Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nae
Sep 3, 2020

what.

Leave posted:

Oh, yeah, Stine was not afraid to gently caress people up on the last page and just end the story. Fuckin madman

The Beast from the East ended with the kids finally escaping only to be attacked by the Beasts from the West, which pissed me off as a kid but in hindsight actually owns

edit for my fondest Fear Street memory: The Runaway was about a girl with psychic powers, and the climax is her realizing her best friend has also had psychic powers all along and has been framing her for Bad Psychic Stuff the entire time. They have a cool telekinesis fight in the street and just when it seems like the protag is outmatched, she thinks ‘oh wait why are we throwing stuff at each other when I can just crush her brain inside her skull?’ It was brutal poo poo, the villain ended up institutionalized with mega brain-damage and the protag was traumatized by the whole thing. Great book.

Nae fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Apr 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HateTheInternet
Dec 19, 2004

He just put the kibosh on me, do you know what the kibosh means, it's a kibosh!
I remember the kid in "Why I'm Afraid of Bees" browsed a message board in 1994 to help him beat a video game. Nothing from Goosebumps stuck with me quite as much as this did.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
beast from the east is best. all those stupid game rules. safe because COVERED IN BUGS

this made me curious what the russian translations were like, and while usually they use the original cover, sometimes... idk what's goin on there on the middle right

also UZHASTIKI is a wonderful translation title

ed: i guess the vaguely horny covers are actually from the side Fear Street series, which i had forgotten about

Qtotonibudinibudet fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Apr 4, 2023

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
My boyfriend got me this Goosebumps blanket for my birthday last year.

It's not really big enough to sleep with. It works great for across my lap while I'm reading in my chair in the cold Detroit winters, though.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

disaster pastor posted:

I remain convinced that The Ghost Next Door is the reason I spent so much of my childhood deeply afraid of dying in a house fire

This is the only one that really stuck with me over the years. The "twist" totally got me as a kid, did not see it coming at all. So I had a lot of the same fear for a long time.

There was also a Goosebumps spinoff Choose Your Own Adventure style series, I don't remember the title of it but one of them had a couple bad endings like being turned into a flower or into a bird's egg. That one really got to me at the time too, not so much scared but more a "Woah!" way.

rox
Sep 7, 2016

UwUnabomber posted:

It's not really big enough to sleep with. It works great for across my lap while I'm reading in my chair in the cold Detroit winters, though.

that owns

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

I'm sick of seeing animated weiners french kissing in every fucking GBS thread.
1 Haunted Mask
2 Stay Out of the Closet
3 Night of the Living Dummy

out of the OP

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Apr 4, 2023

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER
Nov 11, 2020

H O R S E - S L A U G H T E R E R
i liked ghost next door as a kid because it was my first encounter with the idea of being unaware that you are a ghost

i don't know why i bothered to put a spoiler tag on there because if there is a spoiler involving ghosts then it can pretty much only be one thing

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

UwUnabomber posted:

oh drat i had the sheets version of this

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
My wife is a big Fear Street fan.

But me, I'm a goosebumper.

When I was a kid, I got a big anthology book that collected the first 5 or so bumps books. I ended up reading a bunch of them, all through like #25 or 50. I think I ended with the holofoil cover CYA book before I grew out of them.

Probably helped keep my reading habits going.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Goosebumps helped form my reading habits, too. Kid me felt so awesome, reading horror books; in my elementary school, when I got the Goosebumps out of the library, I used to have to go alone so that the covers couldn't scare other children.

Thinking on it now, that's kind of weird

Kitsunegari
Aug 5, 2013
When I was checking out The Abominable Snowman from the elementary school library, I had a classmate tell me she heard the book was so scary some kids who read it went blind lol

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
I learned to read really early. So when I was in kindergarten and the librarian would only let us check out little kid picture books I was... Upset. The teacher hears about this and tells her "Yeah just let him check out some chapter books or something. He can read fine." Cut to me scampering off down the hallway with Say Cheese and Die under my arm.

