Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

I'm sick of seeing animated weiners french kissing in every fucking GBS thread.

Archer666 posted:

They recycled ideas before Disney in the EU stuff too. Always some super weapon, there's always a smuggler with the same personality as Han Solo with an alien friend. Star Wars has and will always continue to be a creatively circular human centipede.

Kyp Durron and the Sun Crusher saga lmbo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020

Archer666 posted:

https://twitter.com/joeIsmillers/status/1648779987271528448

They recycled ideas before Disney in the EU stuff too. Always some super weapon, there's always a smuggler with the same personality as Han Solo with an alien friend. Star Wars has and will always continue to be a creatively circular human centipede.

There’s a comment by an Imperial admiral in the book where the empire formally surrendered to the new republic that he promises to immediately alert the republic if they find “yet another super weapon the emperor built in secret”

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i never read any of the old EU novels and i dont know anything about their stories or characters other than Thrawn must have left quite an impression based purely on the number of nerds who used variants of that name as their username on irc and usenet in the late 90's

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

istewart posted:

I want to see a Hutt Jedi who fights like Yoda. I will pay good money to see this.

This happens in The Crystal Star. I have no memory of anything else that happens.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020

Earwicker posted:

i never read any of the old EU novels and i dont know anything about their stories or characters other than Thrawn must have left quite an impression based purely on the number of nerds who used variants of that name as their username on irc and usenet in the late 90's

Thrawn was great at the time, a powerful enemy that wasn’t just strong because he had the force. Also he wasn’t just evil for the sake of it (like every sith ever).

His books were also the first(?) new star wars product since RotJ.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
The venn diagram of people who admire Thrawn and people who admire Erwin Rommel is probably a perfect circle.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Star Wars

Nothing but

Star Wars

Give me those

Star Wars

???????

Star Wars

If they should bar wars

Please let these

Star Wars

Stay

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Applewhite posted:

The venn diagram of people who admire Thrawn and people who admire Erwin Rommel is probably a perfect circle.

rommel was histories greatest geenral and hell, he was a good honournbal;e person to boot

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I'm just saying.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020

Applewhite posted:

No, cause one is an imaginary bad guy it’s fun to enjoy and the other’s responsible for real actual bad things.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

rommel was histories greatest geenral and hell, he was a good honournbal;e person to boot

Extra row of tits posted:

No, cause one is an imaginary bad guy it’s fun to enjoy and the other’s responsible for real actual bad things.

You two seem to have a lot to talk about.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

thrawn did a lot of good things that people like to forget about

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Thrawn you magnificent bastard I've read all your books and graphic novels!

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Thrawn brought peace to that one sector in that TIE fighter campaign

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
I don't get why disney is so stingy with ewoks. They're the best bit!

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Lucas kept tight control of ewoks when he transferred the property. That's why they have porgs everywhere, they're supposed to be ewoks

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Baby yoda is pretty cute but a baby ewok, come on. With a little spear

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Still sad the Obi Wan show didn't use this as its theme song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWcTbjSrguc

naem
May 29, 2011

was thrawn the fungus man or the insect guy

manero
Jan 30, 2006

I don't like all these star wars

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

naem posted:

was thrawn the fungus man or the insect guy

He's a member of the blue man group. His father is max rebo.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Saalkin posted:

He's a member of the blue man group. His father is max rebo.

he's actually jeff goldblum

https://youtu.be/gpSGtpl58dw

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

manero posted:

I don't like all these star wars

what about star peace?

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Vernii posted:

They should have just used the Galaxy Gun instead of coming up with Starkiller Base because it was less stupid and Abrams ended up ripping off Dark Empire anyway.

then the next movie they can bring in the Sun Crusher and the only Jedi who can destroy it is Goku

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Mulaney Power Move posted:

This happens in The Crystal Star. I have no memory of anything else that happens.

As somebody who read The Crystal Star as a kid, that is absolutely for the best. One of the worst things to come out of the EU.

Extra row of tits posted:

Thrawn was great at the time, a powerful enemy that wasn’t just strong because he had the force. Also he wasn’t just evil for the sake of it (like every sith ever).

