Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Sad to be going after Ross when he is one of the only people with a not broken football brain who can enjoy the sport for what it is and cheer for the team he likes most division rival or not.

As someone who not only wants to win, but must the Packers must also fail I am extremely jealous of him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Paint Crop Pro posted:

Sad to be going after Ross when he is one of the only people with a not broken football brain

hah

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Being passionate and emotional about sports is fun. That’s the point. We live in late stage capitalism and nothing matters. Let me feel something, anything, in this numb heart of mine.

Broncos country let’s ride

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Being passionate and emotional about sports is fun. That’s the point. We live in late stage capitalism and nothing matters. Let me feel something, anything, in this numb heart of mine.

Broncos country let’s ride

Broncos Country? Lets ride.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

a neat cape posted:

Yeah post the dumb letter from 15 years ago when I was in my early 20s. Totally the same as you melting down about a game that doesn't involve your team. This definitely proves your point.

Dexo posted:

That can't be 15 years ago.

fartknocker posted:

The game that caused it was September 14th, 2008.

A.o.D. posted:

n-no

NO

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Racing Stripe
Oct 22, 2003

This was a good Bengals season. I'm pretty mad about the result in the AFCCG, but I'm not going to go so far as to say the refs screwed the Bengals in particular. Instead, I'll say that the refs were far more involved than one would ever want, with enough penalty yards handed out both ways that it marred the viewing experience and distorted the result to the point that any close final score is going to leave a lot of people unsatisfied. The taunting penalty against KC was bullshit. The missed late hit on Burrow was bullshit. The refs suck.

It's disappointing because, from like weeks 7 - 15 or so, it really seemed like this offensive line was fixed. Then, one o-line starter went down with what ended up being season-ending injuries three weeks in a row. The team was pretty lucky with injuries up until then, though losing Chase for six* games and Awuzie for the rest of the season hurt. Still, the cornerback depth held up pretty well, and Chase came back good as new with only one loss during his absence. When Collins got hurt, though, it seemed pretty ominous, then Karras and Cappa dropped too and suddenly all that work improving the offensive line was gone, just in time for the playoffs. Winning two playoff games with a busted offensive line is pretty hard, and I'm impressed with what the team was able to do in Buffalo. Winning three or four was just too much to ask.

Zac Taylor clearly isn't going anywhere, so there's no sense in worrying about whether he's the guy, but I feel better about the coaching situation right now than I did after last season ended. When he lost a million* games in 2019, I wanted him fired. When he let Burrow get injured behind a lovely offensive line in 2020, I wanted him gone. When they picked Chase instead of Sewell I thought that it was a mistake. Now, I think you can't really argue with the results. I'm not an X's and O's guy, so I can only look at the big-picture stuff. Under Taylor, the incredible QB prospect that they were exceedingly lucky to be able to draft has been playing extremely well, and that has led to five playoff wins, the first I've ever seen from this team. The offense and defense are both good, which is also something I've never seen before. Under Marvin Lewis, usually one was good and the other sucked, and sometimes they both sucked. IIRC Lewis had a top-ten* offense and defense only twice, in 2005 and again in some Dalton season. Taylor has now had a good/very good offense and defense in two consecutive years. I don't know how much credit he deserves for that, but he at least has picked good coordinators and avoided loving things up. The players seem to like him, too.

Once again, we go into the offseason with the offensive line clearly being priority #1. I think they're in a better spot than they were last season, with more talent on the roster, but we need some better depth or something. Maybe you can't realistically amass enough talent to weather the loss of three starters, but the line looked iffy even with everyone healthy at times. I think we gotta target o-line in the early rounds of the draft.

From 2004 - 2019 I saw the Bengals go to the playoffs seven* times and win zero games. Now, in two years, I have seen them win five playoff games. It's pretty unreal. I'm unhappy that things ended the way they did, but this season I could turn on the game and realistically expect my team to win against anyone, which is absolutely a new experience. It rules.

*approximate figure that I think is correct and won't look up to confirm

Racing Stripe fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jan 30, 2023

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/jstaley74/status/1619912909332836352
lol

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Pulling a Who Are You card to a guy who was all pro like 5 times is pretty funny

Edit 6 pro bowls 3 all pros.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

after hearing KT's appearances on the ATN podcast since he was drafted I am exactly 0% surprised

go for a stroll
Sep 10, 2003

you'll never make it out alive

Pillbug

Racing Stripe posted:

This was a good Bengals season. I'm pretty mad about the result in the AFCCG, but I'm not going to go so far as to say the refs screwed the Bengals in particular. Instead, I'll say that the refs were far more involved than one would ever want, with enough penalty yards handed out both ways that it marred the viewing experience and distorted the result to the point that any close final score is going to leave a lot of people unsatisfied. The taunting penalty against KC was bullshit. The missed late hit on Burrow was bullshit. The refs suck.

This is how I feel about the whole league. Of course it always feels like my team is getting screwed, but even when I don't care who wins it's very rare to see a good, close game that feels like it was decided by the teams on the field.

Maybe it's an inevitable byproduct of a 500 page rulebook, "holding on every play", etc. I wish there were a way to remove most the judgment calls and strip it down to 6 laws of american football or whatever while keeping the game recognizable. I've been watching and/or playing this sport for as long as I can remember and IMO it creates athletic spectacle no other sport can, but wins and losses are too dependent on the whims of a crew of 70 year old men to get wrapped up in them anymore.

go for a stroll fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jan 31, 2023

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

ref didn't seem like an issue to my rear end. need a big touchdown here

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Racing Stripe posted:

This was a good Bengals season. I'm pretty mad about the result in the AFCCG, but I'm not going to go so far as to say the refs screwed the Bengals in particular. Instead, I'll say that the refs were far more involved than one would ever want, with enough penalty yards handed out both ways that it marred the viewing experience and distorted the result to the point that any close final score is going to leave a lot of people unsatisfied.

Yeah I think this is a pretty fair way to state it. I don't think it's fair to say for sure at all that Bengals would have won without all the ref involvement but you just kind of come away feeling bleh about the whole thing.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Amy Pole Her posted:

Pulling a Who Are You card to a guy who was all pro like 5 times is pretty funny

Edit 6 pro bowls 3 all pros.

He pulled the same who are you card to Jeff Saturday after the criticism for the Snow Angel incident, Thibs is either just doing an OK Boomer troll response or just genuinely doesn't know or care about famous o-lineman from the past gen

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
He is absolutely just a loving moron and I'm glad the giants are stuck with his dumb rear end.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

He sounds like one of those guys that was pushed into football because of his size and was never really a fan of the game to begin with

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Applebees Appetizer posted:

He sounds like one of those guys that was pushed into football because of his size and was never really a fan of the game to begin with

I'm pretty sure he's just attempting to big time them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
What a little bitch having Strahan and a kicker defend you.

Giants are NO LONGER my friend