Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

My "favorite" was Slappy the ventriloquist dummy. Ugh!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Say Cheese and Die! was always my favorite, mostly because of the skeletons on the cover.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Beast from the east was my fave, not a classic one but it was about a some kids who who get lost in the woods and have to play a convoluted game with a group of weird monsters or they get eaten. Reminded me of playing in the woods by my house and the made up games we'd play

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I read quite a few but the Night of the Living Dummy ones are the only ones I remember.

I also recall playing the game on the first PC on which I'd ever seen Windows 95, how exciting that was.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.

Handsome Ralph posted:

Say Cheese and Die! was always my favorite, mostly because of the skeletons on the cover.

The start of a road that ends in Misfits tattoos.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Chicken chicken

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

the sex ghost posted:

Beast from the east was my fave, not a classic one but it was about a some kids who who get lost in the woods and have to play a convoluted game with a group of weird monsters or they get eaten. Reminded me of playing in the woods by my house and the made up games we'd play

Ah yeah, that was a good one. I also remember reading A Night in Terror Tower a lot, back in the day! Also, I'm not sure about you guys but the Goosebumps Monster Blood series was always really popular and spoken about with hushed tones at my primary school, for some reason.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

I remain convinced that The Ghost Next Door is the reason I spent so much of my childhood deeply afraid of dying in a house fire

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Something about the cover to Say Cheese and Die just calls to people, it was my first Goosebumps book too. I remember thinking the surprise Ninja ending was lame. Goosebumps had some of the best choose your own adventure books as well. I think Camp Nightmare and/or Horrorland were choose your own adventure?

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

My favorite is Attack of the Jack-O'-Lanterns

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

My favorite Goosebumps was Egg Monsters from Mars, and I couldn't really explain why. It had this really weird dreamlike atmosphere that captivated me I guess, and I liked that the monsters in it seemed nice. I had a pretty extensive collection of Goosebumps books when I was a kid and was always actively searching through yard sales and thrift stores for more.

ddinkins
Sep 5, 2012

One of my favorites was You Can't Scare Me! because it was about a bunch of dorky kids trying and failing to frighten the popular girl at school. That same girl also managed to throw bees at the main character

Skratte
Nov 11, 2010

I had a choose your own adventure goosebumps about a haunted theme park, it was pretty cool.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

My favorite was How I Learned To Fly by a mile. I loved all the Goosebumps books when I was a kid, but that one just really appealed to me for some reason. It wasn't scary, but it was still really good.

Also my dang mom sold all my Goosebumps books at a yard sale one day when I was at school without telling me and man was I pissed when I got home. I literally had about 50 of them and they were all in relatively good condition (I was a careful kid, but still a kid). They probably would have just ended up donated to a library like all my other books when I moved from physical media to digital, but still it's crazy how much money I would have got for them if I had sold them instead. My mom sold the lot for a quarter. I could have AT LEAST doubled that if not tripled it.

rox
Sep 7, 2016

I loved Monster Blood so much as a kid that my grandma helped me make some starchy goop mixed with green food colouring and i was excited at first but then i got really scared and cried

rox
Sep 7, 2016

the tv episode and the non-book sequel gave me nightmares for weeks too

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

One Day in Horrorland scared thr poo poo out of me when I first read it.

I got a sweet box set of the first 7 or 8 books one birthday

rox
Sep 7, 2016

i used to love reading blogger beware and was sad to see that its no longer online except in the form of internet archive (ftw) and an annotated wiki that my browser tells me doesnt support https

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
One of the choose your own adventure ones had you remember page 132 for whatever reason with "132, 132, I pick red instead of blue" and there is nothing in this world that is drilled harder into my brain at a core level. Oh, and a couple days ago I woke up thinking about the Doom Slide from Welcome to Horrorland. Memory is a fuckin weird thing indeed.

