Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU
if the lead was making us dumb, why does the world still keep getting stupider?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Asbestos was supposed to finish the job. What the gently caress, asbestos?

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Private Cumshoe posted:

we don't let kids play with benzene in science class any more and it's a real shame how will they learn about benzene

Apparently they don’t let kids play with mercury in science class anymore either. Huge disappointment. Hopefully they’re still letting kids gently caress around with formaldehyde in class at least.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
I used to love the smell of car exhaust and would breathe deep any time the opportunity arose. I’m amazed I don’t dribble on myself and vote straight R (still pretty dumb/ hosed, tho.)

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

It's really important for children to learn about and also be exposed to hazardous amounts of benzene

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Back in my day popular bands made songs to educate us about the trials and tribulations of benzene. What will children today do?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0wK6s-6cbo

yes I know that's not what it means

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

yook posted:

Because they got older and dumber and more likely to vote

Neco
Mar 13, 2005

listen

yook posted:

The dum dums are in charge op

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

One of my secondary school chemistry teachers was always up in arms about draconian health and safety laws. Said when he was at school they used benzene all the time and couldn't understand why it was illegal now. He also used to lament that he couldn't beat pupils anymore.

I still liked the guy. He was interesting. If he gave a lecture he wasn't scared to break out the test tubes and give us a demonstration. He was also the spitting image of Des Lynam and would get drunk at school football matches and start shouting and cheering.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Smugworth posted:

Lead used to be used as an artificial sweetener in diet coke

nothing tastes as good as skinny feels

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

i gotta admit that the world we live in being created by lead poisoned people makes a lot of sense.

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU
Can’t spell leader without lead

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Ate too much bread. Bread poisoning

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
When boomers heard the phrase “that’ll put some lead in your pencil” they took it literally

Neco
Mar 13, 2005

listen

yook posted:

Can’t spell leader without lead

chances are you have been pronouncing leader wrong all this time!

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

i'm gonna fill you full of lead!

just kidding, that was a little cowboy joke :clint:

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
If any of your bodily fluids are white, you've got too much lead

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Lead in everything up until about 50 years ago + medical advancements making people live way longer = broken-brained people being in control of the world 20 years longer than they should have been.

The big question is whether things can get back on track when less damaged people can wrest back that control, or if we're already off the cliff and halfway to the jagged rocks at the bottom.

... it's the cliff one, isn't it.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Mirage posted:

Lead in everything up until about 50 years ago + medical advancements making people live way longer = broken-brained people being in control of the world 20 years longer than they should have been.

The big question is whether things can get back on track when less damaged people can wrest back that control, or if we're already off the cliff and halfway to the jagged rocks at the bottom.

Don’t worry about it.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
There are no less damaged people, any sufficiently advanced civilization always runs itself into a wall.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
You know who really made good decisions? People 50 years ago

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Zeniel posted:

Unfortunatly the idea probably doesn't hold much water. There is a correlation between violence and use of leaded fuels in the US but the same correlation never existed in other countries despite the existed of leaded fuels there too. Still good we don't use lead in everything anymore but boomers being boomers isn't lead related.

The drop was even more extreme in Europe. Whatever it was, there was really something weird going on between the late 50s and the 90s causing a rise in violent crime in the developed world and we have fixed it somehow now

Dr Spangle
Jul 31, 2022

yook posted:

The internet makes you stupid

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

GABA ghoul posted:

The drop was even more extreme in Europe. Whatever it was, there was really something weird going on between the late 50s and the 90s causing a rise in violent crime in the developed world and we have fixed it somehow now

Its a huge area of research for some academics and probably very multifaceted but yeah nobody really knows exactly why violent crimes dropped off as much as it did. Like removing lead from the atmosphere might be a contributing factor , but it doesn't explain the global trend that is seen.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Genesplicer posted:

My blood has only trace amounts. I'm good.

You have to explain my weirdness some other way...

like how piss is stored in the balls, lead actually is stored in the bones where it then takes 30 years to be cycled out.

