Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dk2m
May 6, 2009
Back in the day, if you were some rich aristocrat fuckoo, you'd spend your days writing poetry and philsophy, and boasting about living a leisurely life where you can spend your time on higher pursuits. but now, our rich people dont do poo poo like that, they post sigma grind-set videos on instagram and spend their time trying to make even more money

where are the rich people and their home built laboratories, trying to invent little clouds for their gardens or something. what happened to the dudes who would get ridiculously good at painting so they could woo the rich girl in the next town over and in the process, start a new visual narrative movement. instead of trying to live as easily as possible and doing dumb art things, they all now wake up at 4am to take a cold shower and spend their day trying to diversify their portfolio. bunk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

They do it's called tweeting.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
the smartphone exists now OP

modern intercontinental airliner travel exists OP

internet clout now exists OP

FUK U OP!

Chinatown fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Apr 3, 2023

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Basically my point is that the world has changed.

And everyone has realized that poetry is, at teh end of the day, WACK AS FUK.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Rich kids are too busy doing drugs and coping with various mental illnesses caused by being too wealthy apparently.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Back in the day the rich had slaves that wrote the poetry for them. hth.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
They're clearly too busy making their wealth trickle down on us.

... hey, why does it smell like pee??

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Ever since the lower middle class office workers could just gently caress around at work and pursue their hobbies such as jet skis the rich writing about their lame rear end leisure time just doesn't hit.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

and miles to post before i sleep.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Why don't the rich run social clubs or throw elaborate dinner parties for visiting VIPs at their estates anymore? You never hear them brag "I'm entertaining the Duke of Bumblefuck and the Olympic skinny dipping gold medalist at the manor this weekend" like in the old days.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I like poetry and I'm a dipshit bitch, so let that be a lesson!

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Poetry requires a connection to humanity, which is something anyone with more than £10,000 in their savings immediately loses

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
There has been a very real decline of interest in poetry, OP, all through the 20th century and possibly earlier.

There are lots of possible explanations. The fact that it became something made by/for "rich people", or just for fancy, artsy people might be a big reason. If you go back far enough, it was far more accessible and widespread. Back in the day, you'd have people who'd memorize (or even make up) poems without even being literate. The fact that it's a poem made memorization easier.

Though you could also argue that it's not really in decline, and most modern poetry is just set to music. We just lost interest in poems on their own.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I'm poor and write poetry. Here's a sample.

Titled ":V" posted:

The turkey baster debased her
After that I couldn't look in her eyes
She had a fetish I couldn't provide
But then she went off and hosed other guys

GundamHealer
Jul 23, 2022

syntaxfunction posted:

:what:

Joakim Brecht
Aug 20, 2013
They invented the middle class and delegated it to them instead.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Astrochicken posted:

*quietly takes out a suitcase from under the bed, begins assembling a sniper rifle*

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
They lost the urge after what befell that poor man from Nantucket.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
THe poor have taken over poetry and it is called RAP ROCK!

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

syntaxfunction posted:

I bore witness to a slurry
of her fetid anal curry
Into my mouth it slides
My diarrhoea prize

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES

super sweet best pal posted:

Why don't the rich run social clubs or throw elaborate dinner parties for visiting VIPs at their estates anymore? You never hear them brag "I'm entertaining the Duke of Bumblefuck and the Olympic skinny dipping gold medalist at the manor this weekend" like in the old days.

you don't?

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

It's all about generational wealth you never had to work for

Those are the ones living a life of leisure

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I’m a rich piece of poo poo
My wealth I have stolen
If the world were more just
My head, she’d be rollin’

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I performed this piece at my local poetry slam, with a background tape (casette duh) of found sounds I compiled (the sounds were largely snippets I recorded at amateur music nights poorly spliced together). I could tell everyone was in awe because not one word was spoken after it, I was just silently ushered off the stage.

quote:

I remember when I was a CHILD
I walked the path I walked
And chalked the path I chalked

Wandering to and for and fro and o-
ver there when I saw something shine
Like a pebble of jewel in a bed pan so fine
And I held it close only to see that I am no
CHILD of mine shall be welcomed here
I heard say tell of pray tell oh well

No longer a CHILD now an ADULT CHILD
I started a YouTube channel for the wild
Chance of becoming famous and hoping that
Like a clown in a Batman suit hoping for head
That someone will see my videos where I pontificate
And splendiferate
And verbally masturbate

Give me a shiny coin which I can spend
On a new society so I can up-end
The fact that I have never been touched
Is enough to end my world of cuck

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Is this the new rap battle thread

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Nobody reads modern poetry. The only people that read poetry are other poets trying to get published in poetry magazines. I doubt 99.9% of people can name a contemporary poet.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Poetry died with its inventor, Edgar Allan Poe

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
they can write all the poetry they like :thermidor:

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Poetry ain't enough anymore, you need rhythm as well now. Rich folks, by and large, do not have it.

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
They have no real lives an so no internal dialogue.

Something you need to know about rich people is they are always busy. Its often pointless busy, but they are being mentally busy.

Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, a way to stop people being depressed is about putting aside bad thoughts you cant control and staying busy.

This isn't two disconnected things.

