Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
i like lunches w/ colleagues and bosses a thousand times more than "mandatory fun" work events and a million times more than after work mandatory drinking (haven't worked at one of these lovely places in a long time thankfully)

i'll talk shop at lunch if it comes naturally and was not expected but my boss using my lunch as extra work time is lovely

also if you're my boss and you're dragging me out to lunch when i'm trying to save money you better be buying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

nudgenudgetilt posted:

jonny is just pissed he didn't get the job at Lumon Industries

never heard of em. is this a reference

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

never heard of em. is this a reference

look up the premise of the tv show "Severance"

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

KidDynamite posted:

i think the best thing you can do for newbies is teach them how to communicate technical ideas to non-technical people and how to asks questions that let you make sure business and technical peeps are aligned.

this is significantly easier said than done, and a lot of seems to be inherent rather than taught. I always reinforce with my peeps that stepping back and focussing on the bigger picture ‘so what’ aspects is actually more valuable than being super tech comic book guy. noobs often dont have the confidence to lean into that

git apologist fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Apr 3, 2023

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

i had a lovely job about 15 years ago but like most lovely jobs, the best part was the people. we’d all leave the office early at 4pm every friday and get drunk at a pub down the street. it was the most close knit group of work friends I’ve had and still hang out with or at least keep in touch with many of them today. somehow basically everyone got along and we all watched pirated tv shows in the lunchroom everyday on xbmc, it was truly the epitome of “I wish there was a way to know you're in the good old days before you've actually left them.”

polyester concept fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Apr 3, 2023

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
i've not had a new hire to mentor yet but half a year or so ago we had a work experience kid for a week and I was supervising him. he specifically wanted to go into computer touching as a career. hope i didn't make him want to run to the hills screaming

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Hammerite posted:

i've not had a new hire to mentor yet but half a year or so ago we had a work experience kid for a week and I was supervising him. he specifically wanted to go into computer touching as a career. hope i didn't make him want to run to the hills screaming

honestly, getting some hands on experience with a real world scenario in software dev is the best way to know if you're really into it or not. even if he ran for the hills, he at least had the experience to back up his decision and you might have saved someone 4 years of college just to realize later that they hate it.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

KidDynamite posted:

i think the best thing you can do for newbies is teach them how to communicate technical ideas to non-technical people and how to asks questions that let you make sure business and technical peeps are aligned.

Just having the ability to explain or ask questions to people is so invaluable. Yesterday one of my coworkers told me "the thing you just added to that thing, isn't working." What on earth does that even mean?

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE
English, Mutherfucker, Do You Speak It?

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

i've definitely also mentored people whose first language is not (american) english, and they generally hated doing presentations or anything that's "easier" for a native speaker, especially how the audience can be biased against that

i really wanted to get them public speaking and communications training for this reason, and i think it's something a lot of people could use as well, but we had a big downsizing and they got let go (i was not their manager but just a more senior person at the time)

i know people can learn and improve if given the resources and support and time to do so, but tech generally hates the idea of resources and support and time (this crap should be a guild) ime

Share Bear fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Apr 5, 2023

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE
public speaking in a second or third language is probably terrifying, though.

meanwhile i had a native english speaker lock up at a question on a conference call with our customer bad enough they went non verbal and slacked me to ask for help.

getting your first public “i dont know, but i can find out for you” out there on the table is a major milestone in every career.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

fresh_cheese posted:

public speaking in a second or third language is probably terrifying, though.

I had to publicly speak during a company wide meeting a few months back (i never did that kind of thing before) and to my complete surprise it seems that I'm not afraid to speak in public. It was in french (my first language) but i don't feel like it would have been harder in english

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
just got my yearly review and my mentorship abilities and efforts were specifically rated highly :smuggo:

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Cold on a Cob posted:

just got my yearly review and my mentorship abilities and efforts were specifically rated highly :smuggo:

doing the good lord’s work. highfive

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)
expensing as much as possible for lunch or drinks is the most important career skill i've ever learned

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

dougdrums posted:

expensing as much as possible for lunch or drinks is the most important career skill i've ever learned

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

dougdrums posted:

:hai:

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

dougdrums posted:

there's a balance to be had.

am i providing food/drinks for others? shoot for the real max amount
am i only providing food/drinks for myself? why yes, i did spend exactly one cent below the amount that would require a receipt

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Most valuable tip I got at old job was someone telling me the amount at which receipts didn't get flagged to hr

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

the per diem is conveniently how much booze i can drink and still do my presentations tomorrow morning with no hangover.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Cold on a Cob posted:

i got this too and now i am a manager :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

git apologist posted:

i got this too and now i am a manager :negative:

i may have to give in and take a promotion soon. my boss has been trying to give me the promotion since ~2013. i've had direct reports before (~10 of them) and i burned out hard doing it so he isn't pressuring me into it again or anything.