Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
NO WINNERS ALLOWED, GO AWAY IF YOUR TEAM IS STILL PLAYING

One of the few pleasures of missing the playoffs is complaining about what your favorite team did wrong, or in the case of raiders fans, how they were wronged by everyone else, actually. This is a thread to either whine a bunch, analyze why things went wrong, or post a year in review for your bum rear end squad.

one of these men should get fired, imo. Guess which one!

As the inevitable black Monday firings roll on you can feverishly pound the digital table, demanding that heads roll. You can also do that here.

it’s probably this guys fault your team lost. Blame him

If you want to complain about referees here go ahead although i will be calling you pathetic as I read your posts.

I always enjoy the NBA version of this thread and spent most of my probation yesterday typing an insane screed analyzing every titans position group. You know like a sane person. So yeah let’s get posting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Would've been nice if the Lions could've forced literally a single punt against Seattle!

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
I’ll go ahead and start with my aforementioned multipart blogpost. Do not replicate my crazy garbage ok?

Titan review

The titans finished with a losing record for the first time in Mike Vrabel’s tenure. They had an insane amount of injuries for the second year in a row. Let’s get comfortable, settle in for some light reading.

QB Room

Ryan Tannehill got beat up all year. Definitely his worst season here statistically. The ankle injury he had from week……uh six or seven? Onward? I don’t know. But it kept him from running effectively and hurt us in play action as well. Putting him behind this offensive line was a nightmare. Overall I think you can’t take a lot away from his results this year. It was bad but as far as the issues on this offense go, he’s basically at the bottom of the list. I think 2023 is definitely his last year here barring a deep playoff run.

Malik Willis looked awful but with (hopefully) a different play caller and offense installed I am hopeful he can have more time to develop in a system that isn’t run by a dipshit. Would prefer not to see as much of him next year because I would prefer to see tannehill healthy.

Josh Dobbs is a backup who has bounced around for a reason. With our injury issues being what they are I would like to see him sticking around depending on how things go with Willis.

RBs

Derrick Henry looked better than I expected coming off his injury. It was definitely this least efficient season but a lot of that is on the run blocking. I would imagine that statistically speaking he has never gotten hit behind the line faster and more frequently than this season. I’m good with running it back one more time in a new system (again, hopefully) with him and Tannehill.

Hassan Haskins and Julius Pepperwood Chestnut looked like JAGs. Dontrell Hilliard was a good pass catching option who was reliable for tannehill before he inevitably got injured. Think his was a knee so I’m not gonna hold my breath on having him back.

WR Room

Woof. Robert woods could not get separation at all, nick westbrook-ikhine could not get separation at all. NWI has never been fast necessarily but he definitely took a step back this year in that regard. Woods was coming off an ACL injury and was already getting up there agewise so not much of a surprise he wasn’t great but we needed more from him. Good hands though.

Treylon Burks was a mixed bag IMO. He missed a ton of time with injuries, felt like each time he had some momentum going he got dinged up again. When he was on the field I liked his game overall but he’s a very clear downgrade from the guy he replaced at this point. His YAC was a little worse then I expected and so were his hands but his routes were good and he’s definitely big enough to push dudes around a little more. I think it overall he showed a lot of promise but some clear things to work on.

None of the other dudes are worth talking about because aside from one nice catch by Racey McMath none of them did poo poo. Kyle Phillips had eight catches on twelve targets in the first game of the season and then disappeared into the ether. Woods is for sure getting cut for the cap savings, NWIs deal is up and unless he’s willing to come back for pennies I’d rather move on. Burks and Phillips are promising but the rest of these dudes can eat a dick. If racey can stay healthy I like him to stick around as depth but that’s it.

TE Room

Austin hooper was exactly what I expected, a good safety valve for all three quarterbacks but nothing more than that. His block whiff at the end of the second jags game blew that game for us. I don’t think he’s acquitted himself well enough either here or in Cleveland to get another big deal, and with the holes elsewhere on this team I would let him go at this point.

Chig Okonkwo rules, definitely my favorite pick from the last draft class. He is gonna get in Vrabels doghouse if he doesn’t clean up the sloppy stuff on the penalties but he is an excellent receiver already, a threat for big YAC opportunities, and he’s made improvements as a blocker. Whoever is in charge of the offense next season needs to utilize him as much as possible.

Geoff swaim is good at blocking, supposedly. I’m not convinced at this point. Anyway he should not be seeing more than one or two targets in a game and whoever comes in to run the show should go ahead and put those plays way down the list.

OL Room

Big Woof. Let’s just go from left to right.

Taylor Lewan looked pretty good before blowing his ACL again. He has no guaranteed money left on his deal and is probably going to get cut to save money. Sucks it had to end like this but if he can’t stay healthy you can’t justify that money. Good chance he retires.

Dennis Daley was probably the worst LT in the NFL. He got beaten consistently, had lots of penalties, and got waaaaay worse as the season went on. I think titans fans will probably burn down Nissan stadium if he is still on the team next year. I feel for him because after the nightmare of isaiah Wilson and the brief Bobby Hart time it stinks to see a guy who doesn’t seem to be a big dickhead who sucks this bad. Bye man.

