Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Tarquinn posted:

They're clearly too busy making their wealth trickle down on us.

... hey, why does it smell like pee??

It shouldn’t?

because they are actually making GBS threads all over us instead.

I’m saying it smells like feces

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Asterite34 posted:

Man, rich people used to at least patronize the arts, commission paintings and sculptures and poo poo. And it's not like rich people were nicer in Renaissance Italy, it was the Medicis and Borgias and other fuckers who were constantly poisoning each other and throwing orgies in the Vatican. But back then they sponsored the likes of Michelangelo and Raphael and other Ninja Turtles. Nowadays they throw their fortunes at Ben loving Shapiro to make whiny-voiced internet videos.

https://www.exurbe.com/black-death-covid-and-why-we-keep-telling-the-myth-of-a-renaissance-golden-age-and-bad-middle-ages/

quote:

Thus the radical oversimplification is that, when times get desperate, those in power pour money into art, architecture, grandeur, even science, because such things can provide legitimacy and thus aid stability. Intimidating palaces, grand oratory, epics about the great deeds of a conqueror, expensive tutors so the prince and princess have rare skills like Greek and music, even a chemical treatise whose dedication praises the Duke of Such-and-such, these were all investments in legitimacy, not fruits of peace but symptoms of a desperate time. In an era when a book cost as much as a house (it really did!), and Florence’s Laurenziana library cost a bigger percentage of their GDP than the Moon Landing cost in US GDP, you don’t get that level of investment unless elites think they’re going to get something out of it. Just as today giant corporations fund charities or space tech because they get something out of it, publicity raising their stock prices, so a mighty merchant family might repair a church or build a grand public square and put their coat of arms on it, drawing investment and intimidating rivals.

Culture is a form of political competition—if war is politics by other means, culture is too, but lower risk. This too happened throughout the Middle Ages, but the Renaissance was ever-so-much-more-so in comparison, and whenever you get a combination of (A) increasing wealth and (B) increasing instability, that’s a recipe for (C) increasing art and innovation, not because people are at peace and have the leisure to do art, but because they’re desperate after three consecutive civil wars and hope they can avoid a fourth one if they can shore up the regime with a display of cultural grandeur. The fruits fill our museums and libraries, but they aren’t relics of an age of prosperous peace, they’re relics of a lived experience which was, as I said, terrible but great.

In this line of thought, the Sacklers didn't donate tons of money to the arts and universities because they are confident. The Sacklers donated the money because they are worried that their crimes will catch up to them. Jeff Bozos doesn't need to buy a social media network because he knows he's a top dog. Elon Musk spends $44 million buying Twitter because he's worried about his own reputation.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
V Don't turn around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBfFDTPPlaM

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

syntaxfunction posted:

My old housemate was *very* into poetry. He read out one of his poems at once stage, started wringing his wrists (literally, like who does that?) and said he felt it was too pretentious and not sincere enough. Apparently "yeah, it is way too pretentious" is the wrong answer cause he got huffy and told me he's been published in local zines.

What is wringing his wrists

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Milo and POTUS posted:

What is wringing his wrists

HORNEY VAPE BRO
Jun 14, 2009

Emcees like Kendrick Lamar, Lil Wayne and Tom McDonald are like our modern day Shakespeares except they're rich as gently caress for it

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
On the philosophy point, they don't learn it to begin with, and even if they did, there's no money there. Maybe you get a PhD and teach (ugh, work), and make maybe a living if you can land it until you get into an inappropriate relationship with an undergrad, which is technically legal but hella unethical, and you knew that and did it anyway.

On the poetry side, basically nobody reads anything anymore. And how do you monetize a few stanzas? Still got novels about X being pounded in the butt by Y or lame stories about boy wizards written by a transphobe if you were even taught how to read I guess, but not much money there anymore.

Just buy netflix and turn brain off. Or steal the content if you are still cool.

So I dunno, if you have more money than you know what to do with, bankroll a new superhero movie or buy twitter or something.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Matt Pike writes poetry about smoking weed and wizards and annunakis and poo poo

Al Cisneros writes poetry about smoking weed and religion and esoteric topics

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Apr 4, 2023

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Hark, hark! The dogs do bark!
The beggars are coming to town!
Some in rags, some in tags,
And some in velvet gowns.

Evergreen, really.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

That's hosed up, how does she get them to hover like that? Rich people are weird.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

I just listened to Blessed Black Wings front to back and it sounded like a bunch of bards tramping through and shouting poetry at people, whether they wanted it or not

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Yep.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzYykIA1xVg

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Ween is one of the best bands ever

My girlfriend didn't like Ween at first, but then she listened to The Mollusk and Quebec and then it all clicked

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Apr 4, 2023

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXYlFuWEuKI

Its a bingo.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XykIswFgLpU

I saw Erykah Badu last year at Red Rocks, she is definitely rich

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Apr 4, 2023

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
Jack Kero...whack!

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
This is another good one, sticks in your head the more you think about it:

And the days are not full enough
And the nights are not full enough
And life slips by like a field mouse
Not shaking the grass.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
have you seen elon's tweets?

poetry in motion

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I wrote you a poem about a frenulum instead of working:

Frenulum, frenulum
Shredded by our love
Her lips so sweet
Her tongue so lithe
Her piercings lock up and I'm trapped between

A bestial screeching
Her head yanks away
Member so stiff
Now torn and slack