Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Phenotype posted:

Can I play the second game having watched the TV show? From all the discussion in here it seems like it stayed pretty drat close to what was in the first game, but I dunno, would I be missing anything about the plot?

You'd probably be fine .There'd probably be some gameplay references you don't pick up, and it might hit different having experienced the first part of the story with different actors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Phenotype posted:

Can I play the second game having watched the TV show? From all the discussion in here it seems like it stayed pretty drat close to what was in the first game, but I dunno, would I be missing anything about the plot?

Sure, the only real difference between S1 and the game going forward was Bill still being alive following a bad breakup with Frank, and Joel embellishing the lie by saying raiders attacked the hospital (in the game, Ellie was unconscious for the entire hospital sequence, doesn’t know Marlene was there, etc). The only discrepancy you’re likely to find is maybe Ellie referring to meeting Bill on the original road trip, or the Kansas City segment taking place in Pittsburg.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Thirding. There are some super tiny differences but if you have a PS4 or PS5 I'd skip the first. The second is by far the better game . The first game will be mostly the stuff you saw in the show, with endless repetitive sneaking around segments.

Just be aware that if the show seemed like a rough ride emotionally, the second game dials that up to 12 and goes to 11 right near the start.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Phenotype posted:

Yes. The plot in the TV show hits on basically all of the important notes you need to know for the second game.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

The last 2 episodes are pretty much word for word the script from the first game's cutscenes. The camera blocking & editing are identical too.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?

Phenotype posted:

You could. I still think the part 1 remake is worth playing in its own right with incredible performances and you would enjoy seeing some different takes on scenes and ways things play out, but if you simply want to "experience what happens next" yeah you can just jump ahead.

I think there might be some minor references to things but yes effectively the most major beats are the same. The main difference is in the game there is no tendrils and the virus spreads through spores so there'll be some stuff about wearing masks that isn't in the part 2 world at all.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Persuaded my sister-in-law to watch the show. She has never played the game and didn't even realise it was based on a game.

She says she didn't think she'd like it because she doesn't like gory zombie shows, but gave it a try. Said she really liked it, thought it was very well written, watched the whole season, thought the two main characters were great, cried at episode 3, thought the final scene was very interesting.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Edit wrong thread lol

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Apr 3, 2023

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
I literally just got the Yellowjackets theme song out of my head after about a week. Thanks for nothing.

I've been watching a Twitch playthrough "episode by episode" every Sunday night since the finale and boy, the folks that said the game is light on story and heavy on ridiculous stealth missions were 100% correct so far. Not that that's a problem, but when you're only watching to compare plot beats they're definitely few and far between.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?

fullroundaction posted:

I've been watching a Twitch playthrough "episode by episode" every Sunday night since the finale and boy, the folks that said the game is light on story and heavy on ridiculous stealth missions were 100% correct so far. Not that that's a problem, but when you're only watching to compare plot beats they're definitely few and far between.

At the end of the day it is a video game and there has to be a gameplay loop.

It's funny because in the gaming community Naughty Dog games are sometimes criticised for "basically just being movies". I don't agree with the criticism but they definitely have a very particular balance of intentionally linear cinematic pacing while still having learnable and challenging gameplay loops as "games" that I don't think any other studio has mastered that formula on that level.

You can actually play more aggressively rather than ponderously stealthing all those sections, although can be hard on certain difficulties with resource management. TLOU2 has a better balance of being able to play as you feel in wider sections where you really can more smoothly transition between stealth and violence through guerilla tactics in a more exciting way.

There are "The Last of Us ("the movie" etc) compilations on YouTube which cut out a lot of the non plot essential gameplay.

There are definitely some exciting action setpieces in the game that aren't in the show (hanging upside down, bus towards the end, etc), and "optional dialogue" during gameplay plus found notes and environmental storytelling like Ish's story are something quite unique to video games.

Also the whole fact that "you" as the player so things. It's somewhat cheesy and repetitive at points, but the fact that you and Ellie solve gameplay puzzles and navigation together with ladders, planks so she can swim, boosting her up, that she gets more useful as the game goes on throwing you ammo and eventually killing enemies, that "you" as Joel experience the cognitive dissonance of the ending violence etc, those are things that are very unique to the game experience.

And in terms of experiences that are more one to one cutscenes, I honestly think many scenes like Tess's death etc are stronger in the game. The strongest parts of the show are honestly where it deviated from the game.