Aaron brewer is a decent run blocker who is too undersized to hold up in pass protection. When paired with Daley he was even worse. Get this dude back on the bench, he is best suited as your swing guy and should not be starting at either guard position IMO.

Dillon radunz is a bad run blocker which has not endeared him to this teams coaching staff. I honestly think he could be a decent LG if the team is focused on passing the ball instead of feeding Henry. The philosophy needs to change for him to get that chance. Henry won’t be going anywhere until 2024 so I don’t see radunz getting another shot next year. Oh and he also tore his acl. Terrible JRob pick especially considering the rub on him was that he was undersized and raw.

Speaking of terrible moves by JRob, we signed Jamarco Jones to an FA deal to be a swing tackle or guard and he didn’t play a single snap all season. Cool cool cool.

Ben Jones was the best lineman standing after lewan got hurt but he’s old and beat to poo poo. Aaron brewer actually played ok when he slid over to start for him, I would not be upset to see him at center next year if he sticks around. I think Jones is probably a cap casualty. Good run homie, you were a warrior here. Corey levin was not great but hard to say how much of that was him and how much of that was what was happening around him.

Nate Davis was actually a little better this year than last year I think. But he was playing dinged up and then went to IR. I would like to see him back in the spirit of attempting some kind of continuity up front with him being basically the only good veteran we have at this point. Jordan roos filled in after he went down and there’s not much to say there IMO.

Nick Petit-Frere had two things up on the tackles drafted in 2021 and 2020: he actually got on the field and he was only a liability when you compared him to the rest of our week 1 starters. He was not good by any means but after the injuries started he was comfortably the least incompetent guy out there. He seems to have trouble on the inside moves from edge rushers which is why it would have been nice to get radunz next to him IMO. I know it’s not as easy as just swapping Nate Davis over to the left but whatever.

This position group tanked the rest of the offense. Whatever you want to say about the offensive coordinator and scheme (which I’m about to do), the offensive line was the number one problem here. The only starter who didn’t miss a single game was Aaron Brewer, who was bad. NPF played at least part of every game if I’m not mistaken and was, on the balance, mediocre at best. Otherwise everybody else on the line was either hurt, incompetent, or injured while displaying incompetence. Our wide receivers had terrible separation all season…..BUT isn’t it possible that this was exacerbated by them not having enough time to let routes develop because the quarterback is getting hit every other play? Our running backs had bad rushing averages….BUT they were also getting hit extremely fast because the line is run blocking poorly. Our quarterback spent most of his year on his back.

Offensive coaching

Todd downing sucked poo poo this year. Yes he had a lot of issues to deal with on the personnel side. The line was atrocious, his receivers couldn’t get separation and his quarterback who excels in play action, and in using his legs to extend things, couldn’t do that effectively because of the line issues. These are things that would have torpedoed the season no matter who was calling the shots. He also is a very good red zone play caller. Give him one flower for that because it’s important to be nice about something if I can.

That being said, the titans were the worst second half scoring team in the league and that goes squarely on Todd’s plate, the team could not make halftime adjustments and completely fell apart after two quarters in drat near every game this season. I think Vrabel was ready to move on after the DUI and expect the team will do so. The talent is not great but downing is absolutely not putting them in a place to succeed outside of the first fifteen plays of the game. I actually think the packers game and the second loss to the Jaguars were his best called games of the season which is saying a lot but he let himself get away from running Henry at weird times and let his backup QBs have a little too much rope to work with IMO. gently caress off todd. We also should move on from our OL coach Keith carter IMO. He’s not acquitting himself well.

DL Room

Tons of injuries! Woo woo! Bud Dupree was hurt a bunch and is for sure getting cut for cap savings. I’ll miss watching him play almost as much as I’ll miss watching his name pop up as Limited In Practice. The guy slated to start across from him tore his ACL in camp immediately after signing a huge deal and who knows what to expect from him going forward. Talk about a bad omen and an accurate preview of the rest of the season!!

Big Jeff was incredible right up until he hurt his ankle and was pretty nondescript from that point on. Pay this man immediately and get his ankle scoped or whatever. Denico autry was really good again but he wore down a bit as the year went on and then also got hurt. It wouldn’t be hugely shocking if he got cut but I hope he doesn’t. They need to use him more sparingly if he does stick around though.

Rashad weaver was ok filling in for Landry and I expect to see him splitting time with Landry once he is up and running again. Really want his court case to resolve one way or the other, if he gets found guilty then i hope he gets cut. Mario edwards and Demarcus Walker were both ok depth pieced, I’m expecting at least one of them back.

Teair tart deserves to get paid and I don’t think it’s gonna happen here unless they let autry go. Simmons needs to get his megadeal and they already have Landry making big bucks up front too. I really hope they find a way to make it work because Pop Tart rules.

Oh and it is such a bummer that ola adenyi couldn’t get healthy. I loved him last year.

Overall this is still probably the best position group on the team, the injuries just were too much by the end. They were on pace to finish top ten in sacks and are probably going to end up closer to 18th or so. Dupree is definitely gone, horrible contract from our former GM even if i liked the way he played.

