Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

i know its been a while for many of you, but what are some things you wished you learned/worked on when you started a job?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

i think there was a similar thread to this a while back? i cant find it though V_V

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
show them your forums posts

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

moreso than things its attitudes

when i was starting out, i had to work with typical IT/programmer knowitalls and i absolutely hate this attitude, so i try to not have that when working with junior folk

be sympathetic towards gaps in knowledge

remove the words "just", "simply", "only" or any other sort of diminutive about computer crap, computers are bullshit

reinforce that many things can be figured out by reading code or errors slowly and putting them in your own mental model

reinforce that things will break and it's ok to be wrong or in a failure state, because things CAN be fixed

be pragmatic rather than dogmatic most of the time (i think being dogmatic about source control/git workflows is good, to an extent)

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

don't tell them or show them how to do things. take the time to sit them down and have THEM go through the process as you guide and explain. this is especially useful if it's a real world situation and not some abstract practice

emphasize that it's not only ok for them not to know everything, it's expected that they won't know jack poo poo

eventually they're going to have enough confidence to take a stab at something of their own volition without asking for backup first. it's also likely that they're going to gently caress something up when this happens. it's critical that you don't scold them when this happens and instead use it as yet another learning opportunity. if anything you should encourage them for taking initiative when this happens so they don't retreat and become terrified of doing anything without a month of meetings first. this is of course assuming they didn't do something colossally stupid like cowboy code in prod without an extremely good reason to do so

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
here's the coffee machine, here's how to make coffee, and most importantly here are the condititions under which it is their responsibility to make more coffee

HamAdams
Jun 29, 2018

yospos
we have a new guy on the team fresh out of college, and he was giving super detailed updates on when he'd be stepping away from his computer for things like rebooting or just a quick break (we're fully remote). i messaged him on the side and said something along the lines of "hey you don't gotta do that if it's short enough that nobody will realize you're gone." poor kid doesn't know how to slack off, what do they even teach in college these days???

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

where the bodies are buried

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
^ yeah be sure to let them know what happens if they dont work out

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Shaggar posted:

^ yeah be sure to let them know what happens if they dont work out

well, sitting _is_ deadly

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

HamAdams posted:

we have a new guy on the team fresh out of college, and he was giving super detailed updates on when he'd be stepping away from his computer for things like rebooting or just a quick break (we're fully remote). i messaged him on the side and said something along the lines of "hey you don't gotta do that if it's short enough that nobody will realize you're gone." poor kid doesn't know how to slack off, what do they even teach in college these days???

everyone's like that when they start. all nervous but still kinda excited that they're working with computers and technology and have a real job

give 'em a couple months and it'll all disappear

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Shaggar posted:

show them your forums posts

i showed her yours and now shes a huge fan of linux

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?

HamAdams posted:

this also happens when people are scarred by micromanagers or aren't sure how teams statuses are patrolled at your job.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Share Bear posted:

moreso than things its attitudes

when i was starting out, i had to work with typical IT/programmer knowitalls and i absolutely hate this attitude, so i try to not have that when working with junior folk

be sympathetic towards gaps in knowledge

remove the words "just", "simply", "only" or any other sort of diminutive about computer crap, computers are bullshit

reinforce that many things can be figured out by reading code or errors slowly and putting them in your own mental model

reinforce that things will break and it's ok to be wrong or in a failure state, because things CAN be fixed

be pragmatic rather than dogmatic most of the time (i think being dogmatic about source control/git workflows is good, to an extent)

this is good advice

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

oh and teach them how to ask questions about things like:

1. state what you're trying to accomplish, and how that is supposed to work, and why (in their mental model)
2. state what your setup is for attempting to accomplish this (tools/resources being used)
3. show what you've attempted, with logs if possible from the stuff in #2

while it's fine to field more specific shorter questions, usually there's the aspect of people having to figure out what you really want from details
. saying that up front is better for a technical audience, imo.

PIZZA.BAT posted:

don't tell them or show them how to do things. take the time to sit them down and have THEM go through the process as you guide and explain. this is especially useful if it's a real world situation and not some abstract practice

emphasize that it's not only ok for them not to know everything, it's expected that they won't know jack poo poo

basically this, its good

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

teach them rubber ducking, because that poo poo works like magic

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
mentoring which void works best for screaming into as well flippantly discussing opsec

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

rotor posted:

here's the coffee machine, here's how to make coffee, and most importantly here are the condititions under which it is their responsibility to make more coffee

at motorola i worked my first year on nights, and a half hour before i clocked out (so around 6:30a) i would brew up two fresh Bunns full of beans.

in hindsight, they did not deserve me

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
teach them that the computer is evil and the gun is good because it shoots death, and purifies the earth of the filth of computers

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

at motorola i worked my first year on nights, and a half hour before i clocked out (so around 6:30a) i would brew up two fresh Bunns full of beans.

in hindsight, they did not deserve me

they absolutely did not

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
show them the differences between what works generally wherever you go and what has to be done a certain way because COMPANY demands it to be that way.

tell them that working 60 hours a week and weekends and never taking PTO is VERY UNHEALTHY.

