Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

I'm sure I don't need to introduce Cities Skylines. The game that came out of nowhere after SimCity 2013 failed as hard as it was possible to fail. Skylines has been actively supported for the past 8 years, and indeed, there's even more DLC coming out in about three weeks. Supposedly it's the final bit of DLC for the game! So I figured why not take this time to create a zen garden city?

I'm not gonna make a grand promise like "Oh this LP will run for a thousand updates" and so on. I can't keep that promise and I doubt many could. What I can promise is that I'll keep updating as long as it holds my attention and is fun to do so. Once it becomes a chore, or if I'm left unable to for whatever reason, we'll declare the city finished and complete then. Sound fair? Cool.

About the LP

Because this is a chill, casual LP, we're gonna be doing a fun bit of roleplaying. You, the readers, are going to be the city planning council and every update is going to be treated like the minutes of one of our meetings. I'm going to be asking for input on how the city should grow, and I'm looking forward to putting in most reasonable requests. I'm not going to create CrimeCity USA, for instance. I want this town to be a generally nice place to live!

My goal for the LP is to create some really pretty screenshots of the city. If I succeed for even one person, then I'm happy.

The Ticking Time Bomb

Cities Skylines 2 is due out sometime this year, and Paradox keeps putting out DLC for the original game. The final bit of DLC is due out on May 23rd. There is every chance that a critical mod will suddenly stop working because of the DLC. If that happens, we'll adjust as best we can. I'm expecting that many of the mods I'm using will be unusable for around a week or two after the DLC launches. So there's gonna be some downtime at the end of May!

Mods?

Come on, it's a LP by me. Of course there's mods. I even created a Steam Workshop collection for every mod I'm using. I'll try to keep it up to date as they're updated and rendered obsolete. But as of the time of writing (April 30th, 2023) they all work perfectly! Most of them are utility mods that make the game playable.

Spoiler Policy?

Uh... how could you possibly spoil anything about this game? There's no story beyond whatever nonsense we come up with ourselves. The game's 8 years old, so there's no spoilers as far as I'm concerned.

Updates!

#01 - Jun 17th, 2023 Dustberg Planning Council Minutes
#02 - Nov 27th, 2023 Bailville Planning Council Minutes
#03 - Oct 22nd, 2024 Bailville Planning Council Minutes
#04 - Oct 2024 through Mar 2026 Mayor's Office Memos
#05 - May 2027 Bailville Planning Council Minutes
#06 - Acrossways Interlude Part 1 - Urbek City Builder
#07 - Acrossways Interlude Part 2 - Urbek City Builder
#08 - November 2027 Letter to the Bailville Planning Council
#09 - March 2028 Shady Sands Development Council Minutes
#10 - December 2028 Shady Sands Development Council Minutes

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Aug 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

#1 - June 17th, 2023

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 08:33 on May 3, 2023

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

City name: Bailville
River name: Desire path
Road name: triumph rd.
Long-term plan: Completely disallow cars. All movement must be either pedestrian, or done by bus, rail, subway, port, or air transport. Exception is made for things that absolutely must use freight vehicles.

Regallion fucked around with this message at 16:23 on May 1, 2023

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
Joining in, I like the idea of eventually eliminating carbon emissions and propose we stay towards the middle of our land. Not too close to the river, not too close to the highway.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

- Creep towards the waterfront for some prime real estate for future tourist attractions and nightlife locations.
- I'm not sure if C:S even works if private cars are banned (I ran with some issues trying this because of tourists' cars), but public transport is a priority!
- Replace the dirty industry with sustainable logging and farming industries. Funky roads are a must in these areas.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Also switch to metric units

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
The Law Firm of Arbor, Oak and Ash hereby let's the city manager know that there shall be trees on every intersection of this fair city, to promote tree law business citizen health

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Space Kablooey posted:

:emptyquote:

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

So far looks like...
  • Dustberg is going to become Bailville, which was founded near the Desire Path River.
  • Elisa Avenue is going to become Triumph Avenue (Or Road/Street/Highway)
  • A citywide ban on automobiles would be possible, but that would also affect freight traffic. That wouldn't really be feasible in the long term, sadly. What I can do is add a crapload of mass transit options as well as install bike lanes on most city streets. Between those, we can reduce unnecessary car trips to a minimum.
  • Lots of trees. Once we're paving over the dirt roads, that will also be no problem to implement.
  • Sustainable logging and farming industry. Actual industry areas are a couple of progression milestones off, but I am very eager to implement one of these. We'll have to decide which we want to do first, but this is a priority!
  • Once we hit 900 residents, my plan is to convert the dirty industry into food production facilities. They won't be growing much there, because there's no fertility, but we can still have a bunch of non (or low) polluting cereal factories, bakeries, and butcher shops.
  • The list in the update didn't show it, but we also have a waste-to-energy plant now available. Screenshot below. It's really expensive, but it could outright replace the coal power plant and cover the city's garbage needs basically forever. We also have recycling centers, but with as young as the city is, I only want to put one or the other in place right now.