LB Room

Let me think, in the final game of the year we were starting our 3rd and 5th string ILBs due to injuries. I think that about sums things up. David long was very good as usual and is due to get paid, hope it happens in Tennessee. Zach Cunningham barely played and was bad when he did, he’ll be getting cut for sure. Monty rice was the aforementioned 3rd stringer, he’ll definitely be in one of the starting roles next year. He was ok but pretty unremarkable. Dylan Cole was good on special teams but not good at actual linebackering. Jack gibbens (5th string) had a couple exciting flash plays and was terrible otherwise but he’s the fifth stringer for a reason.

Pay Long, cut Cunningham.

DB room

Another group with tons of injury issues. Kristian Fulton was hurt a lot and relatively ineffective when he did play. He’s playing himself out of a long term deal at this point IMO. Most fans of the team think he is a solid #1, I don’t see it. Roger mccreary looked like a rookie, he gave up like eight touchdowns but had some good work out there too. Caleb Farley looked horrible and then hurt his back again, who could have foreseen this??? Not our departed gm who drafted him because of his physical traits, ignoring his history of back injuries and his limited amount of time actually playing cornerback. Elijah molden was injured all season and played in like one game before reinjuring the same thing. Totally lost season for him. Everybody after these three fell into the box of UFAs and practice squad guys who were intermittently ok at best.

Safeties were ok. Byard had a couple bad games (Evan engram ate him for lunch in the first jags game) but overall was pro bowl level as usual. A step back from last year but not by much. Amani hooker got a nice new contract and proceeded to be hurt a ton and get played out of position a bunch, his usage was completely baffling to me. I think he is a good player but have no idea what we were thinking putting him in the slot. It would be one thing if he was playing well there but he didn’t. If this is the role they have planned for him going forward I would have preferred they didn’t pay him. Absolutely idiotic. Andrew adams came in from the steelers PS while hooker was hurt the first time and actually played pretty well, but he blew his knee out in week 17 so he’ll probably be toast going forward. Who knows.

When your cornerback group is so bad you are playing one of your starting safeties as a slot CB because he’s better than any of the other options, you know you are dealing with a bunch of bums. The titans had the worst pass defense in the league statistically and it’s not going to get better next season unless one of the top three guys listed takes a big step forward. I think the DBs coach needs to go ASAP, he made a poo poo sandwich with the poo poo talent he was given but that’s his job.

The defensive coordinator is not on the hot seat but something has to change with our pass defense for this team to go anywhere next season. The run defense is elite, the pass rush has a couple excellent pieces but needs to be reinforced, preferably with an early round pick or two depending on what happens with teair tart. The pass defense is the worst in the league, you gotta change your approach there, regardless of how many stiffs you were forced to start.

End of the day the team is too cash strapped to go after any big fish in free agency. There are four guys they will almost guaranteed move on from to free up cap space (woods, Dupree, Cunningham, Lewan) and a couple other guys who could end up getting cut as well if the new gm decides to blow it up (autry, tannehill, Ben Jones). The three most important free agents are David Long, Nate Davis, and Teair Tart. Ideally we want to get all three of those dudes locked up and get Simmons his long term deal done, but I would not be surprised to see one of those three walk. Probably tart if I had to guess but we’ll see. You never want to be in a position where you have to draft for need but IMO the titans have three pretty clear cut spots to target early. 1st round pick ideally needs to go to the best OL option available. Titans should be picking around 10th or so. Would prefer a tackle but an elite guard would be fine too. Until the OL is more functional the deficiencies of the other position groups don’t matter much. 2nd round pick would ideally go to either a WR, DT or edge rusher depending on what happens with Autry and Tart. 3rd round pick needs to be a wr if they don’t take one in round 2.

Last but not least, this team needs to stop playing caveman ball. I love Derrick Henry and he has been an incredible player here, he is so fun to watch, but the rest of the offense is designed to work surrounding him and as a result our entire offensive line is made up of dudes who can run block ok but can’t pass block for poo poo. This was an intentional strategic choice and is now blowing up in their faces as we got our starting QB hurt and our backups were largely ineffective and easily spooked because they had no time to hang in the pocket. Hopefully with a new GM coming in the team can evaluate its priorities up front and adjust what they are looking for. Chig Okonkwo and Treylon Burks are good pieces for a more modernized offense. Hell if we bolster the line just a little bit we all know how good tannehill is in play action when he actually has the time to let things develop a little. The team had to get worse before things got better, hence the excruciating AJ brown trade, but they need to come back different. This team was miserable to watch on offense outside of a single game against the packers and our OC was probably drunk for that one. The tannehill Henry combo is probably done after the upcoming season, they need to do something different going forward and it needs to come from somebody outside the organization currently. Ok that’s all I got. Bye.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
Looks like the Broncos couldn't hack it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BrownThunder
Oct 26, 2005

EXTEND BEN!
Forever and ever and ever

Steelers on the rise

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

https://twitter.com/lockedonpackers/status/1609988154383077376

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
https://mobile.twitter.com/mzmmz01/status/1610083011617226753

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Its true. They're not frauds. Just garbage.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Last year the Packers tried to hijack The Last Dance from Chicago and went one and done. This year they tried to pull the "we're the hottest team in the NFC, we're a team of destiny, nobody wants to play us!" shtick after beating the Bears, the Rams and a concussed Tua and they had a meltdown against a Lions team with nothing to play for.

