Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

some dude making an unauthorized PalmOS port

rePalm

Photo Album

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
cool

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

where the gently caress do people get the time and knowledge to do this as a loving hobby

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

im ready to do graffiti on my iphone. this ios bullshit has gone on long enough

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i love this old embedded stuff with no memory protection

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

stop, rotor can only become so erect

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

carry on then posted:

where the gently caress do people get the time and knowledge to do this as a loving hobby

this guy is loving nuts. multiple emulators written and re-written just for development and then wrote a new kernel for the project from scratch

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
no

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
my Palm Treo in 2006 was way more functional as a task manager than anything even paid options for 2023 iOS

e: also the palmOS dope wars was pretty good

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

im ready to do graffiti on my iphone. this ios bullshit has gone on long enough

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

stop, rotor can only become so erect

dont you fuckin tell me how erect i can get

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

peak palm for me was when i had a clie that bluetooth tethered to my se t610. had ssh, aim, a lovely browser all at my fingertips anywhere

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

the clies were the best palm devices - that jog wheel made so much sense.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

ngl if i could have an iphone with phys keys and a scroll ball or dial i’d be all over it

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

mediaphage posted:

ngl if i could have an iphone with phys keys and a scroll ball or dial i’d be all over it

absolutely

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I don't think I've ever touched a palm device. My tv uses webOS but don't think that counts.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

palmos internally was a mess by the time the end rolled around. The networking in particular was apparently god awful.

I absolutely loved it as a user, and while i think replicating something like it starting from a modern context would be a great idea, I dont really understand why this dude is doing what he's doing.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

madness

but the kind that has entertaining results

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

thought 1: this is really cool

thought 2: this guy's hobby project makes anything I've built professionally look like a hello world that won't compile

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

by the time you get to him adding tapwave game support you know he's just completely around the bend

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

hell yeah I had that clie

I'd download articles from the front page in advance and read 'em while waiting for class to start :c00l:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
this guy is insane. he wrote an arm emulator for the dreamcast vmu so that it would be easier to write C for http://dmitry.gr/?r=05.Projects&proj=25.%20VMU%20Hacking

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i love the intro lamenting the death of the internet

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

rotor posted:

dont you fuckin tell me how erect i can get

*pulls out the mohs scale of hardness chart*

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

akadajet posted:

I don't think I've ever touched a palm device. My tv uses webOS but don't think that counts.

and my webos device has hp on the back so it doesn't either

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

it is weird how webos was kind of good when it was some nonsense "lets just start over" attempt, where palmos needed a windows 95 effort to just easily dominate the smartphone.

admittedly i don't think there has ever been a replication of windows 95 for just dragging a much more primitive platform into the future with minimal consumer pain.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

webos was really good and i wish it had succeeded. more platforms are better

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i have a soft spot for sailfish

but webos was so good at the time, i feel like a number of concepts it introduced are fairly common today

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

sailfish was cool too but webos actually had a chance to become a major platform and hp deliberately blew it

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

mediaphage posted:

but webos was so good at the time, i feel like a number of concepts it introduced are fairly common today

i ran sfos on an xa2 until i lost my phone and couldn't replace it for a reasonable price. rock solid experience

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Beeftweeter posted:

webos was really good and i wish it had succeeded. more platforms are better

gettin real tired of duopolies

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

mediaphage posted:

the card metaphor was great, and the synergy thing they had that handled things like contacts, image hosts, social media shares and things like that as pluggable services was loving fantastic.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

mediaphage posted:

yeah. theyre delicious

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

man i wonder what nokia phones would be like today if they'd managed to avoid microsoft's acquisition

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

rotor posted:

the card metaphor was great, and the synergy thing they had that handled things like contacts, image hosts, social media shares and things like that as pluggable services was loving fantastic.

telepathy was poised to be so loving cool

then the shift from protocols to platforms happened

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

im not familiar with this

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

rotor posted:

im not familiar with this

telepathy was the messaging/social/telephony framework under all the nokia linux devices, webos phones, kde today, and at one point gnome desktop.

https://telepathy.freedesktop.org/about/

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

webos ad appreciation station

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--Y3zasKbb0

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

those ads were so bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

such a reasonably sized device