EDIT: The Coal plant puts out 50 pollution. So the advanced incineration plant is a pretty hefty 40% reduction in pollution.

Also to give an extreme eye view of the city, here's all the land currently available to build on:

• More housing back toward the highway without crowding it.
  • Tourism and high-dollar houses toward the river.

I probably should have included this in the update, but this is where we can build. I'd rather not cross the river just yet, but we still have a lot of space open to us. A waterfront tourism district sounds like a really good idea, but that will definitely be a long-term goal. However, I'm not sure we have the space available to squeeze in another neighborhood next to the highway without crowding it out.

Space Kablooey posted:

This, however, won't be happening. I can add metric translations to the imperial measurements, but I have zero context for how fast stuff is in KM/H.

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 01:18 on May 2, 2023

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

DoubleNegative posted:

This, however, won't be happening. I can add metric translations to the imperial measurements, but I have zero context for how fast stuff is in KM/H.

That's fair. It was worth a try.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

e: 100 km is around 60mi and 40km is around 25mi and imo those are really the only numbers you need: highway speed, not-a-schoolzone speed, pretty much everything else is just somewhere in there, like jazz

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

DoubleNegative posted:

• Elisa Avenue is going to become Triumph Avenue (Or Road/Street/Highway)
I hope to see a "Road Street Highway" (or some other permutation) somewhere.

This might be a good spot for the tourism area? Well away from both the highway and the water stuff, and when it's time to cross the river you've got what looks like a beach.

Kodos666
Dec 17, 2013
The best way to deal with sewage and provide power is to build a sewage-electric dam. Pump in sewage at the top of a suitable valley, dam up the bottom and watch the power-problems evaporate.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

DoubleNegative posted:

The list in the update didn't show it, but we also have a waste-to-energy plant now available. Screenshot below. It's really expensive, but it could outright replace the coal power plant and cover the city's garbage needs basically forever. We also have recycling centers, but with as young as the city is, I only want to put one or the other in place right now.

If the WtE plant is going to cover the entirety of the garbage needs, then I dunno, it feels a little cheat-y to me. I'd vote to go for the Recycling Centers.

DoubleNegative posted:

I probably should have included this in the update, but this is where we can build. I'd rather not cross the river just yet, but we still have a lot of space open to us. A waterfront tourism district sounds like a really good idea, but that will definitely be a long-term goal. However, I'm not sure we have the space available to squeeze in another neighborhood next to the highway without crowding it out.

Yeah the tourist/nightlife specializations require highly-educated citizens, and we don't even have Elementary Schools yet! Definitely a long-term goal.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Whatever happens, I must protest the further use of grids.
#downwithgrids

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Quantum Toast posted:

This might be a good spot for the tourism area? Well away from both the highway and the water stuff, and when it's time to cross the river you've got what looks like a beach.

I like that idea, and vote for it that matters. Having it serviced by ferries (which also zigzag across the river) would be cool. Maybe some forestry to the east. It's both sustainable and the third shift at the sawmills will double as entertainment.

Space Kablooey posted:

Yeah the tourist/nightlife specializations require highly-educated citizens, and we don't even have Elementary Schools yet! Definitely a long-term goal.
Can't simply highly educated people move into the city? :psyduck:

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Poil posted:

I like that idea, and vote for it that matters. Having it serviced by ferries (which also zigzag across the river) would be cool. Maybe some forestry to the east. It's both sustainable and the third shift at the sawmills will double as entertainment.

Can't simply highly educated people move into the city? :psyduck:

It's not a thing that I've noticed happening IME. Not in any volume that filled the required jobs at least.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Something else to mention! Unlike any other natural resource, we can outright paint forestry resources by planting trees. So don't feel we have to stick to existing trees if we don't want to. Doing so will erase existing soil fertility, however, so we can't overlay logging and farming together.

Anyway, update later tonight. Once I record it!

EDIT: Also, yeah, we'll have to grow our own highly educated citizens at home in Bailville. That won't be an issue!

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

#2 - Nov 27th, 2023 Bailville Planning Council Minutes

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 13:09 on May 7, 2023

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

I'd buy the East parcel and go agriculture industry there. The townhall I think would be cooler near the river.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Average Lettuce posted:

I'd buy the East parcel and go agriculture industry there. The townhall I think would be cooler near the river.

This. I don't feel it's time for crossing either the river or the highway just yet...

E: I'm indifferent on where to place the town hall.

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 14:21 on May 3, 2023

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

South parcel, build Lumber industry (lumberjacks are ok), city park and town hall near river (preferably really close to it so it can catch the weird jello waves and risk being flooded each time).