There truly is nobody in the league better at getting high off the smell of their own farts.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
https://twitter.com/Titans/status/1612570064942776320?s=20&t=LuFm_xfM95TrffiaaVYcvg

Well as you may notice the Titans have fired each coach who demanded the head of. I am an unemployment whisperer.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Youtubey and all but I'm gonna gamble that it's good enough to post.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFtIvmE9Ssw

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

heres my review of the texans season: it was bad

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

lobster shirt posted:

Counterpoint: If you restrict the Texans season to the AFC South it was actually good.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Bismack Billabongo posted:

https://twitter.com/Titans/status/1612570064942776320?s=20&t=LuFm_xfM95TrffiaaVYcvg

Well as you may notice the Titans have fired each coach who demanded the head of. I am an unemployment whisperer.

How many of these ex-Titans coaches end up in Atlanta because we're dumb as hell and lack an imagination?

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

anthony midget

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

MJeff posted:

Last year the Packers tried to hijack The Last Dance from Chicago and went one and done. This year they tried to pull the "we're the hottest team in the NFC, we're a team of destiny, nobody wants to play us!" shtick after beating the Bears, the Rams and a concussed Tua and they had a meltdown against a Lions team with nothing to play for.

There truly is nobody in the league better at getting high off the smell of their own farts.

just more shots from the cheap seats out of you

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet

RC and Moon Pie posted:

How many of these ex-Titans coaches end up in Atlanta because we're dumb as hell and lack an imagination?

Maybe Keith carter if somebody whacks Arthur smith over the head with a huge frying pan or Todd downing if he wants to work on pitts red zone moves? Otherwise they offer nothing. Anthony midget came to Tennessee after art left so no brand loyalty there.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

the browns traded a bunch of picks and gave a massive contract they cannot escape from to a backup quality QB while their best offensive player gets a year closer to falling off a cliff

that's the summary, lol browns

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I wrote a whole long heartfelt post about the Detroit Lions for this thread and deleted it, because if you've been paying attention to the NFL this season then you've heard it before. The team started 1-6, it looked like all of their hype from Hard Knocks was for nothing, and then they got their act together and finished 8-2 for their first winning record since 2017. They ended the season by also ending Green Bay's season, knocking them out of the playoffs in a nationally-televised night game in Lambeau in January, a thing that sounds crazy even as I type it up now. A lot can happen in the offseason, but this team should expect to compete for the division title in the fall if not be the favorites to win it. My main concerns between now and then:

--What should Detroit do to improve its roster? The Lions did what they did this year without much obvious star power, relying mostly on young players (Sewell, Hutchinson, St. Brown) and cast-offs (Goff, Williams, Chark). That's great and all, but roster depth was an issue early in the season and Goff in particular only looks good if the roster around him is at full strength. Fortunately the Lions have a high draft pick from the LA Rams, and Brad Holmes' first two drafts with the team have been good, so I'm hoping for that trend to continue. The big decision comes down IMO to using that draft capital to fill out the defense vs using it on a potential QB of the future.

--Can Detroit play a full season of football? In Dan Campbell's first year as HC, the team started 0-8 before finishing 3-5-1. In his second year, they started 1-6 before finishing 8-2. I'd rather Detroit finish a season hot than start out hot, but it's probably bad to put yourself in a position where you have to play perfect football in order to make the playoffs. Of particular note was an early 45-48 loss to Seattle, a game that the Lions' offense kept finding ways to win and that their defense kept finding ways to lose; Seattle would get into the playoffs over Detroit off of that tiebreaker. I'm going to chalk this up to a combination of early-season injuries on a shallow roster and coaching inexperience, both of which I expect to improve with time.

--How does Detroit carry their momentum from this season into the next? The Lions were one of the feel-good stories of the season and were a team that many people said should be in the playoffs based on how they were playing at season's end. Well, they aren't in the playoffs, and without that same level of focus and those same good vibes they won't make it next year either. Fortunately, the team seems by and large to be bought in to the culture that MCDC has built, and I don't expect them to forget how this season ended up. Have a good draft, re-sign a couple of key players (pay Jamaal Williams his money please), and this same squad should be back and better than ever next year. I keep coming back to this clip after their win over Minnesota-
https://twitter.com/KyleBrandt/status/1602338179943923717
"They hit, they play, they believe, they've got it all going on". Just gotta find a way to bottle that and keep it shelf-stable until August.

Hard to feel like a loser team after how this season ended, playoffs or not. One of the various talking sports heads likened it to a college team winning its bowl game and I'm inclined to agree. For the first time in a long time, I'm actually looking forward to the next season of Lions football.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jan 10, 2023

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Was pondering the old wisdom about needing three years to judge a draft class. So I went looking at the Bears' 2020 draft, and I'm not as down on it now as I was a year ago. Still not great though. But then I somehow got distracted by the Raiders' 2020 draft class, cuz good god. Need bactine for my eyes.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

fishing with the fam posted:

Was pondering the old wisdom about needing three years to judge a draft class. So I went looking at the Bears' 2020 draft, and I'm not as down on it now as I was a year ago. Still not great though. But then I somehow got distracted by the Raiders' 2020 draft class, cuz good god. Need bactine for my eyes.