His books were also the first(?) new star wars product since RotJ.

Thrawn is a great loving villain, probably the most fleshed out in Star Wars, and I don't get why people are treating that statement like Nazi apologia. I don't remember much else about the Zahn novels (other than LUUKE and one or two other bits), but Thrawn endures because of how well-constructed and unique he was in the Star Wars universe.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp
Well ok, he wasn't just evil. Why'd he do it?

e: and what was it he did?

shen
Jan 22, 2006

Vim Fuego posted:

Well ok, he wasn't just evil. Why'd he do it?

e: and what was it he did?

He was a very smart imperial admiral who came close to restoring the Empire through well-thought-out strategies and smart application of technology instead of some dumb superweapon. The trilogy of books he appeared in during the 90s is top tier.

He was so popular that Zahn kept writing more and more about him, and then when the Yuuzhan Vong storyline happened there was an attempt at retconning him into having known about the impending extra-galactic threat, and thus only trying to conquer the galaxy to better unify against it. It seemed like an attempt to soften his edges because he was such a fan favourite, but at the cost of cheapening the original book trilogy he appeared in.

I think he's in the new Disney animated shows now but those don't really appeal to me. I'll always enjoy the Holmes-Watson dynamic he had with his second-in-command when figuring out the New Republic's plans, and how even though he was a bad guy he recognized that occasionally giving positive feedback to his underlings produced better performance than Vader's one-strike-and-you're-choked-out management style.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Yeah, it was interesting having a villain in star wars who got to a high status because he was very competent instead of just having super powers.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Yes and it was also remarkable because the Empire was explicitly racist against nonhumans in EU canon and he was a blue skinned space dracula.

Is that also the case in the new EU?

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
We need that Kyle Katarn and Dash Rendar buddy cop movie.

The cool Dark Forces Kyle Katarn with all guns before he became another lame Jedi. And the Dash Rendar can be... whatever Dash Rendar was.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020

Mulaney Power Move posted:

he was a blue skinned space dracula.

This is a fantastic description.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020

shen posted:

He was a very smart imperial admiral who came close to restoring the Empire through well-thought-out strategies and smart application of technology instead of some dumb superweapon. The trilogy of books he appeared in during the 90s is top tier.

To provide some dorky clarification on this:

In the original EU the clone wars were fought between the republic (shortly before its fall) and armies of cloned soldiers which were described as “unstable”. Something about cloning caused the clones to be violent, mentally unstable and basically useless as normal people. This is why there was no cloning in the old SW universe. Thrawn figured out what caused the instability and “fixed it” meaning the empire could suddenly mass produce exact copies of its best pilots and soldiers.

Instant highly trained and effective armies.

It’s really interesting too, that if you pay attention throughout the trilogy Thrawns tactics are predominantly hit and run, commando, and limited heavily planned attacks, as they would have to be.. the empire was on its knees with few resources. The very first time he is forced into a toe to toe fight with a fleet it doesn’t go well as he’s simply outgunned. Then he dies and the empire effectively collapses.

shen
Jan 22, 2006

Oh yeah I'd forgotten all about that part with the unstable clones and the fix to the growing process. So many cool concepts introduced in that series. You're right, that final battle was the first big engagement where things he hadn't planned for started happening. Really his only blind spots were related to people working together and helping out instead of acting ruthlessly, like the smugglers unifying behind Karrde and Leia risking herself to help the Noghri. I think I'm talking myself into a re-read.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
I liked General Palleon watching in disbelief as planets formally requested to rejoin the empire because Thrawn was an effective, fair and (for the planets in the empire) moderate leader. The empire was better than the new republic when it was under his control.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp
In the books did the Empire stop being an allegory for the third reich?

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020

Vim Fuego posted:

In the books did the Empire stop being an allegory for the third reich?

Only until Thrawn kicks the bucket.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

What about Admiral Daala? Didn't she eventually usher in an era of galactic peace?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
She became the GM of the largest banana importer in the galaxy.

At least that’s what I assume, I read very little after the first Thrawn trilogy.