Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Intruder posted:

yessssssssssssssssss get the heck in

yeah for real. Star QB on a rookie deal is the time to go all the way the gently caress in on other positions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jJkdRaa04g

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Giving a 2nd away for a guy you are okay walking away after a year is so dumb lol

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Gaming a contract year out of someone is the new market inefficiency :colbert:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

A top 40 pick is a lot to give up or one year of a 30 year old WR. I was more ok with it when we could get 2-3 years out of it

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

Intruder posted:

A top 40 pick is a lot to give up or one year of a 30 year old WR. I was more ok with it when we could get 2-3 years out of it

Yeah, I thought it was an awesome deal, but then when they voided his remaining years, it seems like a bit of an overpay. Keenan Allen went for a 4th rounder, and both are gonna be FA after the season.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

EvilBeard posted:

Yeah, I thought it was an awesome deal, but then when they voided his remaining years, it seems like a bit of an overpay. Keenan Allen went for a 4th rounder, and both are gonna be FA after the season.

Moving guaranteed money from 2025 to 2024 made his cap hit basically the same as Allen and they were apparently in on him but got outbid by the Bears. Seems like they severely overcorrected cause they give up a 2nd when they could have probably gotten Allen by giving up the Eagles third instead

Seems like best case scenario is Diggs balls out and gets one last payday and they get a nice comp pick for him but I doubt he gets a contract big enough for it to be a third :shrug:

They also must have been really concerned about Diggs being a locker room problem to do this because there was no reason to. They're hoping this being a contract year will make him behave or something

Intruder fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Apr 5, 2024

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
I might be wrong but I think he isn’t going to factor into the comp pick formula because of how they shortened the contract.

Definitely agree that a 2 is a lot to give up for one year of diggs at this point but the money isn’t a big deal at least.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Bismack Billabongo posted:

I might be wrong but I think he isn’t going to factor into the comp pick formula because of how they shortened the contract.
You are correct according to OTC https://overthecap.com/texans-shorten-diggs-contract

Jason OTC posted:

By voiding out Diggs’ contract the Texans will not be eligible for a compensatory pick for Diggs when he leaves in free agency so this has nothing to do with trying to recover draft capital.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

So yeah a couple head scratchers from the Texans this offseason. Voiding those years, extending Mixon

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

My cynical, spurned lover take is that Diggs doesn't really want to be in Houston, either.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Supposedly he wants to play with Trevon, right? Cowboys and Texans play this year, so they get to go head to head once then become teammates

To be actually serious though, why the gently caress are they trading for him to begin with if he's vocally opposed to being in Houston so much that they have to void his remaining years to make him happy

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
I scrolled past a tweet on Reddit that seemed to suggest the bills let him pick his destination. I think if anything he probably is thrilled about the whole situation. Gets traded to a good team with an ascending QB, gets to reenter free agency after one year where he can, ideally, rehab his image and value if he just shuts up and doesn’t whine about targets.

Idk if he can manage that but we’ll see

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

if he just shuts up and doesn’t whine about targets.

Challenge (IMPOSSIBLE)

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Mr. Easterby is helping me sign my contract

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

I scrolled past a tweet on Reddit that seemed to suggest the bills let him pick his destination. I think if anything he probably is thrilled about the whole situation. Gets traded to a good team with an ascending QB, gets to reenter free agency after one year where he can, ideally, rehab his image and value if he just shuts up and doesn’t whine about targets.

Idk if he can manage that but we’ll see

The Bills told him he had permission to seek a trade with any team other than KC. I haven't heard anything about him "choosing" per se.

My totally speculative read on the situation is that the Texans were a generally acceptable landing spot (Super Bowl contender, elite QB) but Diggs has another dream team he really wants to get to next season (either KC or DAL). I don't know how Diggs will deal with not being the no-questions-asked WR1 but he can probably just ride through it for one year.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah I'd be worried about Diggs just not giving a poo poo this year because he's getting paid and even if he's bad this year, there's still a chance he gets a good contract next year because of how valuable WRs are right now.

Or he has a team in mind and doesn't care about the pay as much as going to where he wants.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
There's the risk he could just gently caress off for a year, but then he has a decent shot at a ring and playing well could raise his pay with whichever team he actually wants to join next year. It'd make sense to try even as a WR3 or whatever.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

Intruder posted:

So yeah a couple head scratchers from the Texans this offseason. Voiding those years, extending Mixon

I mean, it's not a head scratcher in that you're moving all your chips to the middle with a top tier QB on a rookie deal. The money is whatever. I think they could have done better on the draft comp, but you're just splitting hairs at that point. If you spend some extra money in these next 4 years, it's "whatever". You have the wiggle room to spend a little extra, because flags fly forever.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
The only move that I really think was just straight up dumb is Joe mixon on account of he’s a huge piece of poo poo

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

EvilBeard posted:

I mean, it's not a head scratcher in that you're moving all your chips to the middle with a top tier QB on a rookie deal. The money is whatever. I think they could have done better on the draft comp, but you're just splitting hairs at that point. If you spend some extra money in these next 4 years, it's "whatever". You have the wiggle room to spend a little extra, because flags fly forever.

Voiding the years and paying more for 2024 is a definite headscratcher unless you think Diggs is going to pout and moan otherwise in which case don't loving trade for him

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Lmao wow Josh Allen getting PAID by the Jags

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

five years 150 million... drat

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
That’s insane. Good for him. Jags really should have paid him before last year lol

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

That’s insane. Good for him. Jags really should have paid him before last year lol
That would require Trent Baalke to be smart.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

this is literally every move Baalke makes. he doesn't pay guys before they get too pricy, he often doesn't pay homegrown talent instead preferring to overpay for a dude that scorched his team last year

just a garbage GM who sticks around like a drat cockroach

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
I was kind of hoping they would dick around too long and let him hit the open market next year so Tennessee could steal more of their only good players but this megadeal is way funnier to me.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Allen deserves it. He's like the ONE player Balke has hit on the draft in the last decade.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Nice now we really don't have to worry about the jags fixing their offense

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.
You have Josh Allen to fix your offense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
It’s that new thread smell so we can all get hyped up for the draft and posting LOL when the jaguars select bo nix. Head on over.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4058330