I mean you can know a guy's busted before 3 years (See Wilson, Zach), but you should generally give a class 3 years to really develop.

Like from the Pats' 2020 class, Josh Uche had 4 sacks combined his first two seasons, and 11.5 this year. Kyle Dugger went from a promising player to a dominant safety this year and Michael Onwenu went from a random backup to one of the better guards.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

looking at the texans 2020 draft and loling sadly

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.
I’m holding this spot for the Dolphins Monday

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

C-Euro posted:

I'm going to chalk this up to a combination of early-season injuries on a shallow roster and coaching inexperience, both of which I expect to improve with time.

As a filthy not-yet-loser outsider, I'd say this is entirely reasonable. Campbell's clock management was severely suspect in some of those early games, but he made some extremely savvy moves with the clock in that Packers game such as declining the guaranteed first down from a penalty because doing so ate one of GB's timeouts and even more clock. Consistency there will be key, but it looks promising in my opinion.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
i believe this is the first year in franchise history the bears finished with the worst record in the league. in 1969 they went 1-13, but so did the steelers

what went wrong: this lady is literally 100 years old and owns the bears

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

mastershakeman posted:

i believe this is the first year in franchise history the bears finished with the worst record in the league. in 1969 they went 1-13, but so did the steelers

what went wrong: this lady is literally 100 years old and owns the bears

I see another rich baron has achieved lichdom along with Ralph Wilson

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Da Bears

Bears #1 in the Draft baybeeee

QB

Justin fields I think is the Truth. The best singular offensive talent I have ever seen in a Bears Uniform. He's got to get better at some parts of passing(really really gotta be more consistent on short routes.) but was generally completely let down by his surrounding pieces never ever making a play to help him. Need him to improve, but seems like he is the type to hit whatever the ceiling he has. Bears just gotta build an offense that doesn't require him to always be superman.

Trevor Siemian, wonderful Northwestern Backup who got hurt warming up for a game lol.

Bears are in a great position with their QB, and shouldn't need to worry about it, maybe find a backup who can more closely mimic Fields ability for continuity of offense if/when fields has to sit out some games for injury.

RBs

RB's are pretty solid, Monty is like an A at breaking tackles and a B at everything you ask a runningback to do, He's never going to make a big play, but will always get an extra 2-5 yards by fighting. No top end speed, but can pass block
Free Agent this year, unclear if he will be back, I think unless someone is willing to drastically overpay he should be back on a relatively team friendly ~2 year deal

Herbert Faster than Monty, is far more decisive as a runner, faster top end speed, not elite speed but can break a run from time to time, absolutely abysmal at passblocking.

Everyone else: Bad or mid.

If Monty comes back, this is probably a pretty settled, group, but Monty is someone who you can probably upgrade/downgrade from and still be fine. Runningbacks ya know...

Bears probably resign Monty at a team friendly deal for 2 years

WR

(okay this was uncalled DPI but lmao)

(also uncalled dpi but lmao)

Bad Bad Bad

Bears only have 2 NFL caliber recievers on the Roster in Mooney and Claypool, they probably overpayed for Claypool, but like at least he theoretically has the capability of being more than he's shown, Mooney is good, but not good enough when defenses don't have to focus on someone else.

Only recievers guaranteed to be on the roster next year are
EQ(great at blocking, bad at catching and running routes)
Velus Jones Jr, old and bad,
Mooney, decent,
Claypool, decent.

TE
Cole Kmet is a very very solid TE, not going to be a star split wide TE or anything, but good at blocking, has improved at catching, will run people over.

OL

https://twitter.com/SharpFootball/status/1560422928478601221

Braxton Jones I think has the footwork and potential to be a solid tackle, but needs to put on some weight, as he could deal with speed rushers off the edge, but anyone who could just push him back just constantly pushed him back into Fields with a bull rush every single play.

Cody Whitehair, Old, mediocre, probably paid more than his production.

Lucas Patrick, Hurt, Question marks???
Sam Mustipher, worst offensive lineman I have ever seen, absolute trash at center, often allows nano pressures at fields from the center of the offensive line.

Tevin Jenkins, Hurt a bunch, but when he played at guard has shown a ton of promise, amazing run blocker, and held up in Pass Pro as a guard surprisingly well for never having played guard before.

Borom, Bad Young
Reiff, Bad old
Leatherwood, Bad Young

Everyone else Bad and young

Bears need to at least replace 2 members of their offensive line with an upgrade, probably more.

I think with internal improvement that Braxton Jones and Tevin Jenkins are the only young guys worth anything. Lucas Patrick may be able to play center, but dude just got hurt and stayed getting hurt. So probably need an upgrade at center as well. as Left Guard and Right Tackle.

Maybe get a Left Tackle and try Jones at Right Tackle. But yeah pretty much every position on this line needs to be upgraded either by internal improvement or draft/free agency.

Offensive staff

It's very very hard to say, with the absolute dearth of Talent. The thing that has me somewhat positive about Getsy is that around game 6 or whenever they sat down and completely retooled the offense to better take advantage of Justin Fields and was able to get a stretch of 6 games scoring ~30 a game, before everyone got hurt. and they started the tank in earnest.

DL

Somehow worse than our Offensive Line.