My mom hears about this and calls my teacher to ask if its because of all my skull and monster shirts. The teacher told her it was because she knew I'd get through them without having to come to her desk and ask what a word is every five minutes. My ego fed on that little conversation for years. It really pushed me to read harder and harder books until I was cracking open White Fang in fourth grade and begging my mom for old college anatomy textbooks at yard sales. (Because they had skeletons in them.)

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

UwUnabomber posted:

I learned to read really early. So when I was in kindergarten and the librarian would only let us check out little kid picture books I was... Upset. The teacher hears about this and tells her "Yeah just let him check out some chapter books or something. He can read fine." Cut to me scampering off down the hallway with Say Cheese and Die under my arm.

My mom hears about this and calls my teacher to ask if its because of all my skull and monster shirts. The teacher told her it was because she knew I'd get through them without having to come to her desk and ask what a word is every five minutes. My ego fed on that little conversation for years. It really pushed me to read harder and harder books until I was cracking open White Fang in fourth grade and begging my mom for old college anatomy textbooks at yard sales. (Because they had skeletons in them.)

It's true - anything with skeletons in it is automatically cool. (Which includes everyone here, as far as I'm aware ;) )

But now that you mention both Goosebumps and skeleton-based textbooks in your post, now I'm wondering what an anatomy textbook written by R. L. Stine might be like! :D

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Upgrade posted:

i read the first book he did... and it does not translate well. also a lot of very poorly written sex.

I'm sure it can't be worse than the sex I've actually had, so it might be pretty true to life for me.

s_c_a_r_e_
May 9, 2003
i don't think i remember any of the goosebump books, but i know i obsessively read all of them that i could get my hands on. i would check them out again, but i don't know if i would still enjoy them.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

Youremother posted:

My favorite Goosebumps was Egg Monsters from Mars, and I couldn't really explain why. It had this really weird dreamlike atmosphere that captivated me I guess, and I liked that the monsters in it seemed nice. I had a pretty extensive collection of Goosebumps books when I was a kid and was always actively searching through yard sales and thrift stores for more.

gently caress. god. this one was disgusting to read i remember. i think i loved it too

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

i vaguely recall one of the CYOA books having an ending where you got turned into one of the resident animated skeletons by slowly disappearing all of your organs

fuckin badass

why cant i actually get turned into an animated skeleton

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?

Kitsunegari posted:

When I was checking out The Abominable Snowman from the elementary school library, I had a classmate tell me she heard the book was so scary some kids who read it went blind lol

I was a gullible kid and some kids in my class convinced me that the covers would glow red and you'd get sucked into the book. I remember feeling actually scared by it.

I never liked masks at the store because of Haunted Mask.

I don't remember a lot about the books but there are scenes and imagery I really have strong memories of with a few I read.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep
can't remember what it was called, but the one with the sponge that was attacking people was pretty wild

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
My mom met RL Stine at a thing and he told her he typically wrote a Goosebumps in 14 days but if pushed he could do one in 10 days. Absolute maniac. George Simenon numbers.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

UwUnabomber posted:

The Goosebumps mascot is the most 90s Dude ever. I had a Boglins knockoff of him, just his head with little skeleton arms and you could puppet his mouth.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 22 days!)

the cover of the first Night of the Living Dummy scared me.

it was pretty crazy just how much more violent the fear street series were

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

King Vidiot posted:

The Goosebumps mascot is the most 90s Dude ever. I had a Boglins knockoff of him, just his head with little skeleton arms and you could puppet his mouth.

Curly is cool and smart and he is my friend.

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib

Karl Welzein posted:

I enjoyed the Dune Reads Goosebumps podcast.

I'm not familiar with this but I do like the GooseBuds podcast. It's the guys from Continue? from YouTube, which is a channel I've watched since forever. Fun

hark posted:

can't remember what it was called, but the one with the sponge that was attacking people was pretty wild

It Came From Beneath The Sink or something like that. One of my faves, for whatever reason. Also Monster Bloods, The Barking Ghost, kinda that early-middle era of books.

Mustached5thGrader
Oct 1, 2011

My mother won't let me grow a goatee.
End of chapter: and then a bloody ghost came into my room!

Start of next chapter: it was just my mom covered in red yarn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
How I learned to fly had the scariest ending of all: the bully kid who steals the secret flying recipe gets recruited by the government