at fixed levels and all the other weird junk, not the paralogues. All of the dlc paralogues besides Camilla's I generally enjoyed.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Hunt11 posted:

The fact that they had two bites at the apple when picking a Fates map and neither were Conquest 10 is truly embarrassing on their end.

There's a few misses amongst the paralogues in general. I guess picking two wide open fields for Awakening is accurate to the game but there are actually interesting maps they could have picked. Eirika's paralogue is in a similar spot where it made me realize that FE8 actually has a ton of banger maps they could have chosen instead

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
River of Regrets and Last Hope would've both been fun with Engage mechanics. Alas.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Finished engage last night with hours to spare for spider-man and mario lol. Really liked it! Skipped the last wave of dudes on the final boss, for a story about alear learning about family and all that poo poo, he did little to help when Amber and Kagetsu knocked down like 340 HP together. Easy 9/10, a lot of very good maps and fights, very rewarding when you figure out how psycho you can go.

The story wasn't great, but gently caress me, i've been into Toku since like 5 years old. Literally started learning English with Power Rangers, so when Alear does a speech about Kizuna and both sets of allies do the sentai lineups, one of which is after a full-on henshin rollcall, well, I popped. The villains that die and open up to each other during their deaths was also very, very good. Very strong last few hours.

Clocked at 74 hours.

The credits made me lose my goddamned mind because I never noticed I had Alfred killed like 4 hours into the game. His portrait was gray and the game told me he was defeated in Firene Castle. I kept making fun of him in cutscenes because I never used him

also did Classic/Hard the whole way through ok now i go pick up mario and spider-man

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Alfred's cool, you hosed up

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Your Uncle Dracula posted:

River of Regrets and Last Hope would've both been fun with Engage mechanics. Alas.

Scorched Sand is a desert map that’s actually awesome, though I don’t know how good it would be without all the major story elements going on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Scorched Sand would be excellent, especially if you wanted to make Ephraim and Eirika seperate bosses in place of Valter and Calleach respectively. You could also do something with Chapter 8 where Eirika is on the throne but Ephraim can arrive with reinforcements like he does usually except they're enemy reinforcements this time.

Unfortunately this would require giving Ephraim voiced dialogue so IntSys would never do it.

You could make it Queen of White Dunes too, Eirika having the Wind Sword as an engage weapon was already giving me war flashbacks to it