-What should we do with all of this heavily polluted land full of toxins, heavy metals, horrible chemicals and chirper knows what else?
-Let's grow crops and raise livestock on it.
-Brilliant!
:v:

Could we put landfills and sewage on the same little dirt road and name it trump avenue? Anyway, I like the ways to ungrid the city.

Poil fucked around with this message at 16:07 on May 3, 2023

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Average Lettuce posted:

Agree with all of this. But, the Law Offices of Arbor, Oak and Ash must protest the vehicular traffic planning. We must plan for the future, not the past. Signage and lights are sooooo last century. Traffic circles and rotaries are the future or so say our insurance company clients paying us to say this!

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

east, city park, town hall close to old town because that's thematically appropriate

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Space Kablooey posted:

This. I don't feel it's time for crossing either the river or the highway just yet...
East seems most natural to me, for pretty much this reason.

Is there anything that benefits from being at a higher elevation? Completely flattening out the hill seems a bit contrary to the general environmental direction, and I'm curious whether it could be made useful for something.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Quantum Toast posted:

East seems most natural to me, for pretty much this reason.

Is there anything that benefits from being at a higher elevation? Completely flattening out the hill seems a bit contrary to the general environmental direction, and I'm curious whether it could be made useful for something.

Wind turbines in theory would produce maximum output at higher elevations. In practice, only specific parts of the map have 8MW of output on wind generators.

Anyway, I don't really intend to completely flatten the hill. I just wanna shave off the top of it to create a more flat area upon which to build. It would offer some killer views of the surrounding area!

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

biosterous posted:

east, city park, town hall close to old town because that's thematically appropriate

As council member, I support CouncilPerson biosterous' proposal. Furthermore, the view from the flattened mountain top would be a great place for a high end residential area (if that sort of thing is modeled in the game).

Edit: I also would like to discuss the possibility of paving our roads.

Chuck_D fucked around with this message at 16:23 on May 3, 2023

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

DoubleNegative posted:

Wind turbines in theory would produce maximum output at higher elevations. In practice, only specific parts of the map have 8MW of output on wind generators.

Anyway, I don't really intend to completely flatten the hill. I just wanna shave off the top of it to create a more flat area upon which to build. It would offer some killer views of the surrounding area!
Ah, yeah, that's the kind of thing I was thinking of.

Sounds good to me!

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Quantum Toast posted:

High Street Boulevard

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

CannonFodder posted:

High Street Boulevard

Walkway Highway!

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

berryjon posted:

Walkway Highway!
Parkway Lane

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

#03 - Oct 22nd, 2024 Bailville Planning Council Minutes

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 00:36 on May 13, 2023

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

The Law Offices of Arbor Oak and Ash wish to apologize to the city. A brand new associate delivered a cease and desist letter to the previous farm tenant, which caused the crop destruction issue. The associate has been sent to get some continuing education.

In other requests, we have been requested to lobby the town to name the park "PepsiCo Tree-land". Our benefactors are truly trying to green their operation by subsidizing parks like ours. Or, alternatively, they will be happy to donate the education campus if a street nearby is named PepsiCo Avenue.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Parks:
Amuse-gueule (amusement park)
Au naturel (nature preserve)
Zoolander (zoo)
Parking lot (generic)

Farms: Meating place
Mining: Probing zone
Oil: Land of tar and fire

Major roads:
Very safe road
Maine street (to be situated WAY out of town, the e is silent)
Delight avenue (absolutely somewhere industrial)
No walking blvd (must be a pedestrian path)

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

DoubleNegative posted:

If I'm being honest here, I no longer know which way is north.
Congratulations on becoming a real city planner! :toot:

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
This council member has no input aside from saying that this city is looking very beautiful! I've not seen many that look this good in my time.

Fantastic work! :golfclap:

this is in part due to how most of the people i've watched play Skylines create nightmarish disaster (of both natural and civic variety) ridden landscapes, but the point remains

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

Given that the park has giant chess boards, we could name it the "Ding Liren Park" in honor of the new world champion.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

putting the bird sanctuary right next to a nightly fireworks show seems accidentally cruel :v:

i know you won't need it, but i'd like to see some of the disaster-relief stuff in reasonable places, just for fluff reasons

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

I understand why they added level-related unlocks and population unlocks, but what a stupid decision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

biosterous posted:

putting the bird sanctuary right next to a nightly fireworks show seems accidentally cruel :v:

Uh... whoops! :doh:

Odd Wilson posted:

This council member has no input aside from saying that this city is looking very beautiful! I've not seen many that look this good in my time.

Fantastic work! :golfclap:

Thanks! Detailing is such an important step in making cities look good. Even if it's just as simple as putting down trees and shrubbery, it helps give areas a lot of character.

Anyway, I sat down tonight to record and have almost 2 hours of footage. And upon looking at the city at the end, I'd be hard pressed to tell you any major changes that occurred. It doesn't have any new population milestones. In fact, I didn't place any zoning at all tonight! Although I did successfully 'debug' the farm area not exporting anything.