Literally every position needs to be upgraded, like I'm not even gonna name players as like everyone playing on this line on a competent line would be like a 6th/7th lineman in a rotation.

LBs

JACK
loving
SANBORN
The Bears fans great white hope

He unironically played alright in his time after Roquan was traded seemed pretty instinctive, low top end potential because of a lack of physical traits, but I think that dude is going to be a good strongside backer in base defense and a solid backup middle linebacker

Morrow, whatever. I literally don't know any of the other LB's on this roster lol

God this Front Seven loving suuuuuuuuuucked. Need upgrades everywhere here

DBs

The only thing that could remotely be considered a strength. They got dealt an absolute poo poo hand, as their pass rush was literally worst in the league. They went like the back half of the year for like 5-6 games getting no qb hit or pressure or something ridiculous like that.

Jaylon Johnson is the goods, a really really great corner. he's either in the low end of the Elite Corners, or the top end of the very good corners.

Kyler Gordon, I like him, he has a decent nose for the football, his coverage skills aren't great, but he really really feels like the type of corner that like absolutely needs a pass rush. Good Tackler, can play run fits well.

Brisker, Love this dude, Eye disciplne is touchy, will often take a few more risks than needed, and can get manipulated by a QB from time to time, but man he's just always around and in the play.

Eddie Jackson, Finally able to play free safety and roam, and had his best season since he had another safety in Brisker who could help with the dirty work. Until he got hurt

Some other decent prospects who actually played alright late, but once again hard to look good as a DB in this league when your pass rush is completely non-existent.

I think Corner and DB the Bears are pretty much set on going forward. Need to get a replacement for Ejax eventually but he was great in this defense so no need to get off his contract yet.

Defensive Staff

Once again, hard to say with the lack of talent, I did like that they weren't dogmatic with their scheme once it became clear that Rushing only 4 would not work, and worked in more blitzing and man defenses and moving Johnson around to cover the best receiver. But yeah incomplete grade.

Overview

Bears are in an interesting spot, where(to me) they have the QB, but literally nothing else. But they have the capital in both draft picks and Salary cap to do an almost like complete overhaul of a roster in a way that you like almost never get the chance to do in the NFL.

The variance on what this team can be going forward is probably the highest in the league. And I have no loving clue if the GM Poles will be able to do it.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Good post C-Euro.

Brad Holmes has his biggest offseason now. Playoffs are the expectation. They have some cap, they've got draft picks. They need to add to that defense and the NFC North title is there for the taking. I think of the presser after trading Hock and he all but said "Look I'm good at the draft, give me picks and let me cook."

1-6 was tough. In hindsight the injuries were too many and the young players were too green. AG and Campbell went over the defense and realized they had to simplify things, the players were too overwhelmed, so they went back to basics and then started adding bits week by week as the younger players figured things out.

Credit to Campbell and his staff to be able to flip that switch and reconfigure things during the season. Just like they did in Year 1 when they shelved Lynn and MCDC took over the offense with Ben Campbell. Improvement all could see.

Of course, I give him credit for fixing those things, you could say its a strike against him for rolling with that scheme to start the year or having Lynn who didn't know what to do with Goff. The goal will be to have a start where we don't lose a bunch of games. They might not start the season rolling as there will likely be a lot of new faces on defense, but the floor is high enough they should be in a position to win the Seattle game, the minnesota game, hell the Philly game.

The best thing you can say is the team got better every week. Real tangible improvement that even the most dense football fan could see. I think MCDC and Holmes have ended the Same Old Lions diatribe, but it will probably still linger on until they get a playoff win, but good times look to be here.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
If the Cardinals are trying to unload Hopkins, the Bears should do everything they can to acquire him. They have the money and the capital and Fields needs a #1 guy.

Although he is already 30. Hm.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

MJeff posted:

If the Cardinals are trying to unload Hopkins, the Bears should do everything they can to acquire him. They have the money and the capital and Fields needs a #1 guy.

Although he is already 30. Hm.

But instead they traded what became the #32 overall pick for......Chase Claypool. Whoops.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

wandler20 posted:

But instead they traded what became the #32 overall pick for......Chase Claypool. Whoops.

If they’d traded for a good receiver they might not have the first pick which they will trade to net them a multiple firsts and other assorted picks so really it’s like they traded the 32nd for better set of picks and got a free receiver in the bargain.

Chess not checkers.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.
Kind of you to pick that clip wherein the Bears made the Seahawks D-Line look all Pro instead of the varying degrees of bad that they are. Really highlights how dire your O Line is though.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Carolina Panthers

We uh, had another season. Like the last season, and the one before.

QB
Jesus. Get us a QB. I don't care how. Trade 5 years of picks for Jackson, trade up and get CJ or the tiny little man, or the tall white dude, or sign Jimmy, or trade for Carr or something, anything. Just for the love of of all that is holy please stop trying to polish turds and failsons from other regimes.

Baker was a failure from the beginning and it was pretty sad because I legitimately thought he might still have some juice left and to be fair he kind of does, but he's pretty much Taylor Heinicke with a slightly better arm. Whether its injuries, changing schemes, having a dumb QB competition in the offseason when everyone knew he was the starter or what I don't know, but he failed to mesh in the Panthers system and was released unceremoniously mid season.