"enterprise" level code is bullshit and it's ok for your code to look like it's straight out of your comp sci 100 level class because it's readable and maintainable. (code like the next person working on it has a gun and knows where you live)

pushing back on something you feel is wrong is ok as long as you're communicating your issue with it professionally.

it's not ok to be the dev that just blindly codes whatever is assigned. show them the bigger picture because it will save them from making bad code design decisions.

never be afraid to ask questions. it's not a sign of weakness. it's a sign that you actually care.

show them how to write USEFUL unit tests. if your test library makes it hard to impossible to actually test scenarios, find something else.

Not everyone is into books, but this is the only one I'd ever recommend to anyone new or veteran (The Pragmatic Programmer): https://pragprog.com/titles/tpp20/the-pragmatic-programmer-20th-anniversary-edition/

rotor posted:

teach them rubber ducking, because that poo poo works like magic

100% although most of the time this occurs when trying to explain why something isn't working to a coworker instead of a plastic duck.

Share Bear posted:

this is huge but is a process.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

poemdexter posted:

100% although most of the time this occurs when trying to explain why something isn't working to a coworker instead of a plastic duck.

this is the whole point of the technique, use an inanimate object for your socratic dialogs so you dont have to bother someone else with it

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
one last thing because i remember the anxiety of my first few months on the job...

you don't have to understand every line of the entire codebase to make changes.

also for mentors, wait until the mentee feels just a tad bit comfortable before dumping all your cool .bash_profile aliases, secret scripts, hotkey setups, and IDE hacks on a new person. it's hard to tell what's normal work machine setup and what's bespoke artisanal farm to table grass-fed customization when you start out and can be completely overwhelming.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

also don't be afraid to toss people into the deep end from time to time. it not only forces them to swim and therefore build trust in their own capabilities, it also demonstrates that you too have trust in them which is empowering*

*do not do this if you're one of those people who do not understand what effective leadership is and will view this as an opportunity to nitpick them when they're feeling proud of an accomplishment

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

my favorite is telling new people that nothing serious will be expected of them for at least six months and then kicking them square in the back about a month to two months in

'hey $newbie, remember when i said we wouldn't be throwing you into the deep end for at least six months? so something came up yesterday and-'

:evilbuddy:

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
tell them that they can have a delicious cookie, but only if they can successfully exit vim without googling it

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

HamAdams posted:

kids grow up having to ask permission to use the toilet, being graded on everything, and generally having it impressed upon them that the world is full of rigid disciplinarians who will punish them for any bit of trivial bullshit. it takes a while to get that crap out of your head

"this isn't school, nobody is going to flunk you or give you detention because you have to go to the bathroom"

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

The_Franz posted:

kids grow up having to ask permission to use the toilet, being graded on everything, and generally having it impressed upon them that the world is full of rigid disciplinarians who will punish them for any bit of trivial bullshit. it takes a while to get that crap out of your head

"this isn't school, nobody is going to flunk you or give you detention because you have to go to the bathroom"

pretty sure everyone figures this out in college though, if they somehow haven't clued into this in high school

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
new guy i've mentored on and off on my team does weird chat things that are too petty for me to complain about, nevermind even ask him to stop doing. i almost wonder if he's trolling me but that's just :tinfoil: af of me to think so i've learned to ignore it.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
introduce them around as the FNG

explain to them how things really work. if they’re just out of college, they don’t know poo poo. tell them you expect them to be useless for a few months, and they should become familiar with the process before trying to make a change. tell them *why* you do some things. like, we’ve got quarterly releases so we have to get the frobulator unit locked down before testing components that depend on it.

don’t depress them with all the things that are wrong and dumb at this company, in particular executive decisions far above them. they’ll have plenty of time for that. start small and work up.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Cold on a Cob posted:

new guy i've mentored on and off on my team does weird chat things that are too petty for me to complain about, nevermind even ask him to stop doing. i almost wonder if he's trolling me but that's just :tinfoil: af of me to think so i've learned to ignore it.

what are theses weird chat things do they put an x after serious messages

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Cold on a Cob posted:

details, im fascinated by weird posters

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

good advice posted itt :cheers:

i showed them our software, and gave them a chunk of what i am working on for their first assignment. i told them to come to me if they had any questions or pboelms

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
lol who did you piss off

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

tactfully but firmly make sure they know that indents are tabs not spaces, and that allman brace style is the only format that is acceptable

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Jonny 290 posted:

details, im fascinated by weird posters

one thing he does is say “thanks” and then like 20 seconds later will 👍 the message I sent that he thanked me for in the first place. it’s just long enough for me to have tabbed out of the chat window so his emoji triggers a notification

like nothing egregious but little things that kinda bug me. better than the other dev we had that sent me gifs every other message, thankfully she got poached for another project

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

AnimeIsTrash posted:

good advice posted itt :cheers:

i showed them our software, and gave them a chunk of what i am working on for their first assignment. i told them to come to me if they had any questions or pboelms

ask them if they have stairs in their house

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

HamAdams posted:

I’ve been mentoring some new devs and one asked me on her first or second day when our breaks were

Whenever, lol

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
there was a social channel at my last company where the tryhards were into things like posting "AFK 11-13 minutes, child bleeding, dont think its fatal tho"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol