Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Yay on the shellfish and farms!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
Let us fish, yes. Shellfish industry sounds like a grand time. A lobster for every worker!

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004
The awesome thing about shellfish is that many of their shells can also be used as a material in asphalt! Your roads are gunna smell great in the summer.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Minutes from the December Shady Sands Development Council Meeting

Happy Holidays everyone. I know it's bit early for that, but I've always been of the mindset that December is the month for it, no matter how early in we are.

First off, for a lot of March, you may have remembered seeing council bulldozers moving sand around. There's a subtle, but annoying, grade between Old Town and Palm Square. And while there's no way to completely remove it, I told the engineers to make it as level as they possibly could.

Make sure you have the right tool selected first. :v: Although now I'm left wondering the potential of a giant pit that we build something in.

After a few weeks, the hill between the two districts was a lot shallower - enough that we could start construction on the campus.

Initial designs were promising, but did not work out the way I wanted.

But eventually we had something that worked! There's enough room to eventually upgrade the high school to a higher capacity version, and...

As you might remember from when I designed the campus in Bailville, I feel it's important for the kids to have a place to hang out before and after school. This little park accomplishes that with aplomb, if I do say so myself.

Likewise, giving teenagers somewhere to spend time that isn't a park is also a really good idea. Who doesn't love a friendly game of hoops?

In a boneheaded move that would come back to bite us in the rear later, I told the Shady Sands DOT to forbid all unnecessary traffic around the education campus.

(Newspaper headline: Spring Break Over)

(Newspaper headline: Ribbon Cut at Old Town Learning Center)

Once the schools were situated, I had to invoke a lot of eminent domain to fix some perceived issues with the roads in Amber Springs.

This is purely for aesthetic reasons. Shorter streets improves walkability in the city. Cims don't have nearly as far to travel to reach a street that takes them to where they need to go.

In the immortal words of CityPlannerPlays, we're following the rules of roadway hierarchy here. The arched local roads terminate to collectors every 40 tiles. There's also a local collector at the 20 tile mark just to help cims move between the local roads. These collectors have a higher speed limit and no parking allowed. They also link up to the arterial running the length of the city. I also try to keep the arterial marked as "no parking" but for some reason, the game keeps removing that designation. So I'll zoom in to it and find that half the cims have decided to treat what is effectively a highway as a parking lot.

Most crucially of all, there are no stops at all on the collectors or the arterial. Even police, fire, and rescue all are placed on local roads. If you get on a collector or arterial, you are there to travel, not to stop every 5 feet because there's a billion shops.

So basically, there's no Stroads in Shady Sands.

The new road layout is nothing if not attractive.

Normally I try to respect the "green belt" between Main Street and the different neighborhoods, but I do think this looks better overall.

Residents were a little put out when they were temporarily evicted. But on the whole, reception to the new development has been positive. For some reason, our citizens love living on these little arched roads. I asked a few people why, and they claimed they felt they were especially fancy. Indeed, the new Amber Springs has already gained a reputation for being the upscale part of town.

Moving on, Sterling Davies here represents a genuine grassroots movement in town around this time. These meetings are matters of public record, of course. Nothing we say in them is secret, and there's no expectation of privacy. So I shouldn't have been surprised when the Shady Sands social media picked up and ran with something we were discussing.

Just like many of you were taken with the idea of a homegrown fishing industry, so were the folks in town. This cute little Chirp here shows that even in a corporate town like we are, the citizens still have a voice. They're the ones living here after all, and if they want something, then who are we to argue?

In late Spring, the city okayed the purchase of the plot of land to the south. Most of it's the bay, so it's not really ideal for building. But the coast was the real get here.

Some buildings, for some reason, come with their own road instead of just attaching to pre-existing ones. It's not really a big deal except in the odd circumstance we're in where the rest of the city is still on gravel roads.

(Newspaper Headline: Smelling Something Fishy? It's the New Seafood Market)

The way the fishing harbor works is you just draw the route the boats take. And they will catch fish the entire time they're out. So while most of our route is in shellfish waters, there's no avoiding getting some anchovies in the nets as well. The game doesn't really differentiate them as far as I can tell, outside of RP.

The catches are then delivered to the fish market for locals to buy.