PJ Walker is a great guy to have in the QB room, he's got good short area accuracy, he can scramble a little bit but he's never going to be more than a back up and practice team mimic for mobile QBs. Love the dude though - always ready to jump in at a moments notice, can do a little bit and seems to give a gently caress - for sure worth keeping around.

Sam Darnold - had a nice little stretch at the end of the season that somewhat typifies who he is as a player. Flashed elite athleticism and arm talent one drive, skied easy completions, fumbled on routine hits and made awful reads the next. I can't hate Darnold because the dude's really doing his best and if he went to a decent head coach early, was allowed to sit for a year and fix some things he might have had a career, but I think he's a little broken mentally - he can make progressions and reads, can make any play arm or leg talent wise but he just sees ghosts and makes back breaking plays at the worst possible time. If I was a more spiritual hippy of a man - I might suggest he's cursed some how and needs to see Rodgers shaman for a cleansing or butthole sunning or whatever, but the dudes just washed.

RBs
My sweet CMC. I will always love you.

D'Onta Foreman, lacks breakaway speed but otherwise the dudes a legit runningback and I really like what he brings to the table. He was only signed to a one year deal and I hope he comes back for a cheapish 2 year stick around contract, and it seems like he likes carolina from everything he's said but I don't like paying running backs so if he leaves it'll suck but I doubt it'll be the end of the world.

Chuba Hubbard. Has some weird fumbling issues but has actual game breaking pace in the open field and has a nice set of hands as a pass catcher. Saw some action over the last few as the main guy - largely when CMC was out but never really takes over a game like some guys can. Fine as a 3rd down and change of pace guy but not more than that.

WR
DJ Moore bondafide number 1 receiver. Get him someone who can throw.
Terrace Marshall - very good route runner, strong hands, good at boxing out defenders, not afraid to run through a motherfucker too. Love this dude and think he has a bright future. I don't know what Rhule and McAdoo were thinking but i was sure this guy had some kind of broken brain and was a sure bust until Rhule was fired and he was allowed to suit up and play.
Laviska Shenault - Fine, good speed and can break tackles I think he's fine as a third option and he might develop a little bit in his third year. Made some splashy plays over the year and I think he could be a nice piece, especially with Marshall filling a more physical type role and Moore being the primary he could become a solid contributor but again, needs a QB.
Shi Smith - speed guy, good on end arounds and everything else. Never going to be anything more. panthers have low key a good little factory of finding late round speed guys and getting them involved here and there before they disappear into the ether just another one to add to the list.
There's a few other nobodies knocking about but who cares. After the first three its all just guys. At least the top three are here for a long time on cheap deals. Just find them a loving quarterback.

TE
Tommy Tremble - slightly smaller and lighter but hits like a freight train when blocking and has a better pair of hands than his college tape would have suggested. Not amazing stats but he did make some flashy plays on third down that make me think he might eventually develop into a solid tight end.
Ian Thomas - decent receiver, good blocker, big body and a plodder type. Might never be more than he is right now - which is a good end blocker and a decent catcher every now and then.
Giovanni Ricci - good special teams guy, plays fullback more than tight end. You might call him an H-back but whatever - he's JAG but he's possibly the kind of guy who stays around the league forever because he just does whatever anyone tells him and doesn't gently caress up.

This unit could potentially use a crown jewel if the team was having an all in assault on the division but until QB is fixed we don't really know for sure. They all do things well enough in their own right but they're all replaceable, they're all forgettable and none of them are stars or major pieces.

I miss Greg Olsen.

OL
After drat near a decade of crying out for one, we finally have one. Taylor Moton the right tackle is brilliant and has been for some time, Bradley Bozeman filled in admirably for Elflein, Austin Corbett was a great pick up from the Rams, Brady Christensen was excellent at guard and even when some guys got hurt the depth at guard with Michael Jordan was effective. The crown jewel in the line up though is Ikem Ekwonu who just might be one of the best Left Tackles for the next decade in the NFL. In three months he allowed just 3 pressures and 0 sacks, was excellent in the run game and great in the pass game. Struggled from time to time with some bad protection reads on the snap, but part of me wonders what the protection calls were like with some upheaval at center and a constantly rotating QB position.

Either way the future here is bright as all but Bozeman are locked up for the short future and all of them are in their prime or ascending. Now's the time to get them someone to protect.

Offensive staff
If McAdoo wanted to simply be a run game coordinator I'd be fine, but I don't think he's the guy to develop a long term quarterback. I also don't think his game management was anything to write home about but I also sometimes wonder how much of that was limited by the QB position. I really don't think he put Baker in the best position to succeed and PJ Walker had a weird game where he had 12 completions within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage. He managed to get Darnold looking better than he ever has before so - props for that but I don't think he's a long term fit. Best to cut bait and bring in someone else.

DL
Woof. Derrick Brown and Brian Burns are realistically the only players here of note. The rest of the defensive line really has something of a soft underbelly and they'll need to find some rotational pieces. Yetuer Gross-Matos might eventually develop into a guy, and he's fine as a rotational piece, but he's not good enough. I expect some investment into the position in the coming offseason because there really is a gaping hole in the middle of the Panthers defense and it gets exploited by good running backs and good running teams. Get some size up front and turn Brown and Burns loose.

