Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

rePalm sounds like a euphemism for masturbation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

when you gotta get it resurfaced because it's all hair

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

Silver Alicorn posted:

but I miss my zaurus more
one of my biggest computer-touching regrets is that I didn't ever get a chance to run obsd's zaurus port in its heyday

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
every now and then I think about getting another zaurus off eBay. but you cant download pdaXrom anymore

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park
Somehow Google still supports TLS 1.0, so you can use Gmail and Google search in the Pre's browser. Pretty much nothing else works natively, but someone developed a workaround by porting a squid proxy instance to MITM TLS 2.0 connections, which kinda works in a pinch, but you're still dealing with a 10 year old browser which doesn't fare that well with a lot of web pages.

The other challenges are the 2G/3G shutdowns and just the number of parts of society that now expect you to have an Android or iOS phone to interact with them.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

cheque_some posted:

Somehow Google still supports TLS 1.0, so you can use Gmail and Google search in the Pre's browser. Pretty much nothing else works natively, but someone developed a workaround by porting a squid proxy instance to MITM TLS 2.0 connections, which kinda works in a pinch, but you're still dealing with a 10 year old browser which doesn't fare that well with a lot of web pages.

The other challenges are the 2G/3G shutdowns and just the number of parts of society that now expect you to have an Android or iOS phone to interact with them.

ohhh thats right, that was actually the final straw, when i started getting hatemail from sprint about how 3g was gonna be EOLd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Dieter Bohn is a huge webOS nostalgia guy

https://www.theverge.com/2014/1/2/5264580/the-lost-secrets-of-webos

https://www.theverge.com/2019/6/6/18655404/webps-palm-pre-10-year-anniversary-community