(Newspaper headline: Neither Rain Nor Tide Stops the Fishermen)

I experimented with having two harbors, but it didn't really work out. They were both operating at half the amount of employees needed to fully staff one. However, you can now warehouse fish in the vanilla game so that's good at least. Nothing like the stench of shellfish sitting in a warehouse lot in 92 degree desert heat.

Uhh... 'sup?

Oh, the usual. A bunch of timber industry buildings that can't work because I forbid importing. Both schools also have a garbage problem and... Let me zoom and enhance...

WHAT THE gently caress?

It was while ironing out kinks and wrinkles in our harbor when I was alerted to a massive problem at the elementary school. Apparently there was a rash of muggings going on there, and I'm not talking about the standard 'give me your lunch money' bullying. No, these were armed criminals that were actually mugging teachers and students. Presumably because they weren't getting enough apples in their diet.

Oh and both schools had garbage collection problems. Upon investigation, I was told that a mandate from my own office had forbidden any sort of traffic near the learning center.

It was easy enough to fix, but it's super embarrassing it was a problem in the first place. Still no traffic allowed, but there's an exception for emergency vehicles and garbage trucks.

...July was not a good month for this city.

Come October, we finally put into place something I promised a while ago.

One of the casualties of the Great Mod Apocalypse, because Colossal Order has a pathological need to continue pushing updates that break mods, is that my handy "place trees in a straight line" tool is gone. I've since found a replacement, so I'll have to redo this later.

Just like I promised, there are now palm trees lining the road between Old Town and Palm Square. And there are benches every so often to take a seat on and relax.

For the sake of verisimilitude, these are date palms. Recall that (in the narrative) the city is sitting on a gigantic saltwater aquifer, which would poison most plants. Date and coconut palms, in particular, are capable of thriving in high salinity environments. So the learning center campus is lined with date palms!

(Caption: Drone-eye view shot of Palm Path, looking toward Palm Square)

The city is in a pretty good spot, here at the end of the year. Though we do have a few mounting problems. The power situation is, as ever, tenuous. Until we can find something better, we'll have to continue lining the coast with wind turbines.

Also, while the Amber Square expansion is still bringing new faces into the city, I'm told that demand for houses is at an all-time low. Right now, people really, desperately want to shop. Even more crucially, they are also clamoring for places to work. The harbor area is employing a few citizens, but not in the numbers we need to sustain growth. If we don't do something soon, the city will stop growing altogether until we address the employment problems.

We need an industrial area.

Just like at the last meeting, there is still a coalition of company farmers that want me to designate the hill overlooking the city as an industrial farm. I'm not sure how many crops we could grow this close to the bay, so we'd probably have to set up freshwater irrigation.

On the other hand, as the city continues to grow, we're going to need to plant more and more date and coconut palms to line the streets. Especially once we pave over the dirt roads, we're going to want a lot of tree-lined avenues. This is incredibly expensive, and we could save the company a lot of money by finding a nice flat spot to create a palm wood logging operation. This would also let the businesses in Palm Square actually operate.

No matter what we choose, the fishing harbor is staying in place. Anyway, this is the end of my presentation. So thank you all for your time. I'd now like to open the floor up for questions, comments, and concerns.

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
I'm voting for the palm wood logging operation, we badly need some shade around here for our local businesses. I have to wonder what could have started that fire, though. Poor safety, freak accident? A devious elementary school mugger turning to arson?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Palm logging. We need lots and lots of neat rows of closely planted and very dry palms.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

What use is palm tree wood? Don't palm trees take a really long time to grow?
Voting for the palm wood forestry btw

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Are we able to make a palm oil operation using the trees instead?

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

We should cultivate heart of palm!

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Siegkrow posted:

What use is palm tree wood? Don't palm trees take a really long time to grow?
Voting for the palm wood forestry btw

I kinda wrote myself into a corner when I said there's a huge saltwater aquifer. :v: So I'm handwaving the palm growth speed with the same "just roll with it" brush where multi-story buildings go up in a matter of seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

DoubleNegative posted:

I kinda wrote myself into a corner when I said there's a huge saltwater aquifer. :v: So I'm handwaving the palm growth speed with the same "just roll with it" brush where multi-story buildings go up in a matter of seconds.

Out of curiosity, is there anything like a desalination plant? Or some kind of water-related thing you could pass off as one, anyway.