Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Well, it’s almost time. Sony’s Playstation’s Naughty Dog’s The Last of Us is here, brought to us by the fine folks at HBO. HBO just couldn’t get enough of those weird gross fungus zombies, apparently. Which, fair, they’re pretty gnarly.

But they loved that poo poo so much they got Craig Mazin on this thing, and he only made one of the most acclaimed HBO series of all time in Chernobyl. Also involved is Neil Druckmann, one of the two original co-writers/directors of the game, and he made Uncharted 4! That game’s pretty good! They even got the original composer of the game to return, Gustavo Santaolalla! You probably know him from winning back-to-back Academy Awards for film scoring in 2006 and 2007. What’s that? You don’t know him? Well, you should.

This is going to be the non-spoiler thread for people who just want to discuss the show as it airs without bringing in the context of the game. You’re free to post in here if you’ve played the game, but try to avoid talking about future stuff, all right? Worth warning though that any spoiler thread is probably going to be open season regarding the second game, which this season will not be covering, so watch out.

The Last of Us airs Sundays at 9PM Eastern, starting January 15th. The (first?) season will run for nine episodes.

Arist fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jan 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

lol pass

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

HBO has announced a companion podcast hosted by Troy Baker, who played Joel in the games.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Why? Reviews so far have been overwhelmingly positive.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Ballz posted:

Why? Reviews so far have been overwhelmingly positive.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
Neil Cuckman.

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
the games own especially the 2nd and this show will own too and i am excited to watch it

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 28 days!)

hughesta posted:

the games own especially the 2nd and this show will own too and i am excited to watch it

this is how i'm feeling

edit: oops

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
roomtone this is the NON-spoiler thread

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 28 days!)

god damnit

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
hahah

Anyway yeah I was always confident in this show because of Mazin’s involvement and then because of the cast too but I still breathed a sigh of relief when I saw how good the reviews are. I’m so excited!

Also I really hope they release this one in 4K I don’t understand why House of the Dragon is the only HBO-related property that has had day of broadcast digital 4K versions available

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I was a little nervous about Bella Ramsey's performance (based on the like two lines of dialogue we got in trailers); good to hear it was over nothing.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

After Chernobyl, I'm more than happy to give anything Craig Mazin does a chance, so I'm gonna watch it, and I really hope it's good!

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

After Chernobyl, I'm more than happy to give anything Craig Mazin does a chance, so I'm gonna watch it, and I really hope it's good!

It's kinda insane how he went from writing Superhero Movie to writing Chernobyl.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Alhazred posted:

It's kinda insane how he went from writing Superhero Movie to writing Chernobyl.

If Leslie Nielsen had lived, somehow Mazin would have pulled the rare Reverse-Zuckers and turned him back into a lauded serious actor for his role as Angry Naked Miner.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I’m hyped beyond levels I’ve ever felt for a new tv show

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
I'm looking forward to seeing just how useless they make the Fireflies look.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Random thought: would it be a good idea to change the thread title to “The Last of Us: Tourists Welcome (NO SPOILERS)” or something, just so the different thread titles are more distinctive? I doubt this really matters at all so feel free to ignore me tbh

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
I'm trying not to have unrealistic expectations based on Chernobyl. That show was the best tv I have ever seen but I'm not going to lie and say I'm not incredibly looking forward to this.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Very much looking forward to this! I have heard nothing but good things about the game's story but bounced off it all three times I tried to play it. Now I can enjoy it without that pesky gameplay.

Stellar Curiosity
Jan 15, 2009

I've been looking forward to this ever since Craig Mazin announced that he was going to write the TV adaption of his favourite game. Excited that the series is getting lots of praise and positive reviews.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Eeeeeeeeee! its_happening.gif

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Lol “Madagascar.” Plague inc. call back

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:
John Hannah?!

Surprised to be sure but very welcomed

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Interesting that they decided to expand so much on the prologue.

YOU WILL NOT USE SENTENCE DIAGRAMMING LATER IN LIFE KIDS YOUR TEACHER IS LYING TO YOU

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

That old woman ain't right

Althair
Jul 26, 2006
words are weapons
I heard these games were good but I never played them. Excited there’s a show version now. Intro seemed to telegraph things pretty directly. As a mushroom hater I hope being a picky eater keeps you safe in this scenario.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

bobjr posted:

That old woman ain't right
She's got the brain fungus!

drat, so far this is nailing the tone of the first game.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
For non-game players, a lot of the truck sequence is drat near shot for shot from the game.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

1stGear posted:

For non-game players, a lot of the truck sequence is drat near shot for shot from the game.
It really is. This is impressive.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

1stGear posted:

Yeah it's crazy, it's just as goddam stressful as it was playing it

Althair
Jul 26, 2006
words are weapons
I like that the focus has been on suspense instead of gore. I hope that sticks.

Edit: I’m feeling very repeatedly faked out about who the protagonist is

Althair fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jan 16, 2023

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Althair posted:

I heard these games were good but I never played them. Excited there’s a show version now. Intro seemed to telegraph things pretty directly. As a mushroom hater I hope being a picky eater keeps you safe in this scenario.

i tried playing the first one and bounced off it hard. i thought the controls were terrible enough that i just couldn't continue on and get to the story everyone raved about.

glad there's a show now! so far, so good.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Medullah posted:

Yeah it's crazy, it's just as goddam stressful as it was playing it

Watching with my mom. Very upset about ‘that death’. “Me too, mom and I’ll never get over it.”

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

well, that was a start. not outstanding or anything, but solid.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

navyjack posted:

Watching with my mom. Very upset about ‘that death’. “Me too, mom and I’ll never get over it.”

That whimpering :cry:

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

abelwingnut posted:

well, that was a start. not outstanding or anything, but solid.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
This is already the best live action video game adaptation.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
transporting a kid, held at gunpoint by a suited soldier, ooh, just like before

don't do a flashback
don't do a flashback
don'tdoaflashback
have some faith in your audience to infer wh--
-flashback-
GODDAMMIT

Churlish I know - otherwise, good-to-great entertainment.

WITHOUT SPOILING, do we have any solid information from the showrunners about how the series tracks with the games? For example, I want to play Game Part II before the show reaches those events. Is that gonna be "Season 2"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches

Only Kindness posted:

transporting a kid, held at gunpoint by a suited soldier, ooh, just like before

don't do a flashback
don't do a flashback
don'tdoaflashback
have some faith in your audience to infer wh--
-flashback-
GODDAMMIT

Churlish I know - otherwise, good-to-great entertainment.

WITHOUT SPOILING, do we have any solid information from the showrunners about how the series tracks with the games? For example, I want to play Game Part II before the show reaches those events. Is that gonna be "Season 2"?
yes, season 1 covers game 1's content