Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

RELEASE DATE: JANUARY 20 2023

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ExaJIB5Phk

That's right my fellow technicolored Fire Emblem fans, it's time for the next mainline Fire Emblem game! Fire Emblem Engage! It's been three and a half years since Three Houses, and this train just keeps chugging on! This time, we're leaving our school days behind and doing a superhero tokusatsu! Raise your ring high and shout EMBLEM ENGAGE!, and you too will be able to fight evil together with your friends, Marth and Roy!

STORY

quote:

Once every 1,000 years, legendary heroes called Emblems grant incredible power to the one who holds the 12 Emblem Rings. As the ritual nears, Alear – the Divine Dragon of prophecy – awakens to collect the rings and bring peace to the land.

However, Sombron – the Fell Dragon and ancient nemesis of the Divine Dragon – has also risen and seeks the rings for his own evil gain. Only Alear and those loyal to the Divine Dragon stand between Sombron and total destruction…

In Fire Emblem Engage you play as Alear (or another name of your choosing), one of the Divine Dragons and savior of the world a thousand years past. Alear, unlike Byleth, talks back in conversations and is not Persona-style mute. You awaken once more to do battle with evil, but you've forgotten everything that happened back then. Gather the 12 Emblem Rings and banish the darkness once more!

These special rings house great heroes, Emblems, of eld and legends, by which I mean some of the previous mainline Fire Emblem game protagonists.

GAMEPLAY

We've graduated from Three Houses, and are back in more standard Fire Emblem territory. Weapon-locked classes! The weapon triangle! If you've played a previous Fire Emblem game (no one's gonna narc to Nintendo if you emulate FE7 or 8 ;)) you should feel right at home! There's three new major mechanics to go over.

First is the Break mechanic, as seen above. If you land an attack against an enemy (that does more than 0 damage) wielding a weapon that trumps its type (swords -> axes -> lances -> swords), you Break the enemy, forcing them to drop their weapon for the next round of combat. They won't be able to counterattack, so that's the time to send in a frailer unit to snag some experience! You can also inflict Break by Smashing enemies into walls!

https://i.imgur.com/DqpBvKG.mp4

However, there's an exception: you cannot break Armor Knights or Generals. This is because they have the "Armor" type. And that brings us to the next new mechanic in Engage!

Goldmary here is a Hero, with the type of Backup. Any class that belongs to the "Backup" group is able to get a small hit in on an enemy when a friendly attacks that enemy, as long as the Backup unit itself is able to attack!
Other types inclue Qi Adept, which are able to block enemy attacks on adjacent allies once per turn, at the cost of 20% of their own health, and Covert, which doubles all positive terrain bonuses. Having a healthy balance of types may be a good thing to have! These types also determine if they gain any special effects with their Engaged Emblems. Speaking of which!

Which brings us to the biggest major new mechanic, the EMBLEM ENGAGE!! that gives this game its name. As you collect the Emblem Rings, you're able to equip them, letting your units house the spirits of these heroes, increasing their stats and giving them unique skills and abilities. As you can see, Marth's Divine Speed and Lodestar Rush skills have a Type Bonus with Alear's Dragon type, which means Alear gets extra effects from those skills.

Then, once in combat, you're able to Engage with them, transforming your body and giving you access to new, super-powerful skills and their own personal weapons that when properly used can turn the tide of battle in one single action. Engaging lasts three turns, and if you want to do it again after that you've got to kill enemies to charge up your meter.

By Engaging with and bonding with these Emblems, you'll not only make them stronger, but give you the ability to "buy" their skills and slot them onto your units, even when they don't have that ring equipped. Additionally, they teach your units how to be proficient in some of their own weapons of choice, allowing your own units to reclass once they're proficient enough in another class's weapon type!

That's about it! There's plenty other mechanics and stuff going on under the hood, but that's to be discovered in game (or talked about, in this thread).

FAQ

Do I need to have played any previous FE game before this one?
Nope! Although protagonists from previous games appear through the rings, they have very limited story and character interactions and are mostly flavor. No previous game's story has any relevance to Engage's.

Is there any base like in Three Houses in this game? It got kinda annoying near the end and for repeat playthroughs...
There is a base, Somniel, in which you can buy items and forge weapons and all that, and it also houses minigames and other fun activities. However, it is not nearly as necessary for character progression as the Monastery was in Three Houses. Think of it as a slightly expanded version of your base in Fire Emblem Fates instead, with opportunities to gain extra materials and temporary stat bonuses. There's also no calendar system, and you walk around on the world map, like in Fire Emblem Awakening.