Relating to this subforum's title, I don't know how many of these books I got from the Scholastic Book Fair but it was a solid chunk. Like, definitely Egg Monsters from Mars, I 100% sure know that, and definitely the last book in the original series, Monster Blood IV, and probably most of them in between. And then shortly after Series 2000 started I just lost interest. I know I had the two-part Invasion of the Body Squeezers.
God, I'd love to read some of them again for a laugh but I doubt they hold up as an adult.

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house

Handsome Ralph posted:

Same

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Nothing scarier than seeing the budget limits on the tv adaptation of Horrorland.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

I own every single original Goosebumps book, and most of the series 2000s, various Fear Street and spin offs. I think the dummy ones scared me the most. I remember Shocker on Shock Street was a favorite for some reason too maybe just because the cover art was sick

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
i read tons and tons of goosebumps but i read another RL Stine book, "The Nightmare Hour" i think it was, and i remember those stories being pure nightmare fuel compared to most goosebumps books. good poo poo

my favorite goosebumps was the CYOA where you start off going down in your grandma's basement and you can choose whether to eat some old rear end peanut butter (which turns you into a giant) or some old rear end jelly (which shrinks you into a tiny little fella)

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I used to read these so fast my parents had to buy them in bulk

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

The Ghost Next Door is way too good to be a spooky kids book

rox
Sep 7, 2016

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I used to read these so fast my parents had to buy them in bulk

lol same. around half of them were french-translation versions because i was in french immersion at the time

CHAIR DE POULE

my teachers were very tired of me handing in book reports on them

rox
Sep 7, 2016

holy poo poo i was looking them up to double check and the covers from the ones released in france OWN. i never knew about this, some of these are insanely good lmao

https://goosebumps.fandom.com/wiki/Goosebumps/French_releases

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
thread music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hy1YTWOlRiM

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Maaan.. Other Countries get WAY better cover art than the US, like across the board. in every medium

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
I've got a copy of Red Rain, one of Steins adult horror novels. I need to try to get around to reading it.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I think Stine should write more joke books.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQlPr3hxXuA

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

why is it that I struggle to remember details from something I read a month ago, but in the few seconds between clicking the title and the thread opening, I had already summoned over half the covers and plots of the books in the OP

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.
I had nightmares about the blue blobs from the cover of one of the monster blood books.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

the thing i remember most about goosebumps books is that RL Stine was really into his body horror

Karl Welzein
Apr 15, 2022

I enjoyed the Dune Reads Goosebumps podcast.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Has anybody here read RL Stine's adult fiction? I wonder if his writing style is the same as in his kids stuff.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Youremother posted:

Has anybody here read RL Stine's adult fiction? I wonder if his writing style is the same as in his kids stuff.

i read the first book he did... and it does not translate well. also a lot of very poorly written sex.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

I missed the bus with Goosebumps but I didn't with Fear Street. But the covers were always striking, and the TV show was oddly good and scary as well. I was rewatching some of those recently and they certainly weren't afraid to have a downbeat ending, either. Were the books like that?

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

I missed the bus with Goosebumps but I didn't with Fear Street. But the covers were always striking, and the TV show was oddly good and scary as well. I was rewatching some of those recently and they certainly weren't afraid to have a downbeat ending, either. Were the books like that?

I immediately recall a few books with downer endings: Be Careful What You Wish For ended with the narrator not realizing that she had been turned into a bird by her bully using a wish*. The first Haunted Mask ends with the protagonist being warned that putting the mask on again will be permanent for anyone who wears it, and her little brother gets his hands on it immediately (Which was ignored/retconned by the sequels?) Return of the Mummy ends on a beat heavily implying that the protagonist just received a fatal bite from the villain in the form of a scarab beetle.

*("The protagonist is blissfully unaware that they just got The Bad Ending" seems like another common trick for RL to end on.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Oh, yeah, Stine was not afraid to gently caress people up on the last page and just end the story. Fuckin madman