Every time you've been exposed to lead it remains in your bod for 30 years slowly leeching, slowly influencing your systems, subtly afflicting your neurons and thoughts and actions

nom epique
Apr 24, 2022

by VideoGames

Mirage posted:

You saying B and Pelosi aren’t genius saints? Chud spotted

Richard Cabeza
Mar 1, 2005

What a dickhead...
More lead in the blood, more lead in the pencil.

Silver lining.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Saalkin posted:

Just lol if you aren't filled with mircoplastics

great avatar post combo

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Zeniel posted:

Its a huge area of research for some academics and probably very multifaceted but yeah nobody really knows exactly why violent crimes dropped off as much as it did. Like removing lead from the atmosphere might be a contributing factor , but it doesn't explain the global trend that is seen.

Isn’t a lot of it due to the fact that a ton of violent crime was related to robberies and burglaries and such, because back in the day people carried a ton more money on them, houses were full of things you could carry and sell for good $$$(35mm cameras, TV’s, stereo equipment, stashed cash, etc), women wore way more expensive jewelry/ furs - you get the picture.

Nowadays, none of the common electronics are worth jack poo poo to a fence except possibly high-end Apple stuff, you can’t carry a TV that’s worth anything, people have a wallet full of cards and $26, and other than wedding rings, you don’t see a lot of expensive jewelry except in rap videos.

I mean, a study done in NYC in like 1977 found that 1/3 of residents had been mugged during the past several years, that’s crazy.

Even commercial robberies aren’t profitable like they used to be, timed safes and decreased use of cash make holding up gas stations and 7/11’s unprofitable in most cases.

FreeRangeHexagon
Apr 17, 2022

nom epique posted:

You saying B and Pelosi aren’t genius saints? Chud spotted

in my very weak defense of those two, it's not like younger Dems tend to be any more competent

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

MrQwerty posted:

Brother, I also had a case of the Macho Mania as well

These posts are all callously dismissive of the number of Lego Maniacs still suffering today.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

MrQwerty posted:

Brother, I also had a case of the Macho Mania as well

You meant to say "Macho Madness".

Clearly the lead has already done its work.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

If it weren't for lead exposure and multiple TBIs downgrading my brain a little I would probably have already become global tyrant, so who can say if it's good or bad?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Zeniel posted:

I wonder if growing up during the cold war is part of it? Having "the world could very literally end tomorrow and we'll tell you how in detail" hanging over your head may do things to your psyche.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

JnnyThndrs posted:

Isn’t a lot of it due to the fact that a ton of violent crime was related to robberies and burglaries and such, because back in the day people carried a ton more money on them, houses were full of things you could carry and sell for good $$$(35mm cameras, TV’s, stereo equipment, stashed cash, etc), women wore way more expensive jewelry/ furs - you get the picture.

Nowadays, none of the common electronics are worth jack poo poo to a fence except possibly high-end Apple stuff, you can’t carry a TV that’s worth anything, people have a wallet full of cards and $26, and other than wedding rings, you don’t see a lot of expensive jewelry except in rap videos.

I mean, a study done in NYC in like 1977 found that 1/3 of residents had been mugged during the past several years, that’s crazy.

Even commercial robberies aren’t profitable like they used to be, timed safes and decreased use of cash make holding up gas stations and 7/11’s unprofitable in most cases.

I mean it's probably also a factor, but as I said, the general consensus is that it was a very complex multifaceted thing that isn't well understood. Like part of it may well be that the definitions of what constitutes violent crime has changed, as well as how crimes are reported and handled as well. At present we still really don't have a clear explanation and is a very large area of ongoing research.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

sorry it was me

i was doing all those crimes but now i do less

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tite Barnacle
Jun 4, 2014

Meowdy Purrdner

Grimey Drawer
I was born in 1974, so I'm on the cusp. There's clearly nothing wrong with lead paint, I used to eat it all the time. And I turned out just fine. It was the escapism through drugs and alcohol what got me. I'm pretty sure I can't die though. They keep saying I will, and I keep waking up every day and feeding and petting cats so I think all those doctors are full of poo poo. Gonna be funny when I get contradicted on this.