How do weapons work?
Weapons, like in Fates and Shadows of Valentia, have infinite durability. Some have special effects, like the Thunder tome having 1-3 range but being unable to attack twice, or the Heavy weapons, which makes you always attack last, but push the enemy back a square after combat. Knives return as a weapon type and are able to inflict Poison, a stackable defense debuff (the mechanics of which are yet unknown, will update). Fisticuffs also return as a weapon type, but this time they're more martial arts than brawling. From theorycrafting, it seems their damage formula is (Str+Mag)/2, against the enemy's Def.

Is there romance/marriage/child units in this game?
We have not seen any S-ranks for support conversations, including Alear, though that does not mean there can't be paired romantic endings. We have seen no sign of a second generation.

Can you rewind turns? Is there a restriction?
Yes, you can. The exact specifications are unknown, but it seems you can rewind up to 10 times on Hard/Classic.

Terper fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jan 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

hype

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
game is gonna be good

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I loving love Sommie so much he's such a lil' guy

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Terper posted:

I loving love Sommie so much he's such a lil' guy

Really all we need to know.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
this game looks stupid as poo poo

I'm gonna play it

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Thank God, fishing is back.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

theshim posted:

I'm gonna play it

:hmmyes:

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Yeah Im not going to lie, I pretty much hate almost every detail of the main characters design.

Sinistral
Jan 2, 2013
The main character designs are eye searingly bad. It’s almost impressive. Also Engage is a dumb name.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

theshim posted:

I'm gonna play it

:yeah:

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Smh they don't let you marry the rings.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
I’m gonna fire that emblem

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

Pureauthor posted:

Smh they don't let you marry the rings.

we don't know that!!!

i hope you have to choose between marrying marth and evil marth

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Can't wait to meet my new friend evil Marth

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The dog fuckin owns, all the characters look neat, this game is gonna kick rear end.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Main character looks kinda dumb but otoh so do I so it's perfect

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

my hypes been steadily building for this as of lately and now aaaaa 13 more days!!!

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

Ike

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Ike’s iconic weapon, HAMMER

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Its how he killed the Black Knight

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Cant wait to engage some waifus with my MC, Colgate-chan

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013
Imagine being so lame you include byleth in your game and not hector

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

They're using Lyn and not Hector

Byleth is from another game

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Will you be using Engages to bolster unit's existing strengths, going 'with' the flow as it were (ie Marth goes on Alear because they get that bonus from being a Dragon, giving Sigurd to someone mounted, etc), or will you be using them to expand options on other units (ie by using Celica on, say, Chloe so she can cross-train into magic classes)?

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Alear looks stupid and I dislike the engage mechanic being based in nostalgia. I am also worried about how strong the Break and Engage mechanics will be.

Everything else looks cool. Rosado is cute, Hortensia is cute, Ivy is cool, the female armor knight whose name I cannot remember looks cool, and maybe armors will actually be good this game!

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Junpei posted:

Will you be using Engages to bolster unit's existing strengths, going 'with' the flow as it were (ie Marth goes on Alear because they get that bonus from being a Dragon, giving Sigurd to someone mounted, etc), or will you be using them to expand options on other units (ie by using Celica on, say, Chloe so she can cross-train into magic classes)?

I find being a generalist rarely works out in fire emblem

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I will play and enjoy this game because I have no taste in FE games.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I hate that I find the gameplay from this looking really good because everything else is such that it will only make me irate if I play the drat thing. I hate that this is FE for the next few years.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Eimi posted:

I hate that I find the gameplay from this looking really good because everything else is such that it will only make me irate if I play the drat thing. I hate that this is FE for the next few years.

Open up your heart and accept the anime into it

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Tism the Dragon Tickler posted:

Open up your heart and accept the anime into it

It should be like the anime I like and not like the anime I don't like.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Maybe seriously don't play it, judging by the last 3 years unless you want to be the equivalent of the 500 hour ff15 weirdo here that hated every second

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Tae posted:

Maybe seriously don't play it, judging by the last 3 years unless you want to be the equivalent of the 500 hour ff15 weirdo here that hated every second

I've watched both seasons of Picard so I am really bad when it comes to not making choices that will cause me nothing but pain.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Eimi posted:

It should be like the anime I like and not like the anime I don't like.

Peak anime aesthetic is 90s anime, and I’m irate Sigurd doesn’t have his gigantic poofy mullet anymore

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I will play and enjoy this game because I have no taste in FE games.

I think I will enjoy it because I have great taste

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

ROFL Octopus posted:

Peak anime aesthetic is 90s anime, and I’m irate Sigurd doesn’t have his gigantic poofy mullet anymore

Sommie loving wishes it looked as cute as Pochita. :colbert:

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Adbot