Sitting and having time to think and write poetry, is not something a rich person wants to do. Because what does thinking do? It makes you depressed.

And who should be the most depressed and upset about why they are rich?

And yes it is different now than the 1800's.

Wee fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Apr 3, 2023

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Usher - Yeah

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

Songbearer posted:

Poetry requires a connection to humanity, which is something anyone with more than £10,000 in their savings immediately loses

Its this. Humanity is a precious jewel posessed by those that struggle or have faced an adversity that is not governed by which tie to wear while you lay off 1000s of workers in order to increase shareholder value .001%

The biggest problem I see is that the we will never know a lot of the people that could be producing amazing works of art because maybe they are trapped in menial jobs like standing in front of self checkout at walmart where every third person steals 50 bucks worth of products. The worker doesn't care though because they aren't getting paid enough to manage their life....they may actually be daydreaming about creating a great work of poetry, or a fictional narrative about crayons loving in space, but alas, we will never know. The sad thing is that walmart has done the self checkout for the same reason the person above cuts those jobs.

ManBoyChef fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Apr 3, 2023

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

syntaxfunction posted:

Ngl. This is lit as gently caress. Might get it tattooed on my inner thigh so when someone goes down they get a little example of the humanity im into.

naem
May 29, 2011

I went to school for art and at the grad level it was:

1. people like me who are not rich who thought about teaching
2. rich people’s weird sheltered adult offspring whose parents were willing to pay rent and tuition to get them out of the house for another couple years in a way that was blandly socially acceptable
3. foreign students hoping to stay in the us for a couple more years
4. women in their late twenties hoping to marry money who realized they couldn’t compete with 20 year olds anymore

the only people with any interest in the subject matter were potential future teachers and that’s because you were planning out your lesson plan’s because that is the source of your future income

everyone else was in a mating frenzy

you know how vulcans are emotionless but every seven years they return to their home planet to get in fistfights and breed? imagine a really nerdy version of that with actual people most of whom were really unattractive

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

ManBoyChef posted:

Its this. Humanity is a precious jewel posessed by those that struggle or have faced an adversity that is not governed by which tie to wear while you lay off 1000s of workers in order to increase shareholder value .001%

The biggest problem I see is that the people that we will never know a lot of the people that could be producing amazing works of art because maybe they are trapped in menial jobs like standing in front of self checkout at walmart where every third person steals 50 bucks worth of products. The worker doesn't care though because they aren't getting paid enough to manage their life....they may actually be daydreaming about creating a great work of poetry, or a fictional narrative about crayons loving in space, but alas, we will never know.

don't worry the tech elite have taken care of that with AI. So now all the proles don't have to be bothered with pesky thoughts about art or philosophy, and can instead focus on increasing their productivity by 1.3% so they don't starve to death

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Man, rich people used to at least patronize the arts, commission paintings and sculptures and poo poo. And it's not like rich people were nicer in Renaissance Italy, it was the Medicis and Borgias and other fuckers who were constantly poisoning each other and throwing orgies in the Vatican. But back then they sponsored the likes of Michelangelo and Raphael and other Ninja Turtles. Nowadays they throw their fortunes at Ben loving Shapiro to make whiny-voiced internet videos.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

dk2m posted:

Back in the day, if you were some rich aristocrat fuckoo, you'd spend your days writing poetry and philsophy, and boasting about living a leisurely life where you can spend your time on higher pursuits. but now, our rich people dont do poo poo like that, they post sigma grind-set videos on instagram and spend their time trying to make even more money

where are the rich people and their home built laboratories, trying to invent little clouds for their gardens or something. what happened to the dudes who would get ridiculously good at painting so they could woo the rich girl in the next town over and in the process, start a new visual narrative movement. instead of trying to live as easily as possible and doing dumb art things, they all now wake up at 4am to take a cold shower and spend their day trying to diversify their portfolio. bunk
Because money was the only way to publish anything, including mocking comments about your poo poo poems and now everyone with a phone can roast the gently caress out of anyone poo poo poety.

Asterite34 posted:

Man, rich people used to at least patronize the arts, commission paintings and sculptures and poo poo. And it's not like rich people were nicer in Renaissance Italy, it was the Medicis and Borgias and other fuckers who were constantly poisoning each other and throwing orgies in the Vatican. But back then they sponsored the likes of Michelangelo and Raphael and other Ninja Turtles. Nowadays they throw their fortunes at Ben loving Shapiro to make whiny-voiced internet videos.
It was actually the "powerful" patronizing artists to serve their interests. The fact the Medicis were rich is just related to them being in power.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

Asterite34 posted:

Dude, Ben Shapiro is making art....he is a piss artist. He is just literally spraying piss out of his mouth constantly.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They ran out of pleasing word combinations and they're not smart enough to invent more. The number of available, traditional-pattern but new-to-poetry phrases has been destroyed by all those 18th-19th century fops churning them out; only poo poo is left. They could try and transition to modern language and the new slang, but they're always beaten there by hip hop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
On banks of the river of money
I counted my cash on a spreadsheet
Excell
In this midnight so deep
I rested so deep
Milk and Honey
Thinking of gold at home