LBs
Shaq Thompson, Frankie Luvu and the rest. Shaq is a decent off the ball linebacker, good in run fits, good in pass coverage and effective at most things. He was drafted more as an athlete than as a linebacker and it took a little while for the light to come on, but now that he's in his prime he can lead the linebacker group. Frankie Luvu is a loving stud, rushing the passer, making plays dropping into coverage, run defense, dude does it all and should be a probowler. Absolute monster. Could use some investment here as well. I think the team needs a little more thump and a little more pace in the middle just to help staunch the flow when the opposing team starts running the ball down their throat. Phil Snow liked his linebackers undersized and fast and it showed up (badly) quite a bit when teams just decided to stand in the pocket and trade punches.

DBs
For all the rosters overall short comings, this might be the best positional group in the division when fully healthy. Horn and Jackson are an outstanding starting duo with Horn already being one of the best pure cover guys in the NFL. CJ Henderson is ok as a slot corner, decent in run support and can be somewhat physical when he's called upon. Absolutely woeful when asked to be a MEG type corner though and multiple times in the last two weeks after Horn broke his wrist he got caught standing flat footed looking in the backfield at the snap while someone (Evans) blew him the gently caress up for an easy long completion.

Jeremy Chinn is a loving god he once had a fumble and recovery for a touchdown against the vikings and before my refractory period was done - on the very next play he forced a fumble on Dalvin loving Cook, recovered it and scored again. Just a loving stud and needs to be a Panther for life - or until he starts to suck and then he can gently caress off to wherever.

Defensive Staff
Steve Wilks - went 6-6 when elevated to the head coach role and I think he's getting some love from the former players who are currently dicks out to keep him because Rhule was just so drat bad. I think he was extremely unlucky his first stint as HC went to poo poo in Arizona and I think he'd be a good hire for any organization looking to arrest a bad spin after a terrible coach but I don't know if he's good enough to be the next long term coach of the Panthers. He still suffers from what's becoming a hallmark of defensive head coaches - being a fuckin' puss but again - how much of that is due to the QB room? A few games toward the end of the season - namely the Buccs game there were moments when he needed to be big balls out and just go for it on fourth and short, or have a crack and the end zone and play to win. Instead he played not to lose and lost. If you coupled him with some hot shot OC - either a former head coach who's just been sacked or someone's protege he might be able to make a go of it, but from what I've seen of him if he was given the gig he'd just as likely stick with McAdoo and we'd be in the same place next year.

Al Holcomb was the interim defensive coordinator and I think deserves some praise for what he was able to achieve. He's bounced around the league for a few years - including multiple years in Carolina where he's worked with the secondary and linebackers largely as a pass stopping guru and the guys loving great at developing young talent. I don't know if he's a legit defensive coordinator for the long term but I don't recall a game where I thought to myself "man... this dudes loving up". I think most of the problems stem from the philosphy of the guys before him in their personnel and I wouldn't be surprised if he stuck around no matter what happens with Wilks.

Overview
Roster wise the team needs to get more stout in the middle of the defense, but when healthy I firmly believe the defensive unit is good enough to keep the team in the mix with just about anyone. The core group of players is still young and effective and the future seems fairly bright if they can augment what they have. Offensively everything is for naught if they can't fix the QB room. As per the above I don't care who, I don't care how, I don't care why. Find someone.

Overall the team direction rests firmly on what they do with the coaching staff. I wouldn't mind keeping Wilks if they found an offensive coordinator that can train a quarterback and call an aggressive, effective game plan. If they go for a new regime in its entirety I think they have to find an innovative offensive coach and utilise the guys they have. This team hasn't had an offensive line and pass catching group this good since Cam Newton was a rookie and if they're ever going to swing for the fences and make a run its in the next few years.

I don't think it's too far to go, to say that the Roster rebuild is largely complete, with just some pieces needed to sure up some minor weaknesses and add depth. gently caress do they need a quarterback. You could see it every week with the Panthers. They'd be in position to score points late in the half but bungle it through bad calls, bad QB play or other stupidity and the defense, tired and undersized would give up a play because they didn't have fresh bodies to bring in and couldn't stop teams from kicking in the front door.

They have the picks and outside of 2023, a whole lot of cap space in 2024 and onwards. The Panthers could have an extremely quick turn around if they can hit on a quarterback and if they hire the right coach. If they somehow pick up a rookie that becomes the guy they'll have a 5 year window where the nucleus of talent on the roster can easily be retained with the money saved on a rookie deal and make a serious push year after year while Tampa and New Orleans pick up the pieces and Atlanta find their feet.

Hope in one hand and poo poo in the other and see which fills up firs though. High hopes, low expectations from me moving forward.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
https://twitter.com/PrideOfDetroit/status/1613530484834766849

Get lost, Sauce, here's your DROY.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

lobster shirt posted:

Couldn't do wrong right

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

Dexo posted:

Da Bears

A good post for a bad team.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

See you never, losers

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Welcome Seahawks, you played a half of a playoff game, hooray!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dingo with a joint
Jan 12, 2019

wrong cow

Kalli posted:

Welcome Seahawks, you played a half of a playoff game, hooray!

Those close-ups of Geno's exasperated face under center during the second half were